Southampton cruise parking nightmare

justfred

Just considering to book our first P&O cruise from Southampton in December.

we generally cruise with RCCL whose car park is right next to the ship and when you park your car there it stays where you park it and you keep the keys.

My problem is I Cannot find a P&O cruise terminal car park which will also let you keep your keys!!.

Basically I don't like the idea of the car park attendants shunting my car around

putting it at risk of getting damaged which we have experienced in the past.

Do anybody else have the same thoughts, and what is the alternative solution!!

Cheers

Pete

I don't know where you are travelling from but have you considered a hotel that does parking in Southampton, then a taxi to the ship

We do that at Gatwick, pay for an overnight stay in the hotel and get two weeks parking for not much more than parking fees at the airport, we always keep the car keys too

There maybe Southampton hotels that do that, just a thought

My hubby does not like leaving his keys either but they have always been very good and we have never had a problem with the parking at Southampton

Edited by rubydoobydoo

Just considering to book our first P&O cruise from Southampton in December.

we generally cruise with RCCL whose car park is right next to the ship and when you park your car there it stays where you park it and you keep the keys.

My problem is I Cannot find a P&O cruise terminal car park which will also let you keep your keys!!.

Basically I don't like the idea of the car park attendants shunting my car around

putting it at risk of getting damaged which we have experienced in the past.

Do anybody else have the same thoughts, and what is the alternative solution!!

Cheers

Pete

We have used the system for 12 years with 20+ cruises, completely satisfied with car parking company P&O use. I cannot recall any others complaining about CPS either.

You could try a hotel but their car parks are less secure than those at the port.

Gan Canny

Dai

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

My experiences of using the parking on the dock side at Southampton, have been nothing but exemplary. I compare that to the one occasion when using a hotel near Gatwick to stay one night then park for a fortnight, where it was nothing short of a disgrace.

In my opinion park with confidence at Southampton.

We have used CPS three times, but the ABP car parking arrangements as used by RCI and Celebrity is a much better service. Park car, leave it and its where you left it when you return. Its also a good deal cheaper.

Our last CPS experience lead to a wait of almost 2 hours to drop the car off due to system problems and staff shortages.

We have used CPS three times, but the ABP car parking arrangements as used by RCI and Celebrity is a much better service. Park car, leave it and its where you left it when you return. Its also a good deal cheaper.

Our last CPS experience lead to a wait of almost 2 hours to drop the car off due to system problems and staff shortages.

Thats a rare blip. CPS do a fine job and I have no concerns leaving my keys....,,,,why would you? Its way easier than parking for a RCI or Celebrity Cruise.

I compare that to the one occasion when using a hotel near Gatwick to stay one night then park for a fortnight, where it was nothing short of a disgrace.

Hmmm. Been there, done that.

I used "secure parking" at a hotel near Gatwick that shall remain nameless. I returned to find the front end of my car disassembled and spread across the car park. Meanwhile my car had been knocked sideways out of it's space and now shared a space with the car next door (which had a dent the shape of my car in it's wing).

In comparison, CPS were a dream! Pull up outside, someone empties your cases out the boot and whisks them away, you hand over your keys and stroll onto your ship (via check in and security of course).

Easy - and safe!

I have just been reading an article about valet parking and car insurance, apparently most car insurance policies do not cover damage caused when using valet parking.

I have used CPS several times, so far with no problems, but I have to agree the ABP system used by RCCL & Celebrity is much better.

Have you considered leaving the car at home and travelling by coach to Southampton? We have used CPS numerous times with absolutely no problems but when we take a "winter" cruise my husband prefers to leave the cars tucked up in the garage at home and we take the Eavesway coach service. We have found Eavesway to be very good and from Staffordshire the cost for 2 of us is comparable to CPS charges for 2 weeks and we don't have the cost of fuel so it actually works out less expensive.

Have you considered leaving the car at home and travelling by coach to Southampton? We have used CPS numerous times with absolutely no problems but when we take a "winter" cruise my husband prefers to leave the cars tucked up in the garage at home and we take the Eavesway coach service. We have found Eavesway to be very good and from Staffordshire the cost for 2 of us is comparable to CPS charges for 2 weeks and we don't have the cost of fuel so it actually works out less expensive.

Only issue there is Eavesway tend to arrive later in the day. It seems a great service but if you want to get onboard earlier and grab some lunch it's a bit more limiting. Less time to get unpacked and settled before muster and sail away too.

Still, if you're worried about the car, it's a great option.

Another 'thumbs-up' here for CPS. Used them numerous times without any problems. It is simplicity itself - certainly no harder than parking it yourself and never had any damage or worries. I do know one person whose car suffered some minor damage but it was sorted swiftly & efficiently by CPS.

Edited by Britboys
typo

Nightmare? You must be a very nervous car owner. Are you sure you don't mean "minor worry"? ;)

Solutions - go by Eavesway as already suggested, go by train and get a taxi from the station, or find a secure parking area of your own and get a taxi from there.

You could always contact the parking company to see if there's any chance they'd let you park it yourself - but I suspect they wouldn't want the extra hassle and their insurance may not allow it, anyway.

We've used CPS many, many times and only had one problem with our car.

We do, however, feel they have become rather expensive of late, and wouldn't use them if we travelled with P&O again.

We usually stay at the Dolphin Hotel in Southampton, as they do a brilliant Cruise & Stay package, and you park the car at the hotel yourself, and although they prefer you to leave your keys, if you don't want to we've never had a problem.

It's handy for town for dinner the night before the cruise, and a very short taxi drive away from the port.

Lou

We used the RCI parking on a recent cruise on Independence and I MUCH prefer the P&O system which has always been so much more straightforward and quicker. We were parked at the far end of the RCI car park so had to walk back quite a way with our luggage - or at least it felt like that with heavy luggage. With P&O, we would just have pulled up and our luggage and car would have been whisked away while we made our way onto the ship to start our cruise. We find the whole experience with CPS completely stress-free.

Always used CPS and found it just fine although I usually leave my spare car keys with them and keep my main ones (just in case!). Also, unless you return to a different terminal, the cars are not shunted around, just parked and left. Most of the drivers seem to be mature sensible people.

They are expensive but very convenient, and often free when I book the cruise.

When I used a cruise and stay package at the Hilton, I still had to leave my keys with them.

Edited by Host Sharon