Southampton cruise parking nightmare

justfred

We used the RCI parking on a recent cruise on Independence and I MUCH prefer the P&O system which has always been so much more straightforward and quicker. We were parked at the far end of the RCI car park so had to walk back quite a way with our luggage - or at least it felt like that with heavy luggage. With P&O, we would just have pulled up and our luggage and car would have been whisked away while we made our way onto the ship to start our cruise. We find the whole experience with CPS completely stress-free.

When we have used the same parking for X Eclipse we have always unloaded our luggage at the unloading bays and then gone to park our car, that way you only have hand luggage to tote.

:) Think I can offer a sensible alternative, and cheaper by 50% TOO.!!!

OK if you pay big bucks you can get the free parking offer, but if not CPS is in my mind very expensive.

After trawling around I found Southampton Airport Long Stay Car Park to be ideal - and the rates are as much as 50% cheaper than (P&O) - CPS.

The cost - 23 nights £69.00 -(December 2012) 11 nights (September 2013) - £60.00

You can either travel by Taxi from the Airport £25.00. one way, or alternatively take the train into Southampton £3.60 single, and then a taxi to the terminal approx £6.00. One the way back there are always taxi's outside the terminal, ask the driver to drop you at the long term car park bus stop - it really is convientient - left terminal at 08:45, driving out of car park at 09:20 - again for me it's great on the right side of Southampton.

Car Park is police endorsed so no probem there.

Big Joe

We have used cps many times and never had any problems, however for longer cruises the parking can prove expensive and we have used De Vere New Place Cruise and Stay. For £189We have got dinner, bed & breakfast, left the car in the furthest car park, then been provided with a taxi to take us to the ship and picked up again when we dock. An extra days holiday for the price of the parking.

Always used CPS and found it just fine although I usually leave my spare car keys with them and keep my main ones (just in case!). Also, unless you return to a different terminal, the cars are not shunted around, just parked and left. Most of the drivers seem to be mature sensible people.

They are expensive but very convenient, and often free when I book the cruise.

When I used a cruise and stay package at the Hilton, I still had to leave my keys with them.

The cars are shunted around. They are driven from drop off to a holding area and parked very close together, they are then moved into the car park for pick up.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your inputs and advice, isn't cruise critic a great site.

After making many countless enquires on line the Eagle has landed, and we have finely found and booked a company who will let me keep my keys, not only that but the cars are kept undercover and they also arrange for a private taxi to and from the ship at their expense, which takes only five mins each way. we think its not over priced at (£80) for 11 days. On the downside its a very small company and they can only accommodate for about 25 cars. (Not sure if I'm aloud to mention company names on CC , perhaps someone can advice me!!

Kind regards

Pete & Chris

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your inputs and advice, isn't cruise critic a great site.

After making many countless enquires on line the Eagle has landed, and we have finely found and booked a company who will let me keep my keys, not only that but the cars are kept undercover and they also arrange for a private taxi to and from the ship at their expense, which takes only five mins each way. we think its not over priced at (£80) for 11 days. On the downside its a very small company and they can only accommodate for about 25 cars. (Not sure if I'm aloud to mention company names on CC , perhaps someone can advice me!!

Kind regards

Pete & Chris

Yes, you can mention the name. We used Parking4Cruises twice and can highly recommend them. They take our car from just near where we drop off the luggage and are there to meet us on our return. We would recommend them highly and there will be others who agree I know.

Hmmm. Been there, done that.

I used "secure parking" at a hotel near Gatwick that shall remain nameless. I returned to find the front end of my car disassembled and spread across the car park. Meanwhile my car had been knocked sideways out of it's space and now shared a space with the car next door (which had a dent the shape of my car in it's wing).

In comparison, CPS were a dream! Pull up outside, someone empties your cases out the boot and whisks them away, you hand over your keys and stroll onto your ship (via check in and security of course).

Easy - and safe!

I feel your pain. Whilst my car did not suffer any physical damage, it was the fact that other cars parked so close, the passenger doors could not be opened. This led to an undignified entrance through the boot, in the dark. The other factor was the countless other patrons waiting for a space who follow you and your cases in the hope of getting the newly vacated space. Never again.

I left my car at Southampton last November 2012. I sailed with P&O. They drove the car away and when I returned the car was in a safe place, and no damage. I'm again using the same car parking facility twice next year. Hope this helps. The car hadn't been driven apart from to the car park.