Sea Sickness Cure....

firstcruiseever

Bonine - also known as:

Meclizine is an antihistamine that reduces the effects of natural chemical histamine in the body.

Meclizine is used to treat or prevent nausea, vomiting, and dizziness caused by motion sickness. Meclizine is also used to treat symptoms of vertigo (dizziness or spinning sensation) caused by disease that affects your inner ear.

You can google it.

Edited by Colorado Kat

What is that?

Bonine is a trade name for motion sickness pills that contain the chemical meclizene. It is also the chemical in "less drowsy" Dramamine.

You can buy Rugby brand meclizene in most pharmacies and large stores that handle pharmaceuticals. (Wal Mart) Much less expensive than Bonine and has the same active ingredient.

It works well for many people and doesn't normally cause drowsiness. Most who ise it start a day or two before the cruise and take one or two tablets before bedtime each day. By taking it at bedtime, you eliminate the problems of those who may become drowsy by using it.

Other remedies for seasickness are ginger tablets, Sea band wrist bands etc. The wrist bands work on the accupressure theory by putting pressure on the spot on your wrist that is supposed to stop upset stomache problems.

Edited by swedish weave

My DD (23) is nervous about being seasick for our upcoming cruise, so I picked up several things, including Ginger Chews from Trader Joe's.

I found Motioneaze, an all natural oil formula that you rub behind each ear about an hour before travel.

There is no side effects and it is non drowsy.

The reviews on-line are all very good, so I hope this works.

I bought Dramamine also, just in case.

So what can I do for sea sickness? I had it on the last cruise... not sure if i will get it again. I have some peppermint essential oil, some benadryl, and dramamine. Any other advice or things to take with me??

Ginger Root capsules sold at Walmart in the vitamin section.. look on bottom shelf ( this is where i find then in my store mine are 550 mg.) around $5 for 100 capsules. Take on in morning amd one in evening 7 days before and during your cruise .

Or ginger ale , ginger candy, saltine crackers or green apple will help settle a quizy stomach.

I also take Papaya Enzymes Pills to help with digestion after a heavy meal it will also help a quizy or crampy stomach.

Sea Bands help some people but have not tried them myself.

My DD (23) is nervous about being seasick for our upcoming cruise, so I picked up several things, including Ginger Chews from Trader Joe's.

I found Motioneaze, an all natural oil formula that you rub behind each ear about an hour before travel.

There is no side effects and it is non drowsy.

The reviews on-line are all very good, so I hope this works.

I bought Dramamine also, just in case.

I love the Motioneze it works great!!!

Isn't there the patches that you wear behind the ears? I know that one cruise I had them.

I believe they are called Transderm Scop patches and I think they are controlled which means you need a prescription for them. DW used them one time and had blurred vision and other side effects.

She tried Bonine (meclizene) and has had no problems since, so she uses it every cruise.

I am very prone to motion sickness so on our first several cruises I used "the patch" but I experienced several side effects (dizziness, blurred vision) so I stopped using them. I now use Bonine and have experienced no side effects and I have yet to feel motion sickness. I start taking them the day before the cruise and I take one every day when I wake up. It works amazing for me!

Bonine is the only way to go for me because it won't make me sleepy like Benedryl and Dramamine. I HATE going on vacation and then not being able to keep my eyes open!

If you want to use the patch, try it out a couple of weeks before you sail. I had the worst side effects with the patch, pretty much made me miserable during my first cruise. I would never do the patch again. Go with Bonine!

Dramamine knocks me out , and Bonine makes me feel jittery and nervous (I'm probably an odd exception in that), but the seabands really helped me. It may be a placebo effect, but we once sailed around two tropical storms and I never once had a problem in the rough seas wearing them :)

I was prone to carsick, seasick, you name it, since I was a kid (won't admit how many years ago - LOL) Dramamine works, but left me drowsy, but used it anyway for ages. The patch works, but you have to have a prescription, and it is pricy, and had issues.

I tried Ginger Root, a couple in the morning, and a couple at night- several days before, and during the trip. Has worked great for me for all kinds of travel. No side affects. ImageUploadedByForums1384482011.868710.jpg.6e8cb9af2c61ff745a7f6dd0106c3dc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5C using Forums mobile app.

Book and/or change to a midship cabin on the lower/lowest deck - not one of those of Fwd or Aft wraparound balcony if prone to motion sickness. Plus, all of the above would ease the tossing around - order room service instead of sitting in the buffet or MDR looking out the rising & falling horizon.

Rough & choppy seas with wind blowing diagonally across the bow high up on the Lido+ deck is a sure way to a "joyride"

Book and/or change to a midship cabin on the lower/lowest deck - not one of those of Fwd or Aft wraparound balcony if prone to motion sickness. Plus, all of the above would ease the tossing around - order room service instead of sitting in the buffet or MDR looking out the rising & falling horizon.

Rough & choppy seas with wind blowing diagonally across the bow high up on the Lido+ deck is a sure way to a "joyride"

Well, we have the very center on the Riviera deck, so that should help :)

So what can I do for sea sickness? I had it on the last cruise... not sure if i will get it again. I have some peppermint essential oil, some benadryl, and dramamine. Any other advice or things to take with me??

Bonine.

On my first cruise, 17 cruises ago, I was seasick during a crossing from Southampton to NY. I swore I would never set foot on a ship again. I tried the patch on the 2nd cruise, and it didn't work that well for me. I switched to Bonine for the rest of the cruises and it worked great. I probably don't need to take anything now because I have my sea legs after a number of cruises, but better safe than sorry. I don't leave home without it!!

I rarely ever get seasick.....but on my last cruise in Sept on the Splendor....WoWEE did it ever hit me.

I was seasick for 2 1/2 of the last days of the cruise. I had the sea bands, they did nothing...I drank a 6 pack of ginger ale ...it did nothing...I took the lone Bonine that was in the bathroom goodies....it did nothing. I remember reading on these threads about the apples and even tried those.....nothing...

It was just one of those things that I hope never happens again..

In the past, I usually start taking ginger tabs a few days before my cruise and then 1 a day during the cruise. I will definitely go back to that regiment .

Good luck with whatever works for you as everyone is different :)

I rarely ever get seasick.....but on my last cruise in Sept on the Splendor....WoWEE did it ever hit me.

I was seasick for 2 1/2 of the last days of the cruise. I had the sea bands, they did nothing...I drank a 6 pack of ginger ale ...it did nothing...I took the lone Bonine that was in the bathroom goodies....it did nothing. I remember reading on these threads about the apples and even tried those.....nothing...

It was just one of those things that I hope never happens again..

In the past, I usually start taking ginger tabs a few days before my cruise and then 1 a day during the cruise. I will definitely go back to that regiment .

Good luck with whatever works for you as everyone is different :)

Once you're already sea sick, you sort of just have to let it run its course. Bonine, ginger ale, etc. will help, but they're more preventive measures than cures. :)

Bonine and ginger pills get my vote as well. I just look at the water and I feel sick. Its terrible. This is what I do…

A day or two before I start taking the bonnie at bedtime. I do this so I do not feel the drowiness that may occur. I repeat taking the bonnie every night at bedtime.

I take a ginger pill with every meal.

Since I have been taking this ritual, I have enjoyed 5 cruises without incident.

Good Luck

~Sweet~

I am one of the exceptions with Bonine - it puts me to sleep!!!! (so do the non-drowsy cold medicines).

I use the sea bands and they worked fine - even with the 18-20' swells we had on one cruise. When I have not worn them, I did get queasy.

Put them on before the ship sails and leave them on. I only take them off when we are in port then put them back on before we sail. They can be worn in the water - so wear them in the shower, pool, etc.

As you can see, a remedy that works for one person may not for the next.

The best thing to do is to try out different remedies while still on land. See which ones give you side effects and which ones don't. Pack a few types that don't and among those, you may be okay.

Another thing: if you're on certain medications, you should ask your doctor which ones you should avoid. For example, if you're on blood thinners, you'll want to avoid ginger products.

Myself, I'll buy ginger chews and ginger Altoids and take those, as many of the OTC pills make me drowsy. My mother who gets motion sickness at the drop of a hat, got a prescription for the patch for her one cruise, and said it worked wonderfully.

My daughter and hubby never get motion sickness at all. So when we're going on a itinerary that can get rough seas, we try to get a mid ships cabin for me. We were in a far forward on our Alaskan cruise and I had absolutely no problem, and I can't even look at a map in a moving car without feeling sick