How could RCL Improve?

I would be thrilled if RCI would improve their website. Give me a deck plan with all the available cabins lit up with icons. Don't make me scroll back and forth trying to find what I want.

Secondly, please just enforce the rules that you have posted. If the sign says that ball caps are NOT allowed in the dining room, then tell the guy with the cap that he needs to remove it. They are so caught up in not offending the offender that they are forgetting all about those who follow the rules! We don't need NEW rules, just the existing rules ENFORCED!! :)

Swapping shows would still be very expensive as the sets would have to be rebuilt and installed on the new ship.

Very true, but that doesn't mean it couldn't, or shouldn't be done, lol :)! Sets are paid for - at that point it would just be labor. I'm sure they couldn't do this with the shows on the Oasis class ships, but I still think it's a viable suggestion, especially with ships such as Freedom that dock in the same port all year and frequent many repeat cruisers.

For me, something I think RCI needs badly is the option of fresh cooked pizza, burgers & hot dogs on the pool deck like Princess. There just isn't time to go the the Windjammer to get a take away and come back to the pool area, even if the food in the Windjammer was worthy of doing that, which it sadly isn't.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I wish the MDR was open on embarkation day for lunch. NCL does this and it was so nice to walk onto our NCL ship and sit and have a relaxing meal w/o having to drag our carryon all over the place. (And for the record, I think RCCL beats the pants off NCL in almost every other way, but that MDR lunch was great.) We're going on Allure in a couple of months and made lunch reservations at Giovanni's Table for embarkation day so we don't have to do the Windjammer obstacle course.

Totally agree re the pool towels - what a pain! - and would love to have a lemonade/iced tea station available 24 hours somewhere like the promenade cafe or pool deck.

I would like to see Royal change the production shows on a regular basis - like maybe 3 years on each ship. If it is a monetary issue for Royal, they could just swap shows amongst ships.

This is by far the the area they could improve the most. You can't drag out the same production shows year after year after year and even pretend that you're making an effort.

You have some talented people. Give them an opportunity to develop something fresh. And then rotate the shows between ships so that when you go back on the same ship 3 years later the entertainment doesn't feel so stale.

Go back to the original way of getting a pool towel - have the cabin steward leave 2 in the room for you.

I've never had a problem getting a towel.

Keep the Windjammer open 24 hours.

Absolutely. This would really help the older ships compete. Sure, the newer ships have a dizzying array of dining options. But if you research the cruise and see that the WJ has an attractive selection available 24 hours a day most people will be impressed.

On ships with a Royal Promenade, have a drink station set up with iced tea and lemonade 24 hours.

Yep. Not everyone drinks coffee or tea.

Get rid of those expensive hand-held Bingo machines. Bingo used to be more fun when everyone had the same chance to win with just the paper cards. Most of the winners are playing on the machines, and at $50+ for each Bingo session, it is ridiculous.

N/A to me.

Give us some more varied Caribbean itineraries to choose from - maybe 10 & 12 days to the Southern Caribbean or Panama Canal partial and full transits. I'm tired of the same old 7 day eastern and western itineraries.

Yes. You see some of the last minute deals on these 7 day itineraries and you wonder whether they couldn't attract some more revenue by adding a little variety. My suspicion is that they know what they are doing though.

------------------------------------------

Great post. I think you nailed it.

I think the other thing that could be vastly improved is the ship information available on the website. The main page for a ship has very sparse information. And when you follow the links you very quickly end up at generic information for the class or the even the entire fleet. Soon it becomes very difficult to determine whether what you are reading applies to the ship you are researching.

The result is that 95% of your research on a cruise ends of being done on websites other than RCL (hello CC :D). Other sites have more specific information about what is on each ship. They have more detailed cabin information. They have better photography and it is of the ship you are researching (not generic fleet shots and artist's renderings).

I think from RCL's perspective that is an opportunity lost.

IC

Edited by InsideCruiser

I think I've mentioned this before, but I wish the MDR was open on embarkation day for lunch. NCL does this and it was so nice to walk onto our NCL ship and sit and have a relaxing meal w/o having to drag our carryon all over the place. (And for the record, I think RCCL beats the pants off NCL in almost every other way, but that MDR lunch was great.) We're going on Allure in a couple of months and made lunch reservations at Giovanni's Table for embarkation day so we don't have to do the Windjammer obstacle course.

Totally agree re the pool towels - what a pain! - and would love to have a lemonade/iced tea station available 24 hours somewhere like the promenade cafe or pool deck.

I have mentioned this on a previous post, as well. I don't want to look for a table in the buffet, while dragging carryons around. Even if the MDR would have a limited menu, open it for Embarkation lunch.

Maybe, passengers can make this suggestion to the HD director at CC Meet & Greets.

And I have no idea why Nassau is such a popular port. I'd rather sleep in and spend the day on the empty ship than to get off in Nassau.

For goodness sake Atlantis now charges people to go to the Aquarium. No thanks, I'll sit by the pool with a drink and a multitude of empty seats to choose from. :D

A large part of the reason is that Nassau is where all RC's ships are flagged. Bringing tourists is part of what keeps registration costs down.

I think the other thing that could be vastly improved is the ship information available on the website. The main page for a ship has very sparse information. And when you follow the links you very quickly end up at generic information for the class or the even the entire fleet. Soon it becomes very difficult to determine whether what you are reading applies to the ship you are researching.

I've found that so long as you go in through the specific ship, and pick the right set of deck plans for the sailing (since there's often two different ones, for before or after refurb), then you get specific ship information for everything where it's specific to the ship, and the only time you get generic class info is where it's actually common to all the ships in the class.

Very true, but that doesn't mean it couldn't, or shouldn't be done, lol :)! Sets are paid for - at that point it would just be labor. I'm sure they couldn't do this with the shows on the Oasis class ships, but I still think it's a viable suggestion, especially with ships such as Freedom that dock in the same port all year and frequent many repeat cruisers.

Unfortunately theatre sets don't work like that.

I run 2 theatres in Sydney, one currently playing 'Grease' and the other 5 WEEKS into the build of The Lion King.

It isn't just set flats that need to change. It is automation, sound, lights, costumes, wigs.

This is not something that can happen in a day. It takes weeks to stage a new show on the scale you enjoy on board, and the crew in the theatre work tirelessly, and thanklessly to give 110% every time.

1) Change pool towel policy. Who would want to steal one of those towels anyway???

2) Bring back Vidalia Onion Tart and Scallop Risotto.

3) Skip Nassau.

4) Stay longer in San Juan or skip that port also. The short stops are ridiculous!

you might be able to get the vidalia onion tart if you ask the head waiter. We have had on our last 2 cruises, both times with the new menu

For me, something I think RCI needs badly is the option of fresh cooked pizza, burgers & hot dogs on the pool deck like Princess. There just isn't time to go the the Windjammer to get a take away and come back to the pool area, even if the food in the Windjammer was worthy of doing that, which it sadly isn't.

Would love to see this. And make the burgers fresh off the grill with a toppings bar.

Allow more combining of benefits/discounts on bookings.

Revive the vitality/shipshape programs, earning coupons for valuable swag by participating in active programs onboard.

Better trivia/bingo/meet & mingle prizes.

Provide wider range of free exercise class to serve cruisers young and old.

Free popcorn at the movies.

More non-alcoholic drink offerings.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

* I would like to see Royal change the production shows on a regular basis - like maybe 3 years on each ship. If it is a monetary issue for Royal, they could just swap shows amongst ships.

* Go back to the original way of getting a pool towel - have the cabin steward leave 2 in the room for you.

* Keep the Windjammer open 24 hours.

* On ships with a Royal Promenade, have a drink station set up with iced tea and lemonade 24 hours.

* Get rid of those expensive hand-held Bingo machines. Bingo used to be more fun when everyone had the same chance to win with just the paper cards. Most of the winners are playing on the machines, and at $50+ for each Bingo session, it is ridiculous.

* Give us some more varied Caribbean itineraries to choose from - maybe 10 & 12 days to the Southern Caribbean or Panama Canal partial and full transits. I'm tired of the same old 7 day eastern and western itineraries.

Totally agree with all of these !!:p

I totally agree with enforce the rules that you have. Once on the Voyager we sat next to a guy who was wearing sweat pants and a ball cap EVERY evening! And of course they need to enforce the chair hogs rule.

I love RCCL, however NCL has the best disembarkation. NCL says that you paid for the last day and you might as well enjoy it. You can swim, stay in you stateroom, use the gym and other facilities until your number is called to leave the ship. Sure beats rushing out of your stateroom to sit in a crowded public area for a few hours! I understand that they need to get ready for new passengers, but can't they clean rooms as people depart them?? Just saying...

While I recognize that itineraries between 8 and 13 days can create havoc on the schedule I would like to see more 10-12 night cruises with RCI. Coming from middle America it would be nice to get more bang for our airfare buck with some longer cruises (in other places than Cape Liberty...airfare costs there are really silly).

I know we all like what we like but I agree with enforcing rules. Problem seems to be many are not rules but rather "suggestions". There will always be those to whom suggestions don't matter.

All in all I guess its ok or we would stop coming back.

Edited by rharvey999

Allow more combining of benefits/discounts on bookings.

Revive the vitality/shipshape programs, earning coupons for valuable swag by participating in active programs onboard.

Better trivia/bingo/meet & mingle prizes.

Provide wider range of free exercise class to serve cruisers young and old.

Free popcorn at the movies.

More non-alcoholic drink offerings.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

All excellent ideas. And give us back our pen in the rooms. :)

Gina

I've never had any real complaints about RC. Leaving the ship is probably the worst thing, but if you're patient you'll get through it.

I would like for them to add a Phillips Seafood Restaurant on board. I love seafood and would love if this happened. Also more team games like dodgeball and maybe even flip cup for the adults over 21.