Cell . gizmo computor free zones?

Hawaiidan

If people don't agree with you....why not un load on them... that's just my point that you made so well. "How Dare you not be like me"

My objections are to the overt talking and sense of entitlement that some possess.

And my concern was from a growing number people deeply into bringing all manner of devices along as thought they could not fathom living without them. That was my worry which some you allayed and others displayed.

I can certainly live without my devices; in fact, I usually go without the internet on a cruise because of the cost. But, I do bring "all manner" of devices with me -- a lap top computer for downloading pictures and keeping a journal, and a 7" Samsung tablet that serves as a camera and also has my books, puzzles and more, as well as the internet when I find a signal. What I can't fathom is why that would concern you...

It's that gray industrial light, spilling from the screen. Ambiance killer

Ah, but my e-reader is not backlit -- there is no light spilling from the screen. But, it's still an electronic device that can connect to the internet, falling into the over-generalized discussion in this thread.

I also agree that backlit devices can be annoying in darkened venues, like the theater during a performance. But, that includes digital cameras. In a well lit location, like Martinis or a ship-board restaurant, my tablet would not be annoying -- again, as I said, if I was by myself at table or the bar. Does the gray, industrial light from the bar's computer screen kill the ambiance?

Keep this discussion focused on yackety-yack devices, and I'm 100% in agreement. But, whether one likes electronic devices should not matter to anyone else. The claim that they cannot "fathom living without them" is not justification for restricting them.

Here there are a lot of places that forbid cell phones like my doctors office Movie theater, some restaurants and then there is driving.

Please lets focus on my original question are there areas where people can get away from them or the potential of running into them. like theaters', library bars and dining .

This is not akin to demanding a ban or the like just plain and simple "does Oceana have such places and requests/rules".:rolleyes:

Do not confuse my personal taste to the salent question I asked " are there such places" PERIOD.

It has been interesting to see peoples response , and in some cases telling.

I have been reading this most interesting thread and now wonder who would take an electronic device into the theater??? I am admittedly addicted to the computer (CruiseCritic) but there is a time and a place for it. It doesn't follow me everywhere I go. When onboard I am much more interested in what is going on around me on the ship than looking at a computer screen. There are times when I may sit and read my Kindle somewhere but am usually people watching at the same time.

In terms of cell phones....... IMO, there should be special places to use them -- a place where you will not be disturbing others. We do take our cell phone with us....... it remains in the off position throughout the cruise. It is only there for emergency purposes. I understand that some people have to be in contact with work but most of us are on vacation. As long as I can email my pet sitter to be sure every thing at home is okay, I'm happy.

I believe this subject will be showing up more and more. Cell phones in particular are becoming a nuisance because some people, with no concept of disturbing others, continue to blab on and on. JMHO:)

Edited by Travelcat2

In terms of cell phones....... IMO, there should be special places to use them -- a place where you will not be disturbing others. We do take our cell phone with us....... it remains in the off position throughout the cruise. It is only there for emergency purposes. I understand that some people have to be in contact with work but most of us are on vacation. As long as I can email my pet sitter to be sure every thing at home is okay, I'm happy.

I believe this subject will be showing up more and more. Cell phones in particular are becoming a nuisance because some people, with no concept of disturbing others, continue to blab on and on. JMHO:)

That the reason for my question as you noted its a problem that is emerging...

I have no problem telling someone who is shouting into their cell phone in an inappropriate place to lower their voice -- restaurants, air line lounges and the like.

Once I was in the Delta Lounge pre flight and a woman was talking loudly on her cell phone. She was oblivious to the rest of us,trying to read, chat or who just did not want to hear her conversation. A woman got up and shouted at her -- would you just lower your voice or hang up, we are tired of listening to your conversation. The place broke out in applause. The woman on the cell phone was mortified but she probably learned a good lesson. She hung up the phone.

I generally start repeating what the person is saying like "Honey did hear about ....."

However sometimes I am the offender. If you are like me -- you still work and have to be in touch with customers and the office. Remember we are all not 70+ and retired...

I just try to move away from people (first it is offensive and second none of their business)

I was once in a restaurant and someone who was a distributor of electronic components was on the phone talking loudly about companies and their manufacturing operations.. "XXXX is a cheap company and we can never do any business them with them." XXXX was my company -- you think he ever did business with us???

Here there are a lot of places that forbid cell phones like my doctors office Movie theater, some restaurants and then there is driving.

Please lets focus on my original question are there areas where people can get away from them or the potential of running into them. like theaters', library bars and dining .

This is not akin to demanding a ban or the like just plain and simple "does Oceana have such places and requests/rules".:rolleyes:

Do not confuse my personal taste to the salent question I asked " are there such places" PERIOD.

It has been interesting to see peoples response , and in some cases telling.

Good news Dan, I'm currently on Riviera and they just announced today that the new "Gizmo Free zone" is located at the bottom of the pool. ;)