JUST FYI Price Comparison

TEXASMUNK

June 4, 1981 Pricing on the SS NORWAY.

Inside: $810 per person

outside $970 per person

(There were no balconies back then)

plus port taxes. And for the guy who posts that I am making up these prices, I am copying them directly from the NCL Brochure from 1981.

So, 32 years ago, the cost of a 7 day cruise was approx. $310 per person lower than many Carnival cruises today. Just keep that in mind the next time you read a thread about how high prices have gone.

June 4, 1981 Pricing on the SS NORWAY.

Inside: $810 per person

outside $970 per person

(There were no balconies back then)

plus port taxes. And for the guy who posts that I am making up these prices, I am copying them directly from the NCL Brochure from 1981.

So, 32 years ago, the cost of a 7 day cruise was approx. $310 per person lower than many Carnival cruises today. Just keep that in mind the next time you read a thread about how high prices have gone.

A quick check shows that, with inflation, an item that cost $1 USD in 1984 would cost $1.98 in 2006. The dates you are bringing up are even further apart than that.

Basically, Inside on Norway would have been around $2,000 USD today.

My rough numbers were bothering me.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Here is some firm numbers:

$810 in 1980 is the same as $2,301.71 today. (SS Norway Inside)

$970 in 1980 is the same as $2,756.37 today. (SS Norway Outside)

/case solved

/continue complaints about Carnival 'nickle and diming'

/end thread

Edited by arush5268d

My rough numbers were bothering me.

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

Here is some firm numbers:

/case solved

/end thread

still a great type of vacation :)

cruises are much cheaper today then 30 years ago, however, there are tradeoffs with the difference in price. Dining use to be sensational kind of like the steakhouses now that you have to pay for. Instead dining now is more like applebees. Drinks were around a 1.00 each and you had different parties during the week where they were free and there use to be happy hours with munchies... The entertainment was top notch name entertainers back then also.. I am not saying there is anything wrong with these tradeoffs, as more people can afford to cruise today then 30 years ago, but there are differences in the experience

I sailed the Norway in 1983 and 1985 out of Miami. Don't remember the ports, but we sure had fun.

Sailed on her twice in 83 and twice in 84..

Ports of Call: Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas; Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas; Philipsburg, St Maarten;

The Norway is one of my all time favorite ships. We sailed her twice out of Miami.

My favorite ship of all time, sailed on her 13 times.....:D. Price difference if you figure in inflation, a little cheaper today. Depends on the line also.

Edited by miataman19

A quick check shows that, with inflation, an item that cost $1 USD in 1984 would cost $1.98 in 2006. The dates you are bringing up are even further apart than that.

Basically, Inside on Norway would have been around $2,000 USD today.

Dollar today worth a lot less than the number you put out there.

Interesting topic though.

Back than cruise was extreme luxury wit hvery fancy dining and would think entertainers would be much more well known than what we get today.

Bottom line though is we can afford to cruise 3x per year now and would barely be able to do it once per year back than.

Here are some firm numbers:

/case solved

/end thread

You gotta love the economic reality! ;)

Was very simple since the ship was the actual destination..

Depart Miami... Sunday

Mon/Tues at Sea

Wed ST Thomas

Thurs/Fri At sea

Sat Bahamas Out Island

Another small note, SS Norway used two "revived" WWII landing Craft as their own tenders that they carried up at the bow of the ship.

Interesting how NCL created the ship as the destination concept back then and every main stream cruise line is doing the same thing today!!!!

Was very simple since the ship was the actual destination..

Depart Miami... Sunday

Mon/Tues at Sea

Wed ST Thomas

Thurs/Fri At sea

Sat Bahamas Out Island

Another small note, SS Norway used two "revived" WWII landing Craft as their own tenders that they carried up at the bow of the ship.

Interesting how NCL created the ship as the destination concept back then and every main stream cruise line is doing the same thing today!!!!

After seeing the same ports over and over the cruise is about the ship.

Also consider the cost of fuel and emissions control today! Fuel is more than 5X what it was 30 years ago, and the ships are larger and larger and have to burn fuel more cleanly than ever, a major challenge and very, very expensive.

I recall reading an article when the Carnival Holiday was put into service and they were very proud that with the onboard refining system they could buy cheap fuel in South America and basically run it off of industrial tar. What are "emissions?" :D

It's incredible you can take these kind of trips for the cost; but the race to zero has its costs; Carnival is now the low cost carrier; there are no longer smaller lines; they've all be bought up or can't operate successfully at the lower end of the market, they are now luxury niche lines because that's all that can sustain the costs without mass bookings like CCL, RCI, NCL, and some other big guys (mostly under the CCL parent umbrella anyway).

Also consider the cost of fuel and emissions control today! Fuel is more than 5X what it was 30 years ago, and the ships are larger and larger and have to burn fuel more cleanly than ever, a major challenge and very, very expensive.

I recall reading an article when the Carnival Holiday was put into service and they were very proud that with the onboard refining system they could buy cheap fuel in South America and basically run it off of industrial tar. What are "emissions?" :D

It's incredible you can take these kind of trips for the cost; but the race to zero has its costs; Carnival is now the low cost carrier; there are no longer smaller lines; they've all be bought up or can't operate successfully at the lower end of the market, they are now luxury niche lines because that's all that can sustain the costs without mass bookings like CCL, RCI, NCL, and some other big guys (mostly under the CCL parent umbrella anyway).

The economics of cruising have drastically changed over the past 50 years. They have made the running of the cruise and controlling costs into a science.

The economics of cruising have drastically changed over the past 50 years. They have made the running of the cruise and controlling costs into a science.

The purpose of a cruise has changed as well. I'm not sure if the chicken or the egg came first in this case. 50 years ago cruising was a form of transportation and served a utilitarian purpose. Today a cruise ship, in most cases, is a destination of a vacation that just happens to make a few stops so people can go ashore for a few hours.

In June 1979 my then husband and I cruised on the Norway for $1,500 each ($3, 000) which allegedly included air fare from Albany, NY to FLA. We were upgraded from standard oceanview to a mini suite at no additional cost.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

In June 1979 my then husband and I cruised on the Norway for $1,500 each ($3, 000) which allegedly included air fare from Albany, NY to FLA. We were upgraded from standard oceanview to a mini suite at no additional cost.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I was cruising back then too.

At that time cruising was for "the affluent". Think in terms of if everyone sailed on Cunard today.

Thanks to the mass market lines, cruises are available to just about everyone.

I have to laugh when people have "the expectations of elegance" and complain about cut backs and going downhill. These people couldn't have afforded a cruise "in the old days".

Personally, although I can afford a lot more than I could 25 years ago....I prefer the "come as you are" and "eat what you want when you want" atmosphere. (I was looking for Mr Right back then....had to look "hot" 24/7. :))