Crown, Ultimate Balcony Dining

Twinsfan5

Hi all, a couple of questions about UBD...there are 4 of us sailing the Crown in two mini-suites. Can we do UBD for the 4 of us on one balcony? Is there enough room on a Dolphin mini-suite balcony for 4 people around a table? Do you get to choose your courses? None of us are seafood eaters, but love a nice steak dinner. How do you book the UBD?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Hi!

We did this on the Crown about a year and half ago and it was excellent. The menu is set but you get to choose between a filet, a filet and lobster tail or just lobster. When we called to schedule we asked if we could get red wine instead of Champaign and they were happy to accommodate. I also mentioned that my husband did not like the appetizer so they brought several from the main dining room.

I called and purchased this before sailing to assure we would get it. When we got to our cabin there was a card with instructions on how to schedule it. We simply called and told them the day and time we wanted it.

We had an amazing and very memorable evening. I highly recommend UBD! I can't comment on whether or not 4 people will fit around the table as we were on a Caribe balcony and only had two people.

Brooke

I've enjoyed a couple of UBDs on the larger Caribe deck balconies & standard balconies. Looking at the mini-suites below us I'm not sure if you could get 4 at a table which didn't appear possible to me.

We've also exchanged the half bottle of champagne for wine also priced at $32. Ask about any changes you'd like to do including items from the evening's MDR menu. They'll do anything possible to make it an exceptional experience.

We do it whenever we have a balcony & even the time inclement weather moved us into our non-minisuite cabin it was still a great experience. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Can we do UBD for the 4 of us on one balcony? Is there enough room on a Dolphin mini-suite balcony for 4 people around a table?

If they removed the two footstools, and borrowed two more chairs, you could probably fit 4 people, although it would be tight. The problem is the table. The one that comes with the balcony is what I would call "pub size", something that would accommodate a couple of beverages and a small plate or two. From the pictures I've seen of the lovely UBD, there is no way they could get all that food and tableware on the small table. Even if they could provide a larger table for the experience, I can't imagine how they could seat 4 around it, AND provide tableside service, all in that small of a space. Then again, we didn't try it.... so I could be wrong ;)

Thanks all, for the input. Maybe we'll wait until we get on board and decide at that point if it looks like there will be room.

If you decide to do the UBD, I'd recommend calling room service to reserve upon boarding for the date & time you desire. As I recall from our recent experience the DINE line had us call room service to reserve because they do it. We prefer to have it in port or during sailaway to minimize any affects of adverse weather.

Edited by Astro Flyer

That is what they did for our dinner too. Not sure if you could do 4 but you could call the DINE line and inquire.

Room Service handles the UBD so call them directly. Tell them you want to book an Ultimate Balcony Dinner and the team leader (if not there) will get back to you to arrange a time to meet with you and go over the menu with you.

Your balcony table will be moved into the room and a bigger folding table brought to your balcony by R.S

Enjoy!!

Norris

We had the UBD on our Ruby Princess cruise. We had 4 people on our Caribe balcony and were fine. They brought a rectangular folding table and set it beautifully. Thanks for the heads-up on changing the champagne for wine. We will do that on our Crown cruise.

When we did the UBD on the Crown, we customized the menu by requesting creme brulee for dessert. We ended up getting three of them--two that were special for us and a third one that was being served that night in the dining room. I wish I had bothered to ask about changing the vegetable that came with our lobster tail and steak from asparagus to something that we eat. Neither one of us eats asparagus. When we met with the server who consulted on the menu, I did not think to ask about the vegetable.

We were in a mini suite on the Crown in February.We had 2 couples for the UBD and had plenty of room.You can schedule the time that works for you.It is a wonderful experience.the servers were awesome and the dining room manager met with us before hand to go over the menu.He also came by to see how we were enjoying the dinner. Everything was top notch.

Vino100 ... any connection to Vino100 wine shops? Just curious. We had one here in Omaha.

To all, thanks for the info about Ultimate Balcony Dining. I'll see if DW thinks it's a good idea, and I too became extra curious due to Norris' posting on Crown thread. Thanks.

Norris, it was the video you posted of your UBD experience (on another thread) that made me want to try it. Thank you for that!

And thanks to all for your comments.

Twinsfan- so glad it whetted your appetite! It was a great meal. There was a sense of occasion with the photographer, candles, flowers and champagne.

Good value for 100 memorable dollars.

I am thinking about it again for my Jan cruise on the CB. You only live once and it really hightens the cruise experience of stepping way outside the normal everyday life.

The video is on my youtube channel for anyone who is interested.

Norris Adair