Excursions Port Canaveral turnaround day

newparents

Hi, we are doing a back to back on Freedom and I just wondered if anyone knows what some of the excursions are on turnaround day, was mostly thinking of Kennedy Space Centre.

Thanks in advance :)

The Kennedy Space Center is WONDERFUL and not to be missed. Disney excursions, forget it. Not enough time.

I urge you to go on the KSC excursion if you can. :)

Agree with Kennedy Space Center. Rent a car go to Kennedy, then go beach shopping at Ron Jon. You could, also, do an airboat ride. We did one just west of Vero Beach last year when we were in Florida, and that was a lot of fun. You don't just have to be in the Everglades to do those.

jc

Hi, we are doing a back to back on Freedom and I just wondered if anyone knows what some of the excursions are on turnaround day, was mostly thinking of Kennedy Space Centre.

Thanks in advance :)

It's very easy to rent a car in Port Canaveral. The rental car agencies have free shuttles that will pick you up at the port and return you later. We've used Avis many times, and I've also seen Hertz and Budget there too.

Regarding ship excursions, I'm not sure that you can find an appropriate ship excursion to KSC. Maybe things have changed since we were on Freedom, but I remember most of the ship excursions involved a pick up at the ship and a drop off at the Orlando airport.

It's very easy to rent a car in Port Canaveral. The rental car agencies have free shuttles that will pick you up at the port and return you later. We've used Avis many times, and I've also seen Hertz and Budget there too.

Regarding ship excursions, I'm not sure that you can find an appropriate ship excursion to KSC. Maybe things have changed since we were on Freedom, but I remember most of the ship excursions involved a pick up at the ship and a drop off at the Orlando airport.

That was my memory too, but I would imagine Cape Kennedy is a possibility. I am with you. Rent a car go spend the day in the area. Lots to see and do.

jc

Does someone doing a B2B have to be onboard by 3pm for the 4:30pm departure or do they get a later time? There might not be enough time for a day at KSC by the time they get off, rent a car, drive to KSC and then reverse the process for a 3 pm deadline.

Does someone doing a B2B have to be onboard by 3pm for the 4:30pm departure or do they get a later time? There might not be enough time for a day at KSC by the time they get off, rent a car, drive to KSC and then reverse the process for a 3 pm deadline.

Someone doing a B2B would normally need to be on board 30 minutes before departure time.

Hi don’t know if anyone else has interests in deep sea fishing but I’ll give everyone the info: Cape Canaveral fishing trip on the Orlando Princess at same pier we pull into.

Half Day for $60 per person 10:30-4:30 there is a 5 dollar off coupon on web site.

Included is: lunch unlimited beer and Soda and everything you need for fishing.

The lady I talked to said you have to take a taxi up and back (5 miles back up the pier) the boat holds 80. Weather permitting

You do have to book 1 day in advance.

Agree with Kennedy Space Center. Rent a car go to Kennedy, then go beach shopping at Ron Jon. You could, also, do an airboat ride. We did one just west of Vero Beach last year when we were in Florida, and that was a lot of fun. You don't just have to be in the Everglades to do those.

jc

Where do you rent a car near the cruise terminal? I'm thinking way ahead here as I plan on booking Freedom for late April 2015. I have never cruised out of PC before and of course have no idea what my flights will be, but I grew up during the space race, and was last at Port Canaveral, or was it still Cape Kennedy back then, when the last Saturn V was launched in the mid 70s. I would love to go back. If I get a late flight out of Orlando I would love to do this. I occasionally to Royal post cruise excursions. Any take you to MCO after a Canaveral visit?

The OP, newparents, is from Scotland. My advice to them is: Take the RC excursion to KSC and leave all your worries behind about departing and arriving on time.

:)

I agree, that is a good choice if the excursion returning to the ship is offered instead of the excursion that ends at the airport.

Where do you rent a car near the cruise terminal? I'm thinking way ahead here as I plan on booking Freedom for late April 2015. I have never cruised out of PC before and of course have no idea what my flights will be, but I grew up during the space race, and was last at Port Canaveral, or was it still Cape Kennedy back then, when the last Saturn V was launched in the mid 70s. I would love to go back. If I get a late flight out of Orlando I would love to do this. I occasionally to Royal post cruise excursions. Any take you to MCO after a Canaveral visit?

There are a number of car rental agencies in the Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area. The ones I know of (Avis, Budget, Hertz) have free shuttles at the cruise terminal, waiting for you to get off the ship. The shuttles will also return you to the ship when you turn in the rental car. All you need to do is make an advance reservation on their website, and then jump in the shuttle when you get off the ship.

We've also probably done a dozen one-way rentals from MCO to Cocoa Beach and find the cost reasonable and like the convenience of being able to drive to dinner the night before the cruise, and also drive to stores before the cruise.

Edited by clarea

Bill, there is nothing at the pier. The car rental companies have shuttles that run continuously, and they are probably a 10 minute drive from the port. You should be able to find them on a google or Apple map. Cape Kennedy is about a 30 minute drive. You can see the assembly building clearly from the cruise ship. There are a ton of excursions that will take you back to MCO. We flew Allegiant because they fly direct to Sanford airport, rented a car and had a drop charge on either the drive to the port or the return to the port. Can't remember which.

Merion Mom, good catch on the Scotland thing. An excursion might be the best bet for them. That said, I bet some of the local tour companies would take them to and from KSC, too.

jc

We have 3 kids, ages 3, 9, 10. Is the KSC appropriate for a 3 year old, or should the older 2 go with their dad?

I would think the 9 and 10 year olds would be a perfect fit. 3 seems young to me. There is a simulated space shuttle launch (remember I haven't gone to KSC for about 3 years) and lots of Imax movies, and exhibits. IE, it is a lot like a typical science center in any big city.

jc

We did the airboat ride through the ship when we did the b2b on the freedom. They ordered us a taxi for afterwards to take us back to the ship. We had to pay (split between us and tge other family) but the driver knew to give us a receipt and it was refunded once back on board as they said they would

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Thankyou all for replying, its much appreciated.

Kennedy wins but want to do ut with RCI, def wouldnt hire a car, I would be scared to death, driving on big roads and on the opposite side, too much of a nervous Nellie I'm afraid :)

Happy holidays and thanks again.

Thankyou all for replying, its much appreciated.

Kennedy wins but want to do ut with RCI, def wouldnt hire a car, I would be scared to death, driving on big roads and on the opposite side, too much of a nervous Nellie I'm afraid :)

Happy holidays and thanks again.

I drove your roads this summer visiting Edinburg and St. Andrews, and Ireland. Driving on the wrong side in Coco Beach is not nearly as difficult, trust me. That said, a tour to KSC is good. Airboat tours are fun looking at alligators in the swamp and birds of prey doesn't suck.

jc