Will the Ship Cash Travelers Checks in Australian Dollars??

MsDolly

Hoping not to have to bring too much cash with us for our 2 month adventure in your end of the woods, just wondered if the Cruiselines would cash a Travelers Check for us if the denomination was in Aussie Dollars.

I know that I've done this before on cruises out of the US but not sure they want to be a bank in other currencies.

I'm hoping one of you might know the answer.

Thanks either way.

Belinda

I'd expect they would, since you can for example change currency in Australian dollars without issue.

I assumed that this would be the case but Travellers Checks can be a bit of a pain to cash other then in a bank these days. thanks!

Belinda

used Travellers cheques for the 1st and last time in 1977. Had issues then with which business would cash them, and also needed to have them in small denominations as people didn't want to cash large ones. I actually thought they had gone the way of the dodo.

Not sure how they would be better than a card, either a pre-loaded debit card or a credit card (pre-loaded or not)? For actual cash, where you need to use it instead of a card, obtain from ATM using a transaction card. For Australian cards, if they have Cirrus link, you can use OS and obtain local currency. I have done this in a number of countries. Other countries would have the same or a similar system.

Happy cruising

[Q I actually thought they had gone the way of the dodo.

Not sure how they would be better than a card, either a pre-loaded debit card or a credit card (pre-loaded or not)? For actual cash, where you need to use it instead of a card, obtain from ATM using a transaction card. For Australian cards, if they have Cirrus link, you can use OS and obtain local currency. I have done this in a number of countries. Other countries would have the same or a similar system.

Agree - pre loaded Travel card or your own card with the Cirrus link - I think you would be very restricted in where you could cash a travelers cheque - banks being the main places.

I reckon Travellers cheques will be ready for the Antique Road Show pretty soon ;)

I assumed that this would be the case but Travellers Checks can be a bit of a pain to cash other then in a bank these days. thanks!

Belinda

I know what you mean, and agree. However, Celebrity have accepted travellers cheques up to last year, and I doubt that would have changed. (But of course things do change, which is where the uncertainty comes in.)