changes to the Regal Princess

senior lady

Yes and I tweeted Princess two days ago and they confirmed yesterday. Cruise Critic really should NAME their source spokeperson rather than quoting and unnamed person' date=' for credibility's sake. I still find it somewhat odd that they're confirming that they're making these rather unprecedented changes [b']without an official announcement[/b] or more substantial detail. Considering the fairly recent shipyard photos of Regal and the addition of two cruises in May because she's being delivered EARLY makes me scratch my head a little. I haven't consulted the cruise atlas to see when the Royal's first dry dock is scheduled (I never received the cruise atlas), so not sure when that's happening.

What I think this boils down to is the fact that if they make an official announcement they are admitting to the public that the Royal was a mistake and stand a chance of even more cancellations on a ship that isn't selling to begin with. Since they still have to book the Royal they need to down play the updates on the Regal. With this said I'm not booking the Regal anytime soon. I will watch as things develop.

What I think this boils down to is the fact that if they make an official announcement they are admitting to the public that the Royal was a mistake and stand a chance of even more cancellations on a ship that isn't selling to begin with. Since they still have to book the Royal they need to down play the updates on the Regal.

More fair to say that there were mistakes made with Royal than to say that Royal was a mistake. But your point about booking is a good one, though it only goes so far. There is no question that on an even-up analysis, I would choose Regal over Royal 100 times out of 100 due to the "fixes" done to Regal. But since the sister ships are not sailing side-by-side with identical itineraries, it becomes a much more complex anaylsis. As much as one might prefer the new-and-improved Regal, if it isn't sailing where you want to go, then you aren't going to pick it. I'm not sure how much Royal's bookings will suffer once Regal comes on line with its tweaks. Time will tell.

Just posted in a blog by someone currently on the Emerald, Capt Nash made an announcement that there would be a central staircase on the new Regal.

"Captain Nick Nash.... made a stunning announcement (and gave a shout out to Cruise Critic at the same time) when he said that, in response to all the chatter on Cruise Critic, the new Regal Princess, that is launching next year, will have a central staircase for passengers".

On the Royal's Med/TA this was rumored to be happening on the Regal & also that the Royal would finish the existing stairways for passenger use during a future drydock. Based on the CCL exec's talk it appears that some of the things not on the Royal were missing to keep within budget. Apparently they now realize it was an error & are now spending the money to address these issues. It goes to show that sometimes it is possible to 'fight city hall & to win'. ;)

From the photo, it looks like they have installed a red and white striped observation tower on the open area of the Sun Deck. Maybe for rock climbing or bungee jumping out over the water?? :D

Yes they did, to compete with the new Quantum of the Seas observation pod. ;)

From the photo, it looks like they have installed a red and white striped observation tower on the open area of the Sun Deck. Maybe for rock climbing or bungee jumping out over the water?? :D

Yes they did, to compete with the new Quantum of the Seas observation pod. ;)

It looks like the ship has it's own lighthouse :) Pretty cool!

Are you sure that's on the ship? It looks so out of character if this ship is just like the Royal. The Royal is so sophisticated looking, all the decor very calm and elegant. The back of the ship with the deck off the Horizon Court is beautiful, and this doesn't look like it fits with the look of the Royal to me. Is it possible this is something on the port behind the ship?

Are you sure that's on the ship? It looks so out of character if this ship is just like the Royal. The Royal is so sophisticated looking' date=' all the decor very calm and elegant. The back of the ship with the deck off the Horizon Court is beautiful, and this doesn't look like it fits with the look of the Royal to me. Is it possible this is something on the port behind the ship?[/quote']

I believe Coral was being facetious. That is most definitely something in the port area behind the ship, and not a part of the ship itself. ;)

Can you imagine that ship Ina storm with that tower on it? Holy flailing in the wind Batman!

Benny - are you living part-time in FL now (your profile)? You are going to make me very jealous if you are partially retired at your age!

Benny - are you living part-time in FL now (your profile)? You are going to make me very jealous if you are partially retired at your age!

I wish Theresa, however, we did buy a condo in Fort Lauderdale last winter! We no longer have to book a hotel pre and post cruise. I look forward to using it more in the future when we do finally retire though. :)

I wish Theresa, however, we did buy a condo in Fort Lauderdale last winter! We no longer have to book a hotel pre and post cruise. I look forward to using it more in the future when we do finally retire though. :)

Cool! Congrats!

• 1 month later...
That is good news but we all need to SCREAM at them WE NEED CENTRAL STAIRS Even on the Grand Princess with a lot less people waiting for the lifts in the centre when people only wanted to go down one floor was soooooo stupid.

Seems that the lack of mid ship stairs is a safety issue. If the lifts went down in an emergency, wouldn't an extra set of stair make sense?

Seems that the lack of mid ship stairs is a safety issue. If the lifts went down in an emergency, wouldn't an extra set of stair make sense?

there are stairs in the middle of the Royal for crew use only, I imagine these would be used in the case of an emergency.

there are stairs in the middle of the Royal for crew use only, I imagine these would be used in the case of an emergency.

That is correct: we were told by passengers with midship cabins that these stairs were used by passengers for the Muster Drill. And, as noted before, we were told by personnel on the Royal that Princess was assessing the cost/viability of enhancing this staircase to become a public stairwell, first on the Regal and then to be retrofit on the Royal. I don't know if that will happen, but they are apparently considering it seriously.

As a side note, we just disembarked the Caribbean Princess yesterday and used the midships staircase many times. It seems quite apparent that the midships staircases on the Grand Class ships are more than likely this kind of a retrofit, using what was likely intended (in the original design) to be a crew staircase.

Will be interesting to see what they do in this regard.

That is correct: we were told by passengers with midship cabins that these stairs were used by passengers for the Muster Drill. And, as noted before, we were told by personnel on the Royal that Princess was assessing the cost/viability of enhancing this staircase to become a public stairwell, first on the Regal and then to be retrofit on the Royal. I don't know if that will happen, but they are apparently considering it seriously.

As a side note, we just disembarked the Caribbean Princess yesterday and used the midships staircase many times. It seems quite apparent that the midships staircases on the Grand Class ships are more than likely this kind of a retrofit, using what was likely intended (in the original design) to be a crew staircase.

Will be interesting to see what they do in this regard.

You are right about the stairs used at muster drills. No safety issue there. My room was right by the "stairs". I checked the doors leading to them and they were never locked..another good safety feature..easy access in emergency.

All that is needed would be carpet, wall paneling and fancy handrails..it is the same size staircase as other grand ships.