NCL back to South America

Rob1eddy

I'm wondering if I missed something somewhere...

The press release from NCL announcing the Sun's re-deployment to South America didn't say how it's getting there. I think the Sun is in Alaska in the summer of 2015. Where is her repositioning cruise down the Mexican Riviera past Peru to Chile? I don't see the itinerary anywhere. :confused:

I don't know where the Sun is in the summer but she's doing three 11-day Mexican Rivera sailings in Oct 2015 from San Diego, CA.

The Sun is doing some 7 & 10-11 day cruises to Alaska all summer. I think her last Alaskan cruise might be around the end September which would make sense b/c then she'd just head further south to do the Riviera.

The dates & prices should be available around mid April, I hope.

Happy cruising

Went and looked yesterday for the SA itinerary. Not there yet :( So happy that it will be the Sun! Wonder when they will release the dates?

NCL said these would be available around April 19th so they're not loaded in the website yet. There's a pre-sale for Latitudes members of one day if I recall correctly.

I don't know where the Sun is in the summer but she's doing three 11-day Mexican Rivera sailings in Oct 2015 from San Diego, CA.

Ah ha! Thank you for this bit of information. That explains a gap in her schedule so now we just need the repo cruise details. I was wondering if she was dry docking but now that explains it. A 14 day repo cruise down the Mexican coast to South America sounds about right given the dates. Thanks for that added information! :D

• 2 weeks later...
NCL said these would be available around April 19th so they're not loaded in the website yet. There's a pre-sale for Latitudes members of one day if I recall correctly.

Any chance NCL will have info ready and released for review before they release the pre-sale? If I call NCL would they have anything they could offer as far as info goes? Celebrity has already released their 2015 and 16 SA info and Princess has their 2015 info out with 2016 out next week (the 7th I believe). Hate to see NCL be the last as they will probably be the most favorably priced I would assume.

Any chance NCL will have info ready and released for review before they release the pre-sale? If I call NCL would they have anything they could offer as far as info goes? Celebrity has already released their 2015 and 16 SA info and Princess has their 2015 info out with 2016 out next week (the 7th I believe). Hate to see NCL be the last as they will probably be the most favorably priced I would assume.

I've booked one cruise through NCL (my 2013 Alaska cruise) on the day it first opened for Latitudes members. To do that I had to call my PCC and get him to give me the pricing information over the phone. Based on that one experience, I'm inclined to think that you will probably not see a whole lot of the specifics on the new itineraries ahead of time. But you never know and it might be worth a phone call to NCL to see if you could learn anything.

In the meantime the Press Release Announcing the new Itineraries said the following about the Sun's South American itineraries:

Norwegian Sun will return to South America for the first time since 2010, sailing 14-day South American voyages between Santiago (Valparaiso), Chile and Buenos Aires, Argentina from November 2015 to April 2016. Ports of call include Puerto Montt, Chile; Puerto Chacabuco, Chile; Punta Arenas, Chile; Ushuaia, Argentina; Stanley, Falkland Islands; Puerto Madryn, Argentina; and Montevideo, Uruguay. Guests on board will also enjoy a scenic cruise through the Chilean Fjords, Strait of Magellan and around Cape Horn.

Those ports of call are identical to the ones I visited aboard the Sun in 2010. My itinerary looked like this:

SUN: Depart Buenos Aires, Argentina

MON: Montevideo, Uruguay

TUE: Sea Day

WED: Puerto Madryn, Argentina

THU: Sea Day

FRI: Stanley, Falkland Islands

SAT: Sea Day (Cape Horn)

SUN: Ushuaia, Argentina

MON: Punta Arenas, Chile

WED: Sea Day

THU: Puerto Chacabuco, Chile

FRI: Puerto Montt, Chile

SAT: Sea Day

SUN Arrive Valparaiso, Chile

My (highly unofficial) theory is that the 2015-2016 itineraries would be similar to my 2010 itinerary (with the Valparaiso-Buenos Aires itineraries being the reverse).

Edited by polySeraph

Spoke to my PCC yesterday and mentioned this. He said the booking will be available in late May or early June

That's way later than I was led to believe. I called NCL yesterday and the guy I spoke to said that the "region template"was showing up on the website they use which he indicated usually means that they are getting close anyway. I have to believe the late May/early June timeframe is off by quite a bit. At least I hope it is. With Celebrity 2016 out, Princess 2016 supposedly out next week, and Holland probably sometime soon as well, NCL would REALLY be dropping the ball to release a return that long after everyone else. I know I have seen April 15 through the 19 referenced a few places as SA release dates.

***just found the press release previously in this very thread and I'm copy and pasting it here with the paragraph about "Open for sale". I belive the actual link was on page 4 or 5 of this thread.

Open for Sale

Norwegian Escape's itineraries will open for Travel Partners to book groups on March 19, for Latitudes Rewards Members on March 25 and to the general public on March 26, 2014. The remaining winter itineraries will be open for Travel Partners to book groups starting April 8, for Latitudes Rewards Members on April 15 and to the general public on April 16, 2014.

Edited by clojacks

For anyone considering a cruise around Cape Horn (one of my all-time favorite cruises on NCL's Crown back in 2000), I would strongly recommend looking into a pre- or post-cruise excursion to visit Iguazu Falls. The excursion usually involves a short flight from Buenos Aires. Breathtakingly spectacular - not to be missed!

That's way later than I was led to believe. I called NCL yesterday and the guy I spoke to said that the "region template"was showing up on the website they use which he indicated usually means that they are getting close anyway. I have to believe the late May/early June timeframe is off by quite a bit. At least I hope it is. With Celebrity 2016 out, Princess 2016 supposedly out next week, and Holland probably sometime soon as well, NCL would REALLY be dropping the ball to release a return that long after everyone else. I know I have seen April 15 through the 19 referenced a few places as SA release dates.

***just found the press release previously in this very thread and I'm copy and pasting it here with the paragraph about "Open for sale". I belive the actual link was on page 4 or 5 of this thread.

Open for Sale

Norwegian Escape's itineraries will open for Travel Partners to book groups on March 19, for Latitudes Rewards Members on March 25 and to the general public on March 26, 2014. The remaining winter itineraries will be open for Travel Partners to book groups starting April 8, for Latitudes Rewards Members on April 15 and to the general public on April 16, 2014.

That's great news! I will be looking very strongly at booking this.

Thanks for the update!

Hi, former cruisers with us. We're anxious to go to South America with NCL and wonder if you ever saw puffins during your excursions or just the penguins.

Ann, I like your photos.

paiagirl

That might have been tough, since puffins, according to this article, are "exclusively found in the Northern Hemisphere."

http://birding.about.com/od/birdingtravel/a/Where-To-See-Puffins.htm

Hi, former cruisers with us. We're anxious to go to South America with NCL and wonder if you ever saw puffins during your excursions or just the penguins.

Ann, I like your photos.

paiagirl

Hi Paiagirl! How've you been? I'm glad you liked the photos. We saw lots of birds in South America -penguins, albatrosses, woodpeckers, etc - but no puffins. Some of our roll call friends saw Andean condors on one of their shore excursions.

We've been talking over the idea of another Around-the-Horn cruise on the Sun in 2016. Currently we're booked on the Celebrity Infinity's Valparaiso-Fort Lauderdale itinerary next March and we've really enjoyed researching the ports. So we've been mulling over whether we want to go back to South America two years in a row. (And also whether we want to pay the steep airfare two years in a row.) I'm looking forward to seeing the actual itineraries (and the prices) when they are finally released.

Hi Paiagirl! How've you been? I'm glad you liked the photos. We saw lots of birds in South America -penguins, albatrosses, woodpeckers, etc - but no puffins. Some of our roll call friends saw Andean condors on one of their shore excursions.

We've been talking over the idea of another Around-the-Horn cruise on the Sun in 2016. Currently we're booked on the Celebrity Infinity's Valparaiso-Fort Lauderdale itinerary next March and we've really enjoyed researching the ports. So we've been mulling over whether we want to go back to South America two years in a row. (And also whether we want to pay the steep airfare two years in a row.) I'm looking forward to seeing the actual itineraries (and the prices) when they are finally released.

Thanks. One of these days, I will see the puffins. Maybe in Alaska in June.

paiagirl

I've booked one cruise through NCL (my 2013 Alaska cruise) on the day it first opened for Latitudes members. To do that I had to call my PCC and get him to give me the pricing information over the phone. Based on that one experience, I'm inclined to think that you will probably not see a whole lot of the specifics on the new itineraries ahead of time. But you never know and it might be worth a phone call to NCL to see if you could learn anything.

In the meantime the Press Release Announcing the new Itineraries said the following about the Sun's South American itineraries:

Norwegian Sun will return to South America for the first time since 2010, sailing 14-day South American voyages between Santiago (Valparaiso), Chile and Buenos Aires, Argentina from November 2015 to April 2016. Ports of call include Puerto Montt, Chile; Puerto Chacabuco, Chile; Punta Arenas, Chile; Ushuaia, Argentina; Stanley, Falkland Islands; Puerto Madryn, Argentina; and Montevideo, Uruguay. Guests on board will also enjoy a scenic cruise through the Chilean Fjords, Strait of Magellan and around Cape Horn.

Those ports of call are identical to the ones I visited aboard the Sun in 2010. My itinerary looked like this:

SUN: Depart Buenos Aires, Argentina

MON: Montevideo, Uruguay

WED: Puerto Madryn, Argentina

THU: Sea Day

FRI: Stanley, Falkland Islands

SAT: Sea Day (Cape Horn)

SUN: Ushuaia, Argentina

MON: Punta Arenas, Chile

WED: Sea Day

THU: Puerto Chacabuco, Chile

FRI: Puerto Montt, Chile

SAT: Sea Day

SUN Arrive Valparaiso, Chile

My (highly unofficial) theory is that the 2015-2016 itineraries would be similar to my 2010 itinerary (with the Valparaiso-Buenos Aires itineraries being the reverse).

Didn't know the calendar could move this slow. called my TA yesterday and she didn't have any info yet on thee NCL Sun for its return in 2016 to SA. Looks like I am going to have to wait until next week to actually find out any prices. I just got an email from Holland today with a $300 price drop for March 2105, which puts it at almost the same as Princess. Really anxious to see what NCL will price at.

I have heard about good deals for booking in advance but 2105 that's ridiculous. just kidding I couldn't resist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I deserved that one....where is the "edit" button when you need it....

I deserved that one....where is the "edit" button when you need it....

Thanks for not getting mad. :)

I did the Sun SA in an aft PH. CRUISE OF A LIFETIME. I even managed a day trip to Antarctica.

Hold on. It will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. One of these days, I will see the puffins. Maybe in Alaska in June.

paiagirl

there are Atlantic Puffins, with boat trips out of Maine. IF going to Alaska, either spend extra time in Seward or have Sitka on your itinerary for puffin tours.

Open for Sale

Can't wait for tomorrow to come. Just hope they don't change their minds on the release dates. Have found out in the past couple of days that Royal is returning to do 14 day ATH sailings in South America also, so that means 5 lines for me to pick from. Hope that means that the itinerary is profitable to all the lines and that they may get competitive on pricing.