Changes to Celebrity Captain's Club

cruisegirl1

The two systems are different now - Celebrity still goes by the old point system, with an extra point for CC and up and an extra point for 12 nights or longer and RCI is nights sailed. So it really won't matter how Celebrity calculates each tier, just whether their five tiers will have reciprocity with RCI's five tiers.

Unless I'm missing something, which has been known to happen.;)

HAL gives you credit for nights sailed plus an extra credit for every $xxx (can't recall the number) that you spend onboard.

The two systems are different now - Celebrity still goes by the old point system, with an extra point for CC and up and an extra point for 12 nights or longer and RCI is nights sailed. So it really won't matter how Celebrity calculates each tier, just whether their five tiers will have reciprocity with RCI's five tiers.

They're going to change that 'old point system' as well.

Sure would be nice if D+ reciprocated to E+ but I doubt that will happen. I just made Elite on Celebrity and it is a long way to E+. Almost as bad as getting to Pinnacle from D+. Won't live long enough to do it (lol).

Tucker in texas

I agree. My guess is they'll make Diamond and up reciprocal to Elite, and Elite and up reciprocal to Diamond (i.e., Diamond plus would not result in reciprocal Elite + benefits). That way, there's still a nice reciprocal benefit but the tippy top levels of the program are reserved for the specific brand's top customers. I'm not a cruise line executive but that's probably how I'd do it and I think it's perfectly fair.

:confused:I don't understand where everyone is seeing and reading all this info on the new levels for the Captain's Club. I saw a post yesterday on FB from Celebrity implying changes were coming soon. I have logged into 'my celebrity' several times yesterday and today, yet to find anything on their website. How and where did y'all find the new levels and info?

:confused:I don't understand where everyone is seeing and reading all this info on the new levels for the Captain's Club. I saw a post yesterday on FB from Celebrity implying changes were coming soon. I have logged into 'my celebrity' several times yesterday and today, yet to find anything on their website. How and where did y'all find the new levels and info?

The new levels were on Celebrity's website earlier today, but are gone now.

I can give a little clarification or perspective on one of the points raised and can speculate on others.

On a few cruises this year, Celebrity was testing something they called VIP. They were taking guests in the upper suites (think GS and above) and giving them access to Michael's Club and having a Concierge in there. The hours and benefits were similar to the CL on Royal. They also included some of the high-point Captain's Club members (that seemed to vary cruise-by-cruise). An additional benefit (not sure I would consider it much of one and never saw it used by a single person on our Infinity cruise in August) was a separate line to re-board the ship in ports, complete with a small red carpet. This may be what has been mentioned as the Michael's Club Concierge Lounge for Zenith (and suite guests).

Now to the speculation.

The comment about Elite + being so far away from Elite is not true. Assuming the multiplier of 30 is correct, Elite + would be 25 "old" points multiplied by 30 or the 750 points shown on the short-lived web pages. Almost the same as D+ on Royal used to be.

Some cruises have had 3 vouchers per night when the cocktail-hour lounge would be too crowded (fact). Some cruises had that instead of the lounge and some had both (fact). There may be a lounge for Elite + and vouchers for Elite as well as the Michael's Concierge Lounge for suites and Zenith (speculation)

And two observations.

Unless they change how points/credits are earned going forward, simply multiplying the 1, 2 or 3 credits earned per cruise by 30 will accomplish nothing except make the number required for each tier larger.

And none of the images found on various Celebrity servers hinted at a new level that equates to Emerald so reciprocity will have to be adjusted.

Back to speculating.

Here is my (highly speculative) guess as to how the reciprocity will work:

Gold <=> Classic

Platinum <=> Select

Emerald <=> Select

Diamond <=> Elite

Diamond+ <=> Elite +

Pinnacle <=> Zenith

And two observations.

Unless they change how points/credits are earned going forward, simply multiplying the 1, 2 or 3 credits earned per cruise by 30 will accomplish nothing except make the number required for each tier larger.

Not quite. Right now you get 1 point for cruises up to 11 days, and an extra point only for 12+ nights. With the new system, those who take 10 and 11 night cruises for example, will be earning significantly more points than those who take 7 night cruises. In essence, those who can take slightly longer cruises will earn higher status more quickly than those who take only week long cruises. Similarly, right now a 12 night cruise is the same as a 17 night cruise, points wise, whereas in the future those who can take the sailings of 15, or 18 or 21 days or whatever, will be further rewarded than those who "squeak by" earning extra points on cruises that are "only" 12 days.

Royal has always had a couple of ships doing 3 and 4 night itineraries and folks used to b*tch and moan about how those pax were getting the same credit as those who took 7 and 8 day cruises. Their new system fixed that, and Celebrities will do likewise. So while the initial conversion may not seem to make any difference, going forward it will make a big one!

Not quite. Right now you get 1 point for cruises up to 11 days, and an extra point only for 12+ nights. With the new system, those who take 10 and 11 night cruises for example, will be earning significantly more points than those who take 7 night cruises. In essence, those who can take slightly longer cruises will earn higher status more quickly than those who take only week long cruises. Similarly, right now a 12 night cruise is the same as a 17 night cruise, points wise, whereas in the future those who can take the sailings of 15, or 18 or 21 days or whatever, will be further rewarded than those who "squeak by" earning extra points on cruises that are "only" 12 days.

Royal has always had a couple of ships doing 3 and 4 night itineraries and folks used to b*tch and moan about how those pax were getting the same credit as those who took 7 and 8 day cruises. Their new system fixed that, and Celebrities will do likewise. So while the initial conversion may not seem to make any difference, going forward it will make a big one!

You missed my point. There is nothing in any of the information that was released that indicates that the method of counting will change. The web pages had the new higher numbers for each level but still had the current method of earning points. So each cruise still earned 1 point, concierge/aqua/suites earned a point and cruises over 11 days earned a point. Multiplying those points by 30 doesn't really change anything. And today's program still gives a bonus for longer cruises. A 14-night cruise gets 2 points while a 4-night cruise gets 1. Not exactly equitable, but at least there is some benefit. And spending more money (on the cruise fare) also gets more credit.

People posted screenshots (but it appears those posts were deleted) that showed the tier requirements for Elite as 300 - 749 with the old earnings method. Using that method, multiplying it by any number and using the resulting higher number for qualification doesn't change a thing.

Example:

• In today's program, 10 points for Elite can be earned in a minimum of 4 cruises. Three 12-night cruises in concierge or above plus one more of any length earns 10 points

• In the (assumed-but-not-confirmed) new program, those same 4 cruises would earn 300 points (Elite appears to be earned at 300). I base that on the table that shows the same earning rules of a max of 3 points per cruise while showing Elite to be 300 - 749 points. Of course, this example assumes the web site was correct in both points and we all know that on a good day (as few as those may be :D), the web sites on Royal and Celebrity are somewhat less than perfect.

It's interesting to me that Elite+ starts at 750 which would be 1 "old" credit more than D+, which used to be 24. That indicates to me that they do plan to line up the programs pretty closely.

However, I can't imagine that the old way of earning points will remain and agree that basing it on days/nights is how it will play out. But it can't be number of nights times 30 or it would take only 25 nights (2 transatlantics for instance) to make elite. That certainly is not the goal. The RCL change made it slightly more difficult to reach the upper levels (and leveled the playing field between those who cruise only on short cruises and those who cruise on longer ones).

Just like all the wild speculation about changes to C&A in January, there is nothing that is known for a fact. So we all just have to wait and see.

Edited by bob278

Anyone have any idea if D+ on Royal would still have access to Michael's club on celebrity ?

I would be surprised if they took away perks, but we really won't know for sure until Celebrity has announced the details of the changes.

I would be surprised if they took away perks, but we really won't know for sure until Celebrity has announced the details of the changes.

I think X is in the enviable position of not having to take perks away for its "realignment." Their Elite perks aren't comparable to RCI IMHO so there's clearly more to give and there's easy room to add a couple of premium levels following the framework already established and tested by RCI. I'm just curious to hear the details of their new, and possibly unprecedented, points system.

Edited by Dave85

I wonder if they're going to a revenue-based rewards system. 1pt for every $50 spent seems about right to get to 30pts/cruise.

Wish Royal would do something like that, I'd be Diamond by now:D

HAL gives one point for every $300 spent.

Anyone have any idea if D+ on Royal would still have access to Michael's club on celebrity ?
We are frequent Celebrity cruisers and will probably be Elite + when the dust settles. I don't believe that D+ will have access to Michael's Club. The info that I've seen on the Celebrity chatroom seems to imply that Michael's Club would be for the Zenith level, unlike the Concierge Lounge which gives access to D+ and up.

We sailed on the Infinity this past August and were given access to Michael's Club. This was a trial period when they were working out who would be considered VIPs and given access to the lounge and concierge. We were selected because we were among the most frequent cruisers on that cruise. The decision as to who was invited was made by corporate. Only some suites were eligible. We enjoyed it but we kind of figured that it would be a one-time deal for us since we knew that Celebrity was going to be changing the Captain's Club tiers and that we don't have that many cruise credits.

I don't have a clue of how it's going to work but my best guess is that Elite and Elite+ are probably going to be given vouchers or maybe the Elite lounge if there's not a huge number of Elites/Elite+. Suites, Zenith and other VIPs will be given access to Michael's Club.

When I read the website before they took it down it said that D, D+ and Pinnacle were going to be at the Elite level. Access to Micheal's Club Concierge Lounge was only listed for Zenith (The equivalent of Pinnacle).

Here is what is on CC's Celebrity Board now: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1946983

Edited by Scotty G

When I read the website before they took it down it said that D, D+ and Pinnacle were going to be at the Elite level. Access to Micheal's Club Concierge Lounge was only listed for Zenith (The equivalent of Pinnacle).

Here is what is on CC's Celebrity Board now: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1946983

That's how it is now. What you looked at was probably one of the areas that was not complete. Logic would indicate that D+ would equtes to Elite+ and Pinnacle would equate to Zenith. Of course, nobody here knows for a fact if Elite+ and Zenith will exist. :cool:

Since the concept of a Concierge Lounge is new for Celebrity, however they set it up will be new. But as others have said, this summer (at least on the Infinity), the VIP program was upper suites (not including Sky Suites) and variable top-level Elites were offered that status. At the time we sailed in August, we had 43 points and did not get invited.

Edited by bob278

That's how it is now. What you looked at was probably one of the areas that was not complete. Logic would indicate that D+ would equtes to Elite+ and Pinnacle would equate to Zenith. Of course, nobody here knows for a fact if Elite+ and Zenith will exist. :cool:

Since the concept of a Concierge Lounge is new for Celebrity, however they set it up will be new. But as others have said, this summer (at least on the Infinity), the VIP program was upper suites (not including Sky Suites) and variable top-level Elites were offered that status. At the time we sailed in August, we had 43 points and did not get invited.

Good to know as the website was not completely updated before they took it down.

See that you were in SAC. I was AFCS and OSI for 24 years. Thanks for your service!!!

And you as well. I was only in for 8 years. Just couldn't make myself re-enlist another time as I had just gotten married. I figured that the next enlistment would take me over 10 and I would have to stay and I was not willing to make another long commitment. The marriage was enough (but fortunately that has lasted almost 50 years and is going strong!).

I agree. My guess is they'll make Diamond and up reciprocal to Elite, and Elite and up reciprocal to Diamond (i.e., Diamond plus would not result in reciprocal Elite + benefits). That way, there's still a nice reciprocal benefit but the tippy top levels of the program are reserved for the specific brand's top customers. I'm not a cruise line executive but that's probably how I'd do it and I think it's perfectly fair.

I think it is fair, too. Am not complaining because I thought it was very nice to get Elite status with my Diamond status when I only had about six credits on Celebrity. Only have 11 points now on Celebrity but a TA and a week cruise booked for next year.

Tucker in Texas

Only one thing is certain: When they announce the details, there will be people who are unhappy. Some won't think the points conversion method is fair, some won't like how the reciprocity works (or doesn't work), some will think you do, or don't, need additional CC levels, some will think the perks listed for this level or that one aren't fair, it will be too much like Royal's program or it will won't be similar enough, and so on......

More details of conversion and earning have been released now.

The conversion rate is as expected, so that people didn't go back levels.

The new earning rate is as expected, although it has more tiers than I thought it would. It is lower than before. Most people will progress slower to much slower than before.

It's only really if you only travel in the Royal Suite or similar that you'll gain from the new earn rate.

More details of conversion and earning have been released now.

The conversion rate is as expected, so that people didn't go back levels.

The new earning rate is as expected, although it has more tiers than I thought it would. It is lower than before. Most people will progress slower to much slower than before.

It's only really if you only travel in the Royal Suite or similar that you'll gain from the new earn rate.

Where are you getting your information from?