Question for pam or whoever...?

catergirl

this is for Pam or whoever has done the amazon/manaus princess cruise...i just know that pam has...anyway, some people do the return from ft lauderdale and we were thinking of just doing oneway there. but my DH brought up a good point that the one down is during christmas ans may have a lot of kids. im sure there would be more there than back but this is not your typical cruise itinery. so...questioon, are kids an issue?? thanks in advance, martha:)

(PS had this posted in SA ports of call, but dont think pam has been over there so thats why i reposted:o) had 1 response but wouldnt mind a little more imput...

The cruise to Manaus is a 14-day cruise on a smaller ship, the Pacific Princess. Highly unlikely there'll be more than a very few kids onboard, if any. I've cruised from Manaus twice... terrific cruise. If you have a choice, I'd take the cruise from Manaus to FLL rather than from FLL to Manaus, mostly because you get the long flight over with first. I'd also consider a round trip. :) Flights to/from Manaus from the US are generally infrequent and expensive. The Princess charter (if they still have it) is a cattle car made bearable by wine.

Edited by Pam in CA

We took this cruise a few years ago, and it was offered around Easter. No children on board. We did it as a b2b, cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale to Manaus, then returning fropm Manaus to Ft. Lauderdale. We had heard stories here on CC about how awful the chartered flights were and didn't want to endure it. Visiting each port twice was a delight, as we chose different excursions/activities the second time around. It is a remarkable cruise, truly the trip of a lifetime. Enjoy!

The cruise to Manaus is a 14-day cruise on a smaller ship, the Pacific Princess. Highly unlikely there'll be more than a very few kids onboard, if any. I've cruised from Manaus twice... terrific cruise. If you have a choice, I'd take the cruise from Manaus to FLL rather than from FLL to Manaus, mostly because you get the long flight over with first. I'd also consider a round trip. :) Flights to/from Manaus from the US are generally infrequent and expensive. The Princess charter (if they still have it) is a cattle car made bearable by wine.

wow! got a lot quicker reply here than on the ports of call. yes it looks like my assumption was correct that kids wouldnt be an issue. and yes we will probably consider a b2b on this one. guess that one is for the next the plan, have a 31 day SA on this march on the golden right now. thanks to all who answered. martha

I also suggest the B2B if you have the time.

The time we did it the cost of the 2nd segment was about the cost of the airfare. What a choice, 2 weeks on a cruise ship or an overnight flight for the same price.

One benefit of a B2B is sometimes a port is missed going one direction and you will likely be able to stop there on the return.

Another benefit is that you do not have to try to do everything at a port since you can do one excursion one way and a different excursion the other.

Edited by caribill

We did this trip this year flew on TAM air and it was great. Very good pricing and felt well cared for. We returned by ship. Doing the back to back considering added cost would not have been cheaper. I agree the base price of a cruise seems great but as we all know the extras add up. Have a great trip

The Princess charter (if they still have it) is a cattle car made bearable by wine.

I was on that flight, and the wine didn't make it to our seats. :eek:

I'd take one of the Amazon cruises again in a heartbeat (wine or no wine).

Edited by shellbeachjim

I was on that flight, and the wine didn't make it to our seats. :eek:

I'd take one of the Amazon cruises again in a heartbeat.

That's because I was able to snag a first row bulkhead seat. I rarely drink (one bottle of wine lasted me the entire 18-day Royal T/A and that was with help from friends) but I sure drank on that flight. Besides the narrow seats and no leg room, the bigger issue was small overhead bins. It took an extra half hour just to get people seated and their carry-ons stored.

Like you, I'd do that cruise again but I'd do it as a B2B.

That's because I was able to snag a first row bulkhead seat. I rarely drink (one bottle of wine lasted me the entire 18-day Royal T/A and that was with help from friends) but I sure drank on that flight. Besides the narrow seats and no leg room, the bigger issue was small overhead bins. It took an extra half hour just to get people seated and their carry-ons stored.

Like you, I'd do that cruise again but I'd do it as a B2B.

We were in the back of the bus and had to endure an screaming, claustrophobic woman who took a long time to settle down before we could depart. It was an "interesting" flight...

so those that have posted about the 'flight'...was that a princess flight? i dont do princess flights any more because i can usually get a more direct one myself..just wondering? or are all flights to/from the amazon bad?? thanks

The one Pam and I are referring to was a Princess arranged charter from FLL to Manaus. I believe it was on World Airways.

There are flights to Manaus, and I think the only ones direct from the US are on American from Miami. I think TAM flies to Manaus via Rio or Sao Paulo (both of these are way out of the way). Copa flies through Panama City. I don't even know if Princess still does the charter.

so my next question is one i cant get from princess...when have the previous amazon cruises gone? this coming year its dec 23 to jan 20/14. anyone know when it went last year or the year before?? we are from canada and we go to FL for a good part of the winter and wanted to book around approx when this cruise goes. anyway any info would be helpful, thanks martha:D

so my next question is one i cant get from princess...when have the previous amazon cruises gone? this coming year its dec 23 to jan 20/14. anyone know when it went last year or the year before?? we are from canada and we go to FL for a good part of the winter and wanted to book around approx when this cruise goes. anyway any info would be helpful, thanks martha:D

In 2012 it was in Dec. and Jan. When we did it in 2009, it was March and April. It looks as if they are sticking to the Dec/Jan dates. In 2015 we are on the WC in January, so the Amazon will have to be prior to that.

If it is even offered at all, it would have to be after the WC as it is not on the posted schedule before that.

Very possible. It would then be back in the same time frame as when we did it in 2009. I doubt it though, because the WC ends in LA. So I guess no Amazon for '15. Unless they use another ship other than the Pacific.

Edited by Pia1913

Very possible. It would then be back in the same time frame as when we did it in 2009. I doubt it though, because the WC ends in LA. So I guess no Amazon for '15. Unless they use another ship other than the Pacific.

guess with this itinerary i will have to wait and see:confused:

Princes for this December for the Amazon cruise are sky high.

For the full 28 day round trip, an inside cabin is now $238/person/day + the additional gvt fees and taxes. Balcony cabins start at $288/person/day.

For just Manaus to FLL, balcony cabins start at $333.50/person/day.

One thing to consider on an Amazon RT is that the menu, the ports, and most of the entertainment is a complete repeat. That may or may not be important to you, but we found it to be too repetitive.

The menu and entertainment being repetitive is no different than any other B2B even if the ports are different. Many posters on Cruise Critic indicate they often take B2Bs. What I have found on a B2B is that a second segment gives me a chance to try a different menu item or repeat one I really liked the first time. It also allows me to do alternative entertainment the second segment.

As far as the ports being repeated, when we did an Amazon B2b that was a benefit. On the way to Manaus one port had to be skipped and time at another reduced. On the way back to Florida we made the originally skipped port but had to miss a port which we had seen on the first segment. And for the ports that were repeated, we did something different each time and did not have to cram it all into one visit.

As you say, a B2B will bother some and not others.

One other thought. When we did this, we originally had only booked Manaus to Florida. Princess then sent us our flight info.

o Overnight to Sao Paulo arriving at 5 AM.

o Wait until late morning for a flight to depart to Manaus.

o Arrive in Manaus around 5 PM, after almost 30 hours or travel time.

For about the same price, we changed to a B2B. Having the time available, it was a much better choice to spend 12 relaxing days on a cruise ship and its ports vs. nightmare travel to Manaus.

Edited by caribill