mozzies

If you read the info in the Lonely Planet for NZ, which i did, they reckon sandflies can be so bad in the sounds in summer that they just about carry you off:eek: We have been there both winter & Feb last year & didn't have a problem. though it was really cold & we were well covered in warm clothes.

If you read the info in the Lonely Planet for NZ, which i did, they reckon sandflies can be so bad in the sounds in summer that they just about carry you off:eek: We have been there both winter & Feb last year & didn't have a problem. though it was really cold & we were well covered in warm clothes.

When we visited Milford Sound as part of a land based holiday to New Zealand (back before we discovered cruising) we were almost eaten alive by sandflies but this was in the car park. There didn't seem to any around once we were out on the sound, although that could have been because of the insect repellant we bought. We sailed the Sounds on Voyager of the Seas in February and didn't encounter any.

We did Australia and New Zealand in December and never had a problem - and trust me, if a mosquito is around it will find me. No need for bug spray unless you go into the rain forest (we did that on another land trip and did need spray for that!) On our cruise it was perfect - I'm hoping to do it again :-)

Others may have had a difference experience but we've never encounter flys or mozzies on any of the 6 cruises we've taken.

Same here. I'm almost at the point of not packing repellents. I'm sure the one I've been taking has reached its use by date ;)

That said, if you are planning on trekking rainforest , you really need it.

Same here. I'm almost at the point of not packing repellents. I'm sure the one I've been taking has reached its use by date ;)

That said, if you are planning on trekking rainforest , you really need it.

I agree.:)

I packed repellent for our Central & South American cruises because a lot of people were recommending it because of the risk of malaria and yellow fever, but we didn't see even one flying insect.

We have just come back from a land tour of Bangkok & Chang Mai and there were warnings about dengue fever carrying mozzies in Thailand so we packed loads of repellent. Didnt see one mozzie.

On a NZ cruise 2 years ago we anchored off Napier (I think it was) and the ship was invaded by blowflies. In no time they were in the dining room and buffet. The crew obviously did not know the danger blowflies were to exposed food and I pointed out to the head waiter that any meat products would be "flyblown" if they did not take precautions to get rid of the blowflies.

The flies were attracted to the ship, probably by food smells and the ship was close enough to the land for them to get out to it.

There should be no problems from insects at all while out at sea away from land as most, if not all insects are land based.

John

Biggest risk with Mozzies is Yellow Fever. We had yellow fever shots in 2002, first trip to South America and having another lot next week for our South American trip next Feb/March, as we have land travel in Chile and Argentina as well as 31 days cruise on Golden Princess from BA to LA. Peru is one of the danger areas for yellow fever carried by Mosquitoes. For the sake of an $80 shot each, $50 of which we get back from AHM Health Fund, it is peace of mind. Some countries will not accept you if you have been in yellow fever areas, so if you have the yellow fever shots, ensure you get the international vaccination certificate with your shots to nail into thy passport.

Edited by NSWP