Thanks, cruise ship balcony!! A commentary..

big al

Hi Big Al,

I came across you post today, as I always do when I plan for a cruise I start looking at post for info and more info, all the info I can get on the ship I am sailing on to the ports we will be stopping at.

Thanks to my daughter she planted the seed of going on another cruise. So I started doing my research and I booked my nest cruise for 3/22/15 on Carnival Magic. Sorry to say when my daughter finds out that she wont be going is something I guess I will have to deal with at that time. :eek: I can only hear it now (your not taking me?) hehe Nope!

As I read your post it brought back memories of my first cruise on Carnival Tropical. Yes I had an inside cabin, and it was small. Then moved to a window, to where I went on a cruise with my Mom and daughter with our first balcony. Since then, I only cruise with a balcony.

Now to my current cruise, I told my boyfriend (we have an agreement, I by the cruise, he picks up the ship tab) that I wanted a larger balcony, and uncle sam was good to me this year, I wanted to pick my room. I choose the Premium Vista Balcony on the empress deck. I don't think this year will pass by quick enough as the waiting for the new experience of a larger balcony has taken over with excitement. Let the waiting game begin!;)

I will pass on the info of the binoculars to my boyfriend. I think we will be at a great spot to look at things. If you have any other advice or info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Tammie

Tammie- The Premium Vista balconies on CCL are real nice..you always want to make sure there are cabins above you AND below you..no public rooms or spaces like the pool deck, club or bars, etc...that lessons the possibility of noise...you, like me, started with an inside & worked your way up- Good girl! Question: has your BF been on a cruise or balcony? If not to either, tell him the binocs are so much fun to see both other cruise ships passing by, or seeing islands coming up...I also have a list of helpful things to bring for your cruise/ cabin..if you want, I will post the link/ list here...

Big Al

Hi Al,

Loved your post and agree with everything, our first cruise was an inside and we enjoyed it a lot. (until we saw and could afford better!). Now its a balcony or no cruise. I think (like a lot of people) our sleep habits are different, I'm an early riser, my better half likes to sleep in a bit on holidays. One of the best parts of a cruise for me is waking about 5-530am and heading to the balcony with my ipad. Watching a sunrise by yourself with a good book and a cold drink is a dream,,, words doesn't do it justice,, you have to do it. (Plus makes better half happy because your not moving around the cabin making noises trying to "accidently" wake her up so that the day can begin! ;))

Tammie- The Premium Vista balconies on CCL are real nice..you always want to make sure there are cabins above you AND below you..no public rooms or spaces like the pool deck, club or bars, etc...that lessons the possibility of noise...you, like me, started with an inside & worked your way up- Good girl! Question: has your BF been on a cruise or balcony? If not to either, tell him the binocs are so much fun to see both other cruise ships passing by, or seeing islands coming up...I also have a list of helpful things to bring for your cruise/ cabin..if you want, I will post the link/ list here...

Big Al

Hi Al,

Yes, first I made sure that we had other rooms above and below us, as I can be a light sleeper. My boyfriend, his name is Chris wears ear plugs and can sleep thru most noises. Yes he has been on 2 cruses, his first was in a closet (love that phrase) and then on our 9 day we had a balcony. I told him about the binoculars and he said thanks, he would never have thought of it. So we are making a list. With that, yes please if you could post the link I would love to see it. Thank you again!

Tammie

Hi Al,

Yes, first I made sure that we had other rooms above and below us, as I can be a light sleeper. My boyfriend, his name is Chris wears ear plugs and can sleep thru most noises. Yes he has been on 2 cruses, his first was in a closet (love that phrase) and then on our 9 day we had a balcony. I told him about the binoculars and he said thanks, he would never have thought of it. So we are making a list. With that, yes please if you could post the link I would love to see it. Thank you again!

Tammie

HERE YOU GO:

1) Air Freshener

2) Notebook/ pad for notes

3) Small clips to keep drapes closed

4) Small LED light for bathroom

5) Digital clock

6) 3 plug adapter for extra outlets & charging

7) Sanitizer wipes for balcony handles, TV remote, phone,etc

8) List of meds good to take:tummy meds,cold,headache,motion sickness,etc.

9) Shoe- holder ( door) to hold things

10) Little fan for noise/ radio w/ sounds

Any questions, comments, let me know...I am a poor sleeper- I need QUIET, Darkness, and I like the cabin COLD when I sleep, so numbers 3 & 10 are definites..I like to hear the hum of the A/C ..it drowns out noises from the hallway, outside, or your neighbors on either side. On our last Disney Dream cruise, the A/C sound was so low, I couldn't hear the A/C at all- nothing!..I had to use my radio w/ sounds.My wife is the opposite- she can sleep anywhere, anytime, any place- really ticks me off, LOL...

Alan

Hi Al,

Loved your post and agree with everything, our first cruise was an inside and we enjoyed it a lot. (until we saw and could afford better!). Now its a balcony or no cruise. I think (like a lot of people) our sleep habits are different, I'm an early riser, my better half likes to sleep in a bit on holidays. One of the best parts of a cruise for me is waking about 5-530am and heading to the balcony with my ipad. Watching a sunrise by yourself with a good book and a cold drink is a dream,,, words doesn't do it justice,, you have to do it. (Plus makes better half happy because your not moving around the cabin making noises trying to "accidently" wake her up so that the day can begin! ;))

Charmed101: we too, are early risers by habit..maybe not as much on a cruise, but NEVER past 7:30..a tip: if you book far enough in advance, you'll ALWAYS get a balcony..we book 12-18 months ahead to secure the cabin we want, on the deck we want, on the ship we want, and it never fails..best prices are early too, unless ship is not sold out, then you may get last minute bargains...and you are right about sitting outside when your other half is still sleeping..I do that a lot and love sitting outside early on a beautiful morning..funny story: early on in our "cruise career", I got up early one morning and the sun hadn't risen yet..instead of going outside to the balcony, I "futzed" around the cabin, but couldn't see anything ( didn't want to turn on the light)..eventually, I tripped over a pillow from the sofa and went flying into that sofa, waking my wife..when she saw me on the couch face down, she laughed hysterically, and said, "listen, just sit outside from now on"..true story..

Big Al

HERE YOU GO:

1) Air Freshener

2) Notebook/ pad for notes

3) Small clips to keep drapes closed

4) Small LED light for bathroom

5) Digital clock

6) 3 plug adapter for extra outlets & charging

7) Sanitizer wipes for balcony handles, TV remote, phone,etc

8) List of meds good to take:tummy meds,cold,headache,motion sickness,etc.

9) Shoe- holder ( door) to hold things

10) Little fan for noise/ radio w/ sounds

Any questions, comments, let me know...I am a poor sleeper- I need QUIET, Darkness, and I like the cabin COLD when I sleep, so numbers 3 & 10 are definites..I like to hear the hum of the A/C ..it drowns out noises from the hallway, outside, or your neighbors on either side. On our last Disney Dream cruise, the A/C sound was so low, I couldn't hear the A/C at all- nothing!..I had to use my radio w/ sounds.My wife is the opposite- she can sleep anywhere, anytime, any place- really ticks me off, LOL...

Alan

Hi Alan

Thank you for the info. I have used a few of them, but the others will really help, as I would have never have thought of them. With a little over a year till our cruise I am making a list and getting items and putting them together so when it comes time for our cruise I will be ready. :D

Tammie

We are leaving on the Carnival Triumph next Thursday, and I called this morning and changed us from on OV to a balcony. Then I stumble upon this thread and it makes me even MORE excited about that decision. I have cruised once when I was 16 (24 years ago!) and this will be the first for DH, DS (13) and DS (10).

Thanks, Big Al!

We are leaving on the Carnival Triumph next Thursday, and I called this morning and changed us from on OV to a balcony. Then I stumble upon this thread and it makes me even MORE excited about that decision. I have cruised once when I was 16 (24 years ago!) and this will be the first for DH, DS (13) and DS (10).

Thanks, Big Al!

Funny, I took my DW, her sister , and 2 nieces (14,15) & 1 nephew ( 15 ) on the Triumph in '04...we had a great time, but I will NEVER take 3 teens again anywhere, anytime,LOL...they are all grown up now ( TG..), BUT they said it is STILL the greatest vacation they ever took thanks to Uncle Alan ( who paid for the whole trip for ALL...)...great decision to get a balcony....read my suggestions or write them down, better yet, print them out & take with you...also just above this post you will see suggestions for what to bring with you for your cabin that may make your cruise more comfortable...any questions, give a shout!!

Big Al

Hi Alan

Thank you for the info. I have used a few of them, but the others will really help, as I would have never have thought of them. With a little over a year till our cruise I am making a list and getting items and putting them together so when it comes time for our cruise I will be ready. :D

Tammie

You are welcome, Tammie...have a great cruise, and let me know if I can help or suggest anything else...

Big Al

Our first cruise was on an inside on the Rhapsody. Because it was a Christmas cruise which are expensive, it was all we could afford. It was either an inside or not cruise at all. We loved our inside cabin. Loved the darkness in the mornings and being able to sleep in - important when travelling with teens. I think that inside cabins are great for first time cruisers because you tend to spend more time out of your cabin on your first cruise exploring the ship and attending all the activities and going to all the ports.

Now am I about to book my second cruise and I have decided to splurge on a balcony. Our cruise will be 14 days with plenty of sea days and I just think a balcony with fresh air will be a much better option. Room service on the balcony is very appealing too. And we will be cruising over NYE/school holidays so it will be nice to be able to head back to our room and balcony to escape the crowds.

So, thanks for this post. You have convinced that spending extra $$$ on a balcony will be worth it.

Our first cruise was on an inside on the Rhapsody. Because it was a Christmas cruise which are expensive, it was all we could afford. It was either an inside or not cruise at all. We loved our inside cabin. Loved the darkness in the mornings and being able to sleep in - important when travelling with teens. I think that inside cabins are great for first time cruisers because you tend to spend more time out of your cabin on your first cruise exploring the ship and attending all the activities and going to all the ports.

Now am I about to book my second cruise and I have decided to splurge on a balcony. Our cruise will be 14 days with plenty of sea days and I just think a balcony with fresh air will be a much better option. Room service on the balcony is very appealing too. And we will be cruising over NYE/school holidays so it will be nice to be able to head back to our room and balcony to escape the crowds.

So, thanks for this post. You have convinced that spending extra $$$ on a balcony will be worth it.

Congrats on your 1st balcony cruise!! As I mention, it is a COMPLETELY different perspective in a balcony cabin..in an inside cabin to me, it felt like I was in a MOTEL room, NOT a part of the cruise ship experience...in a balcony cabin,you are so much more connected to the sea & your cruise..you are connected to 4 walls & darkness in an inside...no sun, no salt air & wind ( HUGE difference there..), no waves, no moonlit seas at night..also, consider taking a plate from the buffet, or just desserts , or drinks, and go sit out on your balcony away from the crowds..also, read my tips & suggestions before you go, even print or write them down...what ship will you be on?

Big Al

Congrats on your 1st balcony cruise!! As I mention, it is a COMPLETELY different perspective in a balcony cabin..in an inside cabin to me, it felt like I was in a MOTEL room, NOT a part of the cruise ship experience...in a balcony cabin,you are so much more connected to the sea & your cruise..you are connected to 4 walls & darkness in an inside...no sun, no salt air & wind ( HUGE difference there..), no waves, no <B> moonlit seas at night</B>..also, consider taking a plate from the buffet, or just desserts , or drinks, and go sit out on your balcony away from the crowds..also, read my tips & suggestions before you go, even print or write them down...what ship will you be on?

Big Al

I wasn't going to comment on this thread again until I saw MOONLIT SEAS... Since my cruise in December was my first, I was unaccustomed to the rocking of the ship and couldn't sleep one night (and maybe partially because I was so excited we were reaching our first port in a few hours!). Woke up at 3am and had to get up. Let me tell you... That moonlight on the ocean took my breath away! So serene and magical! I sat out there for about an hour, and repeated this a few other nights too! I was so glad that we ended up in a balcony (happy accident, because getting an inside was the original plan). Big Al speaks the TRUTH. I've been dying to cruise again ever since... You will not regret that balcony!! Enjoyyyyyy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wasn't going to comment on this thread again until I saw MOONLIT SEAS... Since my cruise in December was my first, I was unaccustomed to the rocking of the ship and couldn't sleep one night (and maybe partially because I was so excited we were reaching our first port in a few hours!). Woke up at 3am and had to get up. Let me tell you... That moonlight on the ocean took my breath away! So serene and magical! I sat out there for about an hour, and repeated this a few other nights too! I was so glad that we ended up in a balcony (happy accident, because getting an inside was the original plan). Big Al speaks the TRUTH. I've been dying to cruise again ever since... You will not regret that balcony!! Enjoyyyyyy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Great story cruisebear84! I, too, have woken up in the middle of the night and sat out there on my PRIVATE verandah and have been mesmorized at the moonlit sky & sea...what do you when you wake up in an inside cabin? Walk around the 4 walls? Walk out into the hallway? Of course, you can leave the cabin & stroll around the ship at 3 am, which can be pretty cool sometimes, but give me my quiet, intimate balcony and as cruisebear84 says, it will take your breath away!! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Big Al

When I cruise with friends we either do inside or ocean view but cruising with my hubby is a must for a balcony! I love how you described the balcony. We feel pretty much the same way. I don't think I'd get hubby on a cruise without the balcony. We're really looking forward to our Aft balcony on our cruise next year. If only it wasn't so far away!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When I cruise with friends we either do inside or ocean view but cruising with my hubby is a must for a balcony! I love how you described the balcony. We feel pretty much the same way. I don't think I'd get hubby on a cruise without the balcony. We're really looking forward to our Aft balcony on our cruise next year. If only it wasn't so far away!

Aft balconies have a completely different vision from the standard side view..have you ever been in an aft balcony? So serene to see the wake of the ship...also, afts are usually 20-50% bigger than regular balconies..have a great time!

Big Al

Aft balconies have a completely different vision from the standard side view..have you ever been in an aft balcony? So serene to see the wake of the ship...also, afts are usually 20-50% bigger than regular balconies..have a great time!

Big Al

We've never had an aft cabin before. I did notice the balcony is bigger. I'm really looking forward to being able to watch the wake from the balcony. My hubby and I spent a lot of time on our last balcony cabin but it was right under the main deck so it wasn't as quiet as we would have liked.

We've never had an aft cabin before. I did notice the balcony is bigger. I'm really looking forward to being able to watch the wake from the balcony. My hubby and I spent a lot of time on our last balcony cabin but it was right under the main deck so it wasn't as quiet as we would have liked.

A tip for the future : Try & make sure you always have cabins above you AND below you to lessen to noise factor.. am a light sleeper ( unlike my wife who's one of "those" who sleeps anywhere, any place, any time- ugh!)...what ship are you going on?

Big Al

A tip for the future : Try & make sure you always have cabins above you AND below you to lessen to noise factor.. am a light sleeper ( unlike my wife who's one of "those" who sleeps anywhere, any place, any time- ugh!)...what ship are you going on?

Big Al

Good Morning Big Al, Don't know if you remember me but I posted months ago about cabin selection for my first cruise....well I am going on my very first cruise Carnival Breeze in April...The 2 couples that invited me to go along had already planned their trips in November so I am trying to get my cabin (balcony) booked today...eckkss.. The other couples have booked inside but I want balcony (as you suggested earlier). I am solo and paying a bit more but for my first cruise I want to enjoy:p However being late in booking I can only get midship level 6...is that ok? The agent tried to get me on level 7 for my first cruise but all sold out....I am so excited but scared at the same time...I am a light sleeper so will pack a small fan....If this cruise goes well, they are planning a Medit cruise in October so this will be a test to see if I enjoy cruising....being 60yrs I need to start exploring:o..Thank you ever so much for all your post...after work today I will look over the post for more info....Have a great day....

Big Al

The Crown Princess. This will be our second time on her. I really enjoyed our last cruise on the Crown so I'm sure this one will be awesome too!

My husband and I are going on our 3rd cruise next month and we always have a balcony room. We love to watch sunrises and sunsets from our balcony and sit outside to enjoy those balmy Caribbean breezes! We are on NCL Sun for an 11 day Southern Caribbean cruise March 27,2014; we will celebrate our 50th anniversary while on our cruise!

My husband and I are going on our 3rd cruise next month and we always have a balcony room. We love to watch sunrises and sunsets from our balcony and sit outside to enjoy those balmy Caribbean breezes! We are on NCL Sun for an 11 day Southern Caribbean cruise March 27,2014; we will celebrate our 50th anniversary while on our cruise!

Congrats on your 50th anniversary. I am taking my very first cruise in April to the Caribbean along with 2 couples. I am solo (widowed) so I booked a balcony for myself...yeah...I always wanted to cruise with my husband but he wasn't too thrilled with the idea..:( Next month would have been our 35th wedding anniv.)....I am sooo excited about the balcony...Enjoy your cruise..have a beautiful anniversary....P.S. We will be doing only a 6 day cruise..

The Crown Princess. This will be our second time on her. I really enjoyed our last cruise on the Crown so I'm sure this one will be awesome too!

She is a great ship..took our FIRST balcony cruise on the Grand Princess in 2000- never booked anything other than balcony or Jr/ mini suite since..have a great time!!

Big Al

Congrats on your 50th!! Wow, that's fantastic..we also cruised the Sun in '01- our 1st NCL cruise and loved it..LOVE Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, & Cagney's...tough to beat watching sunrises & sunsets from your balcony..try breakfast on your balcony if you haven't done that yet..also full moon nights are magical...have a great cruise ziggy001!

Big Al

Congrats on your 50th anniversary. I am taking my very first cruise in April to the Caribbean along with 2 couples. I am solo (widowed) so I booked a balcony for myself...yeah...I always wanted to cruise with my husband but he wasn't too thrilled with the idea..:( Next month would have been our 35th wedding anniv.)....I am sooo excited about the balcony...Enjoy your cruise..have a beautiful anniversary....P.S. We will be doing only a 6 day cruise..

Vidreamer- First, sorry to hear on the passing of your husband...2nd, it's GREAT you finally are taking a cruise AND you have a balcony..what ship will you be on?

Big Al

Vidreamer- First, sorry to hear on the passing of your husband...2nd, it's GREAT you finally are taking a cruise AND you have a balcony..what ship will you be on?

Big Al

Carnival Breeze April 20th. The girls are trying to plan a cruise to Europe in Sept/Oct and this was my chance to see if I would enjoy cruising:p The only balcony room I could find was on level 6 midship...The other couples booked in October last year (inside cabins) I wanted balcony:p Wish me luck..Thank you for your reply..