Thanks, cruise ship balcony!! A commentary..

big al

Hi Big Al

Here's a question that I haven't seen covered . We've taken a couple of dozen cruises and have always booked a balcony , however on our next cruise on Coral Princess , we purposely booked a mini suite that has a smaller balcony than the others . Why ?, well , this is a wrap around clear glass balcony that offers all around views instead of straight ahead as with most bal. it's cabin B416 , and since we both have walking issues , it's thankfully midship , near elevators . Have you seen this one ?

Josie

Hi Big Al

Here's a question that I haven't seen covered . We've taken a couple of dozen cruises and have always booked a balcony , however on our next cruise on Coral Princess , we purposely booked a mini suite that has a smaller balcony than the others . Why ?, well , this is a wrap around clear glass balcony that offers all around views instead of straight ahead as with most bal. it's cabin B416 , and since we both have walking issues , it's thankfully midship , near elevators . Have you seen this one ?

Josie

Josie- These are like on the "bump" or part of the ship that sticks out a bit...the Coral Princess has these mini- suites that are on the corner midship- very cool views and we were in a mini-suite on the Grand Princess..loved it and I especially liked the 2 TV's...yes, the balcony is a little smaller than others, but the views more than make up for it! Have a great cruise!!

Big Al

We always sailed suites with big balconies until we landed on Windstar. We were a bit apprehensive, but quickly realized that we never missed it on a port intensive small ship. We had a balcony in our last cruise--again a port intensive small ship, the Paul Gauguin--and almost never used it.

On a large ship you need it to get away from the masses and have some private space. On a small ship it is simply not necessary as there is never a competition for deck seating, plenty of passenger space, plenty of quiet spots both inside and out to enjoy. I will not likely spend the money for a balcony on a small ship again, however I would never book an inside cabin under any circumstances.

We always sailed suites with big balconies until we landed on Windstar. We were a bit apprehensive, but quickly realized that we never missed it on a port intensive small ship. We had a balcony in our last cruise--again a port intensive small ship, the Paul Gauguin--and almost never used it.

On a large ship you need it to get away from the masses and have some private space. On a small ship it is simply not necessary as there is never a competition for deck seating, plenty of passenger space, plenty of quiet spots both inside and out to enjoy. I will not likely spend the money for a balcony on a small ship again, however I would never book an inside cabin under any circumstances.

Good point regarding port intensive cruises...we are doing a Southern Caribb one next year and have only one sea day out of 7 ( San Juan departure)..there may be less time to enjoy our balcony, but on a ship that carries 3500 passengers, you are right about needing it just to get away from all the passengers..I also will NEVER book an inside cabin again for all the reasons I wrote in my original post...I never want to miss the sea, the salt air, the sunsets, the passing of other ships, the islands, ports, but mostly, feeling that CONNECTION TO THE SEA you feel when you're out there..you can never feel that in an inside cabin...Thanks , cruise ship balcony!

Big Al

Big AL, You are going to ruin it for the rest of us. If everyone knows how great a balcony is everyone is going to want one. As I pass by inside cabins I always am thankful that there are those that chose to stay in a broom closet. Having said that, I agree with everything you say. Our (DH and I) first cruise was on the Carnival Inspiration. We took my parents as a Christmas present (we cruised in January). We both had Oceanviews, at the time I thought it was an indulgence over an inside cabin. Later that year Carnival was bringing out the Conquest which would be the biggest ship at the time and was offering special fares so we booked a balcony on the 6 night cruise before it began regular sailings. We have never looked back. As we sailed into the first port, our cabin was on the dock side, we sat on our balcony as we pulled in next to another Carnival ship with all their crew and many passengers watching. The Conquest felt SO big. That sold us on the Balcony. DH favorite thing to do is be on the balcony with his binoculars. In port or at sea, it doesn't matter. We have now taken 16 Carnival, 3 Princess and 4 NCL (including 2 transatlantic) most with various types of balcony cabins (a few smaller ships we have gone on with others and did not have the option of a balcony.)

To your list of items to take I would like to add Painters Tape. It has many uses, the most important of which is taping the room service menu on the mirror over the phone for the mid afternoon snack on the balcony.

Big AL, You are going to ruin it for the rest of us. If everyone knows how great a balcony is everyone is going to want one. As I pass by inside cabins I always am thankful that there are those that chose to stay in a broom closet. Having said that, I agree with everything you say. Our (DH and I) first cruise was on the Carnival Inspiration. We took my parents as a Christmas present (we cruised in January). We both had Oceanviews, at the time I thought it was an indulgence over an inside cabin. Later that year Carnival was bringing out the Conquest which would be the biggest ship at the time and was offering special fares so we booked a balcony on the 6 night cruise before it began regular sailings. We have never looked back. As we sailed into the first port, our cabin was on the dock side, we sat on our balcony as we pulled in next to another Carnival ship with all their crew and many passengers watching. The Conquest felt SO big. That sold us on the Balcony. DH favorite thing to do is be on the balcony with his binoculars. In port or at sea, it doesn't matter. We have now taken 16 Carnival, 3 Princess and 4 NCL (including 2 transatlantic) most with various types of balcony cabins (a few smaller ships we have gone on with others and did not have the option of a balcony.)

To your list of items to take I would like to add Painters Tape. It has many uses, the most important of which is taping the room service menu on the mirror over the phone for the mid afternoon snack on the balcony.

Thanks for the tip on Painters Tape...you were like me, starting in an oceanview on Carnival...your DH does the same as me- binocs on the balcony as we pull into a port..I also love when I see another ship in the distance and I can't make out what cruise line/ ship it is...then I take the binocs out and see it may be NCL or CCL...

A suggestion: you should try RCI- their ships BLOW AWAY any Carnival ship ( and we've done 6 CCL)..no neon, no glitz , no practically having to shield your eyes when you're inside...I especially recommend the Oasis & Allure, Freedom Class ( Freedom, Liberty & Independence Of The Seas) or the Radiance class if you prefer smaller, more intimate ships ( I don't, but they are classy..)...Central Park ( Oasis ships), the Aqua Park diving show( Oasis), ice-skating shows with Russian, Canadian & US skaters ( all but Radiance), The infamous Royal Promenade ( all but Radiance), the Zip line ( Oasis), the AMAZING canti-levered hot tubs in the Adult Solarium pool area that stick out over the sides for breathtaking views ( all but Radiance), and REAL music by the pool- no DJ like CCL has recently started doing, much to most people's dislike..I've been reading that entertainment & shows have also gone down in quality...we love the new NCL ships like the Getaway & Breakaway- so much to do..BTW, average balcony on the RCI Freedom class is 65 SF , on Oasis class, 54 SF..compared to Carnival's 40 SF, big difference...I know RCI is more $$, but a Grand Hyatt costs more than a Best Western and Ruth Chris costs more than the Outback...if you want anymore info on the RCI ships , let me know..we also like Princess & Disney, of course, is outta this world and has THEE best service, shows, cabins, and private island ( Castaway Cay), IMO of all..also the best buffet ( shrimp cocktail, coconut fried shrimp, crab claws at lunch & eggs benedict for breakfast!!)...thanks for your comments!

Big Al

Thanks for the tip on Painters Tape...you were like me, starting in an oceanview on Carnival...your DH does the same as me- binocs on the balcony as we pull into a port..I also love when I see another ship in the distance and I can't make out what cruise line/ ship it is...then I take the binocs out and see it may be NCL or CCL...

A suggestion: you should try RCI- their ships BLOW AWAY any Carnival ship ( and we've done 6 CCL)..no neon, no glitz , no practically having to shield your eyes when you're inside...I especially recommend the Oasis & Allure, Freedom Class ( Freedom, Liberty & Independence Of The Seas) or the Radiance class if you prefer smaller, more intimate ships ( I don't, but they are classy..)...Central Park ( Oasis ships), the Aqua Park diving show( Oasis), ice-skating shows with Russian, Canadian & US skaters ( all but Radiance), The infamous Royal Promenade ( all but Radiance), the Zip line ( Oasis), the AMAZING canti-levered hot tubs in the Adult Solarium pool area that stick out over the sides for breathtaking views ( all but Radiance), and REAL music by the pool- no DJ like CCL has recently started doing, much to most people's dislike..I've been reading that entertainment & shows have also gone down in quality...we love the new NCL ships like the Getaway & Breakaway- so much to do..BTW, average balcony on the RCI Freedom class is 65 SF , on Oasis class, 54 SF..compared to Carnival's 40 SF, big difference...I know RCI is more $$, but a Grand Hyatt costs more than a Best Western and Ruth Chris costs more than the Outback...if you want anymore info on the RCI ships , let me know..we also like Princess & Disney, of course, is outta this world and has THEE best service, shows, cabins, and private island ( Castaway Cay), IMO of all..also the best buffet ( shrimp cocktail, coconut fried shrimp, crab claws at lunch & eggs benedict for breakfast!!)...thanks for your comments!

Big Al

Big Al, Don't know if your remember me but you talked me into a balcony for my very first cruise this past April. I traveled with 2 couples & was solo..at the time Carnival waived their solo fees & I got a great price....I loved..loved..loved the balcony...thank you...the one couple that always books inside upgraded to a balcony & now the husband wants to only cruise that way...they are veteran cruisers.....Well I am now hooked on cruising...If I didn't have to work for a living..wow I'd be cruising every other week. I am constantly surfing the web for solo supplement fees for cruises. Do you know if RCL does solo at any time. I enjoy Carnival but from your posting I think I would love to check out RCL & NCL......I am booked with a friend for NCL Epic in October to Europe (hopefully if the airfare comes down) balcony...she wanted inside to save money & I told her I can't travel that way..hehehehhe...so we shall see if we make this trip...it all depends on airfare because for the cost of airfare out of Des Moines to Rome is $1400..heck for that price I can take another cruise out of the states somewhere...Well just want to thank you for selling me on the balcony because I think this will be my only way of vacationing from now on...hopefully...:D

Big Al, Don't know if your remember me but you talked me into a balcony for my very first cruise this past April. I traveled with 2 couples & was solo..at the time Carnival waived their solo fees & I got a great price....I loved..loved..loved the balcony...thank you...the one couple that always books inside upgraded to a balcony & now the husband wants to only cruise that way...they are veteran cruisers.....Well I am now hooked on cruising...If I didn't have to work for a living..wow I'd be cruising every other week. I am constantly surfing the web for solo supplement fees for cruises. Do you know if RCL does solo at any time. I enjoy Carnival but from your posting I think I would love to check out RCL & NCL......I am booked with a friend for NCL Epic in October to Europe (hopefully if the airfare comes down) balcony...she wanted inside to save money & I told her I can't travel that way..hehehehhe...so we shall see if we make this trip...it all depends on airfare because for the cost of airfare out of Des Moines to Rome is $1400..heck for that price I can take another cruise out of the states somewhere...Well just want to thank you for selling me on the balcony because I think this will be my only way of vacationing from now on...hopefully...:D

VL dreamer- Yes, I remember you! I should put your post as an example to all those who are "CICP"'s ( Chronic inside cabin people)...I have met quite a few on cruises, while discussing cruises casually or just trying to convince people to just TRY a balcony- your story and your friend's story are sooooo perfect!

Regarding RCI, their 2 new ships , Quantum Of The Seas ( Nov 2014) and Anthem of The Seas ( NY May 2015) will both have solo cabins...nothing against Carnival, as I mentioned, have done 6 cruises with them, but I feel RCI, Norwegian, Celebrity, Princess, Disney & MSC have better to offer...Carnival has great deals & very good itinerary choices, but the SHIPS themselves are behind the ones I mentioned, IMO...try the new NCL Getaway out of Miami that does Eastern Caribb..I just did a tour of her, and she is PERFECT for solo cruisers..they have separate cabins, separate LOUNGES for solo cruisers..cabins are only 100 sf, but they are new, comfy, have a shower, TV,etc..there are 22 dining options, amazing shows & entertainment, and an area called the "Waterfront" which is an outside promenade area on deck 8 where you can eat & sit OUTSIDE & drink and see the sea!! There are also Japanese Steakhouses ( Teppanyaki), Cagney's Steakhouse, Le Bistro ( French, fantastic!!), Moderno's ( Brazilian, yummy..) La Cucina ( Italian) , and over a dozen more choices, some free, some $$..the Oasis & Allure of the Seas are also AMAZING ships...yes, they are a bit more $$, but IMO, you get a lot more for your money...yes, $1400 is alot of money for air, but Europe is $$..the Epic is loaded with goodies, although I prefer the newer Breakaway ( NY) and the Getaway as I just mentioned..Epic also has most of the dining venues I mentioned, so try to eat in AT LEAST Teppanyaki's & Le Bistro -you will love them both...make sure you put an "alert" on your flights to Rome..that is, for example, on KAYAK, I set up an "alert" for flights to wherever I want and you can ask for daily ( recommended) or weekly alerts on the price of airfare from Des Moines to Rome..then you'll always have an alert on fares..any more info needed, let me know- I'm sooo glad you listened and now you can say, Thanks, cruise ship balcony!

Big Al

VL dreamer- Yes, I remember you! I should put your post as an example to all those who are "CICP"'s ( Chronic inside cabin people)...I have met quite a few on cruises, while discussing cruises casually or just trying to convince people to just TRY a balcony- your story and your friend's story are sooooo perfect!

Regarding RCI, their 2 new ships , Quantum Of The Seas ( Nov 2014) and Anthem of The Seas ( NY May 2015) will both have solo cabins...nothing against Carnival, as I mentioned, have done 6 cruises with them, but I feel RCI, Norwegian, Celebrity, Princess, Disney & MSC have better to offer...Carnival has great deals & very good itinerary choices, but the SHIPS themselves are behind the ones I mentioned, IMO...try the new NCL Getaway out of Miami that does Eastern Caribb..I just did a tour of her, and she is PERFECT for solo cruisers..they have separate cabins, separate LOUNGES for solo cruisers..cabins are only 100 sf, but they are new, comfy, have a shower, TV,etc..there are 22 dining options, amazing shows & entertainment, and an area called the "Waterfront" which is an outside promenade area on deck 8 where you can eat & sit OUTSIDE & drink and see the sea!! There are also Japanese Steakhouses ( Teppanyaki), Cagney's Steakhouse, Le Bistro ( French, fantastic!!), Moderno's ( Brazilian, yummy..) La Cucina ( Italian) , and over a dozen more choices, some free, some $$..the Oasis & Allure of the Seas are also AMAZING ships...yes, they are a bit more $$, but IMO, you get a lot more for your money...yes, $1400 is alot of money for air, but Europe is $$..the Epic is loaded with goodies, although I prefer the newer Breakaway ( NY) and the Getaway as I just mentioned..Epic also has most of the dining venues I mentioned, so try to eat in AT LEAST Teppanyaki's & Le Bistro -you will love them both...make sure you put an "alert" on your flights to Rome..that is, for example, on KAYAK, I set up an "alert" for flights to wherever I want and you can ask for daily ( recommended) or weekly alerts on the price of airfare from Des Moines to Rome..then you'll always have an alert on fares..any more info needed, let me know- I'm sooo glad you listened and now you can say, Thanks, cruise ship balcony!

Big Al

Good Morning, Thank You again for all the great info. Going to grab another cup of coffee & start exploring the ships you mentioned:p. I am also going to take your advise on posting an alert on Kayak for airfare to Rome..I have never been out of the states and I guess never expected such high cost for airfare ...but live & learn. Is it really worth the cost ?:confused: Thanks again..Enjoy your Sunday..

Good Morning, Thank You again for all the great info. Going to grab another cup of coffee & start exploring the ships you mentioned:p. I am also going to take your advise on posting an alert on Kayak for airfare to Rome..I have never been out of the states and I guess never expected such high cost for airfare ...but live & learn. Is it really worth the cost ?:confused: Thanks again..Enjoy your Sunday..

You may want to cruise the Caribbean on various cruise lines & ships..Europe is a lot more $$ because of airfare AND the cruises themselves are more...same with Alaska ( air & cruise more $$)...I would suggest Eastern Caribb ( St. Thomas, St. Maarten) for beaches & great bargains ( shopping -cheap liquor, jewelry), Western Caribb for diving/ snorkel ( Cozumel, Belize Grand Cayman), Mayan ruins ( Cozumel, Belize) , Southern Caribb is good, BUT you usually must fly to San Juan to do those islands UNLESS you take an 8 or 9 day cruise from Florida...RCI has a great deal now with buy the first passenger and get 50% off 2nd passenger..now thru May 31- great chance to try the Freedom Of The Seas, Oasis or Allure of The Seas ( now thru April 30,2015)...Navigator Of The Seas will be doing 6 & 8 nighters from Port Everglades starting in Nov..good ship...any more info needed, give a shout...BTW, Europe is wonderful, BUT you must be able to swing the airfare or not go in high season ( June- Sept) to get better deals..there are a few 5-7 nighters from Barcelona, which are worth checking on RCI & NCL...

Big Al

You may want to cruise the Caribbean on various cruise lines & ships..Europe is a lot more $$ because of airfare AND the cruises themselves are more...same with Alaska ( air & cruise more $$)...I would suggest Eastern Caribb ( St. Thomas, St. Maarten) for beaches & great bargains ( shopping -cheap liquor, jewelry), Western Caribb for diving/ snorkel ( Cozumel, Belize Grand Cayman), Mayan ruins ( Cozumel, Belize) , Southern Caribb is good, BUT you usually must fly to San Juan to do those islands UNLESS you take an 8 or 9 day cruise from Florida...RCI has a great deal now with buy the first passenger and get 50% off 2nd passenger..now thru May 31- great chance to try the Freedom Of The Seas, Oasis or Allure of The Seas ( now thru April 30,2015)...Navigator Of The Seas will be doing 6 & 8 nighters from Port Everglades starting in Nov..good ship...any more info needed, give a shout...BTW, Europe is wonderful, BUT you must be able to swing the airfare or not go in high season ( June- Sept) to get better deals..there are a few 5-7 nighters from Barcelona, which are worth checking on RCI & NCL...

Big Al

Thank you once again for the words of wisdom:) I was talking yesterday at work to me friend and explained that I think the cruise to Europe might be a tad to expensive for me this year. I also said I would rather take a cruise to Eastern Carib first..Perhaps I was just overly excited about my first vacation in 9yrs let alone my first cruise:D and jumped on the bandwagon for Europe..I will most certainly check out cruises to Southern Carib I checked the airfare to San Juan and it was around $400..weeee. I am sure Europe is nice but for now I need to hang on to my money & travel smarter..Europe will always be there..right? :confused: Thank you so much for replying to my post I truly enjoy your thoughts & wisdom......Have a Great Monday

• 4 weeks later...

I'm bumping up this thread bc I just spent the last 1 1\2 hour on a gorgeous Sunday morning reading about the benefits of a balcony cabin. I couldn't agree more with Big Al!

I booked a last-minute 6-day on the Breeze 2 days ago and got an unbelievable deal for a Lido deck balcony. This will be the first time staying on that high of a deck after 6 cruises on RCI, Disney and Carnival staying in all categories. We are celebrating my DD's HS graduation and DS' 15th bday. They are over the moon and we only have 3 weeks before sail off. I'm still trying to figure out how I got so blessed to find that kind of balcony at such a steal.

I wasn't ever sold on Carnival until I sailed on the Dream last year. The Breeze is a newer sister ship and is highly rated so I'm looking forward to trying out the line again. I don't think I'd ever sail on any of their older ships with all of the gaudy decor and cheesy rituals. Not my thing. But these newer ships really remind me of RCI's older lines with the soft, muted colors and open air common areas. And they have Guy's burgers for FREE unlike Johnny Rockets on RCI.

That said, I do want to try out Oasis or Allure in the next few years. I know my son will absolutely love that ship and all of those activities. Maybe for his 2017 graduation!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by trixiegal

I'm bumping up this thread bc I just spent the last 1 1\2 hour on a gorgeous Sunday morning reading about the benefits of a balcony cabin. I couldn't agree more with Big Al!

I booked a last-minute 6-day on the Breeze 2 days ago and got an unbelievable deal for a Lido deck balcony. This will be the first time staying on that high of a deck after 6 cruises on RCI, Disney and Carnival staying in all categories. We are celebrating my DD's HS graduation and DS' 15th bday. They are over the moon and we only have 3 weeks before sail off. I'm still trying to figure out how I got so blessed to find that kind of balcony at such a steal.

I wasn't ever sold on Carnival until I sailed on the Dream last year. The Breeze is a newer sister ship and is highly rated so I'm looking forward to trying out the line again. I don't think I'd ever sail on any of their older ships with all of the gaudy decor and cheesy rituals. Not my thing. But these newer ships really remind me of RCI's older lines with the soft, muted colors and open air common areas. And they have Guy's burgers for FREE unlike Johnny Rockets on RCI.

That said, I do want to try out Oasis or Allure in the next few years. I know my son will absolutely love that ship and all of those activities. Maybe for his 2017 graduation!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Trixiegal- Congrats on that great deal!!! I bet your kids will LOVE the balcony and the Breeze...you are right about the newer CCL ships being much nicer than the old, neonie & glitzy ships...a bit too much for me...The Oasis/ Allure ARE amazing ships and your kids would LOVE the Flowriders, zip-line, rock climbing walls, teen's place & video arcade, and a tip: try & book a cruise that goes to the private island of Labadee ,,they would LOVE all the water sports & HUGE Zip-line there..that means Western Caribb route, not Eastern... remember what I said in my intitial post about things to do in your balcony cabin- like breakfast on your balcony on a SEA day , going out there on a moonlit night, sunsets, etc...write them down or print it out & take with you...any more questions, give a holler....3 weeks will be here soon!

Big Al

Trixiegal- Congrats on that great deal!!! I bet your kids will LOVE the balcony and the Breeze...you are right about the newer CCL ships being much nicer than the old, neonie & glitzy ships...a bit too much for me...The Oasis/ Allure ARE amazing ships and your kids would LOVE the Flowriders, zip-line, rock climbing walls, teen's place & video arcade, and a tip: try & book a cruise that goes to the private island of Labadee ,,they would LOVE all the water sports & HUGE Zip-line there..that means Western Caribb route, not Eastern... remember what I said in my intitial post about things to do in your balcony cabin- like breakfast on your balcony on a SEA day , going out there on a moonlit night, sunsets, etc...write them down or print it out & take with you...any more questions, give a holler....3 weeks will be here soon!

Big Al

Thanks, Big Al. All of your fantastic suggestions are duly noted.

We've been to Labadee on the Explorer 7 years ago and I didn't like it. :(

I do want to try the other itineraries, maybe Southern or Eastern without Haiti. I just need to take the time to look on the RCCL website.

I do want to try the other itineraries, maybe Southern or Eastern without Haiti. I just need to take the time to look on the RCCL website.

I didn't like Labadee, either. Be careful, the cheerleaders will try to crucify you for saying that.

I didn't like Labadee, either. Be careful, the cheerleaders will try to crucify you for saying that.

Guys- It's OK if you didn't or don't like Labadee...It's just MHO..I prefer Disney's Castaway Cay by far with HAL's Half Moon Cay not far behind...no other PI comes close, IMHO to those 2..Labadee has improved & changed a lot since the Oasis ships came in 2009- A LOT...they now dock , no tender...they have an amazing zip-line 300 ft up on the side of a mountain that goes over the whole beach...Dragon's Breath area ( I hope you heard the Dragon breathe, very cool & mysterious!).. also nice...NO one can bother me on these boards...I once wrote a review of my HAL cruise on the Westerdam in 2005 and stated that I thought the CD was terrible- pretty girl, yes, and all the men liked her, but she had the personality of a carrot . ..food was so mediocre IMO, and the entertainment was terminal..we were 53 & 51 on that cruise, hardly kids but we were 25 years younger than the average passenger..I joked that the average age was death, and that I had never seen Metamucil on draft before..I am a jokester....BUT I also said the cabin was marvelous ( Top 5 of our 29 cruises so far), I loved the adult Aft pool & Crown's Nest lounge on top deck, which had an oldies band playing live, etc...I got BASHED by the HAL cheerleaders AT FIRST regarding the CD..I stood my ground about that as well as the food & shows..slowly but surely, many started agreeing with me , and soon, the tide turned in my favor..hey I was just stating what I observed & felt...BTW, I still rank Labadee in front of Princess Cays, Great Stirrup Cay ( NCL) and Coco Cay ( RCI), mostly because it's bigger & has more to offer...food, service, & to some degree entertainment are all subjective, food being the most...BTW, my wife & I waited 45 minutes for our salad in the Pinnacle Grill, the $$ venue on HAL ships..FORTY-FIVE minutes!! I thought that was ALOT of time to wait for your first dish, don't you? It was 70 minutes before we got our entrees...very long...funny- when I wrote about that, NONE of the HAL kronies said a word- not a thing....BTW, my wife said the food was nothing great, nor the service, certainly not better than any other cruise line...we sailed on HAL because we had heard about the HAL loyalists claiming how great HAL was..I obviously had a different experience on that...different strokes for different folks...

Big Al

Guys- It's OK if you didn't or don't like Labadee...It's just MHO..I prefer Disney's Castaway Cay by far with HAL's Half Moon Cay not far behind...no other PI comes close, IMHO to those 2..Labadee has improved & changed a lot since the Oasis ships came in 2009- A LOT...they now dock , no tender...they have an amazing zip-line 300 ft up on the side of a mountain that goes over the whole beach...Dragon's Breath area ( I hope you heard the Dragon breathe, very cool & mysterious!).. also nice...NO one can bother me on these boards...I once wrote a review of my HAL cruise on the Westerdam in 2005 and stated that I thought the CD was terrible- pretty girl, yes, and all the men liked her, but she had the personality of a carrot . ..food was so mediocre IMO, and the entertainment was terminal..we were 53 & 51 on that cruise, hardly kids but we were 25 years younger than the average passenger..I joked that the average age was death, and that I had never seen Metamucil on draft before..I am a jokester....BUT I also said the cabin was marvelous ( Top 5 of our 29 cruises so far), I loved the adult Aft pool & Crown's Nest lounge on top deck, which had an oldies band playing live, etc...I got BASHED by the HAL cheerleaders AT FIRST regarding the CD..I stood my ground about that as well as the food & shows..slowly but surely, many started agreeing with me , and soon, the tide turned in my favor..hey I was just stating what I observed & felt...BTW, I still rank Labadee in front of Princess Cays, Great Stirrup Cay ( NCL) and Coco Cay ( RCI), mostly because it's bigger & has more to offer...food, service, & to some degree entertainment are all subjective, food being the most...BTW, my wife & I waited 45 minutes for our salad in the Pinnacle Grill, the $$ venue on HAL ships..FORTY-FIVE minutes!! I thought that was ALOT of time to wait for your first dish, don't you? It was 70 minutes before we got our entrees...very long...funny- when I wrote about that, NONE of the HAL kronies said a word- not a thing....BTW, my wife said the food was nothing great, nor the service, certainly not better than any other cruise line...we sailed on HAL because we had heard about the HAL loyalists claiming how great HAL was..I obviously had a different experience on that...different strokes for different folks...

Big Al

I think I would have gotten up and walked out if I was waiting 45 minutes for a salad. I would have had sharp words with the restaurant manager on my way.

Even better than Castaway Cay is Motu Mahana, Paul Gauguins private island. One of the highlights of that cruise for sure.

I think I would have gotten up and walked out if I was waiting 45 minutes for a salad. I would have had sharp words with the restaurant manager on my way.

Even better than Castaway Cay is Motu Mahana, Paul Gauguins private island. One of the highlights of that cruise for sure.

Aaahh, yes, I've read & heard about Motu Mahana...must be gorgeous...have you been to Half Moon Cay? It is smaller than most, but water is crystal clear and sand soft & warm..it's mostly HAL, but Carnival sometimes goes there...BTW, I did have some "critique" for the venue manager & he gave us another night free in the Pinnacle Grill..this time we got salads in 10 minutes..that's more like it...

Aaahh, yes, I've read & heard about Motu Mahana...must be gorgeous...have you been to Half Moon Cay? It is smaller than most, but water is crystal clear and sand soft & warm..it's mostly HAL, but Carnival sometimes goes there...BTW, I did have some "critique" for the venue manager & he gave us another night free in the Pinnacle Grill..this time we got salads in 10 minutes..that's more like it...

Good to hear he was responsive. Haven't been to Halfmoon Cay. We have determined that we prefer the small (500 pax and under) ships, so doubt we ever will.

When we ( DW & I ) took our first 3 of our 29 cruises so far, on the Carnival Sensation ( ’95) , the RCI Majesty Of The Seas ( ’96 ) and Carnival Paradise ( ’98) , there literally were almost NO balconies on cruise ships yet except for the very rich. They were called “suites”. I called them “cabins of the Gods”…And, like many, I was…cheap..there, I said it!! CHEAP..not “thrifty” or “careful with my money”…CHEAP..a cabin is just for sleeping, right? That was what I thought..more on that later...our Carnival cabins on both cruises were outside window cabins, about 185 square feet . But our inside cabin on the Majesty was a puny 122 sq ft- wow, that was tight! In fact, so tight, that I knocked my tiny wife ( 4’11” & 102 lbs.) down no less than 6 times during our cruise as we were trying to walk about inside our mole-like cabin!! I am 100 pounds heavier than her, and 10 inches taller…she didn’t have a chance. We realized that while we were going to get ready for dinner, or to go out, one person must be in the bathroom ( yeah, that was enormous ,too, LOL..) , while the other person got ready/ dressed. We had a great time on all 3 cruises, but I can tell you one thing: we never looked forward to going back to our cabins like we do now…even the Carnival window cabins had small portholes that you had to climb up on a ledge over the bed to see out- not easy nor fun for 40 somethings already…

Then in 1999 we were invited to preview the brand new Princess ship, the Grand Princess. At 109,000 tons she was, at that time, the biggest, newest, most innovative cruise ship in the world ( Carnival Destiny was the first ship to surpass 100,000 tons in ’96) . Princess gave us Carte Blanche to tour the ship on our own. She was lovely, and soooo much bigger than the 70,000- 73,000 ton ships we had been on before. But the real eye-opener was when we toured the cabins and saw our first balcony cabin …WOW!!!! It was a beautiful sunset evening in Fort Lauderdale and as my wife & I went out on our first balcony ever, we were breathless! “Oh my God”, said my wife, “look at this view..it’s so amazing!!” . There was one thing we both noticed immediately: we FELT the water! We FELT the salt air. We FELT the wind. Our 5th wedding anniversary was coming up in 6 months ( May 2000 ) , and my wife said, “why don’t we book a balcony for our anniversary and see if we like it?”. We did, we loved it, and now, sadly for my VISA/ Master Charge or AMEX, we are hooked on balconies for life. Thanks, cruise ship balcony! And here is why:

The Connection

A balcony cabin can make you feel connected to the sea and makes you feel like you’re on a cruise!! Would you book a hotel room without a window? What’s the point of being on a ship if you can’t see the ocean passing your stateroom? Having a balcony completely changes the type of cruise you will have. Water is very therapeutic, and sitting out in the open air and reflecting is a great way to start or wind down the day. I am almost in a trance while out there, especially on those gorgeous days at sea on the Caribbean or Mediterrean. It is mesmorizing, isn’t it? Sure, the mountains, hiking, nature walks, even the Grand Canyon are great, but to me, nothing comes close to sitting on a lounge chair on my balcony and watching the waves & white caps, and seeing the birds swoop down and get a fish, or seeing dolphins swim along side the ship right below you, while the cool sea breezes caress your face & body with that soothing salt air….Wow, what a rush!! I am out there NO less than 5-6 times a day, even if for only a minute, to be part of the sea experience. Thanks, cruise ship balcony!

Convenience & Privacy

We all know that sail away parties can be a blast, and for me, it signifies the start of my cruise vacation. But sometimes to jockey for space ( like we tried to do on a recent cruise on the Allure Of The Seas) on the top deck with thousands of other people, is difficult. Doing it from your own balcony just makes more sense. Another great time to appreciate a balcony is on a sea day. I love sea days because they truly are for relaxing. Like most passengers, we go to the pool deck, be it the adult pool area, or if they don’t have one, the main pool area. We get there usually by 9 or 10 AM to get chairs in a decent location. Like others, we enjoy being at sea, reading, listening to my IPOD, checking out the people, listening to the Caribbean band ( one of my fav things to do- to me, the reggae band is part of the cruise experience!) , having a tropical drink or adult beverage, etc. Lunch, then more fun in the sun. The sun can really take a lot out of you, and after 5 or 6 hours in the heat, we usually head back to our cabin to detox a bit. I can tell you this: I was NEVER in a hurry to get back to our “broom closet” inside cabin because there was nothing to see or feel in there. But now, when I walk to open my cabin door, I can’t wait to get in there and check out what’s happening at sea!!! Sometimes there were other cruise ships out there and I would take my binocs ( standard for balcony use for me!) and check out what ship it was. Or maybe you were passing a beautiful island…maybe the white caps have picked up a bit…but getting back to opening the door to our cabin, it’s so nice after 5-6 hours of hearing sometimes thousands or even just hundreds of people having fun on the pool deck, the band, the NOISE, etc…then you walk into your cabin, and the calmness and quiet hits you- it’s so tranquil..and then you walk out onto your balcony and just hear the waves, the ocean breezes , feel the warm salt air….aaaahhh…finally, if you’re a couple, nightime brings another dimension…many leave the balcony doors open to hear, smell & feel the sea at night…the rest you can use your imagination, I’m sure!!! A cabin as you can see, or imagine, is not just for sleeping & showering…if you have a non-balcony cabin, look what you’re missing!! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!

Open Air Dining

Open air dining? Yes, please! Sure, you can go upstairs and dine with all the others, sometimes 1000-2000 people, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But sometimes you just want to breakaway from the crowds, order room service ( which is included in your cruise fare ) , and enjoy breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and even a late night snack on a private table for two . With 24 hour room service, any meal can be enjoyed on your balcony. You don’t even have to order room service. You can go to the main dining room, or your favorite specialty venue and take the meal to go..food, wine or your favorite beverage, the sun, or moonlight, alone, or with company, just you & the sea..magical!! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

The Weather and unexpected wonders

It’s always nice to know what the weather is like before you head out for the day.When my wife & I had our inside cabin, I ordered room service ( pretty boring in a dark 122 Sq ft cabin), ate, then got into our swimming outfits to go to the pool deck on our first sea day..we emerged from our mole-like cabin and discovered that NO, we were not going to sun bathe that day as the sun deck had turned into a rain deck. We were the only idiots standing at the doors of the pool deck ready for nothing…

Another thing that you miss out on if you don’t have a balcony- a thunderstorm. As long as you are not on some small boat or vessel, a thunderstorm at sea is one of the most awe inspiring things I’ve ever seen. And I was able to experience it because of one thing- my balcony. It is really an amazing sight to see the dark clouds form in the horizon, and the lightening, not to mention the waves rising ( not too high, don’t worry!)…it almost looks like the clouds are bending down to meet the sea..it is powerful, beautiful, and sometimes frightening, but very, very cool! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Conclusion

Balconies are like cruising- they’re addictive… the late Robert Palmer said it so well in his 1986 song, “Addicted To Love”…I would change the words & title and say, “no doubt about it you’re addicted to balconies”….there is one thing balconies are not good for, my wife tells me- your hair. But I think most would trade a good hair day for a relaxing day at sea on your balcony. But still, ladies, trust what my wife says, leave the curling iron at home, LOL…

And finally, if you find yourself thinking about booking your first balcony on a cruise, you might hear this from the Gods Of Verandahs whispering a line similar to a line in the movie, Field Of Dreams..” If you book it, you will love it”…Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Big Al

“Won’t You Let Me Take You On A Sea Cruise”

Our first cruise was an inside with bunk beds. Our first balcony was also on the Grand. Now we often book suites. You are in for a treat when you do that.

I posted a number of months ago about looking forward to my first ever balcony. Updating that the balcony more than met my expectations. Provided the weather was cooperative, I would spend some time every morning and evening on my balcony, looking at the sea, the sky, the stars, and anything else that might be out there. Some days I would stand for an hour just looking at the sea. Saw my first flying fish from my balcony. Many afternoons I would sit and read before dinner. I took a picture of the view of each port from my balcony. I even took a short video of the sea that I can watch on days that I miss being at sea (every day:o). I loved, loved, loved my balcony.

Yes for sure those old ships were tiny and once you book a balcony there is no going back. Sadly for my credit cards and bank account we tried a suite, now can't go back! Then one week wasn't enough so we started b2b cruises and now 7 days is way too short. I am getting to where I may as well buy my own ship! But you know, if you work hard then why not enjoy! We love cruising and we love balconies for all the eloquent reasons stated above. And so comes the wish of Bon Voyage no matter your choice of ship, cabin or length of cruise.....it is always agood voyage!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

I posted a number of months ago about looking forward to my first ever balcony. Updating that the balcony more than met my expectations. Provided the weather was cooperative, I would spend some time every morning and evening on my balcony, looking at the sea, the sky, the stars, and anything else that might be out there. Some days I would stand for an hour just looking at the sea. Saw my first flying fish from my balcony. Many afternoons I would sit and read before dinner. I took a picture of the view of each port from my balcony. I even took a short video of the sea that I can watch on days that I miss being at sea (every day:o). I loved, loved, loved my balcony.

Good girl/ guy!!! Am I right or what? Isn't a balcony kinda like your own little pice of sea heaven out there on that 35-65 SF ft. balcony? You did what I love to do...look at the stars, moonlight,the waves, fish, etc...simply MESMORIZING!! NOW, start thinking about different KINDS of balconies- afts, corner afts ( really cool..) , on the "bump" or "hump" balconies, etc...they all have a different view & perspective, especially any aft balconies..glad you loved your balcony!!

Yes for sure those old ships were tiny and once you book a balcony there is no going back. Sadly for my credit cards and bank account we tried a suite, now can't go back! Then one week wasn't enough so we started b2b cruises and now 7 days is way too short. I am getting to where I may as well buy my own ship! But you know, if you work hard then why not enjoy! We love cruising and we love balconies for all the eloquent reasons stated above. And so comes the wish of Bon Voyage no matter your choice of ship, cabin or length of cruise.....it is always agood voyage!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

ALWAYS good voyage!!! A suite is soooooo nice, isn't it? I've only had Jr Suites on RCI, and a mini-suite on Princess, but I would LOVE a bigger suite just ONCE with a huge balcony....and you are right- life is short & you only live once, so if you can swing it, why not???

Big Al

ALWAYS good voyage!!! A suite is soooooo nice, isn't it? I've only had Jr Suites on RCI, and a mini-suite on Princess, but I would LOVE a bigger suite just ONCE with a huge balcony....and you are right- life is short & you only live once, so if you can swing it, why not???

Big Al

I hear what you're both saying and of course you're both absolutely right ...

We had an opportunity to upgrade to a family suite one year (545 Sq ft) at a reasonable rate , it was wonderful and big , and since then , we are spoiled as now a balcony feels so small ...

As a special treat , we decided to book the penthouse on our Ruby cruise this year , but from the pics , it doesn't really look all that good , so we will have to wait and see ... I figure it must be better than the photos , fingers crossed . . .

Josie and Joan