Thanks, cruise ship balcony!! A commentary..

big al

Big Al - I have once before written to say how much I believe in your writings on the many advantages of a balcony. I agree that it is not the only way to sail, yet let me explain my position: I worked in underground missile control centers for three years; in command centers in the US and overseas for another 4+ years, all with no windows, no fresh air, no sunshine, and always with only one way in and out! At one assignment, we all ran outside during lunch breaks to look at the sun and "drink" in fresh air (because the sun came up after we went to work and was down before we got off work!). So far we have never sailed without a balcony; really wish we could - it would mean many more cruises on mainstream lines as well as some much smaller ships sailing into unique countries and harbors.

Yet it is a decision we make together - for our enjoyment! It is a choice. To all cruisers, no matter what type of cabins one choses for what ever reasons - may the seas be calm and the sunsets fabulous!

Thanks for your opinion & always enjoy your balcony!

One of my greatest pleasures is having my morning coffee on the balcony. After our first balcony cabin, I am totally spoiled.

I have always LOVED coffee & breakfast on the balcony, too..Thanks for the imput!

One of my greatest pleasures is having my morning coffee on the balcony. After our first balcony cabin, I am totally spoiled.

I have always LOVED coffee & breakfast on the balcony, too..Thanks for the input!

13 comments attacking other posters.. I call that Rude! I have reported your endless attacks as I am sure others have as well.

I have not read any offensive statements from Big Al..YOU have been classless & tasteless in your words..NOT ONCE has he called any of you names or called you "snobs" or "disrespectful", but you ignore all those ( now you can read their posts!) who have been kind & complimentary..he is right about one thing...and cruisegal777 said it..this is a PRO BALCONY thread, why can't you say something nice & positive about anything...all he wanted to do was to post HIS opinion, experiences & ideas about balconies...if you don't agree with Big Al, fine, get off this thread!:confused:

Am, it is VERY clear that you haven't actually read what are saying. NOBODY is arguing that there is anything wrong with staying the pluses to a balcony cabin.

You CROSSED THE LINE when telling someone with CANCER who prefers (I am sure on doctors orders as well) to minimize their sun exposure that oh, no, they too simply MUST experience a balcony as well. Insisting they wouldn't get much sun... When a cruise ship is surrounded by water which reflects light in all direction even into the shaded balconies. You ADAMANTLY insisted you knew better than them.

THAT is the problem. That is not the only example but is the mos egregious. We haven't said anything to the countless other posters you quoted because there wasn't anything wrong with what they said or how they said it. Which is where you are completely 100% missing the point.

~Katy

I have not read any offensive statements from Big Al..YOU have been classless & tasteless in your words..NOT ONCE has he called any of you names or called you "snobs" or "disrespectful", but you ignore all those ( now you can read their posts!) who have been kind & complimentary..he is right about one thing...and cruisegal777 said it..this is a PRO BALCONY thread, why can't you say something nice & positive about anything...all he wanted to do was to post HIS opinion, experiences & ideas about balconies...if you don't agree with Big Al, fine, get off this thread!:confused:

Not once? You must have missed the posts where he insinuated that those who sail in insides are poor, cheap, everything but ya know, making an informed decision about what they *prefer* on a cruise ship. He didn't call us directly names, but the ENTIRE POPULATION that books inside cabins. Which is even worse.

~Katy

I'm coming into this little feud late but let me just say that in reading most of Big Al's commentary it is just that. We are not here to agree or to disagree but in some way to maybe help someone who has never cruised before on making that decision as to book an inside cabin or a Balcony cabin. When I first started cruising some 17 cruises ago I had no idea as to what cabin and where I just look for a cabin on the Navigator of the Seas. My cruise agent was very helpful in providing me with some direction and comparison and than it was up to me and my wife for making that decision. It sounds like Big Al is just trying to do the same and help those new to cruising and in reading his comments I saw nothing negative but certainly and possibly very helpful to some.

I don't know but what do you call 16 posts in about 24 hours that simply bash other CC members....

I call that poster a Bully!!! Does not matter what good he started out doing, he ended up ridiculing and bullying other posters.

Just review ... As he quotes and ridicules!

I'm coming into this little feud late but let me just say that in reading most of Big Al's commentary it is just that. We are not here to agree or to disagree but in some way to maybe help someone who has never cruised before on making that decision as to book an inside cabin or a Balcony cabin. When I first started cruising some 17 cruises ago I had no idea as to what cabin and where I just look for a cabin on the Navigator of the Seas. My cruise agent was very helpful in providing me with some direction and comparison and than it was up to me and my wife for making that decision. It sounds like Big Al is just trying to do the same and help those new to cruising and in reading his comments I saw nothing negative but certainly and possibly very helpful to some.

Thank you, Heeb..I hope you didn't find my posts offensive...

If people don't like how Big Al posts on this thread, then why keep reading and posting :confused:. If a post is reported as offensive, it is up to the mods to determine and pull it. I am going to start reporting those who are trying to de-rail this thread and have nothing positive to contribute!

I do not want this thread closed due to those few complainers. :mad:

Big Al, keep posting your positiveness. And others too, post your balcony experience. It was my co-worker who stated that she would never sail in an inside even if it was free (!!) that pushed me to try a balcony. At that time I was happy with an oceanview cabin. I don't agree with her that I wouldn't sail for free, lol but her strong opinion did influence me to try one and opened up a new experience in cruising.

And as a previous poster said, no matter what cabin you are in .... smooth sailing :)!

I don't know but what do you call 16 posts in about 24 hours that simply bash other CC members....

I call that poster a Bully!!! Does not matter what good he started out doing, he ended up ridiculing and bullying other posters.

Just review ... As he quotes and ridicules!

You certainly have a big mouth,JVillegal..why don't you post all those 16 posts that Big Al seems to be bashing? Are you talking about posts # 308-315 & #317? Those posts are from GRATEFUL people who were appreciative...You have contributed JACK to this thread..despite some rantings from yourself & others, your harassment is childish, bullyish, and if you don't like Big Al's posts, then get lost...there are thousands of other threads here you can harass..BTW, as I mentioned once before, I AM POOR- not "less fortunate", not "money challenged", not "low income", but POOR..but my husband & I experienced our first balcony thanks to Big Al, and certainly NO thanks to the few bashers on here..it took us a year to save extra $$ to go, but it was well worth it for us..Big Al helped us at the M & M meeting we met him at ( BTW, he put it all together himself ) , and answered dozens of questions about different cruise lines, different ports of call, different ships, different cabin types with pluses & minuses of all- his knowledge was amazing..OH, and BTW, he didn't BASH anyone who was staying in inside cabins, nor told those who had $$ suites they were wasting their money..

Finally, when RCI told him they would not support the M & M on the Liberty Of The Seas because it was a 5 night cruise & RCI only supports 7+ nights, Big Al arranged everything himself by contacting CC & including Adam Goldstein, CEO, and YES, he does know him- he showed us e-mails & texts along with Mr . Goldstein's cell #..Big Al spent his own $$ paying for coffee & pastries so that we would have something at the meeting ( RCI said no to all)..then he introduced himself at our M & M meeting of 33 people and that's when my husband Carlos & I met him & he gave us tips on soooo much on cruising-at the end of the meeting, we gave him a standing O for coordinating everything by himself..he was NOT a bully, elitist, a snob, rude ( like others) , aggressive, angry, nor accusatory ..in fact, he was the complete opposite - funny ( very), kind, open to any questions/ comments, and his passion for cruising is unmatched by anyone we had ever met...so, yes, I'm a big Big Al fan because he helped my husband & I & lots of others..I still don't see you help Jack...

I will be looking forward to your posts & examples...we are growing tired of your foolishness...:confused:

Teresa ( the "Poor" gal from FLA)

If people don't like how Big Al posts on this thread, then why keep reading and posting :confused:. If a post is reported as offensive, it is up to the mods to determine and pull it. I am going to start reporting those who are trying to de-rail this thread and have nothing positive to contribute!

I do not want this thread closed due to those few complainers. :mad:

Big Al, keep posting your positiveness. And others too, post your balcony experience. It was my co-worker who stated that she would never sail in an inside even if it was free (!!) that pushed me to try a balcony. At that time I was happy with an oceanview cabin. I don't agree with her that I wouldn't sail for free, lol but her strong opinion did influence me to try one and opened up a new experience in cruising.

And as a previous poster said, no matter what cabin you are in .... smooth sailing :)!

Thank you Cruisingirl777!! It seems others don't want me to post, but just for you & a few hundred others, of course I will keep posting..good idea about reporting the posters who are obnoxious & offensive..I'm glad I have you & CruisinDiaz to kick some butt...do you have another cruise planned for this year, & if so, where, when & what ship, etc..? Thanks again for your kind words, Oh Canada!...

Happy Cruising,

Big Al

Thank Big Al, you sound like a great travel agent. I might have been one in another life because I love travel and I love the fine details of organizing trips. I enjoy when an agent gives their opinion, whether I agree or not, then it is up to me to decide what will work best. Growing up, my family had the same agent for years and years and he spent so much time with us when booking and making sure to give us all the options. This was before the days of the internet, and we would listen to last minute deals that were recorded daily and we had the phone on speaker while the person listed them all. Then we would go into the office and sit with him. Now I am more likely to book on my own via the internet for regular trips because I have been so well informed over the years.

But for a bigger trip I would not hesitate to use a good travel agent. The only negative experience I had was when I contacted an agent I had used before at a big name agency in town. Her manager let me know that she was no longer there and passed me on to someone else. I told the agent that Princess was having a 1-day flash sale and I wanted to book an O/V cabin (that is what I booked at that time). It was about 10am and I was at work but gave her the details. She emailed me at 9pm and said that she would book me the next day. The sale was over the next day and she ended up booking an inside. I was soooo mad. She promised onboard credit but we never saw it when we got onboard.

Did we still manage to have a good cruise in an inside cabin …. yes, we survived, but on our next cruise I was determined to have a balcony. After that I never looked back. I will never say “never” because I have done most of them, ;) but this is how we enjoy cruising the most and with all the other areas that I can save (booking flights, bidding for hotels, purchased ultra light suitcases etc.), I will try to always make sure that we have that private outdoor space to really enjoy the water.

No cruise planned yet for this year but we took 3 last year. Which is great considering how far we are from ports. I am looking at a few options though. We luv cruisin' :D

Thank Big Al, you sound like a great travel agent. I might have been one in another life because I love travel and I love the fine details of organizing trips. I enjoy when an agent gives their opinion, whether I agree or not, then it is up to me to decide what will work best. Growing up, my family had the same agent for years and years and he spent so much time with us when booking and making sure to give us all the options. This was before the days of the internet, and we would listen to last minute deals that were recorded daily and we had the phone on speaker while the person listed them all. Then we would go into the office and sit with him. Now I am more likely to book on my own via the internet for regular trips because I have been so well informed over the years.

But for a bigger trip I would not hesitate to use a good travel agent. The only negative experience I had was when I contacted an agent I had used before at a big name agency in town. Her manager let me know that she was no longer there and passed me on to someone else. I told the agent that Princess was having a 1-day flash sale and I wanted to book an O/V cabin (that is what I booked at that time). It was about 10am and I was at work but gave her the details. She emailed me at 9pm and said that she would book me the next day. The sale was over the next day and she ended up booking an inside. I was soooo mad. She promised onboard credit but we never saw it when we got onboard.

Did we still manage to have a good cruise in an inside cabin …. yes, we survived, but on our next cruise I was determined to have a balcony. After that I never looked back. I will never say “never” because I have done most of them, ;) but this is how we enjoy cruising the most and with all the other areas that I can save (booking flights, bidding for hotels, purchased ultra light suitcases etc.), I will try to always make sure that we have that private outdoor space to really enjoy the water.

No cruise planned yet for this year but we took 3 last year. Which is great considering how far we are from ports. I am looking at a few options though. We luv cruisin' :D

Thank You and I try my best when helping others book a cruise, certainly living in Toronto means much more $$ for flying..have you considered cruising out of NY or in the Northeast? NCL has the Breakaway ( my friend has done twice & loved it both times!) , RCI Quantum, soon-to-be Anthem Of The Seas, and Celebrity usually has one as well..there also ships from Baltimore...BUT, 3 in one year is terrific! I know many like to sail out of Florida because the majority of the nicer ships sail out of Miami, PE & PC..big tip to save $$ , cruise when school is in session, NEVER when schools are on vacation, although you probably know that...let me know anytime if I can help & keep looking for a good agent, they can really help with special discounts like AAA, AARP, Military, past guest, residential ( where you live), on board credits ( sometimes cruise companies will give you a on board credit from THEIR co, but NOT the cruise line..) , etc..we have special discounts you cannot see.."group" discounts are given because a cruise line will "block" or reserve XX cabins on a particular sailing, guaranteeing the cruise line they will sell those cabins...I just did that for friends going on the NCL Getaway, got them $$ off their fare AND got them a OBC for their June cruise..just takes some know how & persistence ....Happy Cruising always!!

Big Al

I agree with you..probably 99% of the posters here have only done big ships..small ships have better food, service, more exotic ports, etc...BUT, small ships tend to be more $$, and remember, an average cruise per diem is about $ 75-175 PP per day for an inside to balcony cabin..smaller, more $$ ships can range up to $450-750 pp per day for a 7 nighter or longer type cruises..few can afford that..I priced a 7 night Crystal cruise for a friend & balcony for 2 was $10,000...most on CC think that anything past $4000 for 2 is a lot...Good points..Thanks for sharing!

Crystal is not a small ship cruise line. Wind Star and Ponant are, and both are about half of what Crystal would charge for a similar cabin. Some of Wind Star's seven day cruises are under $2K pp, and can go even lower when they have a sale.

I am a cruise agent for 18 years- I'm suppose to be "full of myself"..and again- noticed how NO ONE has called me that until lately..I am proud of my balcony thread & others like it as well..Adam Goldstein, CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises, has e-mailed me 12x & even called me 3x for my reviews & posts on RCI..Chris Allen V.P. of Cruise Itineraries at RCI, also has asked for my thoughts & opinions on ports of calls..I don't know much in this world..Birth Control ( rep for 23 years in Pharma), Diabetes, 60's rock music & trivia, Jack The Ripper, the Titanic & Amelia Earhart I know a lot about..and cruise ships & kinds of balconies & how to enjoy them..THAT's it...those subjects if you discuss with me you will find I'm pretty versed in them..so, yes, in those subject areas, I'm "full of myself", and TG for that...

I think it's ridiculous to post quotes from others. We can all read and are able to form our own opinions.

There are things I know a lot about as well. When they are completely irrelevant to the topic, I'm certainly not going to blather on about them.

Not once? You must have missed the posts where he insinuated that those who sail in insides are poor, cheap, everything but ya know, making an informed decision about what they *prefer* on a cruise ship. He didn't call us directly names, but the ENTIRE POPULATION that books inside cabins. Which is even worse.

~Katy

I have to agree with this. By the way, I laugh at his thinking I'm cheap for not springing for a balcony. I spent the same or more on my balcony-less cabin on a luxury ship that called on incredible small ports that big ships can't even dream of than he would spend for a week in a suite on a mainstream line. Somehow I think I got the better end of that bargain.

Thank You and I try my best when helping others book a cruise, certainly living in Toronto means much more $$ for flying..have you considered cruising out of NY or in the Northeast? NCL has the Breakaway ( my friend has done twice & loved it both times!) , RCI Quantum, soon-to-be Anthem Of The Seas, and Celebrity usually has one as well..there also ships from Baltimore...BUT, 3 in one year is terrific! I know many like to sail out of Florida because the majority of the nicer ships sail out of Miami, PE & PC..big tip to save $$ , cruise when school is in session, NEVER when schools are on vacation, although you probably know that...let me know anytime if I can help & keep looking for a good agent, they can really help with special discounts like AAA, AARP, Military, past guest, residential ( where you live), on board credits ( sometimes cruise companies will give you a on board credit from THEIR co, but NOT the cruise line..) , etc..we have special discounts you cannot see.."group" discounts are given because a cruise line will "block" or reserve XX cabins on a particular sailing, guaranteeing the cruise line they will sell those cabins...I just did that for friends going on the NCL Getaway, got them $$ off their fare AND got them a OBC for their June cruise..just takes some know how & persistence ....Happy Cruising always!!

Big Al

Yes I have sailed from Bayonne and NYC. And I know all about finding good deals ;). But will let you know if I need any help/advice. Thanks for your assistance in this thread!

Anyone have pictures of superior grand suites on quantum?

If you go on YouTube, put in "superior grand suites quantum of the seas", you will find 3-4 videos on it..one is only like 35 seconds long, but shows the category on a chart at the beginning...another is from suite #6234...good luck...

Big Al

Big Al - I have once before written to say how much I believe in your writings on the many advantages of a balcony. I agree that it is not the only way to sail, yet let me explain my position: I worked in underground missile control centers for three years; in command centers in the US and overseas for another 4+ years, all with no windows, no fresh air, no sunshine, and always with only one way in and out! At one assignment, we all ran outside during lunch breaks to look at the sun and "drink" in fresh air (because the sun came up after we went to work and was down before we got off work!). So far we have never sailed without a balcony; really wish we could - it would mean many more cruises on mainstream lines as well as some much smaller ships sailing into unique countries and harbors.

Yet it is a decision we make together - for our enjoyment! It is a choice. To all cruisers, no matter what type of cabins one choses for what ever reasons - may the seas be calm and the sunsets fabulous!

I know there are people who are happy with an inside cabin, some even prefer it for the darkness in order to sleep better. Others decide they aren't on the cruise to hang out in their room, so they like an inside just fine. Some really like the lower cost of an inside cabin, and that makes them happy to be frugal. It's good they get the cruising experience they prefer. I don't think of people who are more frugal than me as being "cheap," I think they just know very specifically what they want to spend and what they don't consider worth the extra dollars. To each their own, right?

My husband and I work late shifts, so we sleep most of the day in "real life." Our first cruise was in an OV cabin (we crave that sunlight!), then we tried a balcony. Loved it! We discovered it is something that does mean a lot to us when we are cruising, having that balcony with sunlight and fresh air in good weather. It really makes the vacation for us, hanging out on our balcony looking at the ocean, and people watching in port. We wish it didn't cost more for a balcony cabin but that's the reality. I guess we just accept that what we like will cost more than an inside or OV, but since it's part of what we love so much about cruising, it's worth it to us. We also enjoy specialty dining. Anyone who thinks that is extravagant and that the MDR dinners are "good enough" needs to remember that taste is subjective, and some people want something better than that standard. We cruise once per year, and we like what we like. Like I said to each their own, right?

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

I know there are people who are happy with an inside cabin, some even prefer it for the darkness in order to sleep better. Others decide they aren't on the cruise to hang out in their room, so they like an inside just fine. Some really like the lower cost of an inside cabin, and that makes them happy to be frugal. It's good they get the cruising experience they prefer. I don't think of people who are more frugal than me as being "cheap," I think they just know very specifically what they want to spend and what they don't consider worth the extra dollars. To each their own, right?

My husband and I work late shifts, so we sleep most of the day in "real life." Our first cruise was in an OV cabin (we crave that sunlight!), then we tried a balcony. Loved it! We discovered it is something that does mean a lot to us when we are cruising, having that balcony with sunlight and fresh air in good weather. It really makes the vacation for us, hanging out on our balcony looking at the ocean, and people watching in port. We wish it didn't cost more for a balcony cabin but that's the reality. I guess we just accept that what we like will cost more than an inside or OV, but since it's part of what we love so much about cruising, it's worth it to us. We also enjoy specialty dining. Anyone who thinks that is extravagant and that the MDR dinners are "good enough" needs to remember that taste is subjective, and some people want something better than that standard. We cruise once per year, and we like what we like. Like I said to each their own, right?

Lorie

Yes, people like to cruise or can afford different ways of cruising..I always think back to that couple from Scotland we met on a cruise who were doing a back to back East/ West Caribb cruise some years back..my DW & I became friendly with them, and upon learning they were in an inside cabin, the lady asked me if I like my balcony cabin & if I thought it was worth it...I invited them back to our cabin on a sunny sea day, and as soon as they entered our cabin ( it was a deluxe balcony, 279 SF & 75 SF balcony- very nice), the two immediately went, "OOOHHH my G-D, look how nice this is!"..the man, who's name was Colin ( slightly Scottish, lol) , said "bloody hell, your loo is bigger than our whole cabin!"..BUT, when I opened the doors to the balcony and they stepped out onto it, the lady ( Maggie) said, "oh, Colin, look at this view!!..Oh, it's marvelous!"..I had them sit down in one lounge chair, the other in the sit up chair and I said, "look at that water..feel the wind, look at those waves & white caps, smell the salt air, FEEL the sunshine".."imagine sitting out here at sunset sipping a beer or glass of wine & seeing the wonders of the sea EVERY morning, noon & night"...then, Maggie turned to her husband, Colin, and said, "you & your stupid inside cabin!!"..Colin looked at me & said, "our friends went on a cruise & said to get an inside cabin because you are never in your cabin..only to sleep, dress & shower, but after seeing this, I think I would spend more time out here enjoying this ( hands up pointing to the sea)"..I said, "of course nobody goes back to an inside cabin for the views or to experience the sea, that's why there are balconies, suites, windows, etc.." Then the big question: how much more did I pay for my balcony than he paid for his inside? When I told him what I paid, it turned out to be only $41 a day more ( $288) for a week in a balcony..Colin said, "that's not much, I can swing that!"..I always break things down for people..that's $5.85 pp per day for a balcony..FIVE DOLLARS per person per day!!..Fast forward, I suggested to them on the 2nd week of the trip to ask for a balcony upgrade, if available..amazingly, there were 3 balconies available, they upgraded to one, and sent us pictures later after they got back to Scotland..they have since cruised 4 times, all but once in a balcony, and that time, it was a small British ship that had only a few $$ suites on board, so they took a window..I am still in touch with them & book most of their US cruises still...

Thanks for your post & I agree about sleeping, BUT sometimes it works against you..once we were on the Majesty Of The Seas ( our only inside cabin) & we got up & put our bathing suits on & went right to the pool deck to get our loungers, and what do we find? It's pouring cats & dogs! We were the only idiots anywhere near the pool area,lol..at 119 SF, it was soooo tight in there..

Big Al