Thanks, cruise ship balcony!! A commentary..

big al

I hear what you're both saying and of course you're both absolutely right ...

We had an opportunity to upgrade to a family suite one year (545 Sq ft) at a reasonable rate , it was wonderful and big , and since then , we are spoiled as now a balcony feels so small ...

As a special treat , we decided to book the penthouse on our Ruby cruise this year , but from the pics , it doesn't really look all that good , so we will have to wait and see ... I figure it must be better than the photos , fingers crossed . . .

Josie and Joan

Penthouse suites on the Ruby are like between 460-777 SF..a tad smaller than most, but hey, still pretty good I would think...NCL used to have those 5500 SF garden villas with room for 8 and your own pool & hot tub...Celebrity's penthouse suites are 1291 SF + 389 SF balcony ( WOW!!) ON Solstice class ships...now THAT I could handle... a balcony twice the size of most cabins..

Big Al

I just got off a ship tour of the NCL Breakaway..very nice ship, BTW...they had a dinner for us, and at the dinner I sat next to another cruise agent and we were discussing various cruise lines & ships...she mentioned she just got off the Carnival Dream and it cost her only XXX dollars..I said, "wow a balcony for only $xxx??"...she goes, "oh no, we always get an inside cabin"...I said, "Not me, I'm not spending a week in a broom closet, and you miss all the great things that come with a balcony..the whole feeling CONNECTED to the sea, the ship, the sky, the salt air, the marine life, the weather, other cruise ships passing....not to mention your own private verandah where you can read, sip a drink, fall asleep to the mesmorizing sounds of the sea, or just gaze out at the waves & white caps.." Funny, everybody at the table ( about 10 of us) said, "yeah, that sounds great, but I'm only in my cabin to sleep & shower"..."that's cause you have a terrible cabin- I would DREAD going back to that , and I did when we had an inside on the Majesty once...but now when I book a balcony, I can't WAIT to open the door and walk outside onto my private haven of sun & sea wonders...do you that when you open the door to your inside cabin?"....DEAD SILENCE.......I say it again- a balcony completely changes your whole experience on your cruise..those of you who have done both an inside & a balcony, please share your thoughts on the difference.....

Big Al

I had a balcony on my first cruise, inside cabins on the rest. I agree with your comments, but choose to cruise more often vs. pay the extra. I agree you want to spend more time there if you have a balcony. But I would also argue there are so many things to do on the ship I never get to them all so I personally don't hugely miss the balcony.

I had a balcony on my first cruise, inside cabins on the rest. I agree with your comments, but choose to cruise more often vs. pay the extra. I agree you want to spend more time there if you have a balcony. But I would also argue there are so many things to do on the ship I never get to them all so I personally don't hugely miss the balcony.

Agree if $$ is the issue & you can only do insides to cruise more, fine...BUT, like I say, I want to be part of the cruise experience & FEEL like I'm on a cruise ship, not a cheap motel in Vegas, which is what I felt it was like in my tiny, dark, mole-like cabin..NOTHING to look forward to when you get in, is there? NO sanctuary in an inside cabin...no sun, salt air, wind, waves, ships passing by, islands in the distance, birds catching fish, dolphins swimming alongside the ship, no breakfast facing the serene seas & blue skies, truly no nothing except a bed & 4 walls....no thanks, I'll save up & pay extra for the few hundred bucks it costs more to be happy....but I DO understand your point!

Big Al

What a great post, Big Al! I am taking my two adult daughters on what will be my first cruise next weekend on RCL. We initially booked an interior room due to cost, but I recently upgraded to a Superior Oceanview Balcony. Your post made me so happy that I did! You bring up excellent points that I could not have considered as I have no point of comparison. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences with the rest of us!

What a great post, Big Al! I am taking my two adult daughters on what will be my first cruise next weekend on RCL. We initially booked an interior room due to cost, but I recently upgraded to a Superior Oceanview Balcony. Your post made me so happy that I did! You bring up excellent points that I could not have considered as I have no point of comparison. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences with the rest of us!

DJinWyo- You are MOST welcome!! I'm sooo glad you switched to a balcony cabin...since you have no way to compare, as you mentioned, the ONLY thing you can do, is when you are walking down the halls on your deck, going to or coming from your cabin, and you either see the cabin steward cleaning an inside cabin, or people standing there with their door open, take a peek and see what you dodged- you will be happy you have sunlight, salt air, waves to sea , a balcony to sit and enjoy the wonders of the sea I mentioned in my initial post..2 things: what ship are you going on? and also, make sure you either print my original post out and follow my suggestions on what to do on your FIRST cruise & first balcony, OR write down on a pad my suggestions...Tell me what ship you are on and I may be able to give you & your daughters some good tips.....

Big Al

Big Al,

I am taking my adult daughters on the Southern Caribbean route of the Jewel of the Seas. We were fortunate enough to get a Superior Oceanview Balcony on the 9th deck. One of my daughters has cruised several times. It is a first time experience for me and my other daughter. I have taken note of your suggestions for first time cruisers. Thank you for your insight and for such comprehensive posts to this site.

Big Al,

I am taking my adult daughters on the Southern Caribbean route of the Jewel of the Seas. We were fortunate enough to get a Superior Oceanview Balcony on the 9th deck. One of my daughters has cruised several times. It is a first time experience for me and my other daughter. I have taken note of your suggestions for first time cruisers. Thank you for your insight and for such comprehensive posts to this site.

Make sure you go the Schooner Bar ( deck 6) for trivia & singing the tunes with the piano guy..also for a special dining treat why don't you take your daughters to either Chops ( steakhouse..fantastic!) or Giavanni's Table ( Italian, both deck 6). Chops $30 pp and is all you can eat..sides are amazing and you can share..don't miss Crab Cakes & potatoes ..get a table for 3 BY THE WINDOW over-looking the sea- very cool!! You should reserve on the RCI website..I have eaten there 18-20x and each time terrific!...also, there is an adult pool area called the Solarium, which is adults only..very relaxing with no music ( that is found at the main pool) and a MUST is the Viking Crown Lounge on deck 13- nice music, great ambiance..Windjammer Cafe on deck 11 is the buffet area for breakfast..TIP: you may be able to get a sit down breakfast in the main dining room on deck 4..I like that because I can order eggs benedict, which is not available in the Windjammer...Safari Club on deck 6 also nice..Don't forget to order breakfast on your balcony..it's free, just tip the waiter $5 ( cash) to set up on the balcony..you can either fill out the order form in your room, or order in the morning ( night before better & quicker, you can choose the time..).BTW, sea days are best, but there's usually only 1 on Southern routes...anymore questions , let me know...

Alan

Herself and I just disembarked from Queen Mary 2 this morning in Southampton and are resting up to enjoy the next phase of our holiday (7 days in London! Whooo!). I had to weigh in on this thread, though. I am 100% SOLD on balconies! We had Cabin 6238, a sheltered balcony, and it was just marvelous being able to stretch, get up and stroll out onto the balcony to have breakfast! About the only way I can think that this could be improved on would be to have an open, non-obstructed balcony. We will both be sailing again for pleasure (as my .sig shows, I also go to sea for a living :) ) and a sheltered balcony I am convinced is the absolute bare minimum for civilized cruising.

Balconies or bust, say I! :D

My husbands first cruise we had booked an inside on the HAL Veendam to Bermuda and were surprised when they upgraded us to an Oceanview. We thought that was nice.

A few months later we went on the Carnival Dream (maybe a year after it was built) and had a Cove Balcony (loved it!), then a few months after that we went on the NCL Jade and did a balcony as well. We have had balconies ever since. We will never go back!;)

Our fondest memories are in the Western Carib. watching the late people run to get to the ship before it left port; in the Eastern Med, being on the balcony coming into ports and my husband's favorite - docked in Alexandria, Egypt sitting on the balcony having wine listening to the call to prayer and seeing the man in the tower doing it; on the NCL Gem when our cruise got extended because of Superstorm Sandy - although the public decks were closed, we still went out on the balcony to watch mother nature; and on our last cruise on Celebrity around the bottom of South America - there is nothing like sitting drinking wine and watching glaciers go by!

It's a balcony or bust for us!:D

Herself and I just disembarked from Queen Mary 2 this morning in Southampton and are resting up to enjoy the next phase of our holiday (7 days in London! Whooo!). I had to weigh in on this thread, though. I am 100% SOLD on balconies! We had Cabin 6238, a sheltered balcony, and it was just marvelous being able to stretch, get up and stroll out onto the balcony to have breakfast! About the only way I can think that this could be improved on would be to have an open, non-obstructed balcony. We will both be sailing again for pleasure (as my .sig shows, I also go to sea for a living :) ) and a sheltered balcony I am convinced is the absolute bare minimum for civilized cruising.

Balconies or bust, say I! :D

LOVE your term "civilized" cruising!!! Wait till you have a BIG balcony, like an aft balcony that tend to be TWICE the size of standard balconies...corner afts are great, too..I 've been to London 25 times..I am friends with a famous British rock group, so I've been going regularly since 1993...great city..if you need some KILLER & cool pubs, let me know- I have a list...thanks for the great post & enjoy London!!

Big Al

My husbands first cruise we had booked an inside on the HAL Veendam to Bermuda and were surprised when they upgraded us to an Oceanview. We thought that was nice.

A few months later we went on the Carnival Dream (maybe a year after it was built) and had a Cove Balcony (loved it!), then a few months after that we went on the NCL Jade and did a balcony as well. We have had balconies ever since. We will never go back!;)

Our fondest memories are in the Western Carib. watching the late people run to get to the ship before it left port; in the Eastern Med, being on the balcony coming into ports and my husband's favorite - docked in Alexandria, Egypt sitting on the balcony having wine listening to the call to prayer and seeing the man in the tower doing it; on the NCL Gem when our cruise got extended because of Superstorm Sandy - although the public decks were closed, we still went out on the balcony to watch mother nature; and on our last cruise on Celebrity around the bottom of South America - there is nothing like sitting drinking wine and watching glaciers go by!

It's a balcony or bust for us!:D

It IS adictive, isn't it? Balconies are like chocolate- tough not to like...what you describe ( seeing all those MARVELOUS sights on your balcony!) is exactly what you cannot see from an inside cabin..think of what all those silly people are missing when they book an inside cabin and then comapre that to what YOU saw!! Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Big Al

Big Al, you are a hoot. Love to meet you someday at a meet and greet.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

I will be hosting a meet & greet on the RCI Oasis 10/29/14 AND the Sailaway party 10/27 @ 5 pm at the SKY bar..join us and meet Big Al ( AKA Balcony Boy) !! Halloween cruise with Abba tribute band playing...should be fun ( my wife's 60th BD party!!)...

Big Al

Sounds like a great cruise. We will miss you though as we are scheduled for b2b on FOS 11/9 through 11/23. Maybe next time! Have fun and happy birthday to your wife! I just celebrated the same milestone.

Edited by homeschoolmama

Sounds like a great cruise. We will miss you though as we are scheduled for b2b on FOS 11/9 through 11/23. Maybe next time! Have fun and happy birthday to your wife! I just celebrated the same milestone.

Thanks for the congrats..love the FOS...Great ship! Have a great cruise and Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!

Big Al

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Big Al- OUTSTANDING post...really well done! I met you on the Liberty Of The Seas about 18 months ago and you convinced us ( myself, Teresa & hubby Carlos..) right at the Meet & Mingle to book a balcony cabin next time out - we did, on the Allure, then the Disney Dream ( on your recommendation :)..), and now we are booked again next fall on the Celebrity Reflection, with your advice to thank for...NEVER again in the "broom closet" ;) ..one thing you were soooo right on about: you definitely enjoy your cabin more with a balcony to sit on!! We LOVED those sunsets and chilling with a drink late in the afternoon and watching the sea and all that goes on was so cool...we passed 6 or 7 ships and yes, we brought the binocs like you told us, and it was fun trying to see what cruise ship/ line it was...the Dream was FANTASTIC and the 2 bathrooms were great to have when getting ready to go out...loved Palo & shows were just terrific...thanks for the tips on the Dream..like you recommended, we will try Celebrity next, then we are looking at the NCL Getaway (also like you recommended..)..we may try the MSC Divina too..a few friends just got off her and said it was wonderful....hubby Carlos sends his regards...

Cruisindiaz ( Teresa)

Hi Big Al- OUTSTANDING post...really well done! I met you on the Liberty Of The Seas about 18 months ago and you convinced us ( myself, Teresa & hubby Carlos..) right at the Meet & Mingle to book a balcony cabin next time out - we did, on the Allure, then the Disney Dream ( on your recommendation :)..), and now we are booked again next fall on the Celebrity Reflection, with your advice to thank for...NEVER again in the "broom closet" ;) ..one thing you were soooo right on about: you definitely enjoy your cabin more with a balcony to sit on!! We LOVED those sunsets and chilling with a drink late in the afternoon and watching the sea and all that goes on was so cool...we passed 6 or 7 ships and yes, we brought the binocs like you told us, and it was fun trying to see what cruise ship/ line it was...the Dream was FANTASTIC and the 2 bathrooms were great to have when getting ready to go out...loved Palo & shows were just terrific...thanks for the tips on the Dream..like you recommended, we will try Celebrity next, then we are looking at the NCL Getaway (also like you recommended..)..we may try the MSC Divina too..a few friends just got off her and said it was wonderful....hubby Carlos sends his regards...

Cruisindiaz ( Teresa)

Hi Teresa! Yes, I remember you & Carlos- tough to forget a gal married to a guy the size of Giant's Stadium,LOL...thank you very much for the kind words- I'm just glad I was able to give you some guidance & tips on cruising & most of all- why & how balcony cabins are so worth the slight increase in $$ compared to that "broom closet" as I call it...do you remember Roy & Joanne from that M & M meeting that I invited to come to our balcony cabin & check it out? Well, they did the next sea day, and Joanne said IMMEDIATELY when she stepped onto the balcony," Oh my G-d, this is gorgeous!"..I made her sit on the lounge chair outside ( we had a Junior Suite that had 2 chairs & 1 lounger) and she sat back for about 30 seconds and looked at Roy and said ," WE are booking a balcony on our next cruise,OK?"..BTW, it was a beautiful day, sun shining and the white caps were mesmorizing...she asked " I guess sunsets are really something here"..."much better than the ones in your inside cabin" I smiled back at her...the Reflection is a gorgeous ship- don't miss the Martini Bar, and for specialty restaurants, the Tuscan Grille, Blu's & Murano's are outstanding...Cheers to Carlos!!

We just booked my 4th cruise. All 4 have been Carnival and on all 4 we have had balconies. Normally we get adjoining balconies since there are 4 of us (me, my mom, my dad and my brother). With the adjoining balcony cabins you can open the balconies up to make 1 MUCH bigger balcony. When we went to Alaska for my high school graduation 3 years ago we got an aft rap and then a balcony on the other side of the ship. That way we had views from 3 sides of the ship without ever leaving out rooms. The aft rap was AMAZING and a must if you are going to places where the view is what you go for (like Alaska). We saw bears fishing from our balcony that I doubt hardly any one else on the ship saw. We also saw wales and sooooo much more. On the cruise coming up we have adjoining balconies on the Carnival Magic. It has been far to long since the last cruise. My parents think they have spoiled us by giving us balconies but I do not think so. My mom never wants to get a cabin other than a balcony. We have soo much fun in our cabins. We feed the birds, have seen flying fish jump out of the water and soooooo much more. There is nothing like it. It is always interesting waking up and seeing where you are, especially when you wake up and are at a new port.

We just booked my 4th cruise. All 4 have been Carnival and on all 4 we have had balconies. Normally we get adjoining balconies since there are 4 of us (me, my mom, my dad and my brother). With the adjoining balcony cabins you can open the balconies up to make 1 MUCH bigger balcony. When we went to Alaska for my high school graduation 3 years ago we got an aft rap and then a balcony on the other side of the ship. That way we had views from 3 sides of the ship without ever leaving out rooms. The aft rap was AMAZING and a must if you are going to places where the view is what you go for (like Alaska). We saw bears fishing from our balcony that I doubt hardly any one else on the ship saw. We also saw wales and sooooo much more. On the cruise coming up we have adjoining balconies on the Carnival Magic. It has been far to long since the last cruise. My parents think they have spoiled us by giving us balconies but I do not think so. My mom never wants to get a cabin other than a balcony. We have soo much fun in our cabins. We feed the birds, have seen flying fish jump out of the water and soooooo much more. There is nothing like it. It is always interesting waking up and seeing where you are, especially when you wake up and are at a new port.

Thanks for the nice post on your experience! This is EXACTLY what I'm saying about the cruise "experience" is so different in a balcony...now imagine waking up & seeing 4 walls in total darkness instead of the deep blue sea..or the port of call..OR the glaciers and icebergs ..I've also been in the aft wrap around on Carnival and they do have great views...as a young person, you should probably try the RCI ships like Oasis, Allure, Freedom class,etc..they have so much to do- Flowrider surf simulator, Zip-line ( Oasis/ Allure) , Boardwalk with amazing diving shows, rock climbing walls, and more..25 dining options also..the new NCL ships ( Epic, Breakaway, & Getaway) have a lot of stuff for young people..slides, ropes climbing areas, 24+ dining options, great shows ( Blue Man Group, Rock Of Ages 80's musical, Burn The Floor, Illusionarium magic show,etc..) , all have much more than Carnival has IMO, which is not to bash CCL, just a suggestion to try different cruise lines to experience more...great post!

big al, with all due respect, there are other options between a balcony and a windowless inside room. There are rooms with large windows. On river cruise boats there are large doors that open to the outside, but no actual balcony to step out onto.

Yes, balconies are nice, essential on the mass market ships in the Caribbean IMHO, but for many cruises they are completely unnecessary and a waste of money. You don't need a balcony in Antarctica for example. Alaska is best viewed from a top deck where you can see both sides. An Atlantic crossing in the winter or early spring would be a waste of money for a balcony.

Edited by ducklite

Alaska is best viewed from a top deck where you can see both sides. An Atlantic crossing in the winter or early spring would be a waste of money for a balcony.

I have to disagree . The best cruise to have a balcony is an Alaskan cruise . We spent many hours wrapped in blankets watching the incredible landscape while still in our PJ's . On our Alaskan cruise six bald eagles were right outside our balcony teaching their young to fly .

Lovin' this thread!!! Hubby and I are going on our third cruise and I'm surprising him with a balcony. Can't wait; we've done inside cabins for the last two and I love them. I was slightly nervous about booking the balcony but with three sea days I figured it would be totally worth it. Can't wait to sail!!!

Thanks for the affirmation and the tips!!

Cheryl

Lovin' this thread!!! Hubby and I are going on our third cruise and I'm surprising him with a balcony. Can't wait; we've done inside cabins for the last two and I love them. I was slightly nervous about booking the balcony but with three sea days I figured it would be totally worth it. Can't wait to sail!!!

Thanks for the affirmation and the tips!!

Cheryl

Cheryl- Congrats on your first balcony!!! You won't believe how much more you will love your cruise with the actual SEA at your feet!! A tip: either print out my suggestions OR write them down along with others here and BRING them with you on the cruise..the MUST DO'S ARE:

1) Breakfast on the balcony ( day at sea preferred )..remember to tip waiter about $5 in CASH to set table up outside..

2) When you get up EVERYDAY, go on your balcony and enjoy the scenery ..enjoy a cup of coffee, read cruise pamphlet on what to do today, etc..

3) When you get back from the pool ( on a sea day) OR back from an excursion at a port of call, chill out on your balcony and realize you don't have to be looking at 4 walls, no light, no wind, no waves, no sounds, NO NOTHING EXCEPT the amazing ocean & harbour...

4) If you are facing West, check out the sunsets...

5) Before bed, go outside & check out the sea at night, ESPECIALLY if it's a moonlit night...I love seeing the whitecaps and HEARING them under a moonlit sky ( and the STARS!!)

6) Finally, if there's a storm with lightening & rain, don't be afraid to sit out there & check it out- it is an AMAZING thing to see ( as I mention in my original post)

When are you going and on what ship? Make sure you come back on this thread and let us know what you thought and how your hubby liked the surprise!!

Big Al