Thanks, cruise ship balcony!! A commentary..

big al

A few of us are booked on The Adventure of the seas in March. When we booked the only balcony cabins were on deck 6. I have never been on a deck this low before. Does anyone know if they are ok..? I hear they don't have see-thur railings, is that right. My sisters have booked a suite in the aft of the ship. Is the view obstructed?? I agree about the balconies. Never cruise any other way. Thanks for your feedback..

Edited by oldbag40

I agree! I loved our balcony cabin on the Pride in 2012. Our first cruise on the Imagination had portholes but that doesn't compare to sitting out on your own balcony early in the morning chatting quietly and sipping coffee.we are booked into a balcony cabin for our upcoming cruise in December,and I doubt I will ever book another cabin that does not have a balcony

Carnival Breeze April 20th. The girls are trying to plan a cruise to Europe in Sept/Oct and this was my chance to see if I would enjoy cruising:p The only balcony room I could find was on level 6 midship...The other couples booked in October last year (inside cabins) I wanted balcony:p Wish me luck..Thank you for your reply..

The Breeze should be fun..make sure you have the girls come in & sit on your balcony so they are jealous,lol...and GOOD LUCK!

Big Al

A few of us are booked on The Adventure of the seas in March. When we booked the only balcony cabins were on deck 6. I have never been on a deck this low before. Does anyone know if they are ok..? I hear they don't have see-thur railings, is that right. My sisters have booked a suite in the aft of the ship. Is the view obstructed?? I agree about the balconies. Never cruise any other way. Thanks for your feedback..

Problem on deck 6 is that is right above the Royal Promenade..it can be noisy due to the parties & parades..not sure about the see-thru railings...aft suites ( I had an aft Jr. Suite) have HUGE balconies and the views are fabulous..there is a little bit of steel that hangs down in the aft, but obstructed is too harsh a word..more like I wish those steel beams were not there...don't forget to try CHOPS FOR A SPECIAL DINING NIGHT out, and the Ice-skating show for sure AND the 70's retro disco night on the Royal Promenade...have a great cruise!!

Big Al

I agree! I loved our balcony cabin on the Pride in 2012. Our first cruise on the Imagination had portholes but that doesn't compare to sitting out on your own balcony early in the morning chatting quietly and sipping coffee.we are booked into a balcony cabin for our upcoming cruise in December,and I doubt I will ever book another cabin that does not have a balcony

Sometime try a corner aft balcony or aft balcony, they tend to have more space..balconies on the Pride are a little small ( 38 sf)..you should always try and get a balcony that is more than 50 sq. ft..some ships with larger standard balconies are: RCI Freedom class & Oasis class ( Voyager also..) , Celebrity Solstice class, HAL Newer ships, and Disney have nice balconies..all others have smaller balconies..

Big Al

• 3 weeks later...
you just made us very happy cos we have booked balcony first time so looking forward to it now thanks

Booked our first Extended Balcony (first Balcony) for our 30th anniversary....we can't wait. Will let you know about our experience.

Congrats on you both!! Nanny Jean you will LOVE your balcony...TexasCruisersRR the extended balconies are very cool...I want you BOTH to read my original post and either print it out or jot down some notes on what I say to do about when to go out there- early morning, sunset, late at night when you can see the white tops only, back from the pool on a sea day ( notice how serene it is out there after all the noise from the pool deck..), thunderstorms, on port days, opening the curtains & seeing ships docked right across from you, etc, etc...it WILL change your whole experience on your cruise- promise!!

Big Al

Big Al, I re-read your original post and will try out the things you suggest! One question for you or the group - with the extended AFT balcony there appears to be room for the big fold out chairs that you sunbathe on? Can or will they bring you 1 or two of those to your room so you can sunbathe on your balcony? Thanks in advance for any information you can share :)

Big Al, I re-read your original post and will try out the things you suggest! One question for you or the group - with the extended AFT balcony there appears to be room for the big fold out chairs that you sunbathe on? Can or will they bring you 1 or two of those to your room so you can sunbathe on your balcony? Thanks in advance for any information you can share :)

Texas: Some companies will not bring a lounge chair out there, some will if you tell them you will "make it worth their while" and of course, give them a CASH tip....... I would suggest $10 ( at least)..it also depends on your cabin steward ( he or she is the one to ask..)...you might say,

"any possibility you can bring 1 or 2 lounge chairs to our balcony? I'll take care of you for it, promise"...something like that...some aft balconies can only handle 1 lounge chair..what ship are you on?

Big Al

Texas: Some companies will not bring a lounge chair out there, some will if you tell them you will "make it worth their while" and of course, give them a CASH tip....... I would suggest $10 ( at least)..it also depends on your cabin steward ( he or she is the one to ask..)...you might say,

"any possibility you can bring 1 or 2 lounge chairs to our balcony? I'll take care of you for it, promise"...something like that...some aft balconies can only handle 1 lounge chair..what ship are you on?

Big Al

Carnival Triumph!

Carnival Triumph!

LOL, I took my wife, her sister & DD( 14) & DS( 15),and my 15 yr. old niece on a spring break cruise 10 years ago now on the Carnival Triumph, and had a great time..hint: don't EVER take 3 teens ( especially 2 girls!!) on a Spring Break cruise!! The aft extended balconies are nice...next time try RCI ( Allure, Oasis, Freedom class ships are great)..they are more $$, but have a ton more perqs like surfing pool, ice-skating shows, Zip-lines,3 different pool areas including an adult pool area with hot tubs that stick out 12 feet over the side with amazing views of the sea, PLUS on Oasis/ Allure there is a MUST-SEE diving show outside at the back of the ship..not to mention 25 dining venues!!

Big Al

I just got off a ship tour of the NCL Breakaway..very nice ship, BTW...they had a dinner for us, and at the dinner I sat next to another cruise agent and we were discussing various cruise lines & ships...she mentioned she just got off the Carnival Dream and it cost her only XXX dollars..I said, "wow a balcony for only $xxx??"...she goes, "oh no, we always get an inside cabin"...I said, "Not me, I'm not spending a week in a broom closet, and you miss all the great things that come with a balcony..the whole feeling CONNECTED to the sea, the ship, the sky, the salt air, the marine life, the weather, other cruise ships passing....not to mention your own private verandah where you can read, sip a drink, fall asleep to the mesmorizing sounds of the sea, or just gaze out at the waves & white caps.." Funny, everybody at the table ( about 10 of us) said, "yeah, that sounds great, but I'm only in my cabin to sleep & shower"..."that's cause you have a terrible cabin- I would DREAD going back to that , and I did when we had an inside on the Majesty once...but now when I book a balcony, I can't WAIT to open the door and walk outside onto my private haven of sun & sea wonders...do you that when you open the door to your inside cabin?"....DEAD SILENCE.......I say it again- a balcony completely changes your whole experience on your cruise..those of you who have done both an inside & a balcony, please share your thoughts on the difference.....

Big Al

Big Al, You are so right about the balcony! So glad you shared with all of us. My husband and I were just on the Celebrity constellation and got a balcony for the first time (2nd marriage for us and a delayed honeymoon). He went along with the booking because I said a balcony was non-negotiable. Well, now he is a happy guy loving the balcony so much we booked a balcony on the Reflection for March 2015. My brother and sister in law had an ocean view on the connie and were in our cabin more than they were in theirs! We had a great time, a great view and yes - the feel of the sea! Well said, Big Al.

Sue (and her balcony loving husband) Kevin

Big Al, I have really enjoyed this post about balconies. I literally am ROTFLOL at the reference to a broom closet and many of the posts from you all here!

I was a Flight Attendant for many years. I always (before 911 regs) went up to the cockpit to see the Aurora Borealis, asteroid showers, thunderstorms etc. I ALWAYS take any window seat, as a passenger, to see the sky and possible thunderstorms. Love, Love , Love those storms. Especially if they are off in a distance. So I am a true geek when it comes to viewing nature's artwork. Can you imagine a passenger plane without windows? I can't.

My first cruise was a Windjammer cruise. Boy, if you don't feel connected to the sky and sea on one of those cruises, you're a zombie. All of my cruises have been with an ocean view. (Some before balconies) I ALWAYS hear that lame song about, "spending little time in your room so what does it matter," and I never get it. The room is important to me. I Love looking out the porthole/window at the sea.

Well, I did not like the Oasis of the Seas the first time we sailed on it. It didn't occur to me until some time later that it was because we had, for the first time, an interior room. (A large interior) I felt like I was in an enclosed mall (aka broom closet) the entire cruise! Our cruise was very crowded, with no chairs at the pool and long lines at the eateries. It was the first time that I didn't feel that "cruise nirvana." I told everyone that I like the feel of a standard ship, and therefore prefer the Freedom or smaller class ships over the Oasis size ships. But the answer, as you have pointed out, is in the cabin not necessarily the ship. I NEED that connection with the sea! I get it now.

Our group is cruising the Oasis again, so this time I booked a hump balcony! On the smaller ships I feel that I could do an ocean-view, but ask me after I experience this balcony! I have previously chosen the ocean-view because my son was younger.

I Love your ideas for eating. I'm done looking for a place to sit and eat. Balcony.

No seats by the pool? Balcony.

I always bring a small sound machine. One cruise we had packed up the machine for the last night luggage prep and noticed a ton of noise that we Never heard with the machine running. (I like to be near the elevators)

We will pack the binoculars this trip too, thank you very much.

A question....on the Oasis does the air conditioning shut off if the balcony door is unLocked? Not open, just, unlocked. I heard that the lock/unlock triggers the air.

And if locked from the inside can one unlock it from the outside?

Thanks a million! You guys have some great stories.

Edited by Xewrsw
Word edit

Big Al, You are so right about the balcony! So glad you shared with all of us. My husband and I were just on the Celebrity constellation and got a balcony for the first time (2nd marriage for us and a delayed honeymoon). He went along with the booking because I said a balcony was non-negotiable. Well, now he is a happy guy loving the balcony so much we booked a balcony on the Reflection for March 2015. My brother and sister in law had an ocean view on the connie and were in our cabin more than they were in theirs! We had a great time, a great view and yes - the feel of the sea! Well said, Big Al.

Sue (and her balcony loving husband) Kevin

Sue & Kevin- You are soooo welcome and kind words...There are not too many things I know about..Women's Healthcare ( especially progestins) , London, 60's music trivia ( EVERYTHING about the British Invasion!!), Titanic, Rogue waves, Jack The Ripper, sports, AND cruising & balcony cabins!!...all else I'm fairly "normal" on....FYI & LOL, same thing happened when our family went on a spring break cruise and only my wife & I had a balcony- the other 4 had 2 inside cabins, but spent A LOT of time on our balcony oooing and ahhhing..3 were teens & one their Mom...Now, one of those teens is getting married in June and in October she has a BALCONY cabin on the Oasis!!...BTW, Refelction is a beautiful ship...try & get a balcony cabin on the "hump"..better views!!

Big Al

Big Al, I have really enjoyed this post about balconies. I literally am ROTFLOL at the reference to a broom closet and many of the posts from you all here!

I was a Flight Attendant for many years. I always (before 911 regs) went up to the cockpit to see the Aurora Borealis, asteroid showers, thunderstorms etc. I ALWAYS take any window seat, as a passenger, to see the sky and possible thunderstorms. Love, Love , Love those storms. Especially if they are off in a distance. So I am a true geek when it comes to viewing nature's artwork. Can you imagine a passenger plane without windows? I can't.

My first cruise was a Windjammer cruise. Boy, if you don't feel connected to the sky and sea on one of those cruises, you're a zombie. All of my cruises have been with an ocean view. (Some before balconies) I ALWAYS hear that lame song about, "spending little time in your room so what does it matter," and I never get it. The room is important to me. I Love looking out the porthole/window at the sea.

Well, I did not like the Oasis of the Seas the first time we sailed on it. It didn't occur to me until some time later that it was because we had, for the first time, an interior room. (A large interior) I felt like I was in an enclosed mall (aka broom closet) the entire cruise! Our cruise was very crowded, with no chairs at the pool and long lines at the eateries. It was the first time that I didn't feel that "cruise nirvana." I told everyone that I like the feel of a standard ship, and therefore prefer the Freedom or smaller class ships over the Oasis size ships. But the answer, as you have pointed out, is in the cabin not necessarily the ship. I NEED that connection with the sea! I get it now.

Our group is cruising the Oasis again, so this time I booked a hump balcony! On the smaller ships I feel that I could do an ocean-view, but ask me after I experience this balcony! I have previously chosen the ocean-view because my son was younger.

I Love your ideas for eating. I'm done looking for a place to sit and eat. Balcony.

I always bring a small sound machine. One cruise we had packed up the machine for the last night luggage prep and noticed a ton of noise that we Never heard with the machine running. (I like to be near the elevators)

A question....on the Oasis does the air conditioning shut off if the balcony door is unLocked? Not open, just, unlocked. I heard that the lock/unlock triggers the air.

First, you are welcome for the tips on how to really appreciate your balcony cabin...2nd, yes, the A/C will turn off when you open the balcony door, UNLESS they have fixed that the last year or so...it should still run if just unlocked...second, the Oasis is amazing ship, ESPECIALLY for kids! Make sure you DON'T MISS:

Flowrider

Zip-line

H20 Fun Zone pool for kids

Sitting in those FANTASTIC infinity hot tubs in the Adult Solarium pool area- 12 feet out over the sea, great views of the sea( tip- go on a sea day for maximum views!!)

Ice- skating shows

Parades at night in Royal Promenade

Hairspray ( best musical I've ever seen on my 29 cruises IMO)

Diving show at the back of the ship ( DON'T MISS THAT!)

Johnny Rockets for a burger, fries & milk shake

Singing in the British Pub 60's/70's/ 80's music

A walk in Central Park AT NIGHT on a clear night ( if possible)..listen to the classical music trio

Go to the Park Cafe in Central Park and try their roast beef sandwiches ( freshly made)

If hungry at night, go to the Cafe Promenade & try the croissant sandwiches ( small)..my favs are the prosciutto & cheese, and ham & cheese..also they have cookies ..all for FREE..if you prefer pizza, Sorrento's has free slices ) also on the Royal Promenade..,.AND you can also get any of these foods and take them back and eat them ON YOUR BALCONY while gazing at the moonlit seas!!

If you didn't do ALL these things on your Oasis cruise, you MISSED out, I guarantee it...I also like the Freedom class ships, BUT, for activities & things to do, NOTHING beats the Oasis ships,IMO..if you need anymore info on these ships let me know- I have cruised both Oasis & Allure and have done a tour of Oasis twice..going in October for a 5 night Halloween cruise for my wife's 60th b'day along with 5 other family members..there is an ABBA tribute band playing and between that, the Haunted House, Hairspray & ice-skating show, we should have a blast...

Big Al

I so agree with you....any chance I get to look out into the sky to watch cloud formations, a distant lightning storm.....watching mother nature at work! I can't wait!:)

• 1 month later...

Had to share this...just spoke yesterday with a couple who booked their first balcony (thanks to my urging!!) after 8 straight cruises in an inside cabin..I gave them a list of things to do ( mostly from here on this post) and told them to PLEASE follow my leads on this...well, they called me last night and told me they are now balcony converts!!

This couple booked a D1 balcony on the HUMP on the Freedom Of The Seas after various cruises on RCI, Carnival & NCL...they especially loved:

1)Breakfast on their balcony ..they listened to me and did it on a sea day..the woman said the difference between having breakfast outside on their private verandah watching the sea, and FEELING the sea, was a difference between light, sunshine & happiness, and gloom & darkness..Thanks, cruise ship balcony!

2) Coming into ports and leaving ports- how cool they said it was to SEE the ports as you come in and SEE them as you leave, rather than be in a dark inside cabin completely clueless as to what's happening

3) Sitting out on the verandah on a sea day just after you get back from the pool deck- I told them I really liked sitting out there because it was SO quiet..after sitting at the pool area for 4,5 , or 6 hours with thousands of others and all the pool deck excitement, he said it was in fact, sooooo soothing to sit outside and just "chill" with a beverage and JUST hear the waves and the wind..they told me they both sat out there almost an hour and fell asleep in their chairs while experiencing the wonders of the sea...

4) Sunset & late at night- another fav of mine...they loved seeing the moonlit sky over the white caps...also, they went out 3-4 times at sunset to see the sun going down with tropical drinks in hand..hell, this is making me want to go NOW!!!

Best news is- they now want to try a Junior Suite or Mini- suite on their next cruise and want to take the wife's sister & husband..this might be tough as he is one of those "cheap" cabin guys, and "I'm never in the cabin" guys, as the woman told me..but after what they told the both of them, he is intrigued and may come around , plus the sister says the balcony "sounds so wonderful & romantic, we should try it"...so all I can say is, 'Thanks, cruise ship balcony!!"

Big Al

Looking forward to Oasis 10/27/14

I so agree with you....any chance I get to look out into the sky to watch cloud formations, a distant lightning storm.....watching mother nature at work! I can't wait!:)

Texascruiser- You will LOVE the bump cabin!!! Great views and follow my suggestions...unless you're drunk, unconscious, or asleep, you can't help but FEEL the sea, FEEL the wind, SMELL the salt air, and mostly, HAVE A CONNECTION TO THE SEA AND TO YOUR CRUISE!!Any questions, let me know..BTW, as for the A/C turning off when you open the door, I honestly can't remember..some cruise ships do that now to conserve power...as for the lock, don't think you can lock it from the outside, but that's a good question to ask on the RCI thread! When are you going?

Big Al

1) Breakfast on their balcony on a sea day

2) Coming into ports and leaving ports

3) Sitting out on the verandah on a sea day with a beverage and JUST hear the waves and the wind while experiencing the wonders of the sea

4) Sunset and late at night and seeing the moonlit sky over the white caps

These are some of the reasons we love having a balcony, especially on the hump when one is available!

This is a great thread!

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

These are some of the reasons we love having a balcony, especially on the hump when one is available!

This is a great thread!

Happy cruising!

JimAOK1945- Thanks for the compliment..did you read my FIRST post on the first page? Some good ideas there as well...balconies are my passion..a big tip: if you like hump balconies as I do, book as far in advance as you can, and you'll most likely get them...if you've never been in an aft cabin, that is also a completely different perspective & view back there- very serene and alot of people LOVE the views of the wake & sunsets...

Big Al

big Al , just love your posts ................tips are so helpful too, this our 3rd cruise 1st balcony, that inside cabin we had Carnival Legend was so small had to leave wheelchair outside not a good situation for me so roll on 14th june , thanks again

big Al , just love your posts ................tips are so helpful too, this our 3rd cruise 1st balcony, that inside cabin we had Carnival Legend was so small had to leave wheelchair outside not a good situation for me so roll on 14th june , thanks again

Thanks for the kind words..You will LOVE your little verandah haven..just make sure you go out there 3-4x or more every day like I said in my original post..breakfast on a SEA day..order the night before from your order form in the cabin...give the waiter a CASH tip and make sure he puts everything outside on the coffee table...TIP- if the table is very small outside , take the one from inside and bring it outside just to eat...Enjoy your first balcony!!

Big Al