beware P&O policies

plankgate

I booked a cruise on the ventura in august N402 departing 17 jan 2914,total price paid £4098.In November I received an email from p&o with various offers.

one of these being N402 same date same cabin grade for £3098, a staggering £1000 reduction.

I phoned p&o and was told to send an email, this I did and the reply i was informed that they could do nothing about this and it was their policy to reduce prices when required.

I urge p&o clients to check what they paid and what the latest price is as you may be surprised.

Any replies or advice would be appreciated

Wher'eve you been for the last 12 months? Pricing has been done to death on here and P&O have recently announced a new structure which, they hope, will make everything clearer for everyone.

You must have been happy with the price you paid in August or you wouldn't have booked, and you presumably read the brochure, so you should have realised what the pricing structure was.

I do wish people would take more responsibility for their own actions and decisions.

Wher'eve you been for the last 12 months? Pricing has been done to death on here and P&O have recently announced a new structure which, they hope, will make everything clearer for everyone.

You must have been happy with the price you paid in August or you wouldn't have booked, and you presumably read the brochure, so you should have realised what the pricing structure was.

I do wish people would take more responsibility for their own actions and decisions.

To be fair to the OP, assuming that a Vantage fare was booked, then he/she has been another victim of the Vantage Fare Price Promise that was worthless.

I booked a cruise on the ventura in august N402 departing 17 jan 2914,total price paid £4098.In November I received an email from p&o with various offers.

one of these being N402 same date same cabin grade for £3098, a staggering £1000 reduction.

I phoned p&o and was told to send an email, this I did and the reply i was informed that they could do nothing about this and it was their policy to reduce prices when required.

I urge p&o clients to check what they paid and what the latest price is as you may be surprised.

A word of advice. If you book any future cruises NEVER NEVER EVER look at the prices again.

They do drop nearer to sailing date, and even under the new structure coming in April 2014 , if they still have lots of cabins not sold they will sell them cheaper.

As has been posted with the new structure it should be clearer what you get for what you pay.

All one can say for the one in January is go on it and enjoy yourself. You may get some bore whole will insist on telling his table mates how little he paid. If you get them, ask how much they paid..Then say oh I paid £200 less (than what ever figure they quote) you've been done my friend. That will shut them up.

If they're not going to refund the difference why are you encouraging people to check the prices? At the end of the day, you were happy enough with the price at the time to book...

It's all very well saying don't look at the prices but in our case we booked a cruise three weeks ago on a Getaway price.... since then we have had two emails offering us this cruise firstly at £200 less and secondly at £400 less !! so we can't get away from the fact it has been greatly reduced.

In future we shall wait until less than a month to sail date and see what we can get.:)

It's all very well saying don't look at the prices but in our case we booked a cruise three weeks ago on a Getaway price.... since then we have had two emails offering us this cruise firstly at £200 less and secondly at £400 less !! so we can't get away from the fact it has been greatly reduced.

In future we shall wait until less than a month to sail date and see what we can get.:)

Which is all well and good, BUT don't complain about what you get if your usual choice is sold out.

All cruise lines reduce prices at some time before a cruise sails. This has been the case for as long as I have been cruising. It is more noticeable now with the Internet. If you want you could just wait until the week before. If you can go at the drop of a hat you will get a good deal, but this is not new. On the other hand you could miss out altogether.

Whatever system is in place there will always be late deals. That is just the way it is.

And this is why people say standards are dropping. You paid a price you were happy with at the time. Pando were probably making very little out of the fare you paid. If there are still cabins left you will quite likely end up above the engine.

When do people get chrissie pressies from you-is it in January, while the sales are on,as if you buy in December, you know it will be reduced in January.

We will see what happens from next April when you may still get a cheap fare ,but no choice whatsoever in when you dine-and before everyone says freedom dining....that is probably going to be the first one that gets booked up by the select bookers and early savers. Plus paying for shuttles in ports etc.

If there are still cabins left you will quite likely end up above the engine.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this comment - our last 3 p&O's have been getaways and we have had a good upgrade from the grade purchased each time. Others on here have also had good upgrades on Getaways.

Wow - that told them !

Sorry, but I do agree with the OP, and I know that P&O are trying to sort out their pricing 'nightmare', but sadly, for them, it's too little too late.

We would have been in the same position had we decided to carry on with our booking of Azura leaving end Nov. We booked a balcony at £1999 ea, only to see the cabins on sale now for £999 :eek:

And before anyone shoots ME down in flames, yes, I know the pricing policy, yes, I knew it when I booked, but a £1000 ea difference? Do me a favour :(

Anyway, we aren't going - decided to go on Celebrity last month instead, got a fab deal (in a suite) and won't be booking with P&O again anytime soon.

Lou

Edited by Lovemychoos

I have so far only done four cruises. All on Ventura and have always foolishly paid full price. I note that they say dining choice will not be possible if booking a getaway fare or the new equivalent, but I certainly will be waiting till last minute to book any future cruise.

On our last cruise this October on Ventura they had introduced freedom dining to two restaurants instead of just one. I feel fairly certain that most people will get freedom dining, whatever fare they book under so that is good news, and certainly is another reason to book late.

The common thread of pricing misery raises its head again. Price reductions have always been there as departure date looms, so is it that the reductions are now greater or is it the way that Vantage was sold that causes so much anger?

Many people in the review section on here and other sites appear to be so angry about the pricing structure that they are vowing not to cruise with P & O again. There appears to be a clear correlation for people who are moaning about the quality of their trip and/or the quality of fellow travellers to also add a comment about having paid more money than others for their cruise.

If these words become a reality and these people do not book again, then there is a downward spiral that will be hard to stop. That saddens me because I want P & O to prosper as I enjoy their product.

Lets just hope that the disingenuous price promise doesn't turn into a Gerald Ratner type moment. I have booked and sailed both Vantage and Getaway so I have not got any axe to grind, I just want to go back to hearing good things about cruises taken and people being excited about going on a future cruise!

Fortunately I am not quite old enough to travel Saga just yet (getting close). I have just looked at the final cruise for SAGA Ruby (I have an interest in ships and it is being retired after 40 years).

31 nights Caribbean, suite price £20203, inside £5729. Arcadia 24 nights over Christmas inside £2779 vantage, £1899 getaway. Suite sold out, but was £7749 at launch.

Which ship would you choose?

....Lets just hope that the disingenuous price promise doesn't turn into a Gerald Ratner type moment....

That certainly makes you think!

They are having difficulty filling the ships and if all the Vantage fiasco has done is make people book later in the hope of a bargain they could be in serious trouble.

Meanwhile can we all try to be civil to each other when replying to posts. I think there are more aggressive style postings which IMO is not a good development.

That certainly makes you think!

They are having difficulty filling the ships and if all the Vantage fiasco has done is make people book later in the hope of a bargain they could be in serious trouble.

Meanwhile can we all try to be civil to each other when replying to posts. I think there are more aggressive style postings which IMO is not a good development.

I totally agree with you. Don't get me wrong, we LOVED P&O for a very long time, we look our first cruise with them in 1995, and could never imagine we would ever want or need to book with anyone else.

However, the old days, when you were excited to book on the day cruises were launched, and waited with baited breath until your TA phoned to confirm that you had got your cabin booked, are sadly long gone. My own personal view is that if you booked and committed early, surely you should have been entitled to at least up-grade once the late booking offers were advertised. Other lines allow you to do it, or get obc for the difference, so I don't really see what the problem would have been for P&O? Or maybe I'm just over-simplifying things?

All I know is I'd be as mad as hell to have paid £1000 EACH more than someone booking now. Just because it's in their terms and conditions doesn't make it morally correct.

Lou

Edited by Lovemychoos

Lets just hope that the disingenuous price promise doesn't turn into a Gerald Ratner type moment.

I certainly hope not, but this could just be the case, the recent Getaway prices have been lower than ever and there comes a point where it doesn't become viable without dropping the standard even further. I cannot see how they are making any money out of flying passengers to the Caribbean and giving them a balcony cabin for £999.

The common thread of pricing misery raises its head again. Price reductions have always been there as departure date looms, so is it that the reductions are now greater or is it the way that Vantage was sold that causes so much anger?

Many people in the review section on here and other sites appear to be so angry about the pricing structure that they are vowing not to cruise with P & O again.

All cruise lines reduce prices at some time before a cruise sails. This has been the case for as long as I have been cruising. It is more noticeable now with the Internet. If you want you could just wait until the week before. If you can go at the drop of a hat you will get a good deal, but this is not new. On the other hand you could miss out altogether.

Whatever system is in place there will always be late deals. That is just the way it is.

We need to book early to secure an accessible cabin and our recent cruise experience has been with Celebrity and P&O.

My complaint with P&O is that their launch prices, even with their advertised reductions and extra goodies are generally the highest prices they advertise.

However the launch prices from Celebrity always offer a good discount from the brochure price, and their prices do tend to increase further over the next 12 months, which means their last minute deals are rarely less than we paid.

The result is a positive customer satisfaction with Celebrity and a negative one with P&O, and will clearly affect our future bookings until P&O see the light.

Edited by terrierjohn

However the launch prices from Celebrity always offer a good discount from the brochure price, and their prices do tend to increase further over the next 12 months.

... until after final payment when the prices can come down significantly in their Tuesday sales. You have to book through a TA in the US to get them but generally you get gratuities or OBC thrown in free.

The UK pricing from RCI/Celebrity can also really come down nearer sailing. Two months out this year's November 12 night Med. sailings from RCI & Celebrity dropped to £700 for UK bookings.

Our first Celebrity cruise was on the Century in 2007. This excellent 10 night cruise cost £400 for a balcony cabin booked in the UK a week before departure.

Thank you for all for your replies, much appreciated, it has opened my eyes to booking a future cruise, I wonder, if every one decided to book 6 to 8 weeks before departure, how would this affect P&O cash flow ie do we sail or do we not.

I ask another question, I booked this cruise In august at GE grade, on looking at the deck plans I see that there are only 2 cabins in this grade, so how can P&O keep selling the last cabin at a reduction of £1000

Whilst on Oriana back in September, got talking to the future cruise desk. As an example of how they are hurting, one Baltic cruise went out with 80% on Getaway. That was a massive loss. That is why they have changed it to Select and whatever the other one is. There will always be very late deals obviously, but P&O cannot afford for everyone to wait for Getaway.

Thank you for all for your replies, much appreciated, it has opened my eyes to booking a future cruise, I wonder, if every one decided to book 6 to 8 weeks before departure, how would this affect P&O cash flow ie do we sail or do we not.

I ask another question, I booked this cruise In august at GE grade, on looking at the deck plans I see that there are only 2 cabins in this grade, so how can P&O keep selling the last cabin at a reduction of £1000

The GE grade is the lowest grade that you can occupy. Theoretically those 2 cabins would only be sold if there were no vacancies in any other grade. The ship always has a few free cabins in case one becomes unfit for occupation so they can move the occupants. It might be that those 2 GE grade cabins are always empty unless someone reserves the specific cabin number.

The problem with Vantage fares was by booking late you had a good chance of getting a superior cabin at a price much lower than someone who had booked a lesser grade early. This looked, felt and was unfair and was crazy marketing. In effect they were using the high prices charged to the early bookers to subsidise cheap prices for late bookers whilst 'punishing' those who had paid more early.

You obviously booked the Vantage price and had choice of cabin. The Vantage price is now £100 per person MORE than you paid so no compensation is due by way of OBC.

The Getaway prices are for the MINIMUM cabin grade so for the current Getaway fare of £1499 per person for a GE grade there is no choice of cabin number but a guarantee of AT LEAST a grade GE cabin.

This was the case on our Adonia cruise last month. The only Getaway pricing was for the HC grade. As there are only 6 of these cabins on the ship then almost everyone booking Getaway pricing was upgraded to at least grade GC cabins.

You may want to stop looking at the prices as the similar cruises in November/December are currently £999 per person for a balcony and I would expect the January ones to follow suit nearer departure.

They are guaranteeing a minimum of GE grade and will more than likely be higher so no problem.