Just got Back from Carnival... Is Disney worth it?

firstcruiseever

There are really only one or two "rabid" cheerleaders on this board. Most of us are pretty balanced. I have recently criticized the Magic sailing too soon out if dry dock without giving people options to cancel or generous credits for their inconvenience. In the past I've also emphatically stated that I don't believe that DCL is the best option for adults without children, unless they are die hard Disney fans. I don't think anyone in this thread hasn't criticized at one point or another when DCL has screwed something up. The difference is that we are balanced and constructive.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Yeah....Carnival really stinks.

They only donated 1.5 MILLION to relief funds for the Phillipines...and the amount is rising. You don't see it on the news, but you do see that generous Disney donated only one third that much. :rolleyes:

Gee why would they do that.........maybe trying to get the mud of the face of the line?

They have tried everything else and it hasn't worked.

aKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Gee why would they do that.........maybe trying to get the mud of the face of the line?

aKK

That's just mean. You should be ashamed of yourself.

They have employees from the Phillipines to whom they are also donating.

I'm sure the people of the Phillipines really don't care WHAT the reason is that someone is donating, just that they are.

AND.....if Carnival Corp were doing it for the RECOGNITION, it would be all over the news, the way Disney's was. But it wasn't.

Edited by MizDaisy

aKK

Come on! You don't think it has anything to do with the number of the employees who are from that part of the world? To read your posts you would think they are the most evil company in the world.

Come on! You don't think it has anything to do with the number of the employees who are from that part of the world? To read your posts you would think they are the most evil company in the world.

Yes, I do agree with you..partly.................but for daisy to present this as a total act of kindness and thereby making Carnival a wonderful company is equally not true.

I would not find it hard to believe this was also part for PR.

AKK

That's just mean. You should be ashamed of yourself.

They have employees from the Phillipines to whom they are also donating.

I'm sure the people of the Phillipines really don't care WHAT the reason is that someone is donating, just that they are.

AND.....if Carnival Corp were doing it for the RECOGNITION, it would be all over the news, the way Disney's was. But it wasn't.

Funny I didn't see either one, but a fast search bring up many, many articles on the Carnival donation, including the heat owned by them and 3 on the Disney.

This one act does not make up for all of the other problems Carnival has caused. Sorry I don't trust Micky as all!

AKK

AKK

Funny I didn't see either one' date=' but this one act does not make up for all of the other problem Carnival has caused.

AKK[/quote']

Nor was it intended to be, I'm sure. Any "incident" that Carnival has had, has been compensated for in one way or another...even if it was via a lawsuit. Totally beside the point.

YOU'RE the one who seems to feel that Carnival should just commit suicide in order to get forgiveness for their sins.

They saw a need, and they donated. More than Disney by a long shot. Facts. End of story.

His problem is that he has closed his mind to Carnival and nothing anyone says will ever change his mind.

And that is fine for AKK. He is happy on DCL, you are happy switching to whatever cruise line suits your needs.

Why bother to debate the benefits and downfalls of Carnival with him?

You will never win and will never change his mind.

A bit like me and you about shorts in the MDR's! :p

A dead end conversation going round and round.

Wanna play tic-tac-toe some time??? lol!

ex techie

It's funny, I guess my husband and I aren't like the rest of the population.

We found that Disney wasn't for us after our cruise last week. I wasn't impressed with the majority of the food, nor am I always impressed with the food on Carnival. Disney DOES do a lot of things better than Carnival, such as cleanliness, friendliness, and the debarkation process. The cleanliness and friendliness varies amongst the Carnival fleet though... the Legend was amazing but the Triumph lacked in these areas.

The adult entertainment on Disney was extremely scarce. There were only three shows that were 18+ (two magic and one Marriage Game Show), the rest of the adult entertainment was for those who like to dance and go to the spa. I prefer the game shows and a dirty comedian here and there. Plus everything on Disney started late for a family who had early seating in the dining room (not my choice). I missed the few 18+ activities that were on board because I was full after eating and tired after the big shows like The Golden Mickeys, which I only found mildly entertaining even as a big kid myself.

While I did enjoy some aspects of Disney, I'm sticking to Carnival. It works better for those of us who are younger, without kids, and prefer cheap thrills.

Haha, that's where we were before Disney!

I agree about the entertainment. I enjoy Carnival more, and Carnival has better desserts! I never had a bad carnival cruise, just the service and magic was greater on Disney. I did enjoy the additional shops on Carnival as well.

I have to admit, this is silly....but I've looked through tons of Fun Times, and don't see any contest like the one mentioned.

I did notice that the Hairy Chest contest does say "adults only"....although I still don't know why.

One afternoon, a group of ladies were having brunch in the private dining room at Palo when a group of men in Speedos decided to stand outside the window and put on a show. :p:p:p I'd rather see a hairy chest, thank you.

I had the opposite experience at Palo on the Magic.

A lady in a yellow bikini was sunning on the deck outside the windows. Apparently the windows are mirrored so she took some time to pose in front of a window and carefully adjust all of her bikini straps oblivious that below here was a waiter that caught on. He whistled and the other waiters came running over and very excitedly enjoyed the show. It was hilarious and apparently not the first time that this had happpened.

And that is fine for AKK. He is happy on DCL, you are happy switching to whatever cruise line suits your needs.

Why bother to debate the benefits and downfalls of Carnival with him?

You will never win and will never change his mind.

A bit like me and you about shorts in the MDR's! :p

A dead end conversation going round and round.

Wanna play tic-tac-toe some time??? lol!

ex techie

Very true

Where do we play?

:D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by declansdad View Post

His problem is that he has closed his mind to Carnival and nothing anyone says will ever change his mind.

I find it interesting you know me so well.

The only thing I have closed in my mind about Carnival is their lack of safety regarding their passengers. If you had ever really read my posts you would know that.

Beyond that.....Carnival is Carnival.........2 short cruises years ago, I see reports of the things we had back then, so.....not my cup of tea, yet I enjoy RCL and will be on NCL this summer. So I a not a DCL only groupie.

I have come down on DCL for a number of things.....the way the child molester being sent to India was handled, the Magic's condition when returned to service last month. I even ran a thread on the Carnival Triumph, when she was broken down in the Gulf and being towed. Fully stating the Crew did a hell of a good job and supporting the things carnival were doing . IE the towing to mobile, etc.

I have also posted a number of times that right now I don't think the Spendour or the Triumph or the Sunshine has any safety issues as with these 3 vessels have taken care of them in the yards.

Respectfully, I have no problem with you and we have agreed on some things.

AKK

and if you pay attention on the Disney park forums you will hear many people complaining about how cost cutting and management have ruined the parks and let them go downhill.

I was a bit dismayed with the condition of Disney World, faded signs, old monorails, rust, water spots on the ceiling of it's a small world.

However, Disneyland is still very well kept.

Edited by mshe

I had the opposite experience at Palo on the Magic.

A lady in a yellow bikini was sunning on the deck outside the windows. Apparently the windows are mirrored so she took some time to pose in front of a window and carefully adjust all of her bikini straps oblivious that below here was a waiter that caught on. He whistled and the other waiters came running over and very excitedly enjoyed the show. It was hilarious and apparently not the first time that this had happpened.

:D Yep, I've read about that one before!

I know this very dear girl who is built (literally) like a Barbie doll. I would like to hate her for that, but she's just too doggone sweet. The only thing is, she's fairly young and likes to wear thong bikinis and low cut dresses. On Disney cruises. And I've read on the DIS, and even overheard while onboard, a LOT of moms complaining about their young kids seeing "that"...or those. ;)

Personally, if I were still young and built like she is, I'd probably dress like that, too. Although I honestly wouldn't on a Disney cruise. Maybe in Vegas.

I just got off the Magic and didn't see any inappropriately dressed folks.

But my corneas still sting from being on the Carnival Fantasy 14 years ago!

There is no comparison.

-----------------------------------------

Disney Fantasy - November '14

Disney Magic - November '13

Coral Princess - August '09

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - May '08

Holland America Oosterdam - March '06

Carnival Fantasy - March '99

It sounds like some people would like it if those of us with nice figures chose burlap sacks I stead of clothing. I'm not talking about a thong bathing suit, I don't wear one, but why not a bikini? I have the figure for it--which took a LOT of hard work to get. I also wear lower cut dresses, cut low enough to show cleavage, but not so much that I need any sort of special bra, which is the defining factor in my opinion.

Seriously, you see a lot more skin on Dancing With the Stars or American Idol than what some seem to be complaining about.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

I don't complain about it. I'm an adult and have seen my fair share of bodies. I wish I HAD a body like some of those gals.

I think people complain if their kids see it....but my thinking is that kids need to learn that it's just a human body. The more of a big deal you make about it in front of your kids, the more the kids are going to be overly curious....

I did mention earlier that I've seen just as much cleavage and butt cheeks on Disney as I have on any other cruise line....which is just my observation that people will dress how they want to dress, and Disney is no exception to that.

Which became even more obvious when Disney folded and decided to change their policy about (no) shorts in the dining room. They had to give up thinking that "Disney people" want to dress up for dinner, when in fact, a lot of them don't.

Edited by MizDaisy

I just got off the Magic and didn't see any inappropriately dressed folks.

But my corneas still sting from being on the Carnival Fantasy 14 years ago!

There is no comparison.

-----------------------------------------

Disney Fantasy - November '14

Disney Magic - November '13

Coral Princess - August '09

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - May '08

Holland America Oosterdam - March '06

Carnival Fantasy - March '99

Right because 1 cruise 14 years ago is indicative of the line.

TwinPrincessMermaid, I agree!

Back to the original topic, the Disney Dream looked like a luxury liner from the early 20th century. Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer would not have looked out of place. Anyone get that?

The Disney touches are subtle and not cartoony. If you are cruising for the cruise experience and not for a place to sleep between ports, you might appreciate it. I did, and enjoyed walking around making pictures, even of the public restrooms! The theming is everywhere and I mean Art Deco, not Disney.

It's like when we went to WDW and stayed at the Polynesian. I had thought why stay there when you stay in parks all day. Well, when we stayed there, we spent more time in the resort than normal. We also appreciated the monorail transport with a scooter. It was just a different experience and sometimes, I'll pay for that. Sometimes, I'll stay at a value resort and save a bundle.

I say try it and see what works for you.

TwinPrincessMermaid, I agree!

Back to the original topic, the Disney Dream looked like a luxury liner from the early 20th century. Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer would not have looked out of place. Anyone get that?

The Disney touches are subtle and not cartoony. If you are cruising for the cruise experience and not for a place to sleep between ports, you might appreciate it. I did, and enjoyed walking around making pictures, even of the public restrooms! The theming is everywhere and I mean Art Deco, not Disney.

It's like when we went to WDW and stayed at the Polynesian. I had thought why stay there when you stay in parks all day. Well, when we stayed there, we spent more time in the resort than normal. We also appreciated the monorail transport with a scooter. It was just a different experience and sometimes, I'll pay for that. Sometimes, I'll stay at a value resort and save a bundle.

I say try it and see what works for you.

Excellent Post!

Been on both lines and found that they each did things better than the other. Carnival had better MDR food than Disney but Disney had a much better buffet. Other than the class of cabin, they weren't all that different but we did like the separate shower and wash rooms on Disney.

We found the crew was great on both and had no problems. Disembarkation was much easier on Disney but we did need to get up earlier to do it.

Right because 1 cruise 14 years ago is indicative of the line.

I agree!