Carry On Bag-United Flights

CruznRagtop

This may not be the best place to ask this question, but all of you have been helpful so I thought I'd try:

On United's international flights, the carry on bag must not exceed 45" and 15 lbs. Are these bags weighed before one is allowed to board? I'm fine on the dimensions, but when I weighed the packed bag, it is 16.5 lbs. "pared down."

Thanks for sharing any experiences in this area!

If it looks heavy it might be weighed.

FWIW Lufthansa in LAX did weigh DD's carryon bag. Of course it was overweight and it was no problem.

They only airlines she flies that are stringent with the weight are the European carriers ie RyanAir and Belle Air.

Edited by SadieN

Count me among those who had their cabin bag weighed by LH…

My personal rule is this: abide by the most restrictive luggage rule for all the airlines I am traveling on for my trip. Sure, BA has a 50 lb rule (who in their right mind is going to be able to lift 50 lbs over their head into the overhead!!!), but if my connecting flight is on an airline that has a 15lb limit, BA's limit does me no good - I can't complain to the agent, "but, BA let me have 50lb on the flight today…"

If the overheads are getting full by the time you board (and if you don't have First Class/Business/elite status/priority boarding, that will be the first chance you have to board), the gate agents will start forcing those with the larger bags and those who look heavy to gate-check. If your bag cannot fit under the seat in front of you, be sure to have a foldable tote bag that you can quickly put the things you absolutely need in-flight and your valuables in. That way, you can let them check the bag and take the tote onboard and put under the seat.