Aussie currency in New Zealand

GAJE

New Zeland has their oun currency. So does your other stops. Check to see if your ship will have the different currencies on board to purchase. Mine does even though for the bigger countries, Australia and New Zeland, I'll be getting my currency before my trip starts.

Think of it like Canada and the US, not easy spending one's money in the other country.

Have a great trip.

Don

Will we need Australian currency while in New Zealand? Also, what about Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia? Hoping to not have to worry about having too many different currencies.

Thank you,

Betty

Definitely separate currency's for NZ and Aus. Don't know about Fiji, Vanuatu & New Caledonia.

A lot of Asian Country's for example will take US dollars - but Australia & NZ don't - got to be local currency.

Will we need Australian currency while in New Zealand? Also, what about Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia? Hoping to not have to worry about having too many different currencies.

Thank you,

Betty

Fiji, Vanuatu and NC have their own currency. But you can convert AUD when you get there too and depending what you're buying it may be just accepted (but they will give change back in their own currency).

AUD was readily accepted in Fiji, Vanuatu and Il de Pins (New Caledonia) on our last visit to the South Pacific. Didn't make it to Noumea because of a cyclone but I understand their own currency is preferred and there is a place on the docks to change AUD into Pacific francs. However as a city you can use your Visa/Mastercard easily and I have heard the big tourist shops accept AUD.

AUD was readily accepted in Fiji, Vanuatu and Il de Pins (New Caledonia) on our last visit to the South Pacific. Didn't make it to Noumea because of a cyclone but I understand their own currency is preferred and there is a place on the docks to change AUD into Pacific francs. However as a city you can use your Visa/Mastercard easily and I have heard the big tourist shops accept AUD.

Your advice is appreciated!!

On a related note, in exchanging money before we leave, would we (generally speaking) get a better rate at Wells Fargo or our local bank? What experience have any of you had with Wells Fargo? Any other exchange sites might I investigate?

Thank you!

Betty

Your advice is appreciated!!

On a related note, in exchanging money before we leave, would we (generally speaking) get a better rate at Wells Fargo or our local bank? What experience have any of you had with Wells Fargo? Any other exchange sites might I investigate?

Thank you!

Betty

Betty,

I'm checking out CXI Currency Exchange, http://www.ceifx.com, but I don't see them having a branch office in KY. They have a branch office here in Orlando just a few miles from my house.

Don

Betty....Check with your bank. They will most likely give you the best conversion rate and not upcharge you. I just got back from AU. My bank had a high rate just to use an ATM out of the country. Also since the ATM is not from your "bank" they will also charge you.

I was lucky, my bank did not charge for a USD to AUD. :)

Edited by Dancing Shoes

Yes check. My husband was in China for ten days and the debit/credit card he normally uses wouldn't work. So he got ATM money as a cash advance with a Westpac card I did not expect him to use; got $353 Australian, fees were $20! It is not surprising that our Aussie banks are highly profitable.

I just returned from New Caledonia and Vanuatu. We used our Aussie dollar there. We had lots of small notes on us - $5s and $10s. We did that so we didnt have to stress too much about change. In Noumea we booked and paid for a tour once we got off the ship - they had everything advertised in AUD and gave change in AuD as well. We went to a patisserie after our tour and they took aud, not sure about change as our bill came to $20. Vanuatu they took AUD and a mix of change with local currency and AUD. as log s you have low denominations of currency and don't mind not getting change then go ahead and take AUD. New Zealand will differently need NZD.

Carly

I just returned from New Caledonia and Vanuatu. We used our Aussie dollar there. We had lots of small notes on us - $5s and $10s. We did that so we didnt have to stress too much about change. In Noumea we booked and paid for a tour once we got off the ship - they had everything advertised in AUD and gave change in AuD as well. We went to a patisserie after our tour and they took aud, not sure about change as our bill came to $20. Vanuatu they took AUD and a mix of change with local currency and AUD. as log s you have low denominations of currency and don't mind not getting change then go ahead and take AUD. New Zealand will differently need NZD.

Carly

Great advice, Carly! Thank you.

Betty

• 2 months later...

You will need New Zealand dollar for NZ but can use Aussie in the other ports. ATMs are a good back up. Nz$ is about $0.30 lower than Aussie so Australia will definitely refuse any nz$

My advice get currency exchanged as much as you think you'll need at home as our money exchanges vendors are not great value, an ATM would give you a better rate. 4 digit pin required signatures for credit cards are being phased out by mid 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will need New Zealand dollar for NZ but can use Aussie in the other ports. ATMs are a good back up. Nz$ is about $0.30 lower than Aussie so Australia will definitely refuse any nz$My advice get currency exchanged as much as you think you'll need at home as our money exchanges vendors are not great value, an ATM would give you a better rate. 4 digit pin required signatures for credit cards are being phased out by mid 2014.Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OOPS ..Bit out of date there sweetie

The Aussie dollar and the kiwi dollar are almost on a par, with the Aussie dollar going down. :(

You cant use Aussie funny money in NZ.:D

Monday, February 17, 2014 NZD/ AUD 1 = 0.93

Monday, February 17, 2014 AUD/ NZD 1 = 1.08