Need for Swiss Francs?

SOShrink

Our Holiday Market cruise will be ending in Basel where I believe we are docked for 2 nights. There will be at least a full day there where there will be a Basel walking tour or an optional day trip to Lucerne. Should we purchase Swiss francs ahead of time or use an ATM there, or simply not worry about it?

Our Holiday Market cruise will be ending in Basel where I believe we are docked for 2 nights. There will be at least a full day there where there will be a Basel walking tour or an optional day trip to Lucerne. Should we purchase Swiss francs ahead of time or use an ATM there, or simply not worry about it?

There are ATM's everywhere and yes you will need Swiss Francs.

ATMs or if you need them before you can find an ATM the reception desk on your boat usually can exchange dollars to Swiss francs for you.

Edited by oysterdam

Euros were happily accepted everywhere in Basel, Lucerne and Zurich. We even got change in Euros (bills + coins).

We were told that many Swiss do much of their shopping in Germany because prices are so much cheaper, so Euros are in wide circulation in these areas of Switzerland.

If shops take Euros, be aware that you will get an exchange rate that favors the merchant. If you are going to be in Basel for 2 days, I would recommend getting Swiss Francs. As mentioned, there are ATMs all over the place. Switzerland is very expensive.

USD to CHF is approx $1 = Fr 0.9, USD to € is 0.73

If you want to know rough prices McD big mac is Fr9, Starbucks standard coffee approx Fr 7.

However, eating and drinking local food/wine/beer is more reasonable but still expensive. Expect to pay Fr15 for pizza, FR12 for 300ml wine, Fr3.5 for 330ml coke.

Euros are very widely accepted as most of Switzerlands tourist trade, and 25% of the workforce, live in surrounding countries, Germany, France, Italy etc. Go to local places off the tourist trail and prices are ok.

If shops take Euros, be aware that you will get an exchange rate that favors the merchant. If you are going to be in Basel for 2 days, I would recommend getting Swiss Francs. As mentioned, there are ATMs all over the place. Switzerland is very expensive.

We just got back from Basel and Lucerne 10 days ago. Yes, buy CHF. Most places will take euros but at an exchange rate of about 1 to 1, and as another poster stated Switzerland is extremely expensive with a dinner for two around 200 usd or even much higher. We watched the locals and found the least expensive food to be at the co op grocery stores or the small deli inside the train stations.

I never felt ripped off by merchants when I paid cash with Euros.

The problem was when I used Visa or Amex -- despite my request to be billed in Swiss Francs (to take advantage of CapitalOne and Amex good rates w/o fees) I was regularly billed in dollars, at a poor exchange rate. And of course the waiters claimed that it was impossible to undo.