Where does HAL dock at St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. ?

shrimp56

Usually Crown Bay: however, a few HAL ships do dock at the West Indian Company dock.

You can check the schedule for your cruise:

http://www.**********/general_usvi/cruiseship/ship_schedule.php?i=1&m=12&y=2013

I have no idea why the board doesn't like the above link. Google...."U.S. Virgin Islands Cruise Ship Schedule" to find site.

Edited by ScriptOhio

I sure hope the goliath ships are not there when you are. Too many cruise ships at a time. No fun shopping and some even say there are too many people on the beach. If you are in Crown Bay, you can take transportation to Charlotte A. We had an excursion leave us off in town and took a local jitney back up to Crown. (open air bus). Cheap. They leave you out on the road the ship is docked at and then you walk to the ship.. one half or 3/4 mi.

The open air safari style taxis usually drop riders at Little Swizerland (across from the flea market) in Charlotte Amalie. When ready to return to the ship, it is easy to find a taxi as they constantly drive up and down the street calling out to people asking if ready to ride back to the ship. I believe the fare from Crown Bay to downtown and back is $4 pp each way.

I sure hope the goliath ships are not there when you are. Too many cruise ships at a time. No fun shopping and some even say there are too many people on the beach. If you are in Crown Bay, you can take transportation to Charlotte A. We had an excursion leave us off in town and took a local jitney back up to Crown. (open air bus). Cheap. They leave you out on the road the ship is docked at and then you walk to the ship.. one half or 3/4 mi.

We've always boarded and left the taxi in front of the little building at the port. They cannot enter any closer to the ships.

There are the shops and then the dock that one needs to walk in order to return to the gangway. We also have to clear through the small security gate.

We've always boarded and left the taxi in front of the little building at the port. They cannot enter any closer to the ships.
Well the one we caught wasn't going to the ship, and left us off with a 1/2 mile walk up from the main road.

Well the one we caught wasn't going to the ship, and left us off with a 1/2 mile walk up from the main road.

Ahhh, we always verify with the driver exactly where we'll be dropped. They tried a few times to say we would be dropped downtown at a spot we knew was inconvenient. As soon as they understood we knew the area well, they agreed to take us where they were supposed to drop us.

Doesn't the contract with Crown Bay mean they will go there as long as there is room?

As far as I understand that is correct. Only if the Crown Bay is not available then they will go to Havensight or anchor. I believe one exception to their guaranteed berths is if the Allure or Oasis are in port as these can only berth at Crown Bay due to their size. I was told that the larger Princess ships don't like using the North Berth at Crown Bay which is why they go to Havensight and leave HAL next to the Oasis or Allure instead.

Edited by bishop84

Interesting......

HAL ships to dock in Crown Bay, St Thomas instead of Havensight

Jan 26, 2007

Cruise ships of the high-end Holland America Line now will go to Crown Bay rather than Havensight under a deal approved Wednesday.

The nearly 10-year agreement - which took effect Jan. 1 - is similar to one reached in the fall with Princess Cruises. Both pacts offer the lines financial incentives in exchange for bringing a minimum number of passengers to Crown Bay.

The agreement with Holland America Line guarantees that at least 48,000 of its passengers are brought to the territory during the first year; 80,000 in each of the second, third, fourth and fifth years; and 100,000 in the sixth through 10th years.

The cruise line can receive rebates for exceeding the required minimums. If more than 54,000 passengers are brought in the first year, the Port Authority will reimburse the line for $54,490 of the per-passenger fees it paid. Those fees total $9.35 per passenger for the first five years of the agreement and can be increased by no more than $2.50 per passenger over its second five years.

If more than 90,000 passengers are brought in the second year, the line will receive $84,150. If more than 100,000 passengers are brought in the third, fourth and fifth years, the line will receive $140,250. And in the last five years of the agreement, the Port Authority will reimburse the line $91,254 if it brings more than 110,000 passengers to the territory and $210,000 if it brings more than 120,000.

The Holland America Line pact expires Sept. 30, 2016.

The Princess agreement, which took effect Oct. 1, aims to bring a minimum of 230,000 passengers to the Crown Bay facility per year.

Under that agreement, which is expected to generate at least $2.15 million in fees annually for the Port Authority, the cruise lines agreed to pay for the minimum amount of passengers - also based on $9.35 per person - whether they bring them all or not. If Princess and its affiliates bring in between 325,000 and 350,000 passengers, the authority will reimburse the line for $292,000 of the wharfage dues it paid. If the company exceeds 350,000 passengers, the authority will pay $479,000.

http://www.*****************/threads/hal-ships-to-dock-in-crown-bay-st-thomas-instead-of-havensight.6370/

The forum doesn't like this site either. :mad:

I really don't mind where we dock, but I don't like the uncertainty. This year, HAL's website and e-docs had us docking at Crown Bay; the port listing had us docking at Crown Bay; and the ship's daily activities publication had us docking at Crown Bay. We docked at Havensight!

Next February we are sailing with Celebrity. According to their general website, we are being tendered, but the itinerary with my reservation information has us docking at Havensight. I haven't checked the port listing, but it probably has us at Crown Bay!

With perhaps 6 or less ships a day, you'd think that advance scheduling would be a simple thing. Preparing an accurate, rolling schedule for the month ahead should not be so very difficult.

Edited by Fouremco

We used to enjoy walking to town from Havensight. It was just a right distance for us. We never felt safe or comfortable walking from Crown Bay and it is a bit further.

Of course this being the internet, someone has a different point of view :) I quite enjoy the walk from Crown Bay. I'm ready for a couple of beers when I get to town.