Excursion Recommendations for 3yo & 10 mo old

cruisinmama!

Hi All,

We will be sailing on Allure in August 2014 on the Eastern Caribbean itinerary with our 2 boys who will be 3 and 10 months at sailing. We have done this same itinerary on Oasis once before, and are not comfortable leaving the boys on board by themselves while we are in port, so we are fully prepared to either stay on the ship during port days or just wander around on our own if need be.

That being said, if any of you who have little ones and have been on this itinerary (Nassau, St. Thomas & St. Maarten) and have any suggestions on excursions or beaches that might be a good option for us we would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much!!!

:)

In Nassau you could do a day pass at a hotel (Hilton, Sheraton), go to the zoo, and Blue Lagoon looks very tame (but I think I'd want to be closer to the ship with the baby - I remember bringing one of my kids to the beach for the first time, only to find out he hated it).

They could get some pool and beach time at the hotels, and the water is very gentle on the beach.

Both St. Thomas and St. Maarten have easy access beaches. A guidebook would be most helpful finding out which beaches will suit your family!

If you decide not to go about, staying on the ship will be like being on your own yacht....it will be virtually empty on port days!

Blue Lagoon in Nassau is very child friendly but it is about 20-30 minutes in a ferry from the ship. Iirc they had regular ferries back to the ship, but it would not be easy to pack up and leave quickly. The beach is sheltered and very suitable for young children.

St Thomas is notorious for its "open air safari bus" transportation. I would suggest finding an alternative, there were plenty of taxis with seatbelts and I had no problem using our car seats. I don't recall anything within walking distance, we enjoyed Coral World and Coki beach with our boys who were 5&3 yrs when we went. You could walk in the water and see fish, ds2 and I had a grand time at Coki beach!

We just walked around the port area in St Maartin so I'm no help there. I do remember thinking a stroller could be used in this area, although ds2 was on my back in the ergo carrier.

If you're up for a bit of a hike, you can walk to the beach that is in town in St. Maarten. There you can rent chairs and umbrellas and that would be great for little kids. PP is right about the scary open air buses in St. Thomas. We've been on them a lot when it was just the two of us, but I wouldn't feel safe with little kids flying around on them. It would be a shame to miss those beautiful beaches though so maybe you could set up a private tour/car for a few hours and go to Magens or Coki.

Honestly? I'd skip them. We just did our own thing with dd last year. We'll do the same this year. IMO, that's too young to be predicable.

St. Thomas is cool just to walk around, though they do have the Butterfly Garden.

Nassau has the Ardastra Gardens, Zoo and Conservation Center we may do and the Pirates of Nassau Museum. I'll a list of things to do for each port, but I don't think we'll book anything through the ship, just in case. There is Atlantis aquarium as well, but it's pricey, imo.

If I'm allowed to link: http://www.nassauparadiseisland.com/what-to-do/families/things-to-do-with-children/

Frankly I think tours would be wasted on children of that age especially anyone that requires extensive travel on a bus or alike. At that age we took ours to the beach. Research a good one handy to the port and spring for a cab to get there. If you can rent a cabana or a free standing umbrella all the better. Even at three months the little one will get a lot more enjoyment out of a splash in the ocean as opposed to a hot crowded bus.

I am a big fan of Ardastra Gardens in Nassau.

We usually just take a cab there from the cruise terminal. The show is nice, but I found it more entertaining just hanging with the birds before or after the show.

This was at least 8 years ago... My younger son was 4 at the time, I think. My daughter was 18 months-ish?

199496_1014210324680_7563_n.jpg

This was 2011.

381830_2570141781994_25395485_n.jpg

I REALLY enjoyed this. Mainly because the kids got to interact with the animals... kinda like a petting zoo.

I had to remind them NOT to chase the birds around, rather, just slowly go up to them and wait for them to come to you.

The flamingos went and started preening them... SO COOL.

336590_2570143022025_1302188077_o.jpg

St Maarten has a Butterfly Garden.. which is nice. It's always cool to do.

St Thomas... Coki Beach/Coral World. that's what we did when they were in the strollers... Either that or just walking around Charlotte Amalie... We'd have lunch at Gladys Cafe.

http://www.gladyscafe.com/

For really authentic Caribbean food. Love that place.

Edited by Mack2

• 1 month later...

Coral World looks cool -- we're traveling with our 18mo in three weeks and I'm trying to figure out things that will be fun for us that she can do, too! I'm sure we'll end up at the beach a bit, but I would like to explore the islands as much as possible.

Any ideas for Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, and St. Maarten? I'm just starting to look, so I will be checking the ports of call board as well. Just thought I'd mention it here, since the baby will eliminate a lot of adventures.

The best thing about people getting off the ship- is that you get to have it all to yourselves. I'd make it a cruise to nowhere and enjoy the features of the ship. The kids won't care about getting hot and sandy at the beach and riding back in uncomfortable taxi's- which is something you have to consider- there will be no child seats in the taxi's

I'm sorry you misunderstood, but I am looking for things to do _on_ the islands. Did not book these ports to sit on a ship! Not worried about holding the baby on my lap in a taxi, either.

I don't think you were misunderstood. The original poster specifically said they were considering staying on the ship, so Rebecca was giving helpful input.

I don't think you were misunderstood. The original poster specifically said they were considering staying on the ship' date=' so Rebecca was giving helpful input.[/quote']

Oh right, that makes sense.

We did that itinerary on Allure in May with DD (2 1/2). We stayed on the ship in Nassau. Walked around the shops in port area in St Thomas & St Maarten. We had planned to do the water taxi to town in St Maarten, but the storms started rolling in early so we went back to the ship. It was great experiencing the ship without any crowds! One of those days I took advantage of one of the port day spa specials while DH & DD napped in the cabin.

We are going to Costa Maya, Roatan, Cozumel, Grand Caymen. We are travelling with our 10 month old. WE would rather avoid a taxi and walk to any sort of activity. (BUT would take a taxi if necessary)

Any ideas for us??

Persoanlly do not want to stay on the ship.

We've only done Western Caribbean itinerary but always get off the ship. In Jamaica we did a plantation tour with lunch and my son (11 mo at the time) loved the music they played :D. We also loved Sunset Beach Resort in MoBay (son 2.5yr at the time). Cayman we've just walked around the port area and done a day pass at the Westin which was great (son was 4yr and daughter 10 mo). In Cozumel we've done shopping in town, Chankanauub and Nachi Cocom beach days with the kids (range of ages both starting around 10 mo). Never had a problem with taxis, tenders or anything! My kids enjoy playing in the sand and we always like to have a pool option.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are going to Costa Maya, Roatan, Cozumel, Grand Caymen. We are travelling with our 10 month old. WE would rather avoid a taxi and walk to any sort of activity. (BUT would take a taxi if necessary)

Any ideas for us??

Persoanlly do not want to stay on the ship.

You don't have to stay on the ship. We aren't the kind of people where the baby HAS to have a nap in a dark room at exactly 10 and 2. Our child was very flexible. We did a western caribbean itinerary last year when he was 9 months old.

In Cozumel we took a ship tour to Tulum. That way our baby sat on our lap in an air conditioned bus for the drive. He road around in a back pack at the ruins and splashed at the beach. Great time. He slept on the bus ride back to the ship.

In Grand Cayman we got off the ship and hooked up with a tour operator who took us to sting ray city and out to a reef to snorkel. I have great pictures of our son petting sting rays. The rest of the family took turns snorkeling off the boat at the reef while my son happily watched from the boat and threw cheerios to the fish.

In Roatan we took a taxi, with our carseat to a recommended snorkeling beach (can't remember the name off the top of my head) and my son played in the sand in the shade while we took turns doing some awesome snorkeling. I have pictures of him napping on a beach chair.

They were full, adventure filled days with a baby who was used to active days ahead of time.

My little ones loved Atlantis at Nassau. I think both yours may be free at their ages. The water taxi to get there is nice too.

For the other poster a taxi to Sea Grape on seven mile beach at grand cayman is great. There are some shady spots they can play in the sand and its not a far ride from port.

Cozumel for kids we go to Chankanaab every time! One of our all time favorite places!

My girls are 5 and 3 and have been cruising every year since 16 mos. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on Oasis with the same itinerary in March. We're going with family who offered to watch my 2 year old (also have 6 year old) during excursions but it just didn't feel right. So I'm staying on ship in Nassua (never cared much for it) and we planned excursions for all of us the other days. In St Martin we're doing a tour with Bernard's. My boys love boats and in St Thomas and the only thing I found that fit all of us on a boat is Kontiki. Both allow for beach time. Hope you have a great time!