If I have to cancel our cruise, do I get my dep

welovedis

Hi-

My family is booked on EOS 2/16/14, I have paid our deposit but not yet made final payment. At about 81 days out now & I may have to cancel this cruise due to an unforeseen circumstances. :(

I did not purchase trip insurance. In looking at the RCCL site it appears as though I would be eligible to receive our deposit back ($750.00) as long as I cancel 75 days prior to the cruise. Since I'm in a bit of an emotional state right now I just want to be certain I'm reading the information correctly. Would it be best to call and cancel or can I do so online?

I'm sorry about your bad news, hope for better times ahead...good news, yes your cruise is fully refundable provided that your TA (if you used one) doesn't have any special rate rules that you agreed to when you paid the deposit and that you are in the US (other countries have other rules)

I like to call when I cancel so I have a name of the rep I spoke with, but I have canceled on line and you will get a confirmation of that via the email you provided. It could take several weeks before they credit your original; form of payment.

Best of luck to you!

BTW- I am ON this cruise and I am sorry we won't get to meet you!

Edited by Familygoboston

To be clear. if you booked through a TA you will need to cancel through them as well. You can only call direct or cancel on line if you booked directly through RCI. Either way your deposit is fully refundable from RCI prior to final payment. (Unfortunately, some TA's will impose their own cancellation fee, however).

As long as you are outside of the final payment date, you may also be able to "move" the cruise instead of cancelling it if you know you'll be able to cruise at a later date. I once moved a cruise three times because of shifting work schedules. Just pick a date far enough out so you have some wiggle room on timing.

As long as you are outside of the final payment date, you may also be able to "move" the cruise instead of cancelling it if you know you'll be able to cruise at a later date. I once moved a cruise three times because of shifting work schedules. Just pick a date far enough out so you have some wiggle room on timing.

This would be beneficial if you used a Next Cruise Certificate to book with. By moving it you would not lose any of the associated benefits.

If you did not use a NCC (and given that your deposit was $750, so I don't think you did) there are no advantages to moving your cruise. You are just giving RCI free use of your money.

Thank you for the responses. I'm sorry I didn't provide more clarity in my original post or my response. I didn't use a TA or any type of certificate. Our booking was done, by us, entirely online, so I shall be sure to cancel within the time frame if necessary. Many thanks & may you all enjoy a blessed holiday season.

Yes, you are able to cancel your cruise anytime before final payment and get a full refund. I hope you will be able to re-book at a later date. It will take some of the sting out of canceling this one.

I just want to clarify that you'll get a refund as long as it is before the final payment due date. If you miss the final payment due date and cancel it after, you risk losing your deposit as penalty.