Why did the price go up?

Morning!

So glad we booked a few weeks ago when we did. I've been watching the price of my Jan 13th Liberty 5-nighter and it's essentially been the same since we booked for all categories.

This morning? Prices went UP... like over $200 up for some cabins. Why?-- especially since there are multiple cabins available in ALL categories.

In fact, I can't remember the last time there were so many unsold cabins this close to a sailing.

Why would the prices go up?

Booked in a D2, hoping to snag a price drop on a JS before we sail, we'll see!

Morning!

So glad we booked a few weeks ago when we did. I've been watching the price of my Jan 13th Liberty 5-nighter and it's essentially been the same since we booked for all categories.

This morning? Prices went UP... like over $200 up for some cabins. Why?-- especially since there are multiple cabins available in ALL categories.

In fact, I can't remember the last time there were so many unsold cabins this close to a sailing.

Big sale coming up next week ;)

Prices change frequently. On our March Liberty sailing, the prices just went up $240 per cabin for our grand suite. And that is over $1,000 more expensive than they were 2 months ago when I booked the cabin.

As for reasons why.. I'm sure there are dozens (or more) of factors which drive price changes. My opinion? This weekend is Black Friday shopping, and people doing their Christmas shopping.

Prices change frequently. On our March Liberty sailing, the prices just went up $240 per cabin for our grand suite. And that is over $1,000 more expensive than they were 2 months ago when I booked the cabin.

As for reasons why.. I'm sure there are dozens (or more) of factors which drive price changes. My opinion? This weekend is Black Friday shopping, and people doing their Christmas shopping.

We booked our GS in Oct, two days later prices went up $100 per person. At that time, there were 6 cabins available, after we booked there were five left. Not a single cabin was booked for the past 6 weeks when I checked two days ago. I checked this morning and all GS's are sold out. Weird. I guess people were worried about sale next week and moved to scoop these up.

We booked our GS in Oct, two days later prices went up $100 per person. At that time, there were 6 cabins available, after we booked there were five left. Not a single cabin was booked for the past 6 weeks when I checked two days ago. I checked this morning and all GS's are sold out. Weird. I guess people were worried about sale next week and moved to scoop these up.

GS show sold out for NEXT thanksgiving(2014)? Wow.

GS show sold out for NEXT thanksgiving(2014)? Wow.

Grandeur only has 12, and they sell out quickly. I would not be surprised if this cruise gets a ton of bookings this week. Carnival Pride was scheduled to sail out of Baltimore for Thanksgiving week, and last week Carnival decide to send Pride directly to Tampa after dry dock, so they cancelled 3 or 4 cruises out of Baltimore. These cruises will still happen, but they are out of Tampa now instead of Baltimore.

You can still book OS - four of the five are still open...lol

Supply vs. Demand

Maybe. But it is just as likely that RCI is hoping the upcoming WOW sale along with holiday shopping will simply increase the demand side of the equation. I also tend to think that periodically they increase the price hoping that people who have been sitting on the fence will make a move and book as they start thinking that prices may move even higher. If it doesn't work then the pricing goes back down. There is plenty of stragegy that goes into price adjustments.

Very interesting...

So-- *if* the prices drop in a sale next week or anytime leading up to the Jan 13th sailing, I know I can't get a price refund, BUT can I upgrade to a higher category at a new price, even if I've already paid in full?

Yes, you can upgrade, even if paid in full. However, some prices are restricted to new bookings, and they may not allow upgrades on the restricted prices.

Edited by clarea

I just checked our Oasis cruise in February. The D1 cat we have booked went up from yesterday by exactly $100 to the cent. I wonder how much the upcoming sale will be? $100 off???:cool:

Yes, for a 7 day cruise, the WOW credit is $100 per stateroom.

Morning!

Trying to understand and figure out pricing strategies in this marketplace is ridiculous. When we are looking for a cruise (and we are loyal to Royal) we look book what we feel is the price we are willing to pay, using whatever incentives we might have available at the time....and then keep watching for price drops.

Our TA is wonderful and can find us better deals than we have found for ourselves many times....which is why we use a TA.

But I can't lose sleep over 'the logic of the cruise line and their pricing changes' -- I would go crazy.