Liberty tendering operation in Belize City dreadful

How long does it take to get back to the ship. We have a city tour that ends between 11 and 11:30 and then flowrider lessons at 12:20. Just wondering after reading all these posts if we should cancel the tour and stick with the flowrider.

Thanks

Often the excursion end time is the time they get you back to the dock. It doesn't allow time for getting back on board. I was not impressed by Belize when we went there. I'd stick with the flow rider.

Often the excursion end time is the time they get you back to the dock. It doesn't allow time for getting back on board. I was not impressed by Belize when we went there. I'd stick with the flow rider.

I'm starting to think that way. From what I've read and heard we won't be missing much. We were just doing the city tour as it is our first time here but this is also our first time on a ship with the Flowrider and definitely need the lessons to learn how to fall with grace and dignity.

According to this report recently:

Mike Feinstein, of the Feinstein Group, announced at a press conference a proposed US$100 million project for the development of a cruise port at Stake Bank and a shopping zone on North Drowned Caye, about two miles off the coast of Belize City.

The project is being described as 100% Belizian, but Feinstein did indicate that Royal Caribbean intends to invest in the new venture. Royal Caribbean runs the only existing cruise port in Belize. Another port, however, to be built by Norwegian Cruise Lines, has recently been proposed for Southern Belize. The Stake Bank project is also being considered for government approval.

The project has two major aspects. The first is a US$67.5 million investment to build a deep water port at Stake Bank, just four nautical miles southeast of Belize City that allow cruise ships to dock at the pier. The second aspect would build a port infrastructure to garner additional tourism including restaurants, night-clubs and other forms of entertainment for both visitors and Belizeans.

Feinstein says the project could be completed and operational in 18 months once the Government of Belize gives the go-ahead.

The port would be open all cruise lines currently sailing the Caribbean, with Royal Caribbean having already committed to come on board as a major investment partner in the project.

Well, I'm not an early riser and we had no intention of being off first. We didn't get into the line until three or four hours after the ship was anchored. Belize is a mess. And the stop at Belize also causes customs issues when the ship gets back to Florida.

Many posters have asked why the Liberty sailings are so cheap, this is why! Royal Caribbean really needs to address these issues.

###

If I never go back to Belize I won't be missing anything. Guess some love it but I'm not one of them.

I dont think a ship that big should even tender :( I have read several horror stories with the RC ships tender process. I will NEVER book a ship excursion when the prices to book it yourself are maybe half of the ship price. If I ever have to tender I would rather wander around the port and go back at my time maybe an hour ahead of departure time.

I don't agree. We have tendered ashore on the Freedom in Grand Cayman. No issues at all. It depends on the port. Belize is a very long tender ride to and from the ship. Something like 15-20 minutes once the tenders actually leave the ship or dock. Add to that time to fill the tenders.

Edited by cruisingator2

We stopped at Belize on our Dawn cruise in January. I would have to agree that if you don't have an excursion booked, there isn't a whole lot to do, except shop around the pier. Almost every travel site says to not venture out on your own, and it is pretty good advice. They have the pier area fenced off, and well guarded, for a reason.

As far as the tendering goes, ours was a pretty smooth operation both to and from port. You had to get a tendering number, and then wait wherever you wanted to, until your tendering number was called. Those with priority tendering, (Suite Perk), could get in line whenever they wanted to. There was only 1 stairwell you could use to get to the tenders. NCL had reps on every level, monitoring tickets, and preventing line jumpers. This was much more efficient than the tendering process we encountered at CoCoCay aboard the Majesty.

We were in Belize on our one NCL cruise and decided to stay on the ship when we found out:

1- its a long tender ride to the actual port due to the very shallow area

2- the tenders are run by the local authorities, not the cruise lines

and

3- since we didnt have an excursion booked there wasnt much to do.

So, keep these things in mind. While the country itself is beautiful, getting to it from a ship (especially if there is more than one ship in port) will be very stressful.

Steve

I agree that the tendering process can depend on the place. When we went to the Caymans, the tendering process was pretty reasonable. That being said, I'm going on the Liberty next sat 12/7 and it will be my first time in Belize. After reading this thread, I opted to book an excursion through RC rather than private which is probably for the best considering the time issues. Glad this thread was here.

We have not been back to Belize for several years. The last time there and still now(after reading) you can not go anywhere outside of the port area unless you are on a group excursion. No walking around or seeing the "beautiful" countyside just not worth the trouble to get there.

It's been a few years, but I've been to Belize twice. I've taken two nice ship's excursions. The first was a horse drawn carriage ride through the city. The second was a visit to the Belize Zoo and then a boat ride down the river and across the bay. I would recommend either one to anybody looking for something to do there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

Edited by SamFritz

I dont think a ship that big should even tender :( I have read several horror stories with the RC ships tender process....

It's not true for every ship, though. I'm thinking it may be specific to this port in question. Over the years we have tendered and it has never been a horror story or anything but adequate to good.

I dont think a ship that big should even tender :( I have read several horror stories with the RC ships tender process. I will NEVER book a ship excursion when the prices to book it yourself are maybe half of the ship price. If I ever have to tender I would rather wander around the port and go back at my time maybe an hour ahead of departure time.

Belize City is not a place to "wander around". The only good thing about Belize City is to leave it for an excursion or take a water taxi to Ambergris Caye.

We were on Liberty in March of 2013 and the shore excursion/tendering process there was the worst we have ever experienced - even with a ship's tour. It was very chaotic and time consuming - even though the Liberty had been to this port many times in the past. It seems to be an endemic problem with this ship at this port.