Reflection Disembarkation Nov 30

Marshsparrow

Just back from an amazing one week cruise on the Reflection with one major hiccup - missing our flight out of Miami to what I am thinking was linked to horrible disembarkation experience and wondered if others had issues and what I should do about it.

Details - we arranged to do airport transfer with Celebrity (lesson learned), used luggage tags (3 bags) night before and was told to be in theatre between 8:50-9:30. Around 9:40 was told that Customs/terminal was in chaos and we would have to wait. Around 10:00 our number was called and exited to terminal. In terminal proceeded to our carousel - one bag finally came and we waited and waited. Approached Celebrity rep (useless) after about 25 minutes to file missing luggage and was told that in some instances luggage tags come off and to proceed to check other carousels - sure enough, there they were - no luggage tags. Proceeded to LONG customs line - another 20 minutes and then to airport transfer bus - another 20 minutes and then to airport. Arriving at airport - huge lines, got to ticket counter and they had closed the gate about 15 minutes earlier and because of long security lines, blah, blah, blah wouldn't have made it.

We had thought that the 8:50 time would see us off the ship in plenty of time - but with every turn an added delay coupled with the busy travel day - we missed our flight. We were able to make it home after many telephone calls - one included Choice Air which were absolutely useless to us.

This being our second cruise - learned one valuable lesson - walk off the ship yourself and arrange your own transportation!

Do you communicate this to Celebrity? If so, best way? Do they even care? Is this a Miami port thing (or only other experience was Rome - and I actually found that experience more organized)!

I was really left with the bad feeling that once we got into the terminal - Celebrity really didn't give two cents about our bags, our flight details, the fact that we missed our flight, etc.

Thoughts or other experiences?

Know ahead of time that Celebrity will try to pass the buck and blame Cuatoms for every thing. Also not sure that the personnel in the terminal are actually Celebrity employees. They may be port authority employees. That being said, it is worth it to communicate to Celebrity, emphasizing the issues over which they do have control. Did you get the name of the Celebrity rep? Describe how he/she could have been handled it better, concentrating on things like the luggage handling/loss of tags, etc

Also, what time was your flight? If earlier than what Celebrity recommends for that port, well......

Edited by WestLakeGirl

When we disembarked in Miami it was a bit of a mess but I don't believe that Celebrity can do much about it, I always use 2 luggage tags per bag one on the handle one stuck to the bag itself. They cannot control customs or immigration.

You will always have huge lines at the airport since at least 6,000 people are probably trying to get onto flights all at the same time. I have learned to always take the latest flight out as possible and I always request the first off.

we have learned to travel light so in the future would probably walk our luggage off ourselves. This would not of changed the other aspects of your delays.

You did not mention when you flight out was scheduled, also did they not offer the option to have your bags go straight to the airlines? I have done this on other cruise lines and it has worked out well.

Sorry to hear about your issues. Travel problems are never any fun.

What time was your flight?

No excuses but I'm wondering if flying today as it is the Sunday after Thanksgiving would be more busy than the typical Sunday and would require more time than anticipated?

Glad to hear you did get your flights changed and will hopefully make it home today.

I wrote to Celebrity when we had chaotic travel arrangements when disembarking in FLL in April ( Saturday after Easter)

The land based reps employed by Celebrity have 'Save the Waves' badges on.

Our complaint was that :

1) we had to search for someone who could direct us to our transport ( to our day hotel)

2) we travelled to Miami (45 minutes) with hand luggage on our knees.

3) we were given no information about pick up time to take us to the airport.

I was amazed to have a reply, enclosing £75 p.p Future Cruise vouchers, within 2 weeks.

All transport and transfers were booked via Celebrity UK.

I used the vouchers to upgrade from a mid ships balcony to FV.

I agree totally with Marshsparrow about yesterday's debarkation from the Reflection. It was hideous. My party was told to be out of our rooms by 8 and wait for our 9-3:30 debarkation in a special conference room on deck 4 to wait and have refreshments. Of course, we made our way down, and the room was empty and remained so. We eventually made our way into the theater, which was alive with rumor about which numbers had been called, how folks had been advised to just head out, etc. We remained in the theater with no official information and waited as maybe 3 numbers were called over the next 90 minutes. We, too, heard the announcement that the terminal was backed up and that the gangplank was closed until further notice. Shortly, thereafter, slightly after 10, I believe, they announced that everyone could leave en masse and should do so as quickly as possible. The terminal was a disaster, and the lines for customs were almost unbelievable. It also seems that customs was extra snarky yesterday. We didn't make it home until around 12:30 and we live about 10 minutes away from the Port.

My only point of disagreement with Marshsparrow about yesterday's debarkation was the exact point when Celebrity lost all interest in us. It began at dawn-- the moment the ship touched the dock.

I concur that it was a good cruise, and the Reflection is a beautiful ship. I have a few random thoughts about the week, but I'll save them for a later post.

I am sure MIA was a disaster yesterday. Even at its best, it's a nightmare.

Thx for this. Our flight departed at 12:50. Being Canadian, we didn't think that the extra holiday traffic would hit the airport until the Sunday so thought we were safe by cutting the time close - only really starting to panic once we got the airport and saw the long line (there are things that I am going to follow up with the carrier that I did not put in my post that to me did not help the situation). We did get out that night, but from Ft Lauderdale.

I have sent a note off to Celebrity and have basically for future just learned to disembark myself and baggage, arrange own transport, never use MIA again and perhaps only consider Celebrity cruises out of Ft Lauderdale if its better than the Miami terminal.

This in no way ruined our trip aboard the Reflection and any of that experience!

I have sent a note off to Celebrity and have basically for future just learned to disembark myself and baggage, arrange own transport, never use MIA again and perhaps only consider Celebrity cruises out of Ft Lauderdale if its better than the Miami terminal.

If you think there are problems in Miami cruise terminal, our experience rates it as much better than Fort Lauderdale. I try to cruise out of Miami for that reason. But it may have just been a particularly bad day in Miami.

Failing with the ticket agent at the counter for the carrier, we then called Choice Air who we booked the air tickets through. Their only response to our many questions was to "contact the carrier directly", that it was "not their problem" and upon requesting to do a new airline purchase through Choice Air we were told that they couldn't and again told to "go through the carrier". They were professional in their tone - but not helpful in the slightest.

I haven't dealt with travel agents many times before - but it was clear that there was absolutely nothing they were prepared to do to help us get out of our situation that day.

What was I expecting? Some help. Some suggestions. The slightest hint of let us travel experts look into something for you to try and help you out - we didn't receive any of that.

From this, I will take their advice for my next air purchase and only purchase my airline tickets through the carrier - no more $$$ profit for a company that obviously didn't care for our predicament.

Hello fellow shipmates,

My son and I were also were on the Nov. 23, Celebrity Reflection cruise.

We had a wonderful time on the beautiful ship and enjoyed the ever attentive service from the dedicated crew. I am disturbed to hear about your distressing experience with debarkation. My son and I walked off the ship with our luggage just before 8:00 am. We experienced no backup at all, at the gangway or at customs, only 1 person was in front of us. Our problems began when attempting to board the rental car transport. The National, Enterprise buses were twice full at the Celebrity stop, we had to go to the MSC stop and we were grilled at the bus door for our documents before we could enter the bus. Our next problem was at the Enterprise counter where I was denied my prepaid rental car, because my valid drivers license was to be reissued upon my return home prior to my Dec. 6, birth date. I then had to go from Rental desk to rental desk to obtain another car at a premium price, to take us to my waiting family in Fort Lauderdale and the FLL airport.. Sorry to hear about your terrible experience upon disembarkation. We hope the good memories can eventually outweigh the bad.