Upgrade controversy-from Deck 10 J (Virtual Balcony)to Deck 2 I

RCCL automatically upgraded our Category J , Virtual Balcony, to a Deck 2, I, Oceanview on the Navigator. I'm not happy, would you be? Why would moving to the bottom of the ship, with long elevator waits, be considered an upgrade? Deck 10 is much closer to the activities and has better room stewards than the lower decks (mostly GS suites on this floor so they would only put very experienced crew here).

My TA contacted RCCL and got nowhere with them. They say "most people would consider it an upgrade". So, my cruisecritic friends please give me your opinions! I will be calling RCCL tomorrow to talk to them!

RCCL automatically upgraded our Category J , Virtual Balcony, to a Deck 2, I, Oceanview on the Navigator. I'm not happy, would you be? Why would moving to the bottom of the ship, with long elevator waits, be considered an upgrade? Deck 10 is much closer to the activities and has better room stewards than the lower decks (mostly GS suites on this floor so they would only put very experienced crew here).

My TA contacted RCCL and got nowhere with them. They say "most people would consider it an upgrade". So, my cruisecritic friends please give me your opinions! I will be calling RCCL tomorrow to talk to them!

I would personally not consider this an upgrade. There is absolutely no way I would ever stay in a cabin on such a low deck. The virtual balcony concept especially on 10th deck seems really cool. I would definitely contest this or cancel if possibly. Sincerely hope you are able to rectify this.

My TA said RCCL would try to put me off when I called saying they can't touch the reservation so he said to have RCCL put him on a conference call. RCCL is saying they aren't changing all the interior Ks on decks 9 and 10 to J Virtual Balconies, just the ones for 2 people! Talk about discrimination for not bringing the kids along! I can't afford to book 2 rooms-that's our excursion $

My TA said RCCL would try to put me off when I called saying they can't touch the reservation so he said to have RCCL put him on a conference call. RCCL is saying they aren't changing all the interior Ks on decks 9 and 10 to J Virtual Balconies, just the ones for 2 people! Talk about discrimination for not bringing the kids along! I can't afford to book 2 rooms-that's our excursion $

On the deck plan it did show all category k (4people) and category L (2people) being converted to category J. I guess that they are now only converting the category L cabins.

I would guess that it has something to do with how the Pullman beds come down from the ceiling and don't allow enough clearance for the new TV screen (virtual balcony)

I don't see the option to be notified first..??

Here is what my upgrade options looked like:

Upgrade Preferences:

1. I prefer an automatic upgrade
  2. I do not wish to upgrade my stateroom
  3. I would like an upgrade but have restrictions

1. If I am traveling with friends or family and would like our rooms to be near one another
    2. I do not wish to be upgraded to Boardwalk or Central Park balcony staterooms (OA/AL only)
    3. I do not wish to be upgraded into an accessible stateroom
    4. I do not wish to be moved to a lower deck
    5. I would like to stay on the same deck as my current stateroom
    6. I only wish to be upgraded to a stateroom that is near an elevator

Well, now I don't , either! :( I know that is what I selected before, for reasons exactly like this. Sorry if they changed the policy. :mad:

I was wondering about the blue or purple gem in your signature. I haven't seen one like it before.

Edited by ARCruisinNana

You need to set your upgrade preference to Do not upgrade me without consulting me first. Go to your profile to do this.

This does not sound like a C&A upgrade. It seems too far out to be C&A.

I don't see the option to be notified first..??

You have to call C&A to set the option to be notified first. Once they do that, your website selection will have the box checked next to "I would like an upgrade but have restrictions", but none of the restrictions will be checked. However, in this instance, I don't think these options had an effect because I don't think this is a C&A upgrade.

Edited by clarea

This does not sound like a C&A upgrade. It seems too far out to be C&A.

Agree with Bob. It looks like there will be no interior virtual balconies for 4 people which is what the OP booked so they upgraded them to the next best (Oceanview) cabin. Had nothing to do with C&A upgrades.

Sorry this happened to you! It sounds to me like what's happening is as they get closer to dry dock plans and timelines are being modified, thus necessitating some cabin changes. That's unfortunate but understandable.

I do think the affected passengers should be notified and given the option to cancel or choose different accommodations. I don't understand RCI or any other cruise line moving people who selected specific cabins (not guarantees) without notifying them when the move is made.

I had priced out a cat J room a few weeks back and it was allowing 3 travelers. Now the most I can book is 2. They must have changed plans.

Still, would be fair to contact and give an option. But I bet the booking rules allow them to substitute 'equal or better' and they go this route rather then reducing fare or adding obc.

I wouldn't want to be on deck 2 either. Hope you can find a resolution. But it is not "discrimination"........:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

I was just looking at the Js for a September cruise. Funny thing is, when I called a few weeks back, the RCCL agent told me ALL the interior cabins would have the virtual balconies! Ha! Doesn't look like it now!

Couldn't your TA move you to an available J?

That C&A option is very important, I have changed back and forth several times to DO and DO NOT upgrade. Depends on if the cabin is a must have...like the Allure we have in May! Don't touch that dude!

Edited by BecciBoo

It sounds to me like the PP said - they realized they can't currently convert your previous reservation to a J at this time and instead upgraded you to the next best category. It is technically an upgrade, even if not what you wanted.

I bet you will have better luck if you pick on your own a specific room or location you would prefer to be moved to, and ask your TA to request that. There is still plenty of room on the sailing. Maybe a promenade since it's a similar price point to your original J, or the same category OV on another deck.

Edited by PuterMonkey

Heavenlysea, had you booked a specific cabin or a guarantee? If you booked a specific cabin I think you have a very legitimate complaint. At the very least you/your TA should have gotten communication from RCI about the problem and been given some options for cabin selection. If you booked a guarantee then you really have no recourse, because the cruise line can assign you to any cabin that is at least the category you booked or higher.

I selected the room personally. Neither my TA or I received any kind of notice of the move. I just happened to do a ghost booking this weekend to check prices when I noticed the room I had reserved as available.

I didn't see the chance to mark on my cruise preferences to notify of me of any upgrade, that should be something ANY cruise line should do, especially in this case when they are making so many changes.

I will look around the ship to see what's available price wise. Our first cruise was in the late 80's on a NCL ship and we were low in the boat and didn't like it. (Don't remember deck). We don't want to always be waiting for the elevators to go up nor do we wish to feel/hear the engines.

Personally we do not like OV at all. I'd rather be high deck inside or balcony. I do not like OVs, but unfortunately every cruise line feels OV is an upgrade over insides. And I wish they would have an option upgrade but contact us first, but its not worded that way or I guess everyone would select that and slow down their upgrade process. So if you do click one of the others, I think it may discourage C&A from selecting you for an upgrade. Its a no win situation. When I really don't want my cabin changed, that is when I select no upgrade. Other than that its a toss up.

You probably could have selected you don't want a lower deck. I never noticed that one before.