Dealing with winter outerwear

Nisky18

I'm wondering what to do with a winter jacket (and possibly snow boots!) when boarding a cruise ship while shlepping luggage. I might be taking an express bus to the pier so there's no option for leaving the jacket (and boots) on the bus. If a friend drives us we can leave the jacket in the car BUT when the ship returns a week later, where will we be required to WAIT for our return ride (whether by bus or car?) - will it be outdoors and therefore we'd be without our jackets. I haven't seen this issue addressed at all. Can someone please advise me?? We're leaving from New York City in January.

Keep it on. The terminal may be cool and the top deck will be cold for the first few days. Or you could skip the jacket and do 2-3 layers. Shirts, sweater, light jacket.

Thanks. I can do a sweater under a light lined jacket. Maybe I'll ignore the boot idea if there's no snow. I can pack an empty shopping bag in what I bring on board and put the jacket in that if need be. Okay, now to obsess about other things - 32 days to cruise. OMG! Do I invest in a 28" suitcase or bring two 21" overnighters? World peace doesn't hang in the balance. I know.

For my cruise next week I bought a waterproof jacket (Gore Tex) with a hood, and a zip out warm lining. The lining then can be worn as a stand-alone fleece jacket.

I will be leaving from Southern CA on Sunday, early morning. Before you all laugh at me, there are predictions of possible snow where I live this week, less than 50 miles from the airport. Once we reach the ship I'll take out the liner, and stow it in my empty suitcase, leaving me with a thin waterproof jacket that will work for the rain expected in the Caribbean. Before leaving, zip the liner back in and I'm good to go!

For my cruise next week I bought a waterproof jacket (Gore Tex) with a hood, and a zip out warm lining. The lining then can be worn as a stand-alone fleece jacket.

I have this same kind of jacket and used it on my last cruise. It was perfect and very versatile. When I left Virginia in December it kept me very warm and once we arrived in Florida out came the fleece lining and it was great as a lightweight jacket/raincoat. It is not heavy or bulky. I bought mine from LL Bean. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65972?feat=506593-GN3

Edited by Scrapnana

We put our jackets in the front pockets of our suitcases when we arrive at our warm weather destination. I make sure they are empty. We don't wear boots as even if it has snowed recently, the airport is shoveled/plowed and salted. No need for boots. If we arrive home to find snow at the end of our trip, we won't need boots to get to our ride. Our driveway will have been plowed, so we can get into our house without boots.

Edited by sail7seas

I used to go on cruises in the winter when I lived in Michigan, and I would try to go with a light jacket, a sweater underneath, and gloves. No snow boots for sure, maybe sneakers. You don't have to rush off the ship as soon as it docks -- you can have your ride call you when he/she is getting close, or get off according to the bus schedule.

When leaving from a cold weather area to a warm climate, we do layers....I see no need to bring a bulky coat for just a short jaunt from car to inside....reverse that coming home! I don't wear a coat in the car, anyway....there's heat!

If we're cruising from a northern port in the winter, we wear our warmest coats, sweaters, gloves, hats. Being out on deck for departure is especially fabulous in New York, and it can be cold! Once the weather warms up, all those items can just go under the bed, in an empty suitcase, or in the closet. Very worth having for departure and arrival.