Rent car in Anchorage to Seward via Homer

EMED2010

Hello. I am in the early planning stages of a 2015 Southbound cruise out of Seward on Radiance. What I would like to do is this:

Fly into Anchorage, rent car, stay overnight.

Drive up to Denali area and stay over. (How long of a drive from Anchorage to Denali?)

Take shuttle bus in Denali to Wonder Lake - overnight in Denali area.

Drive to Homer to stay two to three nights - possible fishing or bear excursions

Drive to Seward for cruise - possible one overnight prior to cruise.

If the only rental car agency in Seward is Hertz and I really didn't want to use them, where would a car from another company be dropped off? How expensive is the one way drop off?

If we were just going from Anchorage to Seward, I would probably take the train but since I decided to throw Homer into the mix, I will need to hold onto the card.

Edited by EMED2010

When I was researching a similar itinerary earlier this year (my stops were in Homer, Whittier and Girdwood....ending in Seward), Hertz was the only option. I'm pretty sure they still are. Their drop off fee in Seward is horrendous. However, I signed up to become a Hertz gold member and the fee was nearly cut in half. I was also able to swing a military discount. Good luck in your car hunting.

FWIW, Avis has a drop off location in Whittier. I'm not sure if there is bus service from Whittier to Seward, but it might be worth looking in to.

When I was researching a similar itinerary earlier this year (my stops were in Homer, Whittier and Girdwood....ending in Seward), Hertz was the only option. I'm pretty sure they still are. Their drop off fee in Seward is horrendous. However, I signed up to become a Hertz gold member and the fee was nearly cut in half. I was also able to swing a military discount. Good luck in your car hunting.

FWIW, Avis has a drop off location in Whittier. I'm not sure if there is bus service from Whittier to Seward, but it might be worth looking in to.

Okay - I just did a "pretend" booking for 6 days (SUV $110.99/day) totalling $665.94. Then there is an airport concession fee ($75.25), Vehicle license ($9.84), Customer Facility/Maintenance charge ($39.00) and taxes of $120.00 for a grand total of $911.52. Where will it show the drop off fee? Is it in my price or would that be charged on top of the $911.52?

(Oh and thanks for the tip on Avis - I will check that out too)

overnight in Denali area.

Drive to Homer

Just so you know... That's a 460 mile drive. With construction and stops, you are looking at least 12 hours of driving. That is going to be a very long day in the car. I'm not saying it's not doable, I just want you to know what you are getting into.

Your only other option on the rental car is to return to Anchorage after Homer and then arrange other transportation to Seward (train or bus).

Just so you know... That's a 460 mile drive. With construction and stops, you are looking at least 12 hours of driving. That is going to be a very long day in the car. I'm not saying it's not doable, I just want you to know what you are getting into.

Your only other option on the rental car is to return to Anchorage after Homer and then arrange other transportation to Seward (train or bus).

We are fine with long car trips. We drive straight through from Pennsylvania to Florida every year and that's 17-18 hours. BUT I'm thinking about maybe skipping Homer and just going straight to Seward. My options would be to skip either Denali or Homer and I've always wanted to do Denali. Then maybe we could turn the car in and take the train down to Seward. So many choices :D

We are fine with long car trips. We drive straight through from Pennsylvania to Florida every year and that's 17-18 hours. BUT I'm thinking about maybe skipping Homer and just going straight to Seward. My options would be to skip either Denali or Homer and I've always wanted to do Denali. Then maybe we could turn the car in and take the train down to Seward. So many choices :D

EMED2010: While you may be fine with long car trips, do you really want to spend your time in Alaska just driving by the scenery and not being able to stop and enjoy it?

While I love Homer, you might want to consider staying an extra night in Denali, and then driving down to Girdwood for a night before backtracking to Anchorage and turning in your rental car there. Then take the train to Seward and spend two nights or so there.

And also remember that we have a very limited time period here for road construction and maintenance. The local Fairbanks newspaper has already published an article about the upcoming construction season. The Northern Office of the Department of Transportation has indicated that a number of projects which have been years in planning have suddenly come to fruition, and there will be considerable road work on the Parks Hwy, which extends from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Depending on when people will be driving to Denali they could encounter considerable delays during the summer of 2014.

Okay - I just did a "pretend" booking for 6 days (SUV $110.99/day) totalling $665.94. Then there is an airport concession fee ($75.25), Vehicle license ($9.84), Customer Facility/Maintenance charge ($39.00) and taxes of $120.00 for a grand total of $911.52. Where will it show the drop off fee? Is it in my price or would that be charged on top of the $911.52?

(Oh and thanks for the tip on Avis - I will check that out too)

Sorry...I realize what I said was misleading. No, there isn't a drop off fee. I was using that term generically because of the rates they charge if you drop off in Seward. Do that same dummy reservation returning the car to Anchorage, and you'll see the difference.

EMED2010: While you may be fine with long car trips, do you really want to spend your time in Alaska just driving by the scenery and not being able to stop and enjoy it?

While I love Homer, you might want to consider staying an extra night in Denali, and then driving down to Girdwood for a night before backtracking to Anchorage and turning in your rental car there. Then take the train to Seward and spend two nights or so there.

And also remember that we have a very limited time period here for road construction and maintenance. The local Fairbanks newspaper has already published an article about the upcoming construction season. The Northern Office of the Department of Transportation has indicated that a number of projects which have been years in planning have suddenly come to fruition, and there will be considerable road work on the Parks Hwy, which extends from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Depending on when people will be driving to Denali they could encounter considerable delays during the summer of 2014.

I can't agree more with Northern Aurora for so many reasons. Is your 17-18 hour drive from PA to FL on two-lane roads? My guess is that it is on an interstate highway. How about it being a scenic drive with things to do/see, especially along Turnagain Arm south of Anchorage? Do you get stopped from PA to FL multiple times for up to 45 minutes each time for construction? Last summer I was stopped twice for a total of 40 minutes north of Healy for construction.

I drove from Homer to Talkeetna/Trapper Creek one day. It took me about 10 hours just for that with very few stops and no road construction. But I have been to Alaska a lot, so I don't always stop at the same spots for checking things out, photos, etc. It is another 3 hours from Talkeetna to Denali NP. I would say you would be looking at 15 hours minimum without stops for food and gas, especially considering that the AK DOT has already mentioned there will be major construction delays next summer.

I like the idea of skipping Homer. Just go to Seward and spend an extra night in Seward. I also like the idea that, if you take the train from Anchorage to Seward, you also drive south of Seward to Girdwood before you take the train. Very pretty and so much to see/do in this area.

Your trip is a long way off. You may want to be open at this point. With what you have listed, Denali, Homer and Seward, you ideally need to be looking at around 9 -+ days total. :)

I also can't agree more with responders- your comparison with driving to Florida and Alaska couldn't be farther off. There are no similarities and each completely different.

Thanks everyone! You gave some good advice. Since I really only have 6 land days to play with, skipping Homer is the way to go. Maybe we will cut the trip from Denali to Seward in half and stay overnight somewhere in between so we can take our time.

Since I really only have 6 land days to play with, skipping Homer is the way to go.

Just food for thought...Homer isn't too far off the Seward Hwy. When we visited, it was only for a few hours. We pulled into the campground, made ourselves a quick lunch overlooking the water, then went on a short hike. Afterwards, we checked out the town and then left. If it's a nice day on your drive down to Seward, it's worth it to drive out and see Homer.

Just food for thought...Homer isn't too far off the Seward Hwy. When we visited, it was only for a few hours. We pulled into the campground, made ourselves a quick lunch overlooking the water, then went on a short hike. Afterwards, we checked out the town and then left. If it's a nice day on your drive down to Seward, it's worth it to drive out and see Homer.

It is at least a 6+++ hour round trip drive from Seward. Nothing I would recommend. There is plenty to see and do all along the way. It isn't just a "driving" trip, in my opinion. And certainly not a good idea at the expense of some Seward touring.

Fly into Anchorage, rent car, stay overnight.

How about "fly into anchorage; take free transport to lodging; stay overnight; pickup car in town the next day." This will save you some rental time and also picking the car up in town saves you the airport concession fee of $75.

One trick to save a bit of money when you travel is to not pick up your car at the airport whenever possible.

DON

How about "fly into anchorage; take free transport to lodging; stay overnight; pickup car in town the next day." This will save you some rental time and also picking the car up in town saves you the airport concession fee of $75.

One trick to save a bit of money when you travel is to not pick up your car at the airport whenever possible.

DON

Ooh! I like that idea! Thanks!!!!!

It is at least a 6+++ hour round trip drive from Seward. Nothing I would recommend. There is plenty to see and do all along the way. It isn't just a "driving" trip, in my opinion. And certainly not a good idea at the expense of some Seward touring.

Who suggested driving round trip from Seward? I certainly didn't.

What I said was, it was worth it to visit Homer during their drive down to Seward. Big difference.

Who suggested driving round trip from Seward? I certainly didn't.

What I said was, it was worth it to visit Homer during their drive down to Seward. Big difference.

It's still over 6 hours RT out of the way...143 miles one way. Seward isn't too far out of the way if you're on the way to Homer...perhaps that's what you meant?

Edited by mytime53

Anc to Denali is 5 hrs, plus any stops you choose to make.

If you want to stick with your original plan but with a RT rental car, you could do Anc-Denali-Girdwood-Homer-Anc, drop the car then take the morning train to Seward to meet your ship.

day 1 arrive in Anc. overnight

day 2 drive to Denali

day 3 shuttle to Wonder Lake

day 4 drive to Girdwood ( 1 hr south of Anc)

day 5 drive to Homer 3 hrs.

day 6 Homer

day 7 drive to Anchorage 4 hrs.

day 8 train to Seward ( 6:45am - 11am)

www.alaska.org has lots of helpful info ....travel charts, scenic drives, etc

Personally I'd skip Homer before giving up Denali. Your cruise will provide you with scenic coastal views and ports, whereas Denali will be an entirely different experience to anything else on the cruise. Plus it's the budget jackpot for wildlilfe viewing. Hope this helps....

It's still over 6 hours RT out of the way...143 miles one way. Seward isn't too far out of the way if you're on the way to Homer...perhaps that's what you meant?

You are absolutely right. My apologies to you and the op. :o I was confusing Homer with Hope.

But hey, to the op, consider a stop in Hope on your way down. :)

My advice is to check BOTH on-airport and off-airport prices. More than once I have indeed found on-airport prices to be cheaper than off-airport prices when comparing the total "all in" price. There is unfortunately no blanket accurate statement that can say off-airport pick up is always cheaper. That just is not correct.

Anc to Denali is 5 hrs, plus any stops you choose to make.

If you want to stick with your original plan but with a RT rental car, you could do Anc-Denali-Girdwood-Homer-Anc, drop the car then take the morning train to Seward to meet your ship.

day 1 arrive in Anc. overnight

day 2 drive to Denali

day 3 shuttle to Wonder Lake

day 4 drive to Girdwood ( 1 hr south of Anc)

day 5 drive to Homer 3 hrs.

day 6 Homer

day 7 drive to Anchorage 4 hrs.

day 8 train to Seward ( 6:45am - 11am)

www.alaska.org has lots of helpful info ....travel charts, scenic drives, etc

Personally I'd skip Homer before giving up Denali. Your cruise will provide you with scenic coastal views and ports, whereas Denali will be an entirely different experience to anything else on the cruise. Plus it's the budget jackpot for wildlilfe viewing. Hope this helps....

My opinion, better would be to budget in a one way Hertz rental car. This itinerary would be grossly superior without the back tracking Anchorage, and going direct Homer to Seward. Far better uses the limited time they have, and allows some touring of Seward with is plentiful

My advice is to check BOTH on-airport and off-airport prices. More than once I have indeed found on-airport prices to be cheaper than off-airport prices when comparing the total "all in" price. There is unfortunately no blanket accurate statement that can say off-airport pick up is always cheaper. That just is not correct.

I don't know about Anchorage, since I don't rent cars there. But in other cities where I frequently do rent, I too find that it works both ways. Las Vegas is a prime example...one time off-airport saved us $300, but frequently it's not worth the effort, time, and taxi fare to rent off airport. For our upcoming trip, I'm actually saving over $100, due to a rate only available at airport locations. Nothing beats checking and looking for rate savings.

I encountered this last year, I picked up a last minute, airport Alamo deal, that was cheaper than my long reserved Enterprise downtown rental (had rented it during the prior fall, at the low rates).