Questions re travelling with young boys on Allure

Hi all,

My dh and I are taking our two boys, age 4 and 2, on a cruise on the Allure of the Seas. This will be my fourth cruise but first on the Allure and first with kids.

So advice would be greatly appreciated!

Some specific questions:

Does anyone know if milk or chocolate milk is available on the ship? If yes, is there a charge?

Does anyone know the shape of the toilet seats in the interior staterooms? I need to bring a potty seat and want it to fit properly.

Can anyone suggest shore excursions that are preschool and toddler appropriate? We are doing the Western Caribbean. My older boy and my dh might do the submarine one in Cozumel. I am not sure about the other ports. Is there anywhere that has a good playground structure?

Has anyone used the in room babysitting? If yes, how was it! How early in the cruise did you have to book the service?

Do we need to bring our own kid skates to use on the ice rink?

Any MUST dos on the ship?

Thanks!!!

Hi all,

My dh and I are taking our two boys, age 4 and 2, on a cruise on the Allure of the Seas. This will be my fourth cruise but first on the Allure and first with kids.

Some specific questions:

Does anyone know if milk or chocolate milk is available on the ship? If yes, is there a charge?

Does anyone know the shape of the toilet seats in the interior staterooms? I need to bring a potty seat and want it to fit properly.

Can anyone suggest shore excursions that are preschool and toddler appropriate? We are doing the Western Caribbean. My older boy and my dh might do the submarine one in Cozumel. I am not sure about the other ports. Is there anywhere that has a good playground structure?

Has anyone used the in room babysitting? If yes, how was it! How early in the cruise did you have to book the service?

Thanks!!!

Milk is readily available in WJ and in MDR, and I think you can also order it via room service. My wife made some chocolate milk using some hot chocolate powder, but it did not turn out that great. I am not sure if they have any syrup available.

We brought a toilet seat with us, a travel one that sits over the toilet - it worked fine. It was a fold up one.

We used the in-room baby sitting. It is kind of hit or miss. Maybe it will be better on a bigger ship, but you call them the day before, and then they let you know the next day if someone is coming. We did not know for sure until 15 minutes before they were supposed to arrive, which was kind of a pain as we had reservations at Izumi. But, it's $19 per hour. They send two people. On Allure, you will also have Adventure Ocean and Nursery available.

Can't help with the other questions :).

Thanks for letting me know. I guess I will be packing some syrup then! My younger son loves his chocolate milk!

Can anyone else give suggestions re excursions?

The big gears ships may have chocolate milk, so maybe will not need the syrup. We were on smaller ship when there were less than 40 kids on board, so maybe they did not stock any for our cruise.

In Cozumel, my family likes to go to Chankanaab Park. You can get a taxi from the pier, admission is $20 or less per person, and you can do as much or as little as you want. There are lounge chairs on the beach, and there is a little cove where you can walk into the water (no higher than waist deep in the cove) and it's easy-entry for kids to play. You can also snorkel (I'm sure gear can be rented, although we bring our own), get a massage, swim with dolphins, etc. (extra charge for services).

Thanks for letting me know. I guess I will be packing some syrup then! My younger son loves his chocolate milk!

Can anyone else give suggestions re excursions?

No need to bring syrup, there are cartons of chocolate milk in the WJ, if you don't see any, just ask and they will bring some out for you. In the MDR, they will make a glass of chocolate milk with syrup.

One of my kids favorite things was ordering room service for a bedtime snack. We got fruit, cookies, or pizza and then hot chocolate. They bring you packets of instant and hot water. After the first night, I got smart and asked for a milk too, as the hot water is really hot. Milk cools it down and makes it taste better. Something simple, but they loved it.

I wish I'd have packed arm floaties for my youngest. The pool water is either really shallow or deep. (But we were on the Liberty.)

We did the dolphin encounter at Chankanaab. It was great, but be prepared for the expensive photos at the end. They won't let you take pictures. As described by a PP, they have a nice little beach, pool, and a great sea lion show. Plus crocodiles, but we never made it that far.

I don't want to bring car seats and I'm scared of driving in cabs without them...thoughts? The beach would be nice though! I am thinking of doing a beach day at labadee. Should I bring sand toys or are there some there? Room service sounds good! I think I might try it! And I think I might bring life jackets for the pool and the beach. Any thoughts re Jamaica? I did Dunns River in 2003...via the Mariner. I think we docked in a different Jamaican port. I actually found things there a bit scary. Has the climate changed in the past decade? Is Falmouth safer? I was thinking of staying on the ship that day and letting my dh climb Dunns river since it really is fun to do.

I'm not an experienced cruiser, so others may have better info, but I don't think there is much to do besides shop in Cozumel if you don't take a cab. Maybe a horse drawn carriage? Not sure. I understand the car seat concerns. We took a van (RCI booked excursion, they put us on taxis they paid for) and Chankanaab is only a five minute ride. I didn't fear for my life like the cabs in other places. No cliffs or hairpin turns. But there is traffic. You'd have to decide what you're comfortable with.

Have fun!

Will have to think about it. On a different note, are there any theme nights or parties that I should pack something special for?

70's night and 2 formal nights. Some dress for the 20's and go to the Prohibition Party.

As for activities with the kids: royal babies is open for play with parents, carousel rides, see the water/diving shows!, see the sail away Dreamworks show, see the production show Planet Earth, go to the H2o zone, bring floaties for the kiddy whirlpool, go the the Dreamworks breakfast (chocolate breakfast!), see the Dreamworks characters, ride the Rising Tide (it is ok for kids to ride!), walk through central park and grab a Beef Sandwich in Park Cafe. There is lots to do in Labadee. The water slide is okay, I think they have a playground, there are AO activities and crafts, ride the tram, bring your own sand toys, try to get that in room babysitter (call right away when you get on) go to the adult shows too! Ask if you can go to the Black Light Puppet show in AO. Your 4 yr old is not going to want to leave there! In AO, pirate parade too.

If you're interested in the Black Light puppet show, I have some pics of it in my review (in my sig), it was the second to last day, so, it is near the end. Bring your camera everywhere, the Dreamworks characters are always around and they will use your camera to take pics of your family. There is a glow party, wear white or even better, neon clothes and you will glow. :)

Do they supply the pirate clothes? Are parents allowed in the aquanauts section of AO? My four year old is a bit wary of being left alone....I think he'll love it once he's there but it would ease his fears (and mine too) of going in with him at first. In Labadee, is it worth paying for any activity or are my boys too young?

Also, I think I saw somewhere that at least one evening on the ship there is a dance disco night for families? Am I right?

70's night and 2 formal nights. Some dress for the 20's and go to the Prohibition Party.

As for activities with the kids: royal babies is open for play with parents, carousel rides, see the water/diving shows!, see the sail away Dreamworks show, see the production show Planet Earth, go to the H2o zone, bring floaties for the kiddy whirlpool, go the the Dreamworks breakfast (chocolate breakfast!), see the Dreamworks characters, ride the Rising Tide (it is ok for kids to ride!), walk through central park and grab a Beef Sandwich in Park Cafe. There is lots to do in Labadee. The water slide is okay, I think they have a playground, there are AO activities and crafts, ride the tram, bring your own sand toys, try to get that in room babysitter (call right away when you get on) go to the adult shows too! Ask if you can go to the Black Light Puppet show in AO. Your 4 yr old is not going to want to leave there! In AO, pirate parade too.

And the ice show! I forgot the ice show!

Do we need to preregister for the puppet show? Can people without kids come? We are travelling with friends who actually might enjoy seeing it with our boys and us...

Btw, thanks everyone for replying! Keep the suggestions coming!

No, just show up for the puppet show, I dont have kids and I went, I took some pics of AO, too.

And the ice show! I forgot the ice show!

Actually two ice shows, the Monopoly one, Ice Games? and How to Train Your Dragon. :)

I saw a YouTube video that made it seem like Royal Caribbean brings out motorized cars for the kids on the basketball courts...is this true?

That's on Quantum of the Seas which hasn't sailed yet.

Regarding your other AO questions:

You are not allowed past the checkin desk of Adventure Ocean. They will have an open house on the first day and parents and children can visit together then.

On pirate night, they will put pirate makeup on the kids. I don't remember if they give them costume pieces or not. It's not very elaborate.

Also, can anyone suggest a good excursion in Falmouth or should we stay on board?

For specific questions about a port, you can check that board. Here is the link to the Jamaica board; Falmouth is discussed often - just scroll down the board and click on the threads that interest you. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=111 <--click here

Hi all,

Some specific questions:

Thanks!!!

We sailed with DD (2) on Allure in May.

Milk & chocolate milk were very available in windjammer in the am. We would take enough for the day back to the room & put it in the fridge (took out sodas & worked it out with cabin attendant). It wasn't as readily available at other times, but was always free.

We used a potty seat that fit on top of the toilet. It was part of a fold up portable potty (fisher price, sold on Amazon). It works with any toilet.

We used the nursery & highly recommend it! They will feed children if you want, have cribs, toys, etc. We never even considered in room babysitting so I can't comment on it personally. I've read that it is not guaranteed to be offered & must be booked early.

They had ice skates & helmets to fit DD (she was in a toddler 8 or 9 at the time).

There is a small playground on Boardwalk that many don't realize is there--dd loved to climb & play there. She loved the carousel, both aqua shows & toddler mini golf. The character breakfast, face painting & balloon animals were also fun. They had power wheels up on deck several nights, but we never made it. Make sure to register the 2 year old with the nursery on day 1 & pick up a bag of Fisher Price toys for him to use in the room (free).