What Is The Carry On Water Policy on RC?

cjdixon4

OK, I've already read the non-alcoholic beverages carry-on policy for Royal Caribbean, and it's clear about everything but water. While I recognize that technically, water is a "non-alcoholic beverage"", I've heard both "yay" and "nay" concerning it. Has anyone been successful recently at carrying on a 6-12 pk case of water on board? Some of my fellow cruisers in May are first-timers, and they'd like to know. Thanks folks! :)

OK, I've already read the non-alcoholic beverages carry-on policy for Royal Caribbean, and it's clear about everything but water. While I recognize that technically, water is a "non-alcoholic beverage"", I've heard both "yay" and "nay" concerning it. Has anyone been successful recently at carrying on a 6-12 pk case of water on board? Some of my fellow cruisers in May are first-timers, and they'd like to know. Thanks folks! :)

Official policy is that water is not allowed. However, most everyone reports no problem getting it on board.

Official policy is that water is not allowed. However, most everyone reports no problem getting it on board.

I've heard both stories. I'd hate for my friends to purchase a case of unopened water, only to have it confiscated at the entrance.

I've heard both stories. I'd hate for my friends to purchase a case of unopened water, only to have it confiscated at the entrance.

That happened to us, but it had cost us less than $5, so no big deal.

Edited by clarea

People here have reported both putting a luggage tag on an unopened case, or carrying it onboard in a collapsible cooler, and both were not confiscated. Then you read that Bob's (clarea) was, so again, they need to be prepared to "lose it".

Yeah Karen, I do get your point. I was hoping that maybe it was finally "all systems go" with the water. Although it isn't a huge deal we don't want to even bother purchasing it, if they're going to take it away. We'll be OK without it.

We brought a case of 24 bottles onto our last 2 cruises (we were sharing with other cabins). We put a luggage tag on it, AND made sure that the plastic around the bottles was not tampered with in any way. Otherwise, they will probably pitch it thinking that it's not all water. We haven't had any issues.

:)

Edited by Esmerelda

I think it depends on the port you are sailing out of. I have put a 12 pack of water in a suitcase in both Tampa and Port Canaveral and had no problem. The official policy is no water but for that little bit of money I usually try it.

Just got off the 11/30 Oasis and we had no problem. We taped the luggage tag on a case. Thought it was confiscated as all our luggage was delivered prior to the muster drill, but our wonderful stateroom attendant Maria placed it inside while we were having dinner (6pm seating).

I probably wouldn't bring water next time . The water in the dining room and windjammer seemed to taste much better than what we brought (Dasani)

I probably wouldn't bring water next time . The water in the dining room and windjammer seemed to taste much better than what we brought (Dasani)

I do t like how Dasani taste lol

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We take water or water bottles and soda on every cruise we go on and have never had a problem. Been out of San Juan, FLL, PC, Miami, and Tampa. Never an issue. Sometimes we check it in a small tote cooler, sometimes packed in our luggage and sometimes we carry it on. No problems no matter how we take it.

My sisters brother in law is a dock worker for the cruise ships in Bayonne NJ. He has told me that a significant amount of case bottled water gets "confiscated" and not by the cruise lines or govt. if you know what I mean. He said that most dock workers could supply small countries with bottled water for years. This would be referring to case water not concealed in a suitcase or a box. Case water with a tag just slapped on it. They get away with it because "the tag falls off"

I use to haul water on a cruise but when the Britta bottle came out I have been using it. I take an extra empty bottle with me and fill it from the Britta bottle. I keep the Britta bottle full and even the air condition cools it off for me if I do not have a refrigerator. I also ask attendant to keep my ice bucket full and use the ice in the Britta bottle before filling. Works great! 1 filter last me several cruises.

Depends what you consider "recently". Back in March we were on FOS and I taped a luggage tag to the top of a 24 case of water and it showed up in our room with the rest of our luggage...

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Just for clarification, when I stated "recently", I was hoping to hear from folks who have carried on (or attempted to carry on) water in the last year or so. I remember several years ago that some ports had no issue with bringing unopened water onboard, others were a bit more discerning and would confiscate the case. I don't really care how little money I'll lose if it gets discarded, I'd just rather not bother with the purchase if it's a no-no.

You've all given me wonderful input...much appreciated!;)

We take water or water bottles and soda on every cruise we go on and have never had a problem. Been out of San Juan, FLL, PC, Miami, and Tampa. Never an issue. Sometimes we check it in a small tote cooler, sometimes packed in our luggage and sometimes we carry it on. No problems no matter how we take it.

I was wondering about the soda...is it treated the same as bottled water?

We went on Explorer of the Seas on Nov. 23 and had a case of 24 bottles in original plastic wrap and just put a luggage tag on it and handed it to the porter at the pier. It was delivered to our room with no problems.

Pat