Reflection Review - Nov. 30 - WARNING - LONG READ

Host Anne

Not everyone of course has the drink package. I'd think they would keep stock levels steady especially for those who are buying with cash along the way. Many in my group didn't have a package, but I know most did.

It's just always hard to convince me of any conspiracy theories ;-)

I too thought of a conspiracy theory with lack of bartenders and waiter service along with the imposed slow down of orders taken. I was speaking with someone who has done work for Celebrity and they knew exactly how many were with the Pied Piper group and how many had drink packages. (both in the group and independently.) You cannot convince me that management did not know how overwelmed the bar service would be this week. IMHO they chose to ignore the numbers and let the chips (drinks) fall where they may.

That being said it did not deter me from booking with Celebrity for the same cruise next year, with the same group. All though I am not part of the group I was wondering if you could get some feedback from PP management and thier thoughts about the service cuts.

Steve

Hi Anne:

We just left Constellation this morning and loved it, no loud music, no long lines at the bars, perhaps fewer drink packages and only 500 elites on board. We had a wonderful party band, two guitarists, a mediocre jazz band (our opinion because they played to people who only wished to listen since dancing was not possible with their style.) The string trio was outstanding and no a cappella

group. There were three former a cappella singers on board, one was in future sales, one an activities staff and another a guitar/singer. We experienced Reflection last year and have absolutely no desire to return if other ships are available. The rap arrival music was just one example of an experience we did not enjoy. It is so nice to have choice when determining one's favourite cruising experience.

The correction would be for Celebrity, not Host Anne. The Porch ran out of pastrami/corned beef and were serving "REUBEN'S" with roast beef. Luckily they told us ahead of time and we avoided it. But I know some folks ordered the Reuben and were pretty surprised with what they were served.

Host Anne

Thanks for your thoughtful review. I enjoyed reading it and appreciate the effort put into it. My family and I have travelled on Celebrity since the days of the Meridian and Horizon and have seen a steady decline in most all areas. We have since switched mostly to Cunard and RSSC for future cruises.

My question: My son has a one week school break and we are scheduled to be in a Signature Suite on deck 14 in March 2014. Have you heard any reports on those rooms, positive or negative?

Thanks

Barbara

We were on the Reflection for her TA in November. my husband and I were so pleased that there was no loud music by the pool,or in the lobby. Not even at the Martini bar. N[not even Techno music.

Last year we were on the Eclipse and experienced all the loud music that you described.

Perhaps, TAs are more laid back or perhaps there was a change in staff or management after the TA

We found no loud music or long lines at the bars on Nov 1st cruise.:)

I thought the pre-paid gratuities were shared with those who "worked behind the scenes" as well as those who dealt directly with passengers ( as in a restaurant tip-share). The pre-paid concept protects the staff from those who think they have "already paid too much for their cruise".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can't help but wonder and think the overly loud music thing on Reflection has to do with it being 7-day sailing where =X= is targeting a younger clientele?

It'll be interesting to compare when we're aboard Solstice for 18 nights (Aussie/NZ) in February. I can't imagine =X= playing loud techo and rap music on a sailing that long where the average age I'm sure will be 60+.

Interesting thread and interesting theories.

I sure hope that the poor bar service isn't management way of maximizing profits for the week from drink packages. I have done all inclusive with both Seabourn and Regent and never felt that anyone was playing games. We are sailing in January. I am thrilled to hear about the low numbers of children. I am sure it will be a fabulous week.

Anyone stay in an Aquaclass Suite? Hoping it will be as nice as the RCCL Junior Suites we typically enjoy.;)

Edited by suni

As of 11/25 the Michaels Club is now supposed to be the VIP lounge for PH, Royal & Zenith members. Just like the trial run on the Infinity it is supposed to be a VIP lounge all day, every day. Zenith members get the free Premium drink package. What is the point of only offering drinks that are not included in the package?:confused:

Has the Michaels Club not yet been opened as the VIP lounge on Reflection?

Tommy ~ I can't recall if Micheal's was VIP during the day. Never saw anyone in there. But I was told that they are "changing Micheal's."

A great and thoughtful review which will ring the Line's wake up alarm for those areas you rated poorly to be more closely examined.

As a foodie, I have a correction: A Rueben is made with corned beef. A pastrami version is a "Rachel".

Each is delicious!

Andre ~ I hope you are correct about setting off an alarm but I'm fearful it will not. I don't think the situations on board last week were any surprise.

Corned beef or pastrami - neither were served on the sandwich my husband had....and he wasn't told. But it was a loving setting! :)

This was done by design.. the illusion of a bargain = more profit..

Less staff in place to supply and serve the beverage brings the number of beverages served down and the profits up!

rucrazy (I LOVE your screen name) ~ I'm with you on this. They can't continue to give away all the alcohol with no return. Something has to give.

Could the short staffing also have something to do with the recent typhoon in the Philippines? Maybe some of the Filipino staff went home.

I do not believe this had any effect on the number of crew onboard. I was specifically told by the two officers (at different times) that the ship was sailing "fully crewed." That's why I am alarmed. Would have been much better to hear that some crew went home because of the disaster. That was never mentioned.

Hi Anne:

We just left Constellation this morning and loved it, no loud music, no long lines at the bars, perhaps fewer drink packages and only 500 elites on board. We had a wonderful party band, two guitarists, a mediocre jazz band (our opinion because they played to people who only wished to listen since dancing was not possible with their style.) The string trio was outstanding and no a cappella

group. There were three former a cappella singers on board, one was in future sales, one an activities staff and another a guitar/singer. We experienced Reflection last year and have absolutely no desire to return if other ships are available. The rap arrival music was just one example of an experience we did not enjoy. It is so nice to have choice when determining one's favourite cruising experience.

Arno ~ GREAT to hear from you! So, do you think they are planning to leave the M-class ships as is and just "modernize" the S-class ships with the loud music? Enjoy the cold weather. When are you coming south again?

I thought the pre-paid gratuities were shared with those who "worked behind the scenes" as well as those who dealt directly with passengers ( as in a restaurant tip-share). The pre-paid concept protects the staff from those who think they have "already paid too much for their cruise".

Hockeylovinmom (love your screen name too) ~ We did not have "pre-paid" tips (that they used to give you envelopes for). Our tips were the traditional ones that they add to your account during the cruise. They used to add them each day and now they just add a lump sum. Pre-paid tips are for those who choose "select dining," "groups," and the 123GO promotion. I do not believe you can remove any pre-paid tip from your account.

When we began cruising 15 years ago, you tipped your waiter, their assistant, the head waiter and your cabin attendant. Now they expect you to also tip the assistant cabin attendant, the assistant chief housekeeper, dining room management....where does it end? Are we suppose to tip the Cruise Director, the jazz band, the singers and dancers?

Don't get me wrong. I strongly believe in tipping service staff (waiters/cabin attendants) whose pay is tied to gratuities. I'm not in favor of tipping any management getting a regular salary who are doing nothing to earn an extra tip. If a crew member (regardless of what the do), provides great service or does something special, we provide an extra gratuities to them. But I don't want to tip people who are supposed to be providing service and do not.

As for the loud music (including the rap that I dislike so much), I'm fine with it in certain places. But you couldn't get a way from it on this cruise unless you wanted to hibernate outside on the promenade on deck 5. It was piped in everywhere inside during the days and nights. As I said earlier, I'm fine with the Martini Bar, Sky Lounge, even poolside if it's not so loud you can't talk (it wasn't that loud during the days...it was the evening events).

Anne - I was on the Nov. 30 Reflection sailing as well, and maybe I'm crazy (a definite possibility) but I can't say I recall EVER hearing rap -- or at least not blaring, profane or annoying rap. I'm not a fan of rap either but perhaps living in NYC and being in my mid-30s, I'm more tolerant of "urban" sounds. Strange that we would have such different recollections though.

I agree with the majority of your review, particularly the bar staffing/pool waiter problem. It was just terrible. As an experiment, I waited 30 mins by the pool in my chair, trying to flag down a pool butler to take my drink order, to no avail. And of the approx. 12 frozen cocktails I had at the pool bar over the course of the week, I would say 8 of them were undrinkable because the bartenders were so rushed that they made them with too much ice and were therefore too slushy and watered down, or were way too sickeningly sweet. The other 4 drinks were just OK; none were anywhere near as good as the drinks we had by the pool on RCI Liberty a few months ago.

Oh and I thought Alex the CD was AWFUL. I guess he did well on the Summit and they promoted him to the Reflection, but I found him to be snarky and always seemingly lost in "inside jokes" while doing his schtick (which is why I found the Celebrity today shows he did with the Activities manager on tv totally unwatchable).

Hockeylovinmom (love your screen name too) ~ We did not have "pre-paid" tips (that they used to give you envelopes for). Our tips were the traditional ones that they add to your account during the cruise. They used to add them each day and now they just add a lump sum. Pre-paid tips are for those who choose "select dining," "groups," and the 123GO promotion. I do not believe you can remove any pre-paid tip from your account.

When we began cruising 15 years ago, you tipped your waiter, their assistant, the head waiter and your cabin attendant. Now they expect you to also tip the assistant cabin attendant, the assistant chief housekeeper, dining room management....where does it end? Are we suppose to tip the Cruise Director, the jazz band, the singers and dancers?

Don't get me wrong. I strongly believe in tipping service staff (waiters/cabin attendants) whose pay is tied to gratuities. I'm not in favor of tipping any management getting a regular salary who are doing nothing to earn an extra tip. If a crew member (regardless of what the do), provides great service or does something special, we provide an extra gratuities to them. But I don't want to tip people who are supposed to be providing service and do not.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I was getting my terminology confused! (: Most recently we have cruised NCL. The gratuities for the service staff are paid for in advance except for the butler and concierge, who are paid cash ( the discrete envelope at the end of the cruise). Sometimes the travel agent pays gratuities as a perk! We give extra cash for extra special service and usually tip the room steward

( additionally)! We also sometimes give additional tips to those special bartenders or waiters. Without exception, these people have worked hard to make our cruises comfortable and extra special. We don't always tip the concierge, because on some cruises, we don't use their services very much. I have heard rumors that there is "a list" of those who did not prepay gratuities o:

Edited by Hockeylovinmom

Anne - I was on the Nov. 30 Reflection sailing as well, and maybe I'm crazy (a definite possibility) but I can't say I recall EVER hearing rap -- or at least not blaring, profane or annoying rap. I'm not a fan of rap either but perhaps living in NYC and being in my mid-30s, I'm more tolerant of "urban" sounds. Strange that we would have such different recollections though.

I agree with the majority of your review, particularly the bar staffing/pool waiter problem. It was just terrible. As an experiment, I waited 30 mins by the pool in my chair, trying to flag down a pool butler to take my drink order, to no avail. And of the approx. 12 frozen cocktails I had at the pool bar over the course of the week, I would say 8 of them were undrinkable because the bartenders were so rushed that they made them with too much ice and were therefore too slushy and watered down, or were way too sickeningly sweet. The other 4 drinks were just OK; none were anywhere near as good as the drinks we had by the pool on RCI Liberty a few months ago.

Oh and I thought Alex the CD was AWFUL. I guess he did well on the Summit and they promoted him to the Reflection, but I found him to be snarky and always seemingly lost in "inside jokes" while doing his schtick (which is why I found the Celebrity today shows he did with the Activities manager on tv totally unwatchable).

Oh, Dear, Lawrd...are these the two who were on another ship...sat outside the specialty restaurants and tape their videos for in cabin TV? PLEASE, tell me it's not them!!!!!!!!! I still have nightmares!!!!!!!!

Let’s start with the “rap!” Yep, I said “rap!” I like to think of myself as progressive for the most part. I have an appreciation for a wide variety of music. But I draw the line at rap.

REALLY CELEBRITY? Have you ever had a guest tell you on any survey that they want to hear rap on your ships?

I’m perfectly fine with techno music in the martini bar or in the Sky lounge for dancing but I don’t want to hear it played continuously around the ship throughout the day.

What’s even worse is that there were a total of 8 people dancing and two of them were crew.

Add the obnoxiously loud music in the Grand Foyer most of the time that could be heard all the way up to deck 14

and you have to ask who is making the decision on what music to play on Celebrity ships and at what level?

I could not agree more with you Anne , and couple of my favourites is Rapture by Blondie and Walking down Madison with the Rap ending

But most of it is rubbish

There was also someone on another forum complaining about the DJ off on a little trip of his own, playing music that no one would dance to.

etc etc

I was specifically told by the two officers (at different times) that the ship was sailing "fully crewed." That's why I am alarmed.

Giving =X= the benefit of the doubt, do you think the group of 900-1,000 on board, traditionally known as a group that enjoys their drinks and a party atmosphere could have stretched a "fully crewed" ship to their limits? Had this large group not been aboard, would the change in demographics on this sailing, in your opinion, have allowed a fully crewed ship to handle bar service without incident?

Edited by Host Anne

Host Anne;

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm considering a T/A on the Reflection for my return to Celebrity after a number of cruises on Princess. I have a couple of questions about the Reflection. Is there something comparable to Princess' Chef's Table? If so, how does it work and what is the cost. Secondly, regarding Murano's; I thought I read somewhere (I may be mistaken) where there was a higher end dinner something similar to he winemakers's dinner on the Royal Princess.

Thank You in advance for your reply.....:):):)

Bob

Giving =X= the benefit of the doubt, do you think the group of 900-1,000 on board, traditionally known as a group that enjoys their drinks and a party atmosphere could have stretched a "fully crewed" ship to their limits? Had this large group not been aboard, would the change in demographics on this sailing, in your opinion, have allowed a fully crewed ship to handle bar service without incident?

BEAV ~ I'm seeing lots of great screen names on this thread!

I have been on bunches of Celebrity (and other lines) cruises over the years. I've often sailed with groups that enjoy their drinks and party atmosphere. To be honest, I wouldn't classify this cruise, or either groups (there was another good size group onboard) to be over the top partying folks. Sure, everyone was having a good time but I don't think the groups and other passengers for that matter (keep in mind that the groups onboard made up only about 50% of the passengers on this sailing) had anything to do with stretching this "fully crewed" ship.

Here's why I say that. On my last several S-class ship sailings, the bars/lounges were definitely staffed with more people. Take Cafe al Bacio as a good example. There were always two - three people working the counter to make drinks while at least two servers worked the tables and chairs to take passengers' orders. On this cruise, there were only two crew behind the counter making drinks and one server for the majority of the time. On occasion there would be a third person to help out behind the counter but the poor server out front was alone the majority of the time. I've been on all S-class ships now, including Silhouette earlier this year and this was never the case in this area. There were long lines here all week. I can't recall see lines like this on any other S-class ship.

Do I think 1,800 people with the drink package stretches the limits of the bartenders and servers available? Absolutely. People are going to drink more (even non-alcoholic beverages) when they are included. But there was definitely fewer staff at bars than on previously Celebrity S-class cruises, regardless of the demographics.

Host Anne;

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I'm considering a T/A on the Reflection for my return to Celebrity after a number of cruises on Princess. I have a couple of questions about the Reflection. Is there something comparable to Princess' Chef's Table? If so, how does it work and what is the cost. Secondly, regarding Murano's; I thought I read somewhere (I may be mistaken) where there was a higher end dinner something similar to he winemakers's dinner on the Royal Princess.

Thank You in advance for your reply.....:):):)

Bob

Hi Bob ~ there was not any type of Chef's table on Reflection that would be similar to what you had on Princess. Murano is Celebrity's fine dining restaurant. Every meal I've had there has been outstanding. If comparing to Princess, I'd place it a step above the Crown Grill and a little more formal although it does not require formal attire. You can enjoy dinner in here dressed casually. It's a very nice evening. ENJOY!

Hi Anne,

As always, thank you for your wonderful review. I'm sorry to hear about the bartender situation, and the loud music - which, up until 2 weeks ago, had been a major concern for us. I was happy to report that we experienced very minimal loud music on our Eclipse sailing the week prior (and no bar staff issues). Funny how things can differ on 2 ships - but not in a good way. I truly hope you had a one off experience, but it seems clear that 123 GO played a big part in your negative experience. I suppose it all depends on how many folks have the drink package on any given sailing.

As I've often mentioned on here, and I believe you would agree.... that top notch senior officers, such as the Hotel Director, F & B Manager, and Bar Manager are important if not critical to your cruise experience. Perhaps the folks on Reflection were not as on top of things, as the officers on Eclipse. Who knows ? but I trust your judgement, and it's not welcome news.

You might find it interesting that we did not have an Acapella group on our sailing, and I'm not hearing much about them on other ships. Are their days numbered as well ? I hope not.

I've heard (and read) comments, that Celebrity is attempting to appeal to a younger demographic, and that's a red flag for us as well. Perhaps instead of this strategy, they should look at the big picture, by appreciating ALL guests, and not any one age group. IMO, if Celebrity is actually doing this, it could backfire on them.

At any rate, I'm glad you had an enjoyable cruise. Welcome home !

Edited by Host Andy

Hi All

Onboard Reflection now. Just want to help future cruisers by letting them know that while it is far from excellent the bar service experience is much better vs what is described here.

Will describe more when we return. Just wanted to get the info out that it seems like the last cruise was (hopefully) an anomaly.

Kevin