Marina Concierge Veranda versus penthouse cabins

Fairfield Nana

I looked for info on this as I'm sure it has been discussed quite a bit before, but couldn't find anything. What are the pro/cons of booking a concierge class veranda A1-A3 versus a penthouse PH1-3? I realize it is about $1000 more per person, and you probably aren't in your cabin too much on a highly port-intensive itinerary. All else on the Oceania website doesn't really sell the PH class that much, unless the added advance time to book the specialty restaurants is that important--or other reasons???

Thanks for any tips. I also realize this decision has a lot to do with personal preferences. Not averse to spending a bit extra for true added value or other valid reasons--- but I still stop to pick up pennies I might come across in local parking lots.

STRS-Butler-23p.jpg

The Penthouse Suite comes with a Butler, who will be able to do all kinds of things to make your Cruise a more cushy and luxurious experience, but most people will book a Penthouse for the additional SPACE

o-staterooms-3d-a1.jpgo-staterooms-3d-ph1.jpg

Penthouses aren't actually twice as big as a Veranda Stateroom, but they certainly feel like they are!

5Cabin_Penthouse%20Suite_Marina.jpg

It's amazing what a good designer can do with 138 extra square feet

165908.jpg

...and then there are those people who just cannot do without the Walk In Closet featured in the Penthouses.

Just returning from the Marina yesterday, we loved the space in the PH. I have sailed in concierge as well. Great for a solo traveler however cabin 8001 has an extended balcony which is nice, but no butler. Love the extra space and walk in closet.

For us, on a longer cruise, 14+ days, the PH has become a "must" -- (less than that on a port intensive cruise I am satisfied with an outside - we do not use the balcony and I don't think CC class is worth the money).

It's all about the space and the bathtub (on R ships). We love the butler but that is not the critical factor.

So for us the price difference is quite large -- outside vs PH -- but is governed by the length of the cruise.

We have sailed in a concierge level veranda and a penthouse suite on Marina and Riviera. Although veranda cabins are large enough, our next cruise is again in a penthouse. We liked the extra closet space, but we also enjoyed hot breakfast served in our cabin on mornings we had to rise early (e.g. when we had an appointment with a car rental company). The butler always delivered it exactly at the time we asked. The afternoon canapés are also a nice little extra, as is the access to the executive lounge for tea, coffee, finger sandwiches and cookies. We dined in our cabin only once, and ordered from Toscana and Polo Grill menus. The food was not hot enough, so we won't try that again. In lower categories, you can order something from the 24hr room service menu, but choices are rather limited.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have sailed in a concierge level veranda and a penthouse suite on Marina and Riviera. Although veranda cabins are large enough, our next cruise is again in a penthouse. We liked the extra closet space, but we also enjoyed hot breakfast served in our cabin on mornings we had to rise early (e.g. when we had an appointment with a car rental company). The butler always delivered it exactly at the time we asked. The afternoon canapés are also a nice little extra, as is the access to the executive lounge for tea, coffee, finger sandwiches and cookies. We dined in our cabin only once, and ordered from Toscana and Polo Grill menus. The food was not hot enough, so we won't try that again. In lower categories, you can order something from the 24hr room service menu, but choices are rather limited.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Doesn't the Concierge level include the hot breakfast items? I thought that was one of the selling points between veranda & Concierge.

You also have a lounge with Concierge class. Seems to be about the same deal set up.

I personally could do without the tub in the Penthouse, although many including my wife really like it. I would prefer the space in the living area. I would also shave off about 8-12 inches of the closet length and add it to the room. The chair & table set up at the end of the bed, while nice, tend to crowd the room. Overall I think the room has a bit of a crowded feeling due to all the extra furniture in there. I'd be all for pulling the chair by the veranda and the little coffee table by the couch out.

Of course our perspective was skewed as on our recent B2B we did the first half in an Oceania Suite then the second in a Penthouse. No wonder it felt crowded to us.

Edited by ORV

We love the PH for the extra room, larger closets and the butler. On our Sun Splashed Isles cruise this upcoming week, my husband will be recovering from an illness and we will use the butler to pack and unpack his belongs and make life for him a bit easier. We also ordered a scooter and the PH will give us plenty of room to store it. Regardless, we've been traveling in a PH for the past 7 out of 10 years on Oceania and love the perks it provides.

We love the PH for the extra room, larger closets and the butler. On our Sun Splashed Isles cruise this upcoming week, my husband will be recovering from an illness and we will use the butler to pack and unpack his belongs and make life for him a bit easier. We also ordered a scooter and the PH will give us plenty of room to store it. Regardless, we've been traveling in a PH for the past 7 out of 10 years on Oceania and love the perks it provides.

Do you take out the table and chairs at the foot of the bed for the scooter? Otherwise I don't see how you can get it between the chair and the wall. Only about a foot or so there.

We have sailed in both an A3 and a PH3 on Marina, and although they both were enjoyable we came away with a view about when the upgrade is - and isn't - worth the $$. Of course, if price were no object I'd take a PH every time, but that's not the case.

I think for truly port-intensive trips, I'd backpedal to a Concierge veranda, since one really spends not much time in the cabin on those voyages. We did use the Concierge lounge almost every day, to grab a quick breakfast before heading out to our daily port activities. The A3 closet was bothersome as it's small and difficult to access. The shower cabin was tiny but since the retrofit when one can shower in the tub, no longer a problem.

For transatlantic sailings or others when there are more than one sea day in a voyage, I'd spring for the PH. The extra room is much appreciated when spending more time in-cabin during the day. We breakfasted daily at the table near the foot of the bed; a hot breakfast courtesy of our butler. Although you *can* eat a hot breakfast in the Concierge cabin, the very low sofa and the low cocktail table don't make for comfortable meal seating.

The walk-in closet in the PH is also key for longer trips if there are two in the cabin. It's so, so convenient and handy - well lighted and oh so spacious by comparison. Also makes a good place to hide if the butler shows up while one is 'between outfits.' :eek: He heard me through the door just fine. :)

I usually bring my own laptop along not only for the internet but to download photos/movies every day. As a backup I copy them to flash drives. Can you use flash drives in the ship-provided laptops and can you download video from cameras? We've never been on Oceania, mostly HAL. On HAL if you use the PCs in the computer room, you cannot use any other devices on them.

We're on the Marina in April and looking forward to the cruise.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

I usually bring my own laptop along not only for the internet but to download photos/movies every day. As a backup I copy them to flash drives. Can you use flash drives in the ship-provided laptops and can you download video from cameras? We've never been on Oceania, mostly HAL. On HAL if you use the PCs in the computer room, you cannot use any other devices on

Thanks in advance.

Phil

You will need your own laptop or tablet as Oceania will not allow you to download or use any devices on their computers.

Edited by orchestrapal

Do you take out the table and chairs at the foot of the bed for the scooter? Otherwise I don't see how you can get it between the chair and the wall. Only about a foot or so there.

When the scooter is delivered to the room, I am sure the table and chairs have to go. I am not concerned about it. I'm sure this has been done before.

When the scooter is delivered to the room, I am sure the table and chairs have to go. I am not concerned about it. I'm sure this has been done before.

I thought perhaps you had done it before. On one of the newer ships they will definitely have to go.

We will be in a penthouse on the Riviera for the TA, and choose to have the bed set up as twins.

How will they arrange the "dining table and chairs" situated at the base of the beds when there will now be the open space between the two beds? Anyone had that configuration who can explain?

We will be in a penthouse on the Riviera for the TA, and choose to have the bed set up as twins.

How will they arrange the "dining table and chairs" situated at the base of the beds when there will now be the open space between the two beds? Anyone had that configuration who can explain?

When the beds are separated, the nightstand on the bathroom side is moved between them. One half of the split love seat remains at the foot of each bed. The glass topped table is either removed, or moved into the sitting area.

50pg-vertical.jpg Hope this helped, enjoy your cruise! :D

When the beds are separated, the nightstand on the bathroom side is moved between them. One half of the split love seat remains at the foot of each bed. The glass topped table is either removed, or moved into the sitting area.

50pg-vertical.jpg Hope this helped, enjoy your cruise! :D

Thanks Jim & Stan for the explanation, glad to still have the chairs, although the moved table might make the "living room" area of the suite a tad crowded!

I am continually amazed at every nuance and bit of info you come up with - you should publish "The Oceania Bible" and it should be distributed to every newbie!:D

Anyone know how much drawer space is n the concierge level cabins? I noticed a door with one or two drawers underneath located just to the side of the small closet. Is there shelving behind that door? :confused:

That's it The desk also has some drawers for small things & some space in the night tables

Not as much space IMO as the R-ships

Pack light;)

Oh my! I plan to pack light, but with 2 of us in the cabin for 16 days seems almost impossible to fit things in space provided. :eek: is the refrigerator behind the door over the drawers or are there some shelves hidden there? Is there a shelf in the closet? Any shelves in bathroom for toiletries? Sheesh! Guess we could always leave some things in the suitcase under the bed.

Edited by SweetPease
Omission