Diet before cruising?

I find before I go on my cruise, I like to eat as much fruit and veg as possible, with lots of h2o , but of course its all about the walking too for me, before the cruise and during, the cruise. It is very hard though not to be tempted when on a cruise, as its so difficult for me, as temptation is everywhere. However, I do agree, eat as much fruit and veg on the cruise where possible as all these natural sugars are just so good for you, while helping you to lose the pounds! :o

My DH and I try to lose 5 lbs before each cruise so we can indulge while on the cruise. One way we do that is not eating out very much in the month before the cruise. We also try to take the stairs, hit the gym and walk whenever we can while on the ship.

I almost always 'diet' before going on a cruise, usually for one to two months ahead of the cruise. For some reason, a cruise just motivates me to slim down better than almost anything else.

Yes, of course it is better to eat right all the time, but sometimes I need more incentive.

I lost about 15 pounds before our December cruise. On board, I try not to go wild with eating, but I don't diet on vacation either--I eat what I want.

With a 17 day cruise, Christmas, a birthday and anniversary and house guests for a week in December, I gained 3 lbs. back. I did a lot of exercise on board including walking and taking the stairs almost all the time. Since we were on the Lido deck, that meant 104 steps (I counted!) from Deck 7, more from the lower decks, 5 or 6 times a day. It helps!

I am back to exercising at home now and about ready to start my 'diet'--which is really a way of eating that I can maintain for life, I hope. It wouldn't hurt me to lost another 15 lbs, though at 130 and 5'3", I'm technically at an ok weight.

Does anyone diet before cruising to look good in the bathing suit and also adjust for any pounds you will gain from all the goodies on board? I try t just eat healthy two week prior lots of fruits and veggies then while on board drink at least 60oz of water a day but eat whatever I want. Anyone else have any secrets ?

I eat a well balanced diet year round. Never had the need to diet.

working out is the best way to see results. I worked out a month or 2 before the cruise and i feel and look better. i just had more confidence and more pep in my step. simply dieting won't get much done, exercise is the best way. but if you combine exercise and a good diet, you will be amazed with your results. taking long walks helps start you up, then you can increase your speed the more you do it. because of this i was able to wake up early and go to bed late and was able to do a lot while all my friends are still asleep and tired.

I try to eat healthy, rather than diet only at certain times, avoiding eating lots of carbs.

Here is a survey of 23 clinical studies looking at various diets. For the greatest weight loss, and improved heart-health indicators (cholesterol, etcl), low carb diets were consistently shown to be most effective.

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

Just a question for the experienced cruisers . . . Dh and I started a weight loss & fitness journey and don't want to lose much ground on our cruise. I keep hearing about the food, but the pictures are gravies, heavy meats, seafood drowning in butter, and almost no veggies. We've really gotten used to "very light" food (salads, healthy smoothies, almost no meat or potatoes). Are there going to be good, fresh, healthy options for us (not just eat smaller portions, but actual fresh produce) ? We will be on the Ncl jewel (yeah, I've already heard their food isn't that great).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Just a question for the experienced cruisers . . . Dh and I started a weight loss & fitness journey and don't want to lose much ground on our cruise. I keep hearing about the food, but the pictures are gravies, heavy meats, seafood drowning in butter, and almost no veggies. We've really gotten used to "very light" food (salads, healthy smoothies, almost no meat or potatoes). Are there going to be good, fresh, healthy options for us (not just eat smaller portions, but actual fresh produce) ? We will be on the Ncl jewel (yeah, I've already heard their food isn't that great).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

The buffets especially have lots of fresh produce and fruit available. You'll just have to use some will power to avoid the heavier food, dressings, desserts, etc.

I haven't cruised NCL for a while, but most ships in the MDR have healthier options. There are always salads available, and most ships have salmon and chicken on their always available menu. There is always a vegetarian entree each night too, but it is not necessarily light and healthy!

There are usually a couple of fish choices. Also, you can ask for extra veggies, steamed, plain, whatever, and sometimes ask sauces to be left off.

Eating healthily on a cruise can be done, with a little effort and a lot of will power! Good luck.