Cost Cutting in full Swing

jayisgerman

Would someone confirm for me, that we have never seen any day of the week rugs in any of the Vista class ships we have been on, Zuiderdam, Westerdam and the Nordam? I don't think there have been any? Or am I loosing it??????

The ONLY Vista Ship I am aware of having them was the Oosterdam and they were not installed till November of 2011. While I have not seen them since I was last on the Oosterdam right before they were installed I was told by a reliable source they did place them in the elevators. But I believe they discontinued it shortly after they started. I think the carpeting guys made the rugs but due to the number of elevators it is possible that management decided against keeping them.

They were on the Zuiderdam on our 2012 cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to disagree with you but I was on the Zuiderdam this past May for 11 days and also on the Zuiderdam in May 2012 and in her Inaugural Year and there has NEVER EVER been day of the week rugs in the Elevators on the Zuiderdam. The Days of the week Rugs have only been on R and S Class ships and I also believe the Prinsendam. It was discontinued with the Zuiderdam.

They were on the Zuiderdam on our 2012 cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What were? Day of the week mats or linen chair covers? If the former, they certainly weren't there in April of 2012, and I was onboard for 22 days and used all the elevators - nope, no days of the week mats! I have since been reliably informed that they never were there on the Vista ships.:o

If the latter, there were none on our August/Sept Alaska cruise.

What's fun with the day of the week mats is the changing that takes place when you cross the date line. You wake up on Monday and then it becomes Tuesday! When we were on Statendam in February, we re-crossed the date line without stopping at Fanning Island (weather) and then we were back to Monday, only it was really Tuesday by then! Or something like that! I have pictures of the mats that I took during that two day mess and it was a bit funny.

Jim

The ONLY Vista Ship I am aware of having them was the Oosterdam and they were not installed till November of 2011. While I have not seen them since I was last on the Oosterdam right before they were installed I was told by a reliable source they did place them in the elevators. But I believe they discontinued it shortly after they started. I think the carpeting guys made the rugs but due to the number of elevators it is possible that management decided against keeping them.

FYI - the "Day of the week" mats are still on OSDM. They were there in Jul/Aug. As a matter of fact, a couple of nice teens ripped a set off and stored them in their cabin, but we got them back

What about other cruise lines? Are there also comments/complaints on other cruise line threads about cost-cutting?

Yes at least on some of them. I do not read alot on the other boards, but have seen similar complaints. Lets face it..... how many of you go out for a nice dinner and pay the same amount you paid 10 years ago and get the same level of service you got 10 years ago. Something has to give.

Susan

DW and were on the NA for 14 days last month and the cut back were everywhere compared to the last time we sail on Holland two years ago. My pet peeve was the OJ, I would guess it was half fresh squeezed and half frozen concentrate, also we had a suite and no flowers so I companied and we received this peptic arraignment that disappeared after three days.

Nothing ever stays the same and, has been often pointed out, the price has not changed, but real operating costs have gone up considerably. Something has to give and the most obvious will always be in staffing (as in most other industries). We may not like it a whole lot, but there it is.

I agree with you. I think the downward slide of quality and service has affected many industries.....products and services we use everyday in our lives. The "money squeeze" has affected all of us in all areas of our lives. Nothing is the same as it was 10-20-30 years ago. Some changes are for the better, but much is for the worse. Where can you call today and get the call answered by a live person, not a robot....or be forced into a menu?? Just an example. It is very irritating and causes much unhappiness in the general public attitude. Products have been reduced in size, quality, and quantity. Staffing everywhere is severely reduced, causing stress on the employees and the public they serve. I don't profess to know what the answer is, but (as I heave a big sigh) I guess that is just the way it is going to be for the foreseeable future. Personal attention and service is virtually non-existent today, except for a few pocket niches, like a good restaurant (cruise ship or otherwise) or that rare shopping/travelling experience that occurs. Most of the time I wish things would return to the way it used to be (and not long ago either!) but I know it is an empty wish, and acceptance of the current way of things is the path of least resistance. Just my thoughts, though...........

Sorry to disagree with you but I was on the Zuiderdam this past May for 11 days and also on the Zuiderdam in May 2012 and in her Inaugural Year and there has NEVER EVER been day of the week rugs in the Elevators on the Zuiderdam. The Days of the week Rugs have only been on R and S Class ships and I also believe the Prinsendam. It was discontinued with the Zuiderdam.

Lisa, you are correct - the days of the week rugs are also on the Prinsendam :)

Just an opinion from someone who has only cruised a few times but loves it.

Everything has gone up in price -- The don't 'push' formal night so why pay to cover chairs for people who might come in casual clothes.

I won't be in a neptune lounge so.... doesn't effect me.

I'm not snooty or picky about what kind of wine or meet I eat, so if its yummy and cooked for me a served to me and cleaned up by someone else - I'm pretty happy.

I love a vacation, travel flexible and don't over expect.

I don't care what day of the week it is so I don't need a mat to tell me.

I want great service - a nice room and pleasant staff.

Like I said -- just my opinion

I agree with you. I think the downward slide of quality and service has affected many industries.....products and services we use everyday in our lives. The "money squeeze" has affected all of us in all areas of our lives. Nothing is the same as it was 10-20-30 years ago. Some changes are for the better, but much is for the worse. Where can you call today and get the call answered by a live person, not a robot....or be forced into a menu?? Just an example. It is very irritating and causes much unhappiness in the general public attitude. Products have been reduced in size, quality, and quantity. Staffing everywhere is severely reduced, causing stress on the employees and the public they serve. I don't profess to know what the answer is, but (as I heave a big sigh) I guess that is just the way it is going to be for the foreseeable future. Personal attention and service is virtually non-existent today, except for a few pocket niches, like a good restaurant (cruise ship or otherwise) or that rare shopping/travelling experience that occurs. Most of the time I wish things would return to the way it used to be (and not long ago either!) but I know it is an empty wish, and acceptance of the current way of things is the path of least resistance. Just my thoughts, though...........

It's called being progressive.

Progress towards what, well that's a whole different matter. Progress is not always for the better.

Would someone confirm for me, that we have never seen any day of the week rugs in any of the Vista class ships we have been on, Zuiderdam, Westerdam and the Nordam? I don't think there have been any? Or am I loosing it??????

Had them on the Oosterdam and Noordam.

It does seem that there is cost cutting in many areas. Just think about the laundry cost for cleaning all those white jackets on the MDR chairs.

What bothers me the most is the loss of stewards for the MDR and cabins and the downgrading of the quality of meat.

The Danish pasties are also smaller and the quality of fish has gone down.

OK, I am going to jump in here too. On Last Oct's N.A. Med cruise, the ice dispensers in the Lido only worked about 50% of the time. I am referring to every ice dispenser. Sometimes there would be a bin of ice to scoop. Most often not. I would go from one ice dispenser to another and ......NO ICE. It was annoying. I never mentioned it because it didn't really affect an otherwise wonderful cruise, but hey.....what's ice tea without ice?

Hello All -

We just returned from our Westerdam journey and overall had a good holiday. I will write a more detailed review/trip report later (isn't it pesky to have to catch up on work when you return! :D).

--> Neptune Lounge: still no sideboard service and even the sign was removed (which stated you can ask for other items). Our concierge said the hotel manager did not like the sign and told the concierges that "people can just ask you". We did it only once (just for a couple cookies) and it became a major ordeal and made us feel awkward - so never again.

--> Elevator Mats - no more day of the week mats

--> Formal Nights - no more chair covers

--> Captain's Welcome Toast - only done 1 time now, 2nd night in front of the early show. So, if you happen to be seated at dinner that time - out of luck! I guess they are saving that 1 glass of free sparkling wine for another 300 passengers or so. I suppose the rest of us weren're really welcome. Ha!

--> Menus - no more "papyrous style" paper for the formal menus or International scroll menu

--> Bedtime Chocolate - no more HAL coins, just plain milk chocolate in golden wrapper

--> Entertainment - WOW - that was a big letdown and sign of cost cutting. 6 nights out of 7 were song shows/dance shows with the crew they already had on board. No comedians, nothing. 1 Magician, but that was it. I really enjoy a good song/dance show occassionally, but how many times can you sit and watch the same singers and dancers or HAL Cats, just in different costumes and on a different stage background? The kicker to me was this: They now have BB Kings Blues Club every night in the Queen's Lounge. Well - one night they made them the "star attraction" in the Vista. WHAT? I mean, you just switched venues and call it a "show"? Very cheap of them.

Anyway, there was probably more along these lines of "cheapening" the experience. Though we rolled with it and still had a lovely time - it will stick with us.

Jay, we were on the Westerdam for Thanksgiving week in a NL suite. Just a couple of comments on the items above:

Neptune Lounge: We had wonderful service from Mary Jane and Spencer. They went out of their way to offer us cookies, breads, pastries, nuts or anything else whenever we were there. Spencer even went to one of the bars and procured some nuts for my DW when she asked. We would be sitting on the couches and they would come over and offer items not found on the round gizmo near the coffee machine and never made us feel awkward for asking or for their trouble. We never had trouble with the coffee machine ourselves but did notice many who had no idea how to operate the machine, often not even knowing where to place their cups. Finally, we were told that the reason that nothing but dry boxed cereals were offered on the sideboard was because of the carpet that surrounds it. Apparently they can't serve open foods in a carpeted area and this will be addressed during the next dry dock along with adding a sneeze guard. Only the messenger here; only time will tell.

Elevator Mats: We also missed the day of the week mats in the elevators.

Menus: We too were disappointed that the scrolls disappeared for the International Night dinner along with the "Baked Alaska" (such as it is) March being a thing of the past. Yeah, it's cheesy, but it's what we've come to expect.

Night-time Chocolates: It's been a long time since we've seen the coins; last I remember them was in 2009.

Entertainment: Can't comment on anything beyond the BB King's Blues All Star Band, but they didn't just relocate to the Vista Lounge one evening. They did a completely different show there and it was fantastic. So, they didn't just change venues and call it a production; it was a completely new production. I've never seen better entertainment on any line. And, for the record, they do take 2 nights off while appearing in the Queen's Lounge and do mix up their show there as well. Despite all the other cutbacks, HAL should be commended for the BB King's show they are now featured on a few ships, IMHO.

I know how you feel about the experience sticking with you. HAL is offering less today than in the past, which says a lot for us as we've only been cruising HAL since 2008. Those who have been cruising for longer must be even more disappointed in the product. The prices are still low. I think we've come to the point that we are used to the prices but don't like what they aren't paying for any longer.

Edited by 0bnxshs

OK, I am going to jump in here too. On Last Oct's N.A. Med cruise, the ice dispensers in the Lido only worked about 50% of the time. I am referring to every ice dispenser. Sometimes there would be a bin of ice to scoop. Most often not. I would go from one ice dispenser to another and ......NO ICE. It was annoying. I never mentioned it because it didn't really affect an otherwise wonderful cruise, but hey.....what's ice tea without ice?

I agree....but how about no tea?? At a peak times on one day, the tea was empty and/or in the process of being made or something......and the few glasses sitting there had no ice and the ice was slow/half empty, etc. I did see one man filling his "collapsible small ice cooler" at the Lido at the ice machine......perhaps part of the problem? Why not get room service/the room steward to get more ice? Why run the ice machine out in the Lido??? Beats me.........

I agree....but how about no tea?? At a peak times on one day, the tea was empty and/or in the process of being made or something......and the few glasses sitting there had no ice and the ice was slow/half empty, etc. I did see one man filling his "collapsible small ice cooler" at the Lido at the ice machine......perhaps part of the problem? Why not get room service/the room steward to get more ice? Why run the ice machine out in the Lido??? Beats me.........

FWIW, the Lido ice dispensers are just that, dispensers, and don't make ice. They need to be manually filled regularly to dispense ice.

wow we just returned from Princess and pretty much experienced the same thing. Lots of cut backs. Food was awful - not even sandwiches or a yogurt for lunch. Very limited menu in FDR and the shows also nothing to brag about. Same crew on all week except we did have one good comedian. I was attacked when posting my critique however I see you noticed the cut backs also.

When people don't complain the cruise lines will continue to cut back even more. We plan on being very selective when cruising in the future. We have one more lined up and if no improvement we may cut back our cruise travel to land vacations.

Ahoy!

Just adding this to this thread, I too have noticed that the smaller ice cubes provided by HAL have not been as cold as the larger ones from prior cruises.

I've written Mr. Kruise about this development and have yet to recieve a written reply, a voucher or future upgrade.

Fancy that!

Seriously, there are other cruise lines out there. If folks are unhappy with HAL then perhaps a 'break out' would be in order.

Bon Voyage, Good Health Happy Holidays!

Bob