Your favorite thing to do in Western Caribbean ports (Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel)

stefani_

Hello CCers!

I'm looking for your input on what you like to do in the Western Caribbean ports (Labadee, Falmouth, and Cozumel). I am interested in perspectives in terms of excursions, just exploring the port without an excursion, local food, and shopping. (For example, are there nice beaches in any of the locations which don't require joining an excursion to get to?) This list is not exclusive so feel free to provide any and all of your input on the ports!

We will be cruising 12/15 on the Allure (first time!) but are planning to spend most of our port time on the ship to enjoy its amenities unless there is something really spectacular to do in-port. As of right now, we don't have any plans for excursions but we do plan to disembark to walk around, at least for a while, and we would appreciate having some idea of what to do!

Thank you :)

Edited by stefani_

Labadee...free day...just relax on beach

Cozumel...Nachi Cocum

Falmouth...we did Chukka Beach (meh) and are looking for something good to do on our upcoming trip...any suggestions?

And I'll add one to your western itinerary...

Grand Cayman...any good water excursions that don't involve stingrays???

we will be doing this itinerary for the first time in April.

So far we plan to do the following:

Labadee - beach cabana at Nelsons booked

Cozumel - dolphin experience with our kids (6 and 8)

Falmouth - thinking of a day pass t Hilton Rose Hall but at $400 for 4 of us still not sure if will be worth it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We enjoy a cabana on Labadee. If you can snag one on Barefoot Beach (suite beach)- even better.

I like to hire a driver in Cozumel (link here). They'll take you wherever you want to go. Next month we're using their service to head to the less inhabited side of the island, stopping at Playa Bonita for lunch and Playa Palancar for some beach time. Then heading to Chocolateria Isla Bella to buy some chocolates.

Last time I used Toursplaza, we went to San Gervasio Ruins, the Tequila Factory, and Mr. Sancho's. You can read about the great time we had here (start at post 256): Liberty Review

Falmouth- We stayed in the port area and had some jerk chicken and beef patties. I was expecting at the time we stopped there (on the Allure) so food was everything to me, lol.

Edited by Host Faith

Labadee

We have done and enjoyed:

Zip Line

Dragons breath coaster

Water Jet Skis x 3

Did not like water slide waste of money!

Jamaica Man"

We enjoyed

Dunns river falls with caves

Zip lining x 3

Cozumel:

Enjoyed Chakanaab swim with dolphins x 2

Snokelling x 2

Bored when we did

Just shopped

Enjoy

We love Western

Sea Ya

Labadee - Beachin' it

Cozumel - Nachi Cocom for the beach & La Casa del Habanos for cigars

Falmouth - usually stay on ship but might check out the new Margaritaville. Would love to do the Appleton Rum factory but it's a day trip and RCI doesn't run an excursion there.

(If I didn't respond specifically to you, I did still read your post! Thanks everyone, it's all useful information.)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We enjoy a cabana on Labadee. If you can snag one on Barefoot Beach (suite beach)- even better.

I like to hire a driver in Cozumel (link here). They'll take you wherever you want to go. Next month we're using their service to head to the less inhabited side of the island, stopping at Playa Bonita for lunch and Playa Palancar for some beach time. Then heading to Chocolateria Isla Bella to buy some chocolates.

Last time I used Toursplaza, we went to San Gervasio Ruins, the Tequila Factory, and Mr. Sancho's. You can read about the great time we had here (start at post 256): Liberty Review

Falmouth- We stayed in the port area and had some jerk chicken and beef patties. I was expecting at the time we stopped there (on the Allure) so food was everything to me, lol.

THANK YOU for all this detail! I went to check out your review and I must say I love reading about your trips. I'm going through the Allure one now since that's the ship I'll be on :p And I LOVE chocolate, so great to hear about that place! Thank you!

Any recommendations on best places for jerk chicken?

Labadee

We have done and enjoyed:

Zip Line

Dragons breath coaster

Water Jet Skis x 3

Did not like water slide waste of money!

Jamaica Man"

We enjoyed

Dunns river falls with caves

Zip lining x 3

Cozumel:

Enjoyed Chakanaab swim with dolphins x 2

Snokelling x 2

Bored when we did

Just shopped

Enjoy

We love Western

Sea Ya

Did you book water jet skiing through the cruise ship? I don't see it on the shore excursions document from RCL's website!

If you're very active, try Fly Boarding in Cozumel!

I am active and I will definitely look into this! Have you done this before? Did you book through RCL?

Edited by stefani_

Four summers in a row, we've done the western cruise; twice on the Oasis and once on the Allure and the Freedom. That being said, our favorites are:

Labadee: Dragon's Breath Zipline every time! Just awesome:)

Parasailing was wonderful here also; felt very safe

Falmouth:Mystic Mountain with the bobsleds and great jerk chicken!

Dunn's River Falls is a must at least once

Cozumel: Amazing Race was really fun, well run and takes you to places you

wouldn't normally see on a touristy excursion

There is not so much you can do at Labadee but hang at the beach, do the ziplines and roller coaster. Have not been to Jamaica but at Cozumel I would take the ferry to Playa del Carmen. That is a MUST see, the 5th avenue is like a way cheaper St Maarten´s frontstreet. Love it love it.

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I'm greatly interested in a food excursion or anything related to food, really... so if anyone has tips on that, please do share. :)

We have gone to Pancho's back yard a few times for lunch. Last time we went to LA Chosa. We plan on going back there again. It was less expensive than Pancho's and delicious. You need to take a cab to get there.

(If I didn't respond specifically to you, I did still read your post! Thanks everyone, it's all useful information.)

THANK YOU for all this detail! I went to check out your review and I must say I love reading about your trips. I'm going through the Allure one now since that's the ship I'll be on :p And I LOVE chocolate, so great to hear about that place! Thank you!

Any recommendations on best places for jerk chicken?

My pleasure, I'm glad it's helpful! Thank you so much :)

There's a restaurant (The Spice Kitchen) at the port that's pretty good. If you want to leave the port area, Scotchie's is the place to go. It's a pretty long drive though. Check out the Jamaica forum for more information.