What are the best things to buy in St Thomas

springfire

Our cruise on the Allure will take us to St Thomas and my wife and daughter would like to do some shopping. I have been to St Thomas many times but not in the last 20 years and when I did go I always went in the water. They have never been to St Thomas. They both like to shop and know St Thomas is a good place to shop but my question is, What kind of things are good deals to buy in St Thomas? Any help would be appreciated.

Tobacco and liquor are the only things I've found to be cheaper than on the mainland US. Liquor is questionable since it's not really worth the effort and worry that it takes to get it home. Jewelry selection is excellent but unless you are an expert I don't know that you'll save a lot of money. The price of gold doesn't vary very much worldwide so the only thing you're saving on is the price of labor that the designer pays to create it.

The best thing about shopping is the density of the shops and the knowledge base of the employees. There are many shops to choose from. In my town there are 4 or 5 jewelry stores and only 1 or 2 that I would shop at. I've got to drive a few miles to go from one to another. In St Thomas and other Caribbean ports you'll pass 10 in a few hundred feet. Most of them have solid worldwide reputations. Same with cameras and electronics. They have so many shops that the selection is just much greater with in a very short walking distance. The employees seem to know a lot more about their products.

Our last trip we picked up some tablecloths. I don't know that we saved a whole lot but being able to actually see a 10' tablecloth spread out on a table was a lot better than picking it out from a shelf of folded up items or looking at pictures online.

Tobacco and liquor are the only things I've found to be cheaper than on the mainland US. Liquor is questionable since it's not really worth the effort and worry that it takes to get it home. Jewelry selection is excellent but unless you are an expert I don't know that you'll save a lot of money. The price of gold doesn't vary very much worldwide so the only thing you're saving on is the price of labor that the designer pays to create it.

The best thing about shopping is the density of the shops and the knowledge base of the employees. There are many shops to choose from. In my town there are 4 or 5 jewelry stores and only 1 or 2 that I would shop at. I've got to drive a few miles to go from one to another. In St Thomas and other Caribbean ports you'll pass 10 in a few hundred feet. Most of them have solid worldwide reputations. Same with cameras and electronics. They have so many shops that the selection is just much greater with in a very short walking distance. The employees seem to know a lot more about their products.

Our last trip we picked up some tablecloths. I don't know that we saved a whole lot but being able to actually see a 10' tablecloth spread out on a table was a lot better than picking it out from a shelf of folded up items or looking at pictures online.

What a great post! Thanks for the information!

The days of wonderful savings in St. Thomas are long over. Years ago, we used to find good buys but not now. During the worst of the economic troubles of recent years, many jewelry stores lowered the quality of their merchandise and lowered the inventory tremendously. They may now be starting to get back to gold but for several years, the price of gold was so high, the selection was a fraction of what it used to be.

Mr. Tablecloth still has the linens mentioned. Walk Main Street and the side streets and your shopping family members will find plenty of stores but gently suggest to them to get their hopes too high for outstanding bargains or tremendous variety as it used to be.

AH Riise is still present for all these many years and still can be depended upon IMO

If you are docking at Havensight, you may wish to walk next door to Yacht Haven Grand Marina which has lots of shops. When they first opened, they had some high quality stores. Some closed and I'm not sure who are the current tenants. Maybe google might provide updated info.

Edited by sail7seas

• 2 weeks later...

I my opinion, it's not that St. Thomas offers really great bargains any more. They are few and far between these days. I love to shop there because of the selection, especially in jewelry. I have found many unique designs that I haven't seen elsewhere. I usually go to Imperial Jewelers on Dronningens Gade. We have dealt with them for about 30 years and have never had a problem. As before mentioned, the shopping area is close together downtown, so that makes everything super easy.

My husband and I purchased an anniversary ring at Ballerina jewelers. This was 4 years ago before gold skyrocketed. Depending on your budget fine jewelry may be an option. When it was fitted my fingers must have been swollen and then was loose that evening after swimming. So on our next stop in St. Martin they resized it at their store there. I believe they also have a store in NY so if you have any problems there are other options. Save on $$ by wearing it off the ship. Ooops did I say that!

I'm not sure about good deals, but there are some unique items like larimar jewelry. Larimar is found only in the Dominican Republic but is common on St. Thomas. Here is some info...

http://www.vinow dot com/blog/the-story-of-larimar-the-caribbean-gem-175/

You'll have to fix the URL

Also, hook bracelets are a US Virgin Islands thing. the story that I have seen has them originating on St. Croix but they are found on St. Thomas and St. John, too.

http://www.theislandhookbracelet.com/

My husband and I purchased an anniversary ring at Ballerina jewelers. This was 4 years ago before gold skyrocketed. Depending on your budget fine jewelry may be an option. When it was fitted my fingers must have been swollen and then was loose that evening after swimming. So on our next stop in St. Martin they resized it at their store there. I believe they also have a store in NY so if you have any problems there are other options. Save on $$ by wearing it off the ship. Ooops did I say that!

While on St. Maarten back in 2009, my husband bought a stunning diamond ring from Ballerina. The design is unique, and he gets compliments all the time. Both Ballerina and Imperial have large selections of men's rings and other men's jewelry.

I laughed at your Ooops statement. We have always claimed what we bought; and even when we have been several thousand over the limit, they've never charged us. This time we talked about it because we knew that we were going to be waaaaaay over. We decided to bite the bullet and claim everything. I couldn't believe it, but he smiled and passed us through. :D

Our taxi driver took us to a little open air flea market and we had a lot of fun there. Great handmade stuff at a bargain price to remind us of our visit to St. Thomas.

My sons found some cologne that was a bit cheaper than in the states and we bought that as well in the shops downtown.

Other than that we found nothing that we could not get at home for a similar price. Only difference was the stunning views

I'm not sure about good deals, but there are some unique items like larimar jewelry. Larimar is found only in the Dominican Republic but is common on St. Thomas. Here is some info...

http://www.vinow dot com/blog/the-story-of-larimar-the-caribbean-gem-175/

You'll have to fix the URL

Also, hook bracelets are a US Virgin Islands thing. the story that I have seen has them originating on St. Croix but they are found on St. Thomas and St. John, too.

http://www.theislandhookbracelet.com/

Larimar is a beautiful blue color but most of it is sold set in silver. I'm a gold lover and had to search to find a few pieces in gold. I was delighted to find earrings and a ring and the color still pleases me. Shop for the prettiest blue.

If you see something you like buy it because of its beauty or the pleasure it gives you. Do not think you are getting the buy of the century or will retire on the money you saved. :) Lovely things you collect from travels are treasures just for the memories if nothing else.

With the advent of the internet, I don't think the deals you once got are as extraordinary. Know your market before you go-- Dh is a watch collector and didn't see any huge deals (in some cases, like where more tourists tended to congregate, the price was higher!!!)

Palm Passage is in town. If you walk west along the waterfront on the side where the stores are, it's past the Big Kahuna Rum Shack but before you get to The Greenhouse.

The Greenhouse is a restaurant on the water facing street. It is about in the center of downtown Charlotte Amalie. It's a good 'landmark'.

The Flea Market mentioned above is across from Little Switzerland, also on the water facing street. They have t shirts, trinkets, cotton shift sort of coverups/dresses, souvenirs and many copies of designer handbags. Many of the copies are poor quality IMO.

Edited by sail7seas

• 2 weeks later...

We were there just last week......wish we were still there. Not very happy with all this snow here in NY. Cruzan rum 3/$27. Liters. Don't buy anywhere else but in st Thomas ( was more on other islands)

Safe sailing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I look at the linen shops in both St. Thomas and St. Maarten for several things. They have beautiful lace cardigan jackets that I wear on formal nights with a long black dress. I have black/gold, all white, and all gold. They are very reasonable and make a different look with the same dress! I also buy table runners for gifts.

Another favorite item is Rima beachwear. (factory outlet in St. Maarten is the best place to buy!). They have beach covers, caftans, pants outfits, shirts etc in great colors in a polyester that doesn't wrinkle. There are other manufacturers. There is a flea market at the top of the shopping district where you can see many of the items displayed. Be sure to browse and BARGAIN!