Flash Drive found in Constellation Cabin 8181 safe

C 2 C

cruisenut - I know this person. she traveled with us Istanbul to Rome.

Mark is her son, Lauren is DIL.

Ilene works for US Post office Detroit.

email me at pinebro7 @ aol.com and I'll give you her email.

I also called Celebrity.

Thanks So Much!

I thought I posted this once, but it disappeared. sorry if both show up.

cruisenut - I know this person. she traveled with us Istanbul to Rome.

Mark is her son, Lauren is DIL.

Ilene works for US Post office Detroit.

email me at pinebro7 @ aol.com and I'll give you her email.

I also called Celebrity.

Thanks So Much!

I thought I posted this once, but it disappeared. sorry if both show up.

We are glad to hear this is working out. What a coincidence that some cruise critic member would now the person who lost it!

I think we as CC members have a tendency to think we are more numerous on these cruises than we actually are.

I would think the odds of finding the rightful owner of a lost item like this one is really small.

I'm glad it worked out, but would think we should encourage others in the future to just turn in to guest relations.

Personally I would much rather someone try to find me and return something. In this day of the internet it is amazing how you can find someone. I left a complete outfit (what I wore on board) on the Constellation a few years ago, and when I called to check on it 3 days after returning home I was told it would have been disposed of. Guess it wasn't valuable enough, but I sure would have paid to have it shipped to me. Oh well, taught me to double check everywhere in the cabin before leaving and not to put things on the top shelf in the back! :D

Oh, and now I will make sure to check cruise critic if I lose something else! :)

FYI, I read a hint recently that when putting things in the safe, take a small ziploc bag to put items in to keep them from getting caught in the crack in the safe. Great idea!

Kudos, OP! How nice of you to go to this effort! I'm sure it was more likely that the item would be reunited this way than through traditional means.

I am only hoping we are as lucky finding my little one's stuffed animal "Baby Monkey". We left it on the Reflection on Saturday. Our nanny saw the monkey in their stateroom but couldn't find it before we absolutely had to leave. In fact, we all searched frantically in both the kids' room and in ours. We mentioned it to the room steward and have emailed Celebrity lost and found with a picture. I'll call again tomorrow when they are open. My three year old daughter is devastated. I told her that Baby Monkey missed the taxi and had to take a bus home while I frantically look for a replacement. :-(

I think we as CC members have a tendency to think we are more numerous on these cruises than we actually are.

I would think the odds of finding the rightful owner of a lost item like this one is really small.

I'm glad it worked out, but would think we should encourage others in the future to just turn in to guest relations.

Absolutely. I would be miffed if I forgot something and found the finder had used some other route to return an item to me. I would rather it was taken direct to guest relations but a post was put on here saying, if you left x that had pictures of y I gave it to Mary at guest relations at (time) (date)

Absolutely. I would be miffed if I forgot something and found the finder had used some other route to return an item to me. I would rather it was taken direct to guest relations but a post was put on here saying, if you left x that had pictures of y I gave it to Mary at guest relations at (time) (date)

What possible reason would you have to be miffed if someone returned an item to you in a less conventional manner? I would think that your reaction should be one of appreciation, not annoyance.

From a myriad of reports on Cruise Critic it is quite rare for items turned in to guest services to be reunited with their owners if lost during a previous cruise. The OP did the right thing.

What possible reason would you have to be miffed if someone returned an item to you in a less conventional manner? I would think that your reaction should be one of appreciation, not annoyance.

And what if I had reported it missing to Guest Relations or to Customer Service by phone on my return and they had no note of it being found because an unconventional route was used

I think this is something we will agree to differ on but I would want someone who found something of mine to hand it in as is asked in the Guest policies. I would appreciate them finding it and be pleased they did as asked.

I have worked in areas where lost and found has become a very very thorny issue with someone being accused of theft because they did not follow process. Now this is not happening here, but the cruiseline cant have a range of alternatives being used and it is as much to protect the finder as the loser.

Edited by uktog

And what if I had reported it missing to Guest Relations and they had no note of it being found because an unconventional route was used?

I think this is something we will agree to differ on but I would want someone who found something of mine to hand it in as is asked in the Guest policies. I would appreciate them finding it and be pleased they did as asked.

I have worked in areas where lost and found has become a very very thorny issue with someone being accused of theft because they did not follow process. Now this is not happening here, but the cruiseline cant have a range of alternatives being used and it is as much to protect the finder as the loser.

I simply feel that one individual sufficiently motivated to track down the owner is going to have more positive results than had the memory stick been chucked in the lost items box by Guest Relations.

You feel otherwise, and that's fine. As you say, we can agree to disagree on this.

Since a memory stick has little value to anyone other than the person whose memories it contains I think there was a better chance it would come back to the owner this way than by turning it in to guest relations. If it was something of more monetary value, like a piece of jewelry, it would be prudent to turn it in to guest relations and ask for a receipt.

Since a memory stick has little value to anyone other than the person whose memories it contains I think there was a better chance it would come back to the owner this way than by turning it in to guest relations. If it was something of more monetary value, like a piece of jewelry, it would be prudent to turn it in to guest relations and ask for a receipt.

It is a good idea to ask for a receipt. I would have not tought about it.

I always have the FIRST photo on any memory device I use outside of my house a piece of paper with my name phone number and email address. So that if a nice person finds it after I have lost it they have a way to contact me. Better to be proactive than reactively.

Glad you helped get it back to the owner.

Eat more BACON

Kudos to the OP on a job well done here!

As for those who have criticized him for doing what he did, consider the following, had the OP turned the item over to Guest Relations on the ship:

1. The flash drive was found in his safe -- thus left there from a prior cruise. Unless the owner of the flash drive was on a B2B and had changed cabins, the owner was no longer on the ship and thus could not retrieve it from Guest Relations aboard the ship had the OP turned it over to them.

2. So now the flash drive is sitting in Guest Relations on a moving ship. How likely is it that Guest Relations on board the ship would have done anything pro-actively to find the guests who had previously occupied the OP's cabin, even though that information is known to Celebrity?

3. If you think it unlikely that Guest Services on board the ship would have done anything but passively hang on to the lost item, then the return of the flash drive would depend entirely on the owner's realizing where she had left it or might have left it, and then everything else falling into place with Celebrity. Even if the person who lost the flash drive had called Celebrity in Miami upon realizing she had possibly left the flash drive in her safe or elsewhere in her cabin, how long would it have taken for Miami to reach out to the ship to find out if something had been turned in, and for the ship to get the flash drive to the owner (assuming the ship still had it)?

Yes, what the OP did was unconventional, but it was a truly good deed.

Kudos to the OP on a job well done here!

As for those who have criticized him for doing what he did, consider the following, had the OP turned the item over to Guest Relations on the ship:

1. The flash drive was found in his safe -- thus left there from a prior cruise. Unless the owner of the flash drive was on a B2B and had changed cabins, the owner was no longer on the ship and thus could not retrieve it from Guest Relations aboard the ship had the OP turned it over to them.

2. So now the flash drive is sitting in Guest Relations on a moving ship. How likely is it that Guest Relations on board the ship would have done anything pro-actively to find the guests who had previously occupied the OP's cabin, even though that information is known to Celebrity?

3. If you think it unlikely that Guest Services on board the ship would have done anything but passively hang on to the lost item, then the return of the flash drive would depend entirely on the owner's realizing where she had left it or might have left it, and then everything else falling into place with Celebrity. Even if the person who lost the flash drive had called Celebrity in Miami upon realizing she had possibly left the flash drive in her safe or elsewhere in her cabin, how long would it have taken for Miami to reach out to the ship to find out if something had been turned in, and for the ship to get the flash drive to the owner (assuming the ship still had it)?

Yes, what the OP did was unconventional, but it was a truly good deed.

I Agree with the above.

I'm still surprised it was resolved so quickly, but putting it on the ship is one way, albeit the standard way. I'd be happy that initiative was taken in any way.

My opinion is that if the item were of greater monetary value (jewelry, camera, cash etc) I would turn it in to Guest Relations. You could ask for a receipt, but honestly, to what end? They are not going to keep track of this stuff and report back to you that it was returned, or not. You are not going to be on the ship after your cruise is over so how would you ever know? Not trying to be snarky, just thinking through the details.

If I found a smart drive like the OP did, I think I would be more inclined to handle it like they did. I have little faith in lost items being found, even though I would turn in more expensive items as I mentioned, with my fingers crossed they would be in honest hands. For most items there would be little in the way of clues to point me to the rightful owner. And I would not want them found in my possession with the chance I would be accused of theft even if I had honest intentions! What if you had an undeclared $500 ring and were stopped by Customs with no receipt and no explanation. Not likely to happen but why take the chance.

But the odds of getting an item back? Not so great based on my experiences. I left a pair of prescription glasses onboard once and they were never found. I find it very hard to believe they were not turned in as why would anyone want glasses with my prescription?? And yet, they said it was never turned in. My MIL left a medium priced ($75ish) ring in her safe and it was never found (supposedly). In their defense, I am sure each cruise brings dozens of lost items into the pile, and it must be a challenge to deal with them.