1st time cruiser needs help!

intothenature12

Hi everyone! My name is Sam. I am planning a cruise to Mexico (4 day) with my friend in January. We are debating whether to go with Princess or Carnival (or other cruise line, but it seems like they are the only options in Jan). The time that Princess has in Jan actually does not work for us, but we do not mind waiting till later this year to do it (from what we read around, it sounds like most people are saying princess is better than carnival pretty much on everything, so if it's really worth it, we can wait till later). We are not really the party type. We pretty much just want to chill out, read, eat, and enjoy our time on the ocean. FOOD is the MAIN consideration for us since we LOVE to eat. BTW, my friend cannot really take cigarette Smoke Odor, so we are not sure about how that may affect the cabin. Our budget is around $600/per person. We want to see what are you opinions on those two cruise lines in terms of the food and cabin (Princess Sapphire vs Carnival Inspiration). Is it really worth for us to wait until later in the year to go on Princess?

While I would like to encourage cruising as often as possible and as soon as possible, I would wait on princess. We have been on many ships in both Carnival and Princess Cruise Lines. While there are Carnival ships we like and have nor complaints regarding the food, the Inspiration is not one of them.

Since food and cigarette smoke are your main concerns, I am confident you would much rather enjoy Princess.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

No Carnival bashing from me ... but does seem Princess would suit you better

and happens to the best fit for us.

Since smoking is an issue .... Carnival allows smoking on balconies ... while Princess does not. Carnival has more public areas (inside & out) where smoking is allowed. Princess makes some effort to take care of smokers with the indoor cigar bar and a small outdoor area.

As all of us know, food is very subjective ... but we are much happier with Princess food.

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

Carnival is NOT the "party ship" that it used to be advertised to be! You can be as active or staid as you like. Party, or not. Relax, or stay busy!

All ships have smoking areas...avoid them, if it bothers you. The cabin itself should be smoke-free and fresh-smelling.

I am planning a cruise to Mexico (4 day) with my friend in January. We are not really the party type. We pretty much just want to chill out, read, eat, and enjoy our time on the ocean.

Honestly if this is your main objective, then I'd suggest you wait until you have a higher budget, more schedule flexibility and take a longer cruise. 4 day cruises on any line are not known for rest and relaxation.

Save up for a 7 day or longer.

It's worth the wait. No point in taking a cruise that won't live up to expectations simply because your schedule and budget won't allow for anything else.