Where to buy a camera on cruise?

51Frazer

I have been planning on purchasing a camera in St Thomas. Years ago I got a video camera at Royal Caribbean and was very satisfied. Looking to get a Canon SX50. Does anyone know if there is a shop in St Thomas that would have this? Do you know if I am really saving anything getting one there? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Will also be in St Kitts, Aruba and Curacao on this trip. St Thomas is first stop.

Minimal savings over Amazon or B&H. Return policy is iffy unless you cruise a LOT.;)

Used to be great deals over US purchase but the internet has changed that .

Buy it now, learn the ins and outs and take nice photos of your sailaway!

Dave

I would buy it in the US if you can find that model . That model was replaced by the SX60 last January .

I was lucky to find a SX50 locally last march

Good advice thus far, thanks all. I just tried to look for the SX60 online. Saw articles that it may come out in Jan 2014. Hmm, makes me wonder if that might drive the price down of the SX50. I don't have to have the latest greatest model and like getting the most of my $$.

Not sure what stores you have in upstate NY. Locally I have seen the SX50 recently for somewhere in the low 3s. I have an SX 40 and love it.

Love my SX40 too!!!

At this moment, Best Buy and Amazon have the SX50 for $329.

Minimal savings over Amazon or B&H. Return policy is iffy unless you cruise a LOT.;)

Used to be great deals over US purchase but the internet has changed that .

Buy it now, learn the ins and outs and take nice photos of your sailaway!

Dave

AGREED!

Also look at J&R and/or NewEgg

I don't have to have the latest greatest model and like getting the most of my $$.

Cameras have lots of settings these days. If you want to have some good fireplace time with the manual to "become one" with your camera, you need to buy it before you cruise.

I'm going to rent a (big) lens next month for a car trip to Whistler, BC, Canada so I can shoot skiers coming down the mountain. I don't care about the skier pictures, I care about learning that lens in cold conditions with "wildlife" so I can be more ready to use it on our Alaska cruise in July.

If you buy the camera before you go on a cruise, you will have photos of the entire cruise. Even if you could get a good deal on a camera in St. Thomas - which I doubt you will - why lose half your photo opportunities.

As far as warranty, I bought a Nikon grip once in St. Maarten. It had a Nikon USA warranty good for the USA and Caribbean.

Love my SX40 too!!!

At this moment, Best Buy and Amazon have the SX50 for $329.

Canon should give me a commission. I have sold about a half dozen of them for them by showing people the wide range of pictures I take but also the zoom. I also have a Canon 60D.

I would also buy it when you are home.

I have seen where people purchased a camera while in port and some made mistakes in what they purchased or even didn't get all of the components.

When you do it at home you have more time to price it, think it through and a better chance to return it if something is not right.

Keith

I was in St Thomas last week on the liberty, and left there feeling like I found better prices online, they talk up duty free shopping, but really the deals weren't there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Duty free has to do w import and export taxes. It has nothing to do w the price of the object that you are purchasing. B&H buys lots of cameras and probably gets a really good wholesale price for the equipment. You can't or at least shouldn't sell anything for less than you paid for it.

DON

• 2 weeks later...

Just to offer another opinion- I've bought 3 cameras and an extra lens in the Caribbean with mostly excellent results. The savings were minimal, though, but you can ask for freebies such as memory cards, carrying cases, or other items. The prices for Canon cameras are pretty much the same everywhere.

Boolchands in St. Maarten has an excellent store, knowledgable staff, and great customer service. They also have a store in St. Thomas, but it is much smaller and has a limited selection. They sell the same factory cameras that are sold in the U.S- not cheap knockoffs.

I have no concerns buying from them as I've always gotten excellent service and the cameras are always set-up an working before I leave the store.

Although I also shop at the big major online retailers for certain items, I want to personally check out any camera that I'm purchasing. I want to compare side-by-side and speak to a knowledgable salepserson who can help me pick the camera that works best for my needs. For that reason, I'd prefer to buy from a store with a salesperson that knows the business, whether here or in the Caribbean. It won't hurt to look when you are there and see for yourself whether you'll like what you find.

I'd stick with the US. I bought a camera in Hong Kong years ago, and it didn't last long.

I just got my Olympus OM-D E-M1 at BH and the lens on the sale at OlympusAmerica.com.

If the camera was a name brand, I do not think that the fact that you bought it in Hong Kong had anything to do w the problems. Cameras are complicated devices and some arrive DOA and some die shortly after arrival. Did the Hong Kong camera have a warranty in your country of residence?

DON

If the camera was a name brand, I do not think that the fact that you bought it in Hong Kong had anything to do w the problems. Cameras are complicated devices and some arrive DOA and some die shortly after arrival. Did the Hong Kong camera have a warranty in your country of residence?

DON

Many of the cheap name brand camera don't extend there warranty to the US or Canada . My sister wanted to buy a certain piece of electronics in Hong Kong because it was way cheaper. The store warned her that is doesn't have a US or Canadian warranty on it.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a large "grey market" in the Caribbean. However, I purchased a flash for my canon 50d and subsequently changed my mind for the brand name flash. Boolchands in st Thomas were very accommodating and exchanged it via mail without issue.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Well I did get one. I bought an SX50 from buydig.com. Comes with USA warranty. They had different packages to select from.... and all for the same price, $369. Came with an additional battery, 32G card, mini-tripod, lenses cleaning kit and a camera case. I haven't used it much yet but I do like the features.

Before getting this deal I almost jumped on a deal for one that was $100 less than elsewhere. Then thought to conduct online searches to see if there were any reviews. Good thing. They were horrible. Some even said after they checked with Canon they found out the camera they got was a reconditioned camera and they were selling it as if it was brand new. Worth doing the research before you buy.

Now to get through these sub-zero temperatures and head out to sea in 24 days.

Hi 51Frazer

I saw that Watertown was -37. Are you that far north?

That far? No, we are just 50 miles away though on East end of the lake. Makes winters interesting to say the least. Nobody gets as cold as Saranac Lake though.