Soda Card ??

TexasCruiser90

Hello ! I have never cruised HAL before, only RCL. RCL has a beverage card where you get a coke sticker and then you can drink unlimited soda through the duration of the trip. Does HAL have anything comparable to this? I have been looking through their packages, and it looks like it is just a $100 prepaid in non-alcoholic beverages or $50 prepaid in non-alcoholic beverages. Can anyone shed some light on what benefit there is to doing that as opposed to charging the soda each time I want soda, that way I can ensure I don't pay for $50 or $100 and not use the full amount I have paid for. Also, does anyone know if there is any kind of soda package that I may have overlooked?

The "Soda Fountain Value Card" costs $25 for $50 worth of soda. It works like a gift card, where each time the cost of a soda (including the 15% service charge) is deducted, and you get a receipt showing the balance. It is the last card listed in Purchase Indulgences/Beverages before Wine/Champagne.

There is no discount on the other beverage cards, so IMHO their only value is in not getting a lot of receipts that need to be reconciled when you check your final bill.

On all the cards you are refunded any unused balance at cruise end, up to the purchase price. That is, on the Soda Fountain card once you have used more than $25 worth you will get nothing back.

Edited by catl331

I like getting the Beverage Cards. This way I do not have to keep a bunch of receipts and then have to check through all of them against the bill on the morning of disembarkation.

By using the Beverage Card -- I get a receipt and check it against the previous one. If everything is okay, then I throw away the old receipt. They also take off the 15% gratuity from the card.

At the end of the cruise, any amount left on the card is credited to your ship board account. Example -- if you buy 1 $100 Beverage Card and only use $87, your account will be credited with $13. This example is not for the soda card.

We used to get he soda card when they gave you the whole can not just a glass full. Now I just stock up at Happy Hour, I get the can for about $1.75 and that includes tip. Since each can is two glasses that is a better deal.

Edited by KirkNC

Personally ... and you don't have to agree with me ... When on vacation I like my soda served to me in a glass with ice. If I want a "can" of soda I could grab one from my refrigerator and drink it at my kitchen table. I also feel that on HAL cruises the soda in my glass is more towards the 8oz mark and not 6oz (1/2 can) size. I feel the $25 soda card to be a good value for me.

How much is the charge for one soda? ie. How many drinks with a $25 beverage card?

$2.24per glass or 22 glasses for the $50 soda card so it costs you $1.12 per glass. Using the Happy Hour method I described you get a glass for $.90 plus I like having the cans in my cabin as I drink Coke in the morning instead of coffee. You can't find a Coke anywhere onboard first thing in the morning unless you have them in your cabin ;)

$2.24per glass or 22 glasses for the $50 soda card so it costs you $1.12 per glass. Using the Happy Hour method I described you get a glass for $.90 plus I like having the cans in my cabin as I drink Coke in the morning instead of coffee. You can't find a Coke anywhere onboard first thing in the morning unless you have them in your cabin ;)

KirkNC - I don't think your calculations are correct. Here is a reprint of a previous post of mine:

"On our March Westerdam cruise I purchased a $50 value soda card for $25. The Bartender made it very clear it was for fountain soda only. They were very upfront about it. My soda card was charged $1.50 + sc of 0.23 for a total of $1.73 for each “glass” of soda.

Without a soda card, you can buy a “can” of soda for $1.95 + sc of 0.30 for a total of $2.25 per can.

Doing the math - if we each spend $50 ... I get 58 glasses of soda (if I buy 2 soda cards @ $25 each) and you get 22 cans of soda for your $50. (note: this does not include any happy hour pricing)

I never felt they over-iced my drink. I felt I got more like 8 oz - others think it's more like 6 oz. I prefer to be served a "drink" and not a can and some ice. Different strokes for different folks."

Personally ... and you don't have to agree with me ... When on vacation I like my soda served to me in a glass with ice. If I want a "can" of soda I could grab one from my refrigerator and drink it at my kitchen table. I also feel that on HAL cruises the soda in my glass is more towards the 8oz mark and not 6oz (1/2 can) size. I feel the $25 soda card to be a good value for me.

I agree. I like my drinks with ice typically. Are there refills? Like if I ordered a soda at lunch, do I just get the one glass or would I get refills through the meal?

I agree. I like my drinks with ice typically. Are there refills? Like if I ordered a soda at lunch, do I just get the one glass or would I get refills through the meal?
it's $1.50 +15% for each glass Edited by jtl513

We are just off the Rotterdam (disembarked Dec 11th in Rome). We had the $50 soda card. I, whether it's at McDonald's, the ballpark, the cinema, or wherever, hate to buy a glass (or cup) of ice with a little bit of soda (pop, soft drink) in it. So I always ordered it "no ice", with a glass of ice on the side, which was no problem at all.

KirkNC - I don't think your calculations are correct. Here is a reprint of a previous post of mine:

"On our March Westerdam cruise I purchased a $50 value soda card for $25. The Bartender made it very clear it was for fountain soda only. They were very upfront about it. My soda card was charged $1.50 + sc of 0.23 for a total of $1.73 for each “glass” of soda.

Without a soda card, you can buy a “can” of soda for $1.95 + sc of 0.30 for a total of $2.25 per can.

Doing the math - if we each spend $50 ... I get 58 glasses of soda (if I buy 2 soda cards @ $25 each) and you get 22 cans of soda for your $50. (note: this does not include any happy hour pricing)

I never felt they over-iced my drink. I felt I got more like 8 oz - others think it's more like 6 oz. I prefer to be served a "drink" and not a can and some ice. Different strokes for different folks."

Your right, I was using the can price. I don't think I have ever bought a glass so I did not approach the math right. Thanks for catching it! To update it for my HH strategy, my $50 gets me 29 cans (($1.95 + $1.00) x 15% = $3.39 for two cans.....$50/$3.39 = 29 cans) or 59 glass, virtually the same as the card. Not a bargin over the card but since I want to drink it in the morning in lieu of coffee and can't find it anywhere at that time it will contiinue to work for me. Again, thanks for catching my error.

No free refills.

You pay for every glass of coke just like when you order a can of coke without the card.

The only free refills you will get are water, iced tea, hot tea, and coffee and milk.