Mariner, Concierge Level

sarawithanh

The regent website is so utterly confusing and all those asterisks and fine print.

That is probably the one thing turning me off the brand.

I was excited about free wifi until I saw the asterisk - not being offered til winter 2014. ANNOYING.

I agree. In my opinion, this sort of marketing is killing the brand value

I also recommend not booking a concierge suite. There are nice Category G suites, such as 761, available that are better IMO than the Category E suites available and will save you $600 pp.

Very true but every year since the introduction of concierge suites, the number of non-concierge suites seems to dwindle! :(

oh my - thanks for all the suggestions!

I started drafting an email to my mom with bullet points.

We are having a family pow-wow tomorrow night to discuss everything :) I'll make sure Grandpa writes these things down on his list to bug the TA about

(my parents just want us to hurry up and book our cruise so that they can get back to planning theirs for Italy/Croatia now that they don't have to 'worry' about traveling with my grandfather LOL)

Yes I will be cutting beach vacation short - much to hubby's dismay. But it'll be worth it. I think we will be taking a Friday flight for a Sunday night cruise departure.

I'm probably the one that is more introverted. Does not mean I am not social, but I am not always "ON" as my mom likes to say. HEHEHE. I think she is going to emphasize to Grandpa that I definitely do need my alone/quiet/recharge/reading time :) I love reading on vacation but I think I will get plenty of time for that on this cruise b/c unlike the last cruise where my friends wanted to drink and party til 2am, I'm sure I'll be ready for sleep by 10pm since I'm with Gramps!

Thanks for the tip on Helicopter. I've never ridden in one before and even if its only for 10mins, should be worth it :) especially if it costs similar to cab/train - my boss mentioned the helicopter yesterday too - she said she regretted not taking it because the taxi ride was longer and cost the same! (not sure how many years ago this was though).

We were looking at the WHYCHOOSE promotion - we may be able to get the $200 credit but I am not sure about the wifi - that wifi promotion has an asterisk is not being offered until Winter sailings. That being said, my mom and I both think (if we get concierge level) that the $15 per day wifi charge is probably going to be well worth the $$ spent, even if its from my own pocket!

NANA - I "think" we are moving forward with the original cruise and cutting my family beach vacay short. Gramps is calling TA today to discuss more things. We're having a family meeting with my mom & dad tomorrow night to discuss more things.

But if all goes well, and the TA doesn't make my Gramps angry, I think we may be booking this thing ASAP - hopefully by the weekend!

It is definitely time for me to get back to Crossfit & dieting so that all my pretty dresses fit again for the cruise :) oops.

...and I think I need to finally purchase a new DSLR camera - I've had one on my list for a year or so now waiting for price to come down - which it has...but I still may wait until February when new models are released :-D

Regarding showering/walking in Europe.

I will definitely help Grandpa with walking in Europe. I'm used to that with my Mother in Law - she has really bad knees. Actually, my grandfather and my mother in law both had knee replacements within a few months of each other.

so while my grandfather has a "good" knee. I think his other knee is still bothering him so I will def keep an eye out for that. He is also under strict instruction by my parents to go to a "Functional Fitness" class just for every day activities that he needs strength in. and we may need to coax him back onto Weight Watchers after the holidays :) :)

As for the shower - he lives by himself here in DC metro area, in a townhouse, and has a big tub, shower thing with steps up to the tub and then he has to take a big step into the tub - He hasn't had many issues with that, so I am not terribly worried about showering in Europe or on cruise - the shower only stall in cabin will be fine, and I'm sure whatever hotel we stay at in Monte Carlo will have a tub shower and it'll be fine, but if he needs help I will just cover my eyes and hold out my hand if he needs to brace himself. LOL!

One more question I just thought of,

Do ya'll recommend mid-ship, forward, aft? I get motion sickness and will be taking pills so I generally don't feel anything on the meds.

I suggested that wherever our cabin is, if we have a choice, that we should definitely be near an elevator.

But I also wonder if there is a particular section on the ship ya'll recommend that is closer to most things to allow for less walking for gramps?

I know Mariner is much smaller than Carnival, but I remember my friends and I would walk complete lengths of the ship multiple times in a day - which is fine b/c we are young, but I don't want Grandpa to have to do that.

As far as motion sickness, you want as low and mid ship as possible. With Mariner, the regular suites are all the same, so no worries about not having a balcony, etc. We usually book on deck 7 right by the elevator. I think we were in 746 last time. There is no noise from the elevator at all (I was worried a little about that but it was a non-issue).

Thanks!!

god I love this message board. grandpa is also happy I am researching. I guess he doesn't know how fully I research my 'big' trips - even if Regent is "all inclusive"

what is the plug situation? On the Carnival Legend. my husband and I ran into plug issues. I think we managed to find two plugs near the nightstands on either side of bed - but I can't remember exactly. and I know there are only two plugs on the vanity. which proves problemematic with two iphones and two cameras to keep charged ;)

I'm thinking about bringing a plug extender this time around, with more slots for USB cords. the only things that need charging use usb cords in my life. I usually suck it up for the hair dryer and use the ship's b/c in all likelihood its humid so I don't need to bother with the dryer or flat iron - futile efforts!

It sounds like Grandpa is the one going to do the booking, make sure he is Very Very clear regarding the need for a "Shower only" cabin, as someone else said the tubs on Mariner are not safe! It's because the sides are so high and with the marble surround difficult to get in and out (for me at 5ft tall almost impossible).

For your grandfather at his age this is a huge safety issue! Maybe you can get your grandfather to give his TA permission to speak with you regarding the booking.

Next thing is to get out both your passports and touch them, feel them and read and re-read that expiration date. That way you have no last minute drama!

PS truly don't waste money on a concierge cabin, not worth it! Remember no bad cabins on Mariner only different locations!

Your cruise includes these amenities must mention the code "Why Choose" !

DURATION. AND YES YOU DO GET FREE WIFI FOR THIS SAILING,

NIGHTS

DEPARTS

Jun 22

FEATURED OFFER:VIEW ALL OFFERS

• FREE Unlimited WiFi

• $200 per suite shipboard credit

Mention Promo Code WHYCHOOSE

RETURN TO CRUISE

MONTE CARLO TO BARCELONA

2-for-1 Fares Plus

Early Booking Savings

FREE Roundtrip Air*

FREE Business Class Air* in Penthouse Suites and Higher

FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions*

FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Luxury Hotel* in Concierge Suites and Higher

FREE Transfers Between Airport and Ship*

FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities

FREE Unlimited Beverages Including Fine Wines and Premium Spirits

FREE Open Bars and Lounges Plus In-Suite Mini-Bar

Concierge-Level Amentities

Edited by nana541

Oh yes, I looked at my passport the other night when Mom was asking when it expired. I just got married 5 years ago, and changed my passport 3 years ago prior to a Costa Rica trip. So mine is good until 2020.

No worries - I won't EVER run into the expired passport issue again. I had gotten a passport in the late 1990s for a HS trip to Russia, and apparently as a minor, the passport expires after 5years. Well my dad hung onto my passport and I didn't need it again until college when I went to Spring Break to Ireland with a friend studying abroad. I was IN line at the airport while mom, dad, boyfriend were chatting off to the side. I looked at my password and looked at date and literally started bawling. It was awful. My dad felt awful. Thankfully he worked at Capitol Building so we were able to expedite a passport and I left two days later, but still. it was heartbreaking!

Grandpa just went to Israel last year and I think renewed his passport for that so he is good to go.

I just looked and the following shower only Category G suites are available for booking: 744, 756, 762, 763, 764 and 766.

744 is forward of the rear elevators a short distance while 756 is right at the rear elevators. I suggest choosing one of those two suites.

It shouldn't be a problem but please emphasize to your Grandfather that he should not book a guarantee if one is offered. With a guarantee, you may very well get a suite with a tub.

Regent is the only way to go because of the dress code and suite size. I took a cruise that also began in Monte Carlo and I highly recommend that you arrive a day early. We flew into Paris and then to nice.there were flight delays due to weather and we arrived in Monte Carlo several hours later than expected. regent had met flight inNice though and all went smoothly on their end. there were several multigenerational travelers so you'll have a great time. Prepare to be spoiled!! 2

we had a penthouse C and it was the size of an apartment. ,very spacious. have fun. You are a great granddaughter and making lasting memories.

Thanks Linda,

I keep trying to talk him to Penthouse but I am not succeeding. Teehee. :p

I think the Deluxe/or Concierge room will be plenty big - certainly bigger than what I've experienced :D and I can't wait to see this Walk In Closet! I'm going to need it for all my dresses.

What is the hanger situation like? On Carnival, it was abysmal and I had to put 3 dresses on one hanger so that I could make room for Hubby's suits and such.

You should have plenty of hangers in the closet, but if you need more, just ask the room steward and they will bring them. And they have some of those wonderful cushioned hangers for strapless and evening dresses in addition to the regular wood ones.

A couple of other thoughts popped into my head:

Packing: try not to overpack, packing and unpacking takes time PLUS you have to keep track of your stuff. Of course, if grandfather springs for a category that includes a butler, the staff will work wonders for you.

Suitcase weight is also an issue. I was always worried about the carryons and on the look out for the suitcases while intransit. I would request wheelchair assistance for the ease of navigating an elderly person in the airport: less stress on their joints and extra help. l could count on Mom to clutch her carryon and mine would be nestled between her legs. I would push/pull our suitcases while she was wheeled.

A thin rubber mat for the shower/tub might be something to bring along.

A cane that has a fold up seat would be useful. Of course, in Europe, there are lots of local coffee shops to visit for a breather and enjoy the ambiance.

Mariner shower suites have rubber mats - I don't know about the tub suites.

GOOD idea about wheelchairs for transiting airports - VITAL! Have it arranged ahead of time with the airlines and have them arranged for ALL flights! BIG HELP!

Good point Ted . . . . I agree about the wheelchairs in the airports - it's amazing how long the distances are!

The hangers in the closets are wood (plus a few padded ones) and take up alot of room. You can ask your steward/ess for wire hangers.

There are washer/dryers on every deck so doing laundry isn't an issue/ Plus the ships laundry/cleaning service is good as well - but it is an expense.

Once you're booked and paid in full, remember you need to book your tours (I'm sure everyone will pipe up with good suggestions).

And make reservations in the 2 specialty restaurants: Prime7 and Signatures.

Lots of good suggestions!

Agree about the wheelchair idea in airports, even if he is very mobile. A lot of walking just tires older people out. We recently returned from a river cruise with our good friends. He is 74 and usually fine, but the walking in the Frankfort airport almost did him in.