Tickets

mw8811

It is now less than three weeks until we board the Silver Spirit but no sign of any tickets. Our TA called Silversea last week and they said they were working on them! I'm not sure what we do if they're not here by the end of this week. Maybe we have to go to their office in FLL and hammer on the doors the day we are supposed to get on the cruise and demand them.

As this is our first cruise on Silversea and we were trying to embark with an open mind this is not a very good first impression.

Mary

On our last SS cruise we received our travel documents about 10 days before the cruise departed. We were leaving home two days later to fly to Florida for a week's holiday before joining the ship. :eek:

Sometimes people seem to get their docs a good few weeks before departure, other times it's closer to departure.

Your TA can print everything off for you anyway, although we prefer to not have this happen.

Edited by Nigella

You are likely to get the materials in ample time. However, even if you do not, Silversea will take care of you. On a recent SS cruise, a couple had left all of their documents (except passport) at home. They were nonetheless allowed to board, and luggage tags with suite numbers were handwritten at the check-in desk. I can imagine difficulty only in the unlikely circumstance that someone else shows up for that voyage claiming the same suite to which you had been assigned.

You don't really need tickets per se to get on the ship. I can't even remember the last time the actual ship asked me to see them. What you may need them for is to get into the dock area to board the ship. It depends on where you are embarking and how tight security is.

We board the Spirt on Monday and we've had our tickets for almost a month now.

As RachelG noted, you can board without them. Just passport is really all that is required. However It's always nice to find the travel documents waiting in the mail.

OP - I understand it is part of the excitiment of going on a cruise and imagine it's a little disappointing to have to keep waiting.

Tickets are here on the Island - just not in my hot sticky little hands yet but the TA has them - phew!

Good to hear! I know how nerve wracking it can be when departure date is fast approaching and you don't have them.

As others have pointed out, strictly speaking you don't need them. But it surely puts your mind at rest when you do have them.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you!

I think you need them to get into the port at Ft Lauderdale we did when we last went out of there three years ago - its not like it used to be now that the mega ships leave from there.

Now I have to get all our things together for the adventure - with Christmas etc I'm not in my usual pre-cruise frenzy (yet) LOL

Mary

Yes, in Ft Lauderdale, you have to show them at the entrance to the port. We have sailed out of there three times. The first time, I had put the tickets in my carryon suitcase which was in the back of the cab, so had to have the cabbie open the trunk so I could get out and dig through stuff to find them. All the while, there was a huge line of cars backing up behind us as several mega ships were also leaving that day.

SO--word to the wise, have them and your passports, which they also want to see at the port entrance, readily accessable.

Yes, in Ft Lauderdale, you have to show them at the entrance to the port. We have sailed out of there three times. The first time, I had put the tickets in my carryon suitcase which was in the back of the cab, so had to have the cabbie open the trunk so I could get out and dig through stuff to find them. All the while, there was a huge line of cars backing up behind us as several mega ships were also leaving that day.

SO--word to the wise, have them and your passports, which they also want to see at the port entrance, readily accessable.

So you were the one!