Conditioning shampoo - your opinion?

Kinkacruiser

I am fine with whatever is provided on the ship. If whatever they provide is not acceptable, bring your own from home and get over it. I have bigger issues to worry about such as whether or not the sun will shine every day of my vacation!:D

...and even if it doesn't, I am going to relax and enjoy myself!

We didn't like the dispensers. We used mainly the bar soap. It took too much pumping of the body soap to get enough on the washcloth. Our cabin steward left the bars of soap which I hid to take them home. I also hid the small bottles of lotion - I like the smell. It must be cheaper to fill a bottle with generic body soap and less waste. I brought my own shampoo and conditioner.

I am in total agreement. I have already put aside my little bottles to take with me, one of each will last me almost the entire week. :)

I am fine with whatever is provided on the ship. If whatever they provide is not acceptable, bring your own from home and get over it. I have bigger issues to worry about such as whether or not the sun will shine every day of my vacation!:D

...and even if it doesn't, I am going to relax and enjoy myself!

Not a problem for me as I don't have much up there and all of it is gray or silver! I do need to insure that the Epsom Salts container is full along with the ladle to get it into the Jaccuzi in my Owners Suite at the end of the day of a long Excursion to relax the pains away..... Yes my wife and I are spoiled rotten.

I love 3:1 philosophy bath gel bubble bath and shampoo (so many yummy scents) and bring a bottle of it on cruises. I also use the best leave in conditioner ever called Redken Extreme anti snap. My husband is nearly bald and likes a dove bar original scent for everything so that's all we bring. In hotels or cruises I usually collect the small sample sizes and make a basket for overnight guests with a scrunchy washer, some chocolates, a pack of cards etc and put in the guest room. When I used to travel for business I used to take the little bottles and donate to a woman's shelter. So that said I don't personally use the little bottles but made use of them so will miss them .

I love 3:1 philosophy bath gel bubble bath and shampoo (so many yummy scents) and bring a bottle of it on cruises. I also use the best leave in conditioner ever called Redken Extreme anti snap. My husband is nearly bald and likes a dove bar original scent for everything so that's all we bring. In hotels or cruises I usually collect the small sample sizes and make a basket for overnight guests with a scrunchy washer, some chocolates, a pack of cards etc and put in the guest room. When I used to travel for business I used to take the little bottles and donate to a woman's shelter. So that said I don't personally use the little bottles but made use of them so will miss them .

We will miss getting the Elite upgrade of these too. Same reason, great to have for our granddaughters who always forget to bring their own things ... especially the lip balm.

LuLu

I have an idea...

It's clear that Princess' motive for going to these large bottles is to save money by not having passengers take the little bottles and soaps home.

Let's make it backfire on them by also taking home the large bottles.

Even if I don't like what's in the bottles, the bottles themselves are useful.

And, most of all, I want to make sure they're are not using the same bottles from passenger to passenger. That's a bacterial and/or viral epidemic just waiting to happen all the time.

Think about it folks: someone uses the toilet, and then climbs directly into the shower where the first thing they do is pump one of those bottles. Yuck! That's exactly what will happen.

Edited by tothemall&beyond

I have an idea...

It's clear that Princess' motive for going to these large bottles is to save money by not having passengers take the little bottles and soaps home.

Let's make it backfire on them by also taking home the large bottles.

Even if I don't like what's in the bottles, the bottles themselves are useful.

And, most of all, I want to make sure they're are not using the same bottles from passenger to passenger. That's a bacterial and/or viral epidemic just waiting to happen all the time.

Think about it folks: someone uses the toilet, and then climbs directly into the shower where the first thing they do is pump one of those bottles. Yuck! That's exactly what will happen.

I take home the Kleenix boxes and even ask for an extra one. They fit nicely into my car door pocket. I wouldn't mess with taking the dispensers, they would probably charge you for them if they turn up missing. I took the soap dispenser out to see why it wasn't pumping properly and I couldn't get it back into the shower. Cabin steward was not happy with me - claims that if the dispenser top got broke they didn't have a replacement. I rolled my eyes at that comment.:rolleyes:

Edited by elliair

• 2 weeks later...

There simply could not have been conditioner in that shampoo! My hair was a dry, tangled mess after the second washing. Thank goodness I'd brought my own conditioner to use. The shampoo smelled wonderful (Royal Princess)!

I was on the Coral from Dec 7th-18th. I did NOT like the combined shampoo and conditioner. I didn't feel like my hair was clean nor was there enough conditioner to make it easier to comb out. I usually bring shampoo and conditioner bottles that are 1/2 full. Whatever I don't use I leave on the ship. I was very happy I brought my shampoo and conditioner. I also asked for a bar of soap since I find the body liquid soap drying on my skin.

Sali

Glad I've been forewarned...I never use a combo shampoo/conditioner at home, if I did I would look like a peeled onion. I guess I'll have to tote my own shampoo, and think I'll put a bar of soap in my luggage also.

I'm surprised we can use the hair dryer free of charge...

I use an organic body wash at home & was pleasantly surprised to find the shower gel fine on my skin!

The combined shampoo / conditioner though was a whole new story..... I say this as a woman who does not even own a hair dryer and considers a hairdresser a place to visit once every couple of years :D - the combined shampoo / conditioner was REVOLTING! As others have posted, left my long straight hair a mess. I had packed Aegean Oil which was my only saving grace! I used more of that in the 11 day cruise (trying to salvage my tangles) than I have in the years of owning it!

I will be packing my own shampoo & conditioner in the future!

We just got off the Golden and had the new dispensers. I can honestly say I hated them.

First off, they take up some of the room in the already tiny shower. Secondly, for me, they were hard to reach and use--many pumps to get enough product to use and an awkward placement to reach.

Also, I prefer bar soap to gels, and this particular gel had little sudsing action. Luckily they also provided small bars of soap.

I never like shampoo/conditioner combos, and this was even worse than most. Usually on a ship I don't need much, if any, conditioner, because the water is so soft, but this stuff left my shoulder-length hair tangled and hard to manage.

I didn't have any extra conditioner along, so it was a pain. I did have a couple of small bottles of shampoo, and once I started using these instead of the dispenser stuff, it was better.

Took me 18 pumps to dispense enough shampoo to lather my hair. Really?

Combo shampoos have never worked for me, just leaves my hair a tangled mess. Luckily I brought my own conditioner.

I understand the need to cut costs and protect the environment but why can't they take their customers needs into consideration and provide decent products.

And don't get me started on the soap. What do those little soaps cost, a nickel? I spend $1,000+ on a cruise and I can't get a nickel bar of soap. Hmmmm.

I suppose next we'll have to start bringing our own towels and tp.

• 4 weeks later...

I am wondering if you can ask to have the dispensers removed from your bathroom for the duration of your cruise - I would be a bit dubious about using them - are the containers cleaned properly after the previous occupants ?!?!?!?

We wouldnt need them as neither my husband or I have ever used the products provided and normally just ask our steward to remove the little bottles for us, they have always happily obliged. We prefer to bring all our own products - cant bear that awful eucalyptus smell, they are cheap products which dry the skin - far easier to pack what you like and then there is nothing to moan about ;)

We prefer to bring all our own products - cant bear that awful eucalyptus smell, they are cheap products which dry the skin - far easier to pack what you like and then there is nothing to moan about ;)

The new products do not have the eucalyptus smell.

I love the idea of the dispensers - big cost savings all around. (I loathe wasting plastic like those small bottles do.)

Not a fan of the product inside, but I always bring my own, anyway.

I love the idea of the dispensers - big cost savings all around. (I loathe wasting plastic like those small bottles do.)

Not a fan of the product inside, but I always bring my own, anyway.

I would rather have a small container of a product I would use than a large container of a product I would avoid using.