The Ugly -- Carnival Triumph

shrimp56

When you read this you can see Carnival corporation seemed to defer maintenance, upgrades and repairs on their ships. They have now spent 300mil to correct part of this along with the money for the Costa stuff. I can see now why AC and Plumbing go unfixed and there are major cutbacks in service. Below is a news article from CC about Saga Holidays. This is the was a cruise line should be run.

"According to a Saga spokesperson, "It was discovered that one of the six generators could not operate properly without a part that needed to be manufactured." Because the air conditioning needs to run at full capacity in the Caribbean, "The Captain decided that for passenger comfort, it would be better to change the itinerary." "

Re the SAGA RUBY.

This is from someone actually on board rec'd from e-mail yesterday.

There is a problem and as usual, Saga does the best for their passengers. I have been cruising them practically every year since 1998.

Stephen

QUOTE:

On the evening of the third night, the Captain came onto the public

address system to inform passengers that due to the severe weather

conditions in the Caribbean, we would have to delay our arrival and, temporarily seek shelter at the port of Santa Cruz, Tenerife. This delay meant that we would have to miss the Caribbean ports of St Kitts and St Vincent. Frankly, all Caribbean islands look the same to me so it didn't affect me in the slightest. Needless so say, many passengers were very disappointed as they wanted to get away to a warmer climate for the winter but I would rather be disappointed than have to endure several days of horrid and very uncomfortable sea conditions.

Fast forward a couple of days to today (12th) and at about 12.30 am the

captain came onto the blower once more to announce that the air conditioning generator was having a few problems and because it would

be needed continuously once we reached the Caribbean, we would be

delaying our departure at Santa Cruz until 1700 in order to give the

engineers time to fix the mechanical glitches. At 1800, yet another

announcement was made by the Captain. This time the news was worse.

It transpires that the air conditioning generator requires a crucial

spare part and, as it cannot be manufactured and fitted in a short space of time, the farewell cruise to the Caribbean would, unfortunately, have

to be cancelled in its entirety and replaced by a Mediterranean cruise

instead.

Well, you can imagine the reaction of passengers. Whilst

some couldn't care less where we went as they were on board to say farewell to a beloved ship, some wanted to return home immediately while others argued that they weren't prepared for a trip to the Med as they had not packed any winter clothing and did not relish holidaying in the freezing cold (have you seen the weather forecast for the Med? It's snowing! Brrrr....!!!!)

The Chief Executive, Robin Shaw is flying down to meet the ship

tomorrow to personally explain to passengers the situation we

find ourselves in and, presumably, to give passengers options as to what they can do.

Un Quote:

If the Saga changed itinerary, you can bet there are a thousand posts demanding a full refund. People expect perfection at rock bottom price.

Ah! You don't Saga Cruises and Saga passengers! The majority will usuaally in something like just grin and say 'Oh well."

In 2009 on SAGA ROSE.... 55 days Sydney to Southampton.... breakdown at sea... three days limped into Cebu. Five days ashore in hotels.... but just to give as the chance... passengers were given their choices to fly to Hong Kong in hotel there and have a four day excursion. About 75% of the passengers choose to staay in Shagrila Hotel in the beach in Cebu!

Two weeks later we had another problem with electrical... this time in Singapore. Five Days in Raffles Hotel.... everyone ashore. Tours etc etc in Singapore and passengers were given choices to fly to Penang or Bankok. Again about 75% remained in Singapore. We had lost out ten days cruise.... in the end they get going and missed just two ports. The resst of them got going as planned. Most people thought the 'holiday' in Cebu aand Singapre was a plus!!!!!

Stephen

I think this may be the best quote in the article:

"Carnival's court filing says the contract that passengers agree to when they buy a ticket "makes absolutely no guarantee for safe passage, a seaworthy vessel, adequate and wholesome food, and sanitary and safe living conditions.":eek:

I guess, all the people who say they expect working toilets & A/C need

to read this....

Ted

• 2 weeks later...
I think this may be the best quote in the article:

"Carnival's court filing says the contract that passengers agree to when they buy a ticket "makes absolutely no guarantee for safe passage, a seaworthy vessel, adequate and wholesome food, and sanitary and safe living conditions.":eek:

I guess, all the people who say they expect working toilets & A/C need

to read this....

Ted

You could make a very interesting wallpaper with quotes and passages from cruise contracts.