GBR cruise or land?

jarand

We are considering this cruise, tagging it onto a Sydney/New Zealand cruise in November. My question is whether this would be a good sampling itinerary of the Gold Coast/GBR, or whether it would be smarter to spend a week in Cairns with a car. We're not divers or serious snorkelers, but we'd love to experience the GBR and Australia. Advice appreciated!

Tue Oct 28 Sydney, Australia, Depart 6:30pm

Wed Oct 29 Newcastle, Australia 7:00am-4:00pm

Thu Oct 30 At Sea

Fri Oct 31 At Sea

Sat Nov 1 Cairns, Australia, Arrive 10:00am; overnight

Sun Nov 2 Cairns, Australia, Depart 5:00pm

Mon Nov 3 Willis Island, Australia (Cruising) 11:00am-1:00pm

Tue Nov 4 Airlie Beach, Australia 8:00am-6:00pm

Wed Nov 5 At Sea

Thu Nov 6 Brisbane, Australia 8:00am-5:00pm

Fri Nov 7 At Sea

Sat Nov 8 Sydney, Australia Arrive 6:30am

The only way to see anything of the reef is to get in the water. Snorkelling can give a good view and even beginners can have a great time. You would have two opportunities to view the reef on the cruise you mention - either from Cairns or from Airlie Beach. Willis Island is only a 'drive-by' so the ship goes out into international waters and they can sell duty free products on board.

There are plenty of things to do in Cairns, so maybe planning to see the reef from Airlie Beach would be best, but you would have to go on the ship's tour to the Outer Reef pontoon. This isn't cheap but it is a great trip. Once on the pontoon you can snorkel, view the reef through a glass wall of an under-water room, or go on a semi-submersible (submarine type of vessel).

The usual option for the reef from Cairns is Green Island, but I don't think the coral there is very good.

If your main interest is seeing the reef and experiencing Australia, probably a land tour would be better. You could spend a few days in Cairns or Port Douglas (a bit further north) where there are great trips to the reef. You could fly to other destinations in Australia to see more of the country than you would see on a cruise. We love cruising, but you won't see a lot of the country. :)

We are considering this cruise, tagging it onto a Sydney/New Zealand cruise in November. My question is whether this would be a good sampling itinerary of the Gold Coast/GBR, or whether it would be smarter to spend a week in Cairns with a car. We're not divers or serious snorkelers, but we'd love to experience the GBR and Australia. Advice appreciated!

Tue Oct 28 Sydney, Australia, Depart 6:30pm

Wed Oct 29 Newcastle, Australia 7:00am-4:00pm

Thu Oct 30 At Sea

Fri Oct 31 At Sea

Sat Nov 1 Cairns, Australia, Arrive 10:00am; overnight

Sun Nov 2 Cairns, Australia, Depart 5:00pm

Mon Nov 3 Willis Island, Australia (Cruising) 11:00am-1:00pm

Tue Nov 4 Airlie Beach, Australia 8:00am-6:00pm

Wed Nov 5 At Sea

Thu Nov 6 Brisbane, Australia 8:00am-5:00pm

Fri Nov 7 At Sea

Sat Nov 8 Sydney, Australia Arrive 6:30am

As you are already doing a cruise, I think it would be smarter to hire a car in Cairns for a week, and do a day trip (or two) to the Great Barrier Reef on a day when the weather is perfect for a visit.

This is a really beautiful tropical region, Cairns, Port Douglas, Daintree, and Cape Tribulation.

http://www.daintreecoast.com/

http://www.visitportdouglasdaintree.com.au/

http://www.cairns-greatbarrierreef.org.au/

Edited by MMDown Under

Hire a car.

Plenty to see and do without sharing the experience with 2000 other people at the same time!

Some places lend themselves to cruising...I don't think you can get a good feel for Australia by spending a few hours at a time in places that Han accommodate large cruise shops.

Part of the joy of FNQ is being able to get out and about in the countryside and the rainforest and deserted beaches. You won't get that on a cruise.

Enjoy two different holidays in one!

DEFINITELY better to experience the GBR from a land tour !!!

Why?? -- because the east Coast of Australia has mostly prevailing easterly winds -- the often strong South Easterly winds (currently blowing here in Brisbane this week) make for GREAT sailing in the Whitsundays area, but make for poor visiting to the offshore reefs. Hence it is VERY unreliable to visit the GBR on the one day that you will visit either area (Cairns or Airlie Beach) on a cruiseship. Much better to spend some time in one of those areas and pick a good quiet day to go out to the reef.

Barry

I agree with all about the car and staying the week although if you love cruising then it is a great way of travelling up there rather than by plane. Lots to see and do but with 2 days in Cairns and one in Airlie Beach, that is plenty of time to see the GBR.

I agree with all about the car and staying the week although if you love cruising then it is a great way of travelling up there rather than by plane. Lots to see and do but with 2 days in Cairns and one in Airlie Beach, that is plenty of time to see the GBR.

It is really only 1.1/2 days in Cairns and is weather dependant.

How about flying from Sydney to Hamilton island. If you can sail you can hire your own yacht or catermeran and go off into the reef & explore or if you can't sail go on an organised captained yacht trip. This would be amazing!

The OP is talking about mid October or early November and there wouldn't be any cyclones at that time of year. :)

Can still have bad weather though, my SIL was up there for two weeks in October and not one day without rain and wind. It can happen. My point is that if the OP prefers to cruise than they should, weather can dampen or rule out any type of travel. :D

Edited by MicCanberra